Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I Love Nevis In The Springtime [big pics]

brian
brian
What a cracking day, told in pics ....

First thing, Aonach Mor looks nice and snowy, above 2500' anyway snowHead

Main Snowgoose gully area, loaded with deep snow.

Ben Nevis.

Looking into the Back Coire.

Big cornice !

Careful there ...

Looking in, the backtrack/yellow belly entrance.

Easy once you're in.

Looking back up Chancer.

Towards the Grey Coires.

Down Loch Eil and the Road to the Isles.

Lemming Ridge, leading to ...

Nid ridge, beautiful spring snow.

Every silver lining has a cloud Crying or Very sad

Laughing snowHead Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
great pics, bad bad rocks though
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
good pics, I will have to consider this next year for some long weekends.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Magnificent - rock and roll! Makes you proud to be British - good on you brian. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks to have more snow than New Mexico at the moment - fantastic!
The only time I skied at Aonach Mor (Easter 1994), the back corries were closed through bad weather all week - now I'm even more disappointed after seeing what I missed...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fab pix as usual Brian - I assume this was a Euan-less trip! Or is he now so good he's jumping cornices? Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian,
Great photos,hope to ski Glencoe tomorrow if weather is half decent. Congratulations on appartment in Grimentz by the way lovely place snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian,

Excellent pics as usual!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow! fantastic pictures, thank you!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow that looks fantastic - let's hope the conditions hold for a while.

Nasty damage to your skis though but I hope it was worth it Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking excellent Brian, Laughing Laughing

I bet lots of the public never imagine that late April and early May can have better skiing than January. Definately true this year.

Must try and sneak another Scottish W/E in before the end of the season.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Thanks folks. No Euan, Charlotte, his cornice jumping days are still ahead of him Laughing

The skis are not looking pretty but they've done me proud so I can't complain.

The Goose and Summit look good to be skiable on the May Day weekend and beyond snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Terrific pics and thanks for including some of the wonderful scenery lower down too. When it's good up there, it can be very good indeed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent!! My birthday is on 15th May, have skied Scotland before on that date so would love to do so again!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah I'm gonna head north sometime in May so I'm hoping the snow holds up Very Happy

My birthday's the 25th and I'll be real chuffed if there's still skiing then!

There's something extra special about a great days skiing in Scotland - could be the whisky and beer afterwards I guess Wink
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for sharing thosebrian snowHead
ski holidays
Great pics,enjoyed them alot
ski holidays
Hi Brian,

Great pics! Where were the rocks that damaged your bases, in the back corries, or traversing home??

I'm still hopeful of a trip up mid May so hoping some lifts are running then!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 brian
brian
gregh, traversing back round. The snow was pretty fresh so there were rocks just covered lurking in there. It'll be easier now cos they'll be exposed and the deeper snow lines will be more obvious.

In the back coires there was loads of snow, the cover looked excellent all the way down to the bottom of the (sadly not running) Braveheart. You could still ski back to the alpha tow on the high road and to within 50 yards or so on Rob Roy's return.

The Goose and Summit could be skiable for a few weeks yet, at the higher loading point on the Goose tow the snow is still at the top of the fences. They're opening Saturday to Monday this weekend. Numbers they get this weekend will dictate whether they do any further weekends.

If it lasts, I might just squeeze in a day or 2 around the 20th May.
snow conditions
Limited lifts on the Gorm still running today with more I believe planned over the weekend, Nevis is running at the weekends given conditions holding up and enough punters and Glenmcoe is having an end of season May Day holiday bash over the weekend into Monday then is closing for the season - the conditions at Glencoe still sound really good though. Glenshee and the Lecht have now closed for the season.

So your best bets are either Cairngorm or Nevis if the snow holds up and fingers crossed on that one - I once skied in July back in the 80s or 90s (I forget exactly when).

I'm having to make an unplanned trip up there tomorrow for family reasons for I don't know how long but I'll be sure to hit the highland pistes for a bit of spring skiing. I think the motto now has to be grab it while you can Smile
ski holidays
At Cairngorm the best snow was over the back, so if you can get hold of some touring kit some great turns can be had off the beaten track. Last Sunday the route to Ben Macdui looked to have really good cover and it looked possible to ski down to Loch Avon via Feith Buide. I skied to the top of the steeper section, but decided that wasn't worth risking as I was on my own and it might avalanche.
Depending on the forecast I'll be up there at somepoint over the weekend, maybe more than one day.
latest report
 brian
brian
roga, don't think I've ever skied in July ! May loads of times, June a couple of times but never July. Were there lifts running ?

Edit: actually I skied last July in L2A, d'oh ! but you knew what I meant wink
ski holidays
^ yes, it was the Ptarmigan bowl sometime in the 80s now I think about it - the skiing was very limited and snow wet and disappearing fast but I think it had been a bumper year for snow and it managed to hang on, just, into July. They had one t-bar running and I did it more for the novelty than anything else and I was about the only person on skis - I think the snow was gone by the end of the following week though.

There's usually a snowfield over the back that lasts all year round though.

I got a great suntan as I recall Smile
snow report
Anyone ski Nevis over the weekend?
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone ski Nevis over the weekend?

Nope, but did ski Cairngorm on Saturday - I did one run down the Ciste Fairway then took the Ciste and Ptarmigan tows up, fitted skins and headed over to Ben Macdui. On Saturday coverage was very good, didn't take the skis off once, though was a bit of rock hopping to get into Coire Dhomain from Coire Raibert. From Coire Dhomain over to Ben Macdui the coverage was complete and should give good touring for a while yet (with a bit of luck).
snow report
great day on the gorm yesterday once white lady bumps softened up - broken in middle, but hey it's May Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy