Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sending skis by courier to Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I'm keen to travel to Alps next year by train rather than car but this will mean sending skis by courier beforehand (got 3 little kids in tow). I've been searching for a reliable provider. Luggage Mule comes up but gets lots of poor reviews. Other recommendations I found in previous threads - skicarriage.com; pisteofmind and Alpine Logistics - all seem to be out of business now (not sure if this is anything related to current situation). Does anyone have any up to date recommendations? Happy to pay a premium for quality service.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Use one of the international couriers like DHL or UPS. I sent my digital piano (25kg) to Switzerland 2 years ago via UPS - they picked it up from my UK address and delivered it 5 days later. Easy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This has come up before in the context of someone thinking of starting up a business doing equipment couriering and people transfers from the UK to various resorts. And looking for forum feedback on feasibility and approach. Overall, I'd say the results weren't encouraging i.e. people found it hard to see how you could make this a viable business on a small scale. So I'm not surprised by the results of your searches.

Had you researched the cost of simply shipping the skis to your destination for collection and then return at the end of the holiday using a conventional service, as above? Is it that this is too pricey?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 17-04-20 14:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used sendmybag.com at the start of this winter, and was very pleased with how simple and well communicated it all was. DHL handled the actual pickup and delivery. All bang on time - plus a phone call from the driver at each end, though I was told there wouldn't be one in France (he actually called twice - once to say he was 1.5 hours away and was that ok? and one to say he was walking around the corner with the bags).

i just sent suitcases though and flew with my skis - as it was more expensive to send a ski bag.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LaForet, The main issue I'd seen with conventional couriers was that size was outside their standards and hence everything goes to a bespoke quote (which is bound to shift costs markedly in wrong direction). I haven't yet called to get this but will. Seems it is likely best option anyhow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@fixx, Thanks, will take a look. Main concern is reliability on timing and damage. No point in sending all that way for a holiday if they don't arrive until half way through. But standard couriers do tend to be pretty good on this.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used Trans Global Express in the past to send baggage and skis out for a season. They used TNT which took about 3 days.

Not sure how this would work once we've fully left the EU and would possibly need export/import paperwork.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
3 little kids in tow is a big logistical challenge! But the train is probably the easiest way to handle that, maybe even easier than driving.

We only have 1 child, so it’s a lot easier for us. We put all of the skis in a single bag along with clothing, etc. Then we usually have one small rolling suitcase that our son can pull if needed, and one big camping backpack. It’s incredibly easy getting skis on a train, and people on trains seem to be very friendly towards young families.

It’s just a thought, if you can’t find a shipping company you like.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I post this every time this subject comes up, but just please spare a thought for the accommodation provider who may have been hoping to get a couple of hours on the hill, but is now stuck waiting for the delivery of a client's skis or for a courier to turn up to collect them again.....

OK maybe for a hotel or big apartment block with a 24/7 reception, but really annoying for small operators!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stevomcd, Fair comment and I have thought on this - will be a hotel and I'll check with them beforehand.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@diaphon, Might work in another year but they'll be 6, 4 and (almost) 2 so feel I do need to lighten the load a bit to stay on safe side.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy