Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Chief Exec resigns

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pisteoff wrote:
... Just read James Gambrill's recent article if you want a flavour of what the new GM thinks the club is about. Freshtracks, ever more expensive luxury holidays and him being a 'ski icon' is what I take away from that....
I was just wondering what "ski luxe" was, and it turns out that they only just started.

Their blurb wrote:
The bi-monthly print and digital magazine, as well as the website,
are the destination where today’s affluent skier goes to learn, explore,
and plan their next lavish ski holiday,” said Hailey Cromwell, Supervising Editor for the publication.

Is anyone here likely to read something like that? Maybe it's "advertorial" for business-class lounges?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-01-22 14:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@philwig, You don't need to be a member of Go Outdoors to buy stuff.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs, you do if you don’t want to pay 15% more than at the competition down the road wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ousekjarr, Nikwax is cheaper there than anywhere else around here, even with the extra 15%. I don't buy it often enough to cover the cost of membership.

Is Costco a better example to use?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philwig wrote:
pisteoff wrote:
... Just read James Gambrill's recent article if you want a flavour of what the new GM thinks the club is about. Freshtracks, ever more expensive luxury holidays and him being a 'ski icon' is what I take away from that. Hardly a focus on members in my view. Therein lies the challenge for the Club - how to run a club focussed on its members - attractive to a new and growing group of members. Outsourcing Freshtracks is essential I think because it so dominates thinking and costs in the Club.
I did think that article odd.

Well the article does seem to have been written for a luxury ski magazine. He may have written something different for Dirtbaggers Monthly. But still; just a view from one of many transitory General Managers. I still maintain that the club is driven by the interests of its Leaders/Reps ( do they exclusively make up the Council?) rather than the general membership
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think On the rocks is absolutely correct. I eventually found the James Gambrill article in ski luxe and it reinforces the view that SCGB is mainly for the wealthy, so by definition cannot expect to have a large membership. To be fair, it did not appear to be written by James Gambrill himself, but if SCGB is really aiming at providing ever more expensive holidays, I'm out. As for the need for reps, I have often wondered how much value they add to off-piste holidays where a team of mountain guides or local instructors is effectively controlling what happens. OK they may bring SCGB transceivers to lend to members and are there to act on behalf of the SCGB as necessary, but perhaps there are more efficient ways of providing local support to Freshtracks customers, especially in Flaine where the SCGB operates throughout the season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ on the rocks,

Good to hear from you ski buddy, hope all goes well with you.

Yeah, I haven't ever used freshtracks, so all I see if it is dominating the SCGB website, annoyingly often to the exclusion of what I want it for e.g. weather, resort reports, news, deals, advice, discounts, etc etc

But I can see how members like you who do use it, see it as a valuable resource. I think maybe if it wasn't loss making & if it didn't seem to need so much management attention & club money, I would be happier with it. You point about no need for reps on freshtracks or ilg days is spot on imho. This should have happened years ago also (like before selling hq maybe!? rolling eyes )

Tbf, to the club, I think the in resort Facebook pages for member meet ups & self organising shows the way to go. I.e. become a facilitor of member meet ups, skiing, guides, discounts, expert advice, etc, etc, etc using social technology to reduce costs & increase networking and bulk buying (discounts) to secure value for members. Simple Simon stuff really!!

P.s. freshtracks even though it's currently not making money as is, would be worth quite a lot of money imho. E.g. goodwill, brand, access to members, loyal repeat customers, and a business model that probably just needs some freshening up. Some crowd like Mark Warner or whoever could make a really good business out of it I'd imagine. Plus it's a great time to sell a business, valuations are frothy.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@horgand,
Quote:

I can see how members like you who do use it, see it as a valuable resource. I think maybe if it wasn't loss making & if it didn't seem to need so much management attention & club money, I would be happier with it. You point about no need for reps on freshtracks or ilg days is spot on imho. This should have happened years ago also (like before selling hq maybe!? rolling eyes )

Tbf, to the club, I think the in resort Facebook pages for member meet ups & self organising shows the way to go. I.e. become a facilitor of member meet ups, skiing, guides, discounts, expert advice, etc, etc, etc using social technology to reduce costs & increase networking and bulk buying (discounts) to secure value for members. Simple Simon stuff really!!

P.s. freshtracks even though it's currently not making money as is, would be worth quite a lot of money imho. E.g. goodwill, brand, access to members, loyal repeat customers, and a business model that probably just needs some freshening up. Some crowd like Mark Warner or whoever could make a really good business out of it I'd imagine. Plus it's a great time to sell a business, valuations are frothy.....
Totally agreed.

I see pisteoff's facebook group has deteriorated in the usual manner. I've left it - can't be bothered. I really only joined it to lend support to admin in connection with the sH name.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

pisteoff's facebook group has deteriorated in the usual manner

Oh no! I’m missing out on a bun fight? Anyone care to share on here for non-FB folks?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@AL9000, no, if you want to eat the cake, you have to be a member of the party wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ousekjarr, “Just when I thought I was out…they drag me back in!”
I wouldn’t want to lower the tone by feeding any animosity Madeye-Smiley

Hmmm…cake!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Back on January 17 Henry John confirmed that Gerry or whatever his name is had ceased to be a director/council member at the last AGM - 25 November. Since then I've been taking the occasional look at SCGB's website to see how long it takes them to update the council. Well, the website has been updated in the last few days so the comment "Thank you for raising notice of our inaccurate records; we shall look to have these amended appropriately" has at last been treated with the urgency they feel necessary!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy