Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Chief Exec resigns

Poster: A snowHead
Yup - its fantastic - a tribute to all. Still room for SCGB or someone else to offer the other club things - and admin can only organise so many holidays ...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pisteoff,
Quote:
:

Still room for SCGB or someone else to offer the other club things

Yes. Not that I'm sure what the 'other club things' are and, being an egregiously unclubbable person, I doubt they'd interest me.

Quote:
:

admin can only organise so many holidays

I don't know about that - he'd like as not look on that remark as a challenge and, anyway, snowHeads don't seem to be clamouring for more offerings, they just lap up the steadily increasing number of trips on offer each year.

But I think I see what you're hoping to get out of the discussion here, which is ideas on either how to revamp the Ski Club or how to form a new one. Fair enough, kudos to any snowHeads who are prepared to give their time to this cause but a) it won't serve snowHeads in any way; b) such discussions will be dead in the water if Gerry Aitken continues to contribute; c) other snowHeads grinding on about all the mistakes the Ski Club has made, which some plainly can't refrain from doing, won't contribute anything to that particular debate either.

In conclusion you've signed up here, you enjoyed your holiday, why don't you quietly forget about the Ski Club like so many of us on here already have, and just enjoy being a snowHead ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

management consists of one ageing hippie and a few hamsters;

Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, blimey, if he missed the affectionate description in my post, he won't miss you highlighting it three times! Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
@pisteoff,
Fair enough, kudos to any snowHeads who are prepared to give their time to this cause but a) it won't serve snowHeads in any way; b) such discussions will be dead in the water if Gerry Aitken continues to contribute; c) other snowHeads grinding on about all the mistakes the Ski Club has made, which some plainly can't refrain from doing, won't contribute anything to that particular debate either.

Well there has been much of value in the debate imv, and for all of his rudeness, Mr HA does stimulate responses. Also ... I don't understand the 'us vs them' thing. What's stopping skiers being part of both or either, whichever suits? Don't we all get to make our own call? Or even something else? Isn't that a key strength of this forum, its not prescriptive?
This thread by definition is about SCGB - so we all get to share our views - until and unless admin decides he doesn't want to give a free forum for SCGB debate.
I do though agree that Snowheads is a welcoming 'organisation' (word used very loosely!) whereas SCGB is not atm. They do miss the lively debate that this excellent forum provides.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pisteoff wrote:
I do though agree that Snowheads is a welcoming 'organisation' (word used very loosely!) whereas SCGB is not atm.

That’s really not true! Like many here I have a foot in both camps, I’ve found almost all of my fellow SCGB skiers very welcoming indeed. I’ve never met HA but you can’t judge the SCGB by one person
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pisteoff,
Quote:

What's stopping skiers being part of both or either, whichever suits? Don't we all get to make our own call? Or even something else?

Indeed, it's a free(ish) country. However, belonging to even one club is a struggle for me, the bother and potential expense of belonging to more than one is positively inconceivable. Laughing

Quote:
This thread by definition is about SCGB - so we all get to share our views - until and unless admin decides he doesn't want to give a free forum for SCGB debate.
Sure. I'm not advocating shutting the thread down.

Happy debating!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's not us v them and never has been other than the origins of this forum when it was very definitely a case of "close the doors no freeloaders". There ought to be sHs interested in SCGB things and vice versa. But the two "memberships" don't really speak the same language - everyone in sHs is an individual and contrary to Gerry's fervid imagination there is no plotting and co-ordination to get to a hive mind position.. I don't know what the SCGB membership thinks but I sense they are not actively driving the organisation - they are sitting back and letting things be done to them by a closed group of leadership. And if SCGB members are happy with their VFM and the level of services then I'm not sure there is actual problem (though paying membership numbers probably tell the story there).

I'm thinking ahead to a time of my life when I might have more time to ski and in the past the SCGB might have provided some opportunties for me. I doubt they do now - Freshtracks hols are simply to my mind too expensive vs self organisation and/or sHs bashes.I also don't think it is an organisation close enough to how the world is changing to be able to adapt to today's U40s.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pisteoff, it’s not Ski Club -v- snowHeads! It’s a small clique within sH who just love to knock the Ski Club.

Your message seems to change depending on which side you’re addressing. Not long ago you were telling Angus how you were very much encouraged by the Club’s financial position yet over here you’re saying the opposite.

It’s that your version of having a foot in both camps? Not very honest or consistent, is it? Clearly you were being nice to Angus because you wanted something, and it’s the same over here.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the rocks wrote:
pisteoff wrote:
I do though agree that Snowheads is a welcoming 'organisation' (word used very loosely!) whereas SCGB is not atm.

That’s really not true! Like many here I have a foot in both camps, I’ve found almost all of my fellow SCGB skiers very welcoming indeed. I’ve never met HA but you can’t judge the SCGB by one person

I agree, but I can sympathise with pisteoff because of his experience after being elected to help run the SCGB. I believe that it is not unusual for people on committees governing organisations to fall out with each other (sometimes over relatively unimportant things) and the chair's leadership is of critical importance.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, self organisation is of course the ideal. I used to enjoy this before my off piste buddies got distracted by other pursuits. Freshtracks like Snoworks does provide opportunities to ski with others at a similar level. The SOPiB does this as well of course but sells out in hours. Some of the Freshtracks off piste holidays are now eye watering expensive but others are on a par with Snoworks. If you have a group of mates to ski off piste with and arrange DIY holidays then good for you, this doesn’t apply to all of us
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the rocks wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, self organisation is of course the ideal. I used to enjoy this before my off piste buddies got distracted by other pursuits. Freshtracks like Snoworks does provide opportunities to ski with others at a similar level. The SOPiB does this as well of course but sells out in hours. Some of the Freshtracks off piste holidays are now eye watering expensive but others are on a par with Snoworks. If you have a group of mates to ski off piste with and arrange DIY holidays then good for you, this doesn’t apply to all of us

I agree. The fact that many Freshtracks holidays are so expensive reinforces the criticism that SCGB mainly focuses on meeting the needs of wealthier skiers/boarders and this may be one reason why the membership is both ageing and dwindling. I have children and grandchildren who enjoy skiing and/or boarding and see no point in joining SCGB. I joined only because SCGB provided the chance to ski with others, particularly off-piste, led by someone who was like-minded and arranged a good lunch stop.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On the rocks wrote:
... I’ve never met HA but you can’t judge the SCGB by one person
But the only contact I've had with SCGB Ltd was unsolicited personal abuse and legal threats from their director in these pages.
We obviously can't "judge" their individual subscribers based on that, but obvious conclusions can be drawn about the quality and competence of their management.
latest report
philwig wrote:
On the rocks wrote:
... I’ve never met HA but you can’t judge the SCGB by one person
But the only contact I've had with SCGB Ltd was unsolicited personal abuse and legal threats from their director in these pages.
We obviously can't "judge" their individual subscribers based on that, but obvious conclusions can be drawn about the quality and competence of their management.

Indeed, if that person has served in a leadership capacity several times and no one has had any inclination to reign him in and prevent the PR damage he has been causing, nevermind the demonstration of his critical reasoning....
latest report
[quote="Hamilton Academical"]@pisteoff, it’s not Ski Club -v- snowHeads! It’s a small clique within sH who just love to knock the Ski Club.

/quote]

As opposed to an even smaller clique (1) within SCGB who just love to knock SH.....
snow report
"When we're out together, warring clique to clique" - Fred Astaire

It was that or something by the Cliquey Girls... and frankly none of the parties involved in this can carry off the necessary hot-pants after 2 years of lockdown.
snow conditions
Jehu wrote:
On the rocks wrote:
pisteoff wrote:

I agree, but I can sympathise with pisteoff because of his experience after being elected to help run the SCGB. I believe that it is not unusual for people on committees governing organisations to fall out with each other (sometimes over relatively unimportant things) and the chair's leadership is of critical importance.

Where did it all go wrong for pisteoff?

Well, ultimately when he decided he wanted to liquidate one subsidiary to get out of the lease agreement the Club had signed up to. To me and everyone else that was just shady and dishonest. Imagine if he'd got his way, stayed on as a director and the Club had ended up in court over it. What would you lot have said then?

Of course when he couldn't get his own way he went on an abuse offensive, calling people weak and spineless. That's your new mate, that is.
latest report
Huh? What nonsense. I don't want to rise to the silly bait ...
There is no value if you and I having pops at each other, and quite frankly makes the two of us - once important allies in stopping the rot at SCGB - look very poor.
To use a line you often use. You've not answered my question:
There is something interesting (at least as far as this thread is concerned) in how and whether SCGB can rebuild. What's your view? Does it it have a healthy future with once again growing membership? If so what will bring new / old members in?
I guess the two alternatives to a healthy growing future are something like:
* think its had its day, it was fantastic, but the French case means it will inevitably slowly fade out, or become very marginal
* It has a healthy niche and this can be maintained. (the niche being over 50's who ski more than 3 weeks a year and are reasonably well off?)
snow report
@pisteoff, it's not nonsense, you wanted to liquidate a subsidiary to get out of the lease agreement without paying. You then had a massive tantrum when you couldn't get your own way.
ski holidays
That's just dishonest and libellous. I guess I can share the story if people here are interested, but honestly Gerry, there is no need or value in you attacking people like this.
So what about my question, will you answer that?
ski holidays
For the perverse, this is the thread that just keeps on giving......... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Otherwise, it's just sad.
I have been a keen skier for 40 years and never felt the urge/need to be involved with SCGB and certainly would not not now. As others have mentioned, the offer is nothing and quite frankly, Gerry is an absolute Azzhat whose online presence is completely toxic to a already dying cause.
Darwinism is at work here.........RIP SCGB Skullie
latest report
Quote:

never felt the urge/need to be involved with SCGB and certainly would not not now

So when are you signing up with the scgb ? Madeye-Smiley

PS: 40 years skiing and never been on a Snowheads bash? Shocking! wink
latest report
Cas wrote:
For the perverse, this is the thread that just keeps on giving......... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Otherwise, it's just sad.
I have been a keen skier for 40 years and never felt the urge/need to be involved with SCGB and certainly would not not now. As others have mentioned, the offer is nothing and quite frankly, Gerry is an absolute Azzhat whose online presence is completely toxic to a already dying cause.
Darwinism is at work here.........RIP SCGB Skullie

The Ski Club is better off without you, imo.

Cas wrote:
@Langerzug,
Apology accepted & thank you for the explanation.
I agree "lost in translation" played a big part -another example is I don't think you are crap, but a "thread-crap" is a term used to describe a negative/pointless post.
My point being, if you do not fully understand (due to language barriers) either ask for an explanation or simply do not interact at all.
As for knowing you, we did interact a few years ago on a few things (walking distance to Schlosskopf & Schleglekopf is one I can recall) which I remember being similarly negative, so there is a pattern.
I do wish you the best skiing for this coming season.

Nice way to treat someone whose first language isn't English, not. Only an absolute Azzhat would do that.
latest report
I know nothing about present or past arguments. I'm probably part of the potential SCGB "demographic" being old and not poor. My only exposure to the Club for many years has been through Gerry's Unacademical contributions to Snowheads, his mindless (and often misogynistic) personal insults and failure to contribute anything positive. Doesn't give me any reason to want to join. Maybe there is an anti-SCGB "clique" within Snowheads but isn't that a good reason for a charm offensive for the vast majority, who like me, have no axe to grind? What we get, in contrast, is a charmless toxicity.

@Hurtle - sorry about my repeated post, above. Gerry would probably attribute it to post-menopausal feebleness. He could even be right, but it's not very kind.
latest report
Quote:

Gerry is an absolute Azzhat whose online presence is completely toxic to a already dying cause

I can see why you would say that, shocking and appalling that a Director (albeit now resigned) behaves like that. It is very telling that while SCGB Council has gone to great effort to censor me it seems to be positively encouraging Gerry, and joins in attacks on the unwanted.
latest report
@AL9000,
Quote:

So when are you signing up with the scgb ?

Does my double negative get me in? Madeye-Smiley

Quote:

PS: 40 years skiing and never been on a Snowheads bash? Shocking!

Working on it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="pam w"]
Yup Pam - Well said - anyone from SCGB Council reading this?
snow report
@Hamilton Academical,
Who are you......Gerry's "special friend"?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 19-01-22 10:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@pisteoff,
Quote:

SCGB Council... seems to be positively encouraging Gerry, and joins in attacks on the unwanted
Really? Is there public evidence of that? Who are 'the unwanted'?
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

sorry about my repeated post, above.

No worries, he's probably on his way to Alleghe now and the Ski Club is probably (hopefully) the last thing on his mind.
latest report
@cas Well, yes, in a manner of speaking. It's his new name.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 19-01-22 11:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Hurtle,
Ahh, Thanks for the explanation Madeye-Smiley
Apologies for the turn of phrase used Embarassed
latest report
@Cas,
No apology needed, it seemed entirely appropriate. wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 19-01-22 10:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Well, have just caught up on my SCGB mayhem reading homework and I think I can safely predict that the Zoom conference is off Laughing Did anyone seriously believe it might be a workable idea? Surely it's quite simple to open the lines of communication between the incoming Chairman and Snowheads - create an account and open a friendly thread. Start there at least even if it's 'not your thing' Angus rolling eyes

But I would argue that things need to happen in a particular order before anything else. Firstly, the Club Council and staff need to lock themselves away and seriously analyse where the Club is at, especially where it's at in terms of the Membership proposal and the image. What ARE the benefits of remaining, rejoining, joining? Please, I'd love to know. It's 2022, not 1903, people realise that THEY are the product and expect the gateway to great experiences to be free (or at least a paid-for no-brainer), so it had better be good. A radical repositioning is the only option and it could well be that the whole brand identity needs to change. If the Club don't do it they need to worry that someone else will come along and eat what's left of their lunch.

I learn that people pay Snowheads voluntarily, like Wikipedia, and that's a warm and fuzzy thing to hear. Deliver benefits first, get rewarded later, yet the Club continue down a rigid structure with membership forced upon those who just want to book a trip with Freshtracks where the price is already 'up there'. Even though some people don't like to make comparisons, it's right to do so because the respective models can't both survive the 21st century.

It's really hard to read negative reviews, and for the Club's management it must be doubly hard to read through 64 pages (and more elsewhere) of 'constructive' criticism Laughing but someone needs to, and take the important bits of feedback on board, and act on it. Otherwise, the end is near!
latest report
Edited in order to maintain my position in the moral stratosphere.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 19-01-22 13:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Riccardo, Quite right.

Mods - please delete that disgusting post
latest report
@Riccardo, @red 27,
I agree and have edited my initial post.
Apologies if any offence was caused Embarassed
snow conditions
@Pruman, Spot on -- SCGB Council - you there? Or someone willing to stand for Council and help drive that kind of agenda?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy