Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Chief Exec resigns

Poster: A snowHead
Gerry Aitken , what is your current official position at the SCGB?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is this thread still rumbling on.... Must say I agree with @chocksaway sentiments. Life is too short.

However I noticed that i can no longer get a SKGB discount for a Crystalski trip I am planning in March (on top of two bashes). That was my excuse for paying the fee as it was covered by the discount. Now if I don't get the Instructor Led Guiding Discount in March I will be unhappy and not sign up next year.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-executive_director unremunerated.

And volunteer rep.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
adithorp wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, you've never been bus monitor, have you?

To be fair isn't that why he's driven the van to resort to avoid that? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
adithorp wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, you've never been bus monitor, have you?

To be fair isn't that why he's driven the van to resort to avoid that? wink

Oh right, so you’re the transfer rep for the bashes and a bit special. Has Brexit affected your ability to act as bus monitor?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Solid comprehension skillz
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No. Who said I was? Did you just make that up?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Not that it matters; time will tell.

And a (French?) judge, perhaps? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

But then the strategic geniuses that enacted Members Only day and thus killed their own forum will never understand that

This was before my time, but I’ve heard it mentioned a few times on here. Who were the geniuses and what exactly happened?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

But then the strategic geniuses that enacted Members Only day and thus killed their own forum will never understand that

This was before my time, but I’ve heard it mentioned a few times on here. Who were the geniuses and what exactly happened?

People were using exploits in the old forum software as well as being extremely rude about their hosts. Then there was an expert witness who was involved in a civil case against a ski club rep who used the forum in an attempt to undermine the defense.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gerry wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-executive_director unremunerated.

And volunteer rep.

Thank you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gerry wrote:
being extremely rude about their hosts.

Sounds familiar Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To be strictly truthful @gerry you should acknowledge that people were kicked off with zero notice thus not even allowing them to pass contact details to virtual friends and this within hours led to the formation of this very (active) forum while the SCGB's walled garden withered until its mercy killing referenced earlier in this thread.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
To be strictly truthful @gerry you should acknowledge that people were kicked off with zero notice thus not even allowing them to pass contact details to virtual friends and this within hours led to the formation of this very (active) forum while the SCGB's walled garden withered until its mercy killing referenced earlier in this thread.

It was put behind a paywall without notice but everyone was welcome to join and carry on using the forum under their own name. It all came to a head late one night when a non member made libelous comments about a resort official. Mindful of being sued as the publisher, Council pulled the plug on non members.

Not to worry because the libel has continued on snowHeads ever since. Without a pot to wee wee in, admin is unlikely to be sued for libel.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MorningGory wrote:
Gerry wrote:
being extremely rude about their hosts.

Sounds familiar Very Happy

Laughing
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

People were using exploits in the old forum software as well as being extremely rude about their hosts. Then there was an expert witness who was involved in a civil case against a ski club rep who used the forum in an attempt to undermine the defense.

Shut down the whole thing coz of 2-3 people?
Certainly a ‘brave’ decision.
All very strange.

Anyway, water under the bridge.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/_YMVPXmaKds
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, don’t tell him your name either, Hartley! Smile

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 7-11-21 12:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Gerry, Happy
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:
Pruman, what’s your understanding of admin’s legal position?

Well old chap you don't answer my questions re your benefit in kind situation so why should I answer yours?

But, while I'm here, you are clearly engaging in yet more whataboutery to deflect attention. I assume Admin is an adult with a grip on his business affairs. In terms of popularity and engagement his one man band appears to out gun your 20-strong HQ staff + a full board of directors + countless Reps, yet the attempted theft of his trademark wasn't properly apologised for IMO. See why the Club isn't winning popularity contests? He's not being debated, but SCGB activities are. 

Gerry wrote:
@Pruman, it’s been confirmed by the relevant authorities that we don’t need visas.

That’s the position.

and I don't buy that because the ONLY relevant authority would be the Govt of whatever country and you won't be receiving communications from them. Who are your 'relevant authorities' exactly? 

Gerry wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-executive_director unremunerated. LOL**

And, according to French Law, I'm a remunerated rep.

FIFY

** I undertook specific training to become a NED and have board experience going back a long way. You calling yourself a NED is a bit like a homeopath calling themselves Doctor. And therein lies the problem, Directors of a small club, and getting smaller, acting like they are running a FTSE100, a Council made up of volunteers puffed up by the status but who are demonstrably clueless otherwise the long-term decline, the recent financial mess and the ongoing inactivity, wouldn't be discussion points. It should be the opposite. You always say "It wasn't me Guv, I wasn't a Director at that time. Trademarking, what trademarking?" but the point is that you HAVE BEEN a Director on and off for long enough and the Club isn't in great shape. A good old-fashioned honest SWOT analysis would be a sensible start right now. Clue - the weaknesses and threats far outweigh the strengths. The Opportunities are out there but your Council looks to be incapable of going after them. The Council minutes tell their own story if you read them one after the other. For one thing you don't meet often enough, you don't argue enough, you don't make progress. 

From your link, this made me laugh: "non-executive directors are usually chosen because of their independence and initiative, are of an appropriate caliber and have particular personal qualities."

Are all Council Members NEDs? I'm not sure you have grasped the important difference between an Executive Director and a Non-executive.
ski holidays
@Pruman, we don’t need visas so why should I deflect?

Very hard for me to make meetings going forward, what with my new work commitments, so I’ve offered to step down early.
snow report
So can be another case of "wasn't me guv" when things go further tits up?
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, don’t you worry about the Ski Club, loads of excellent people coming on Council next year. You just concentrate on getting your bus monitor qualification.
ski holidays
Like I said quality of your comprehension skills - no wonder council struggles.

And if everyone's as competent as Trademark Tony?.......
snow conditions
hawkesbaynz wrote:
Is this thread still rumbling on.... Must say I agree with @chocksaway sentiments. Life is too short.

I agree. I’ve booked one Freshtracks holiday and one Bash this year. I’m looking forward to both and the people I will meet on them.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
The Opportunities are out there but your Council looks to be incapable of going after them.

Clearly they are not out there.

Snowheads was supposed to be "Ski Club 2.0". I think what it has shown is that there was a niche for a very low overhead community led holiday club but not something that would replace the shrinking SCGB because that model belongs to the last century. For all the glamour of the ski business at the mass end it has always been low overhead, low margins.
snow conditions
@davidof, you seem to be implying the term "Ski Club 2.0" is somehow analogous to "SCGB 2.0" when it actually has no direct bearing on the SCGB.
It is historically a reference to Web 2.0, which as you know, refers to the users of an online community being enabled to create the content of it to suit themselves.
You are clearly aware that snowHeads constantly ask and give each other advice, organise stuff between them, sell stuff to each other, arrange to meet up, ski, drink, get married... U name it. Sort of like the activities of a club, only, for, by and with each other.
So in the sense that it was intended, it has performed perfectly well (IMHO).
OTOH, project an opinion onto us that we're meant to be some kind of "SCGB 2.0", and snowHeads is indeed a dismal failure.... but it isn't that, is it, and it never was.

As for a 'holiday club'... yes, the bashes are a popular element but, as an example, you yourself haven't engaged directly with the bashes for what, 15 years, and yet here you are with almost 17,000 posts to your name. Unless you have an unhealthy vicarious interest in other peoples holidays, I would suggest there is something else going on here that keeps you engaged, non?
snow report
davidof wrote:
Pruman wrote:
The Opportunities are out there but your Council looks to be incapable of going after them.

Clearly they are not out there.

Snowheads was supposed to be "Ski Club 2.0". I think what it has shown is that there was a niche for a very low overhead community led holiday club but not something that would replace the shrinking SCGB because that model belongs to the last century. For all the glamour of the ski business at the mass end it has always been low overhead, low margins.

sH was confidently predicted to attract hundreds of thousands of members. In reality, it’s fallen way, way short. The bucket shop holidays (with extras available) only seems to attract a few hundred. Many are put off by the forum bash cliquishness, I would guess.

Hover boy/Pruman

For example, the Austrian Federal Ministry of Labour have cleared us to visit their wonderful mountains without the need for visas. I knew you’d throw a hissy fit over your ‘bombshell’ dud, and you haven’t failed to disappoint. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin wrote:
you yourself haven't engaged directly with the bashes for what, 15 years, and yet here you are with almost 17,000 posts to your name. Unless you have an unhealthy vicarious interest in other peoples holidays, I would suggest there is something else going on here that keeps you engaged, non?

Yes, it is an open ski forum intended to replace the SCGB forum, so a place to discuss skiing. You either run it like that or you put it behind a paywall, up to you. I didn't realise we now had to "engage with bashes" to use the forum.

I like to help people with some useful information now and again.
latest report
Quote:

I didn't realise we now had to "engage with bashes" to use the forum

We don’t. That’s his point.
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:

sH was confidently predicted to attract hundreds of thousands of members. In reality, it’s fallen way, way short. The bucket shop holidays (with extras available) only seems to attract a few hundred. Many are put off by the forum bash cliquishness, I would guess.

And yet again you demonstrate why the SCGB if failing.

Here we have an SCGB Director who is busy playing whataboutery re another organisation that has entirely different structure and objects from the SCGB and is all the better for it, for certain types of people.

You really don't get it do you?

sHs do member to member very well because @admin lets it flow and encourages it. The SCGB has never got that, spunked unjustifiable amounts of money on a crap website and in the end binned its Marie Celeste forum. Now you've belatedly introduced your Ski Tinder with probably lukewarm at best uptake and participation.

Keep on being obsessed with putting down the bedwetters at sHs. No need to worry about the SCGB membership who say the only reason to stay a member is " loyalty" or memories of good times in the past. There's no loyalty in a coffin and you ain't exactly replacing those aging out. So whatever you believe about the SCGB being fixed after you ousted the bad apples- it isn't. You're in a terminal decline unless you do something different or reposition to be a small, minimal staff, club.

And I think that's sad because with better leadership and some humility the SCGB could still be more relevant to more people and give members their money's worth and something to be proud of, other than "oh at least we're a better class of people than those ruffians and longhairs at sHs".
ski holidays
@davidof,
Quote:

I didn't realise we now had to "engage with bashes" to use the forum.

Where does he say that? Confused
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:

BobinCH wrote:
Didn’t someone do a comparison between a SH bash and equivalent SC holiday illustrating it was extremely expensive in comparison?
Yes, roughly speaking, SH bash to Tignes (inc lift pass but not flight) £550. SCGB same week in Tignes (inc flight, ILG, but not lift pass) approaching £1800 ish. Similar standard of accommodation. I would think Reps and head office overheads are the main difference.

How about a week of social skiing in Solden mid Jan for £2199. Low season Solden - price in the real world sub £1k.

Blimey that’s ridiculous Shocked

Did they Trademark Ski Con of Great Britain? Why do the people booking these holidays put up with paying that premium?

Why does @Gerry refer to the SH bashes as bargain bucket if they’re staying in similar accommodation?

Only had 1st hand experience of the Oxalys in VT and wouldn’t call that bargain bucket?

But mainly use Snowheads for all the useful info.

Had a look at what the SCGB website offers.

Clicked on the news menu and the first link is an article on Gurgl

Or maybe it isn’t?

Where do I sign up?
snow report
@BobinCH, they've got an app too - the Ski Tinder. Just checked on the Play store - 100+ downloads. Flying off the shelves with member enthusiasm, Faceache no doubt quaking in their boots.
ski holidays
"Ski Tinder"? does that mean that SCGB (TM) is offering 3S holidays? (Snow, Ski and Something else).
snow report
The point of an app, the hole the club needs to fill - is a "meet up and ski, meet up and social, info, discounts and events in resort" phone accessed Club resource. The app doesn't seem to offer this functionality yet - and has a clunky framework, and very few users.
So far it is simply another social media channel for the Club - which is challenging for them to maintain with few member support staff. So there is even one message - not replied to - which complains about the fact the Club are not engaging with the app so it is a failure. I just don't get why Council members (eg Gerry) are so (aggressively) defensive of a historic model, rather than addressing the underlying challenge of making the Club relevant in a changed world.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, Is it really called Ski Tinder?

That would imply a well thought out idea rolling eyes
ski holidays
@pisteoff, all you ever wanted to do was throw more money at repping. For example, your 50 rep resorts initiative.
latest report
brianatab wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Is it really called Ski Tinder?

That would imply a well thought out idea rolling eyes

Nah that's just what I called it many pages back when I said if you were inventing SCGB in 2020 that's what you'd do. Credit to them for trying to go through with the idea but then they need to go all in on it- otherwise it's just another white elephant.
snow report
Gerry wrote:
@pisteoff, all you ever wanted to do was throw more money at repping. For example, your 50 rep resorts initiative.

Huh, firstly my ideas were about cost reduction and focus on members, the 50 rep resorts initiative would be cost neutral, it was about facilitating members to be volunteer leaders (unpaid, so any country) and using Council and a small exec to support in resort initiatives (ie feet on the ground)...and it would be a good thing wouldn't it?
Gerry, you're on Council and I'm not so its up to you (not me, I'm just a member) .. why take pot shots at others rather than focussing on what you were elected to do? You stood to be a champion for volunteer leading, or so you said.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy