Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Chief Exec resigns

Poster: A snowHead
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@ansta1, I'm talking about the various TMing of variants of SCGB, Ski Club etc NOT sHs.

And I don't think admin would be in the market for SCGBtm except as an ironic joke when they are finally tired and shagged out after their last squawk.

Ahh. Yes, but I think the same probably applies to everything ski club. It's too generic to be a revenue generator, "The Ski Club of Great Britain" possibly, but then the reverse is that this is too specific.

Perhaps they should try "skiing with the ex squadron leader .com" or "skiing with someone at the same social status as you .com"
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just a remark, but any of us can search anytime for a trademark online at the IPO website for free:

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmtext?reset

A quick search there does in fact show that the mark text “Ski Club Great Britain” and the logo, with the skier thingy and some other graphic stuff plus the words, both in light on dark and in dark on light, was registered 10 January 2020, as filed 11th October 2019: ref UK00003435647

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/1/UK00003435647

So sticking (R) is OK in principle as they’re registered.

What is a bit dodgy though, is sticking (R) prominently after “Ski Club” in large text, with “Great Britain” being in much smaller text which the eye tends to run over without noticing.

One might think maybe a dodgy bit of work like that might be aimed at misleading the punter to think SCGB have registered “Ski Club”, i.e. thet they are THE ONE AND ONLY true “Ski Club”, which I believe not only they can’t, but no-one can, as I understand it from reading the IPO’s own stuff on trademarking, and the 1994 Act.

Can’t say I’d be terribly surprised if they were to do that though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 29-09-21 19:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Fat George, curious as to why they didn't use James bond (ahem) Roger Moore to do the snowheads registration. Perhaps because a reputable company would have done some appropriate due diligence maybe.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ansta1 Well I’ve been racking my memory to think of the right word for something for some time, and I’ve just remembered one possibility?

Vexatious?

It might be the thing, but maybe some legal/better brain will be on here soon to correct me?

Unfortunately, I suffer from the dual disadvantages of having English as a first language, and not being a lawyer.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Vexatious

Lovely word, worthy of full marks on Countdown and a nice smile from Rachel Riley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, it would be great as a triple word at Scrabble(R?) too, and probably a game-winner, but it would be so unlikely to get!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin wrote:
@ansta1, if Trademark Tony's assurances are of merit, etc

Hey, hands off, Trademark Tony TM is my intellectual property. I think you'll find I have prior use going back to yesterday. Honestly, some chancers out there!

Glad you had a word with the IPO and are clearly more relaxed about it. You could of course go down the trademarking route for Snowheads, as others have said, but it occurs to me that in 17 years you've traded unmolested and only encountered two issues - both from the same bloody organisation!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never mind all this trademark tosh. Were any SnowheadsTM whispering in Chemmy's ear at Hemel last night?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Speaking of trademarks, might be a good idea to include the snowHeadTM emoji in any future application.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PeakyB wrote:
. . . any SnowheadsTM whispering in Chemmy's ear . . .?

Dave: I was minded to do so but decided against it on the day, taking @AL9000’s wise words to heart, and I kept stum. If there’s to be whispering, that’d be better coming from someone who’s in both snowHeads and SCGB, to avoid the appearance of bias, and that’s something I can no longer claim. Anyway I guess she’ll probably have found out by now by one route or another; bad news has wings etc.. Maybe someone else mentioned it to her there; don’t know; hope so; anything to help stop similar occurrences in the future by whatever means, including the Hon. Pres.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AL9000 wrote:
Besides, I can’t believe she’s a pro skier…I’m sooo much better than her. Madeye-Smiley

Fat George wrote:
..taking @AL9000’s wise words to heart, and I kept stum…

So you saw her flakey skiing then!

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Fat George,
Quote:

I was minded to do so but decided against it on the day

Sad I hoped you'd persuade her to join a BashTM
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's Friday, I'm bored, and while waiting for more @Admin news of the scurrilous trademark application timing out, it's time to play 'Let's critique the latest Ski Club™ email newsletter'. Today it begins:

Quote:
We're here to fuel your excitement for winter
are they taking the p155? "Fuel" FFS, I just spent half a day trying to get some.

Quote:
as the weather begins to turn and the nights drawing in
the customary remark to remind us how seasons work.

Quote:
There is so much going on at the Club over these few weeks to help welcome you back to winter
to be accurate, there's absolutely nothing going on, just check the events page.

Quote:
There are some great events and giveaways coming up, including tickets to the National Snow Show in Birmingham in late October
This will be the exact same tickets that absolutely everyone else in the snow biz is giving away for free.

Quote:
Come down and meet the Ski Club™ team as well as all your favourite brands and tour operators, and join us in the bar for apres drinks afterwards
Hmm, a paid-for drink? ie free? ie paid for by other Members? Note - always have your apres (with an acute accent over the e) drinks afterwards, or 'après' as it is often known rolling eyes How lazy do you have to be to not bother with the accent?

It rambles from there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pruman, you may have made a `grave` mistake there, as an acute accent would give you é rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't bother with the accent on a UK keyboard and anyway it's grave innit? It's the tautology that's more offensive but i think that's far from a major crime.

It's not meaningless PR fluff that's the problem it's that they don't have anything meaningful to say about what might matter to members like the exact shape of the "rep" offer or how to navigate the post Covid travel/insurance maze or .....
latest report
admin wrote:
@ansta1, if Trademark Tony's assurances are of merit, it should lapse to 'Withdrawn' status on 4th Oct. According to my discussion with the IPO this is indeed plausible, so for now, we can just sit back and enjoy the tranquility of the moment and hope that this is not the calm before the storm Cool

@admin, assurances are like a politician and a woman, never to be trusted.  Very Happy  and gov website explicitly says it's 40 working days between submission/examination and then move to next phase. Now we all know the wheels of government move slowly so may take them a few days to actually apply the updates and then get the status changed.If it get's withdrawn by the 4th I'll stick 50 quid behind the bar at Hemel for the Oktoberfest ski test. Note the bit about women was not serious and in no way intended to offend, just added for misogynistic comic effect, so please don't berate or abuse me for that. The bit about politicians was serious though.
snow conditions
@ansta1, understood but AFAIK I can't formally submit opposition to it until it reaches the 'Published' phase.
Although I understand that 3rd parties are at liberty, at this stage (or the 'Published' one), to submit 'observations' to the IPO which will be forwarded to the applicant.
Anyone who feels strongly enough to comment in any meaningful way might like to consider that channel.
ski holidays
@admin, you can't which is the point, I think they will probably let it go to the next phase, suggest you object, then withdraw at that point, I could well be wrong and most probably am. I believe it should have moved to the next phase already officially already.

Probably got myself 50quid down already but hey ho.
latest report
Indeed I am aware that various possible levels of subterfuge might not be entirely out of the question but a rather important point @ansta1, is that by letting it progress to 'Published' and hence opening up the opportunity for it to be opposed officially, they then become liable for our legal costs in doing so.
Surely a not for profit organisation, run for the benefit of its members, would not be so profligate as to spaff those members' resources on such a pointless endeavour? ( OK, maybe don't answer that rolling eyes )

Meanwhile, there have already been new donations/subscriptions made by snowHeads who specifically name this cause as their reason for doing so... as upsetting as it was to discover this matter in the first place, the subsequent display of support, from both snowHeads and SCGB members, is distinctly heart warming snowHead
ski holidays
@admin, yes, but your level of optimism for a sensible 'we are in the wrong' approach as opposed to 'publish and be damned' doesn't seem to be the general MO of said organisation in recent years.

Well done on the extra donations/support. All justified. I kind of hope it does get withdrawn then I and can be in parallel publicly lambasted for being negative ninny and a supporter in some small way for folks on the Oktoberskitest,
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
@admin, yes, but your level of optimism for a sensible 'we are in the wrong' approach as opposed to 'publish and be damned' doesn't seem to be the general MO of said organisation in recent years.

I can see why you think they can't be trusted, however, if they really are stupid enough to push ahead with this application, having already publicly admitted that the original application was a "mistake", I don't think there is a Judge in the Country who would give them any serious consideration. (unless of course he is also a member)
snow conditions
Trademarks etc. disputes are principally managed at the European courts in the Hague and Munich. This takes the costs and complexity of any proceedings to a very different level. Aggressive competitive strategies in this area often rely on litigants not having the time and resources to mount a challenge. This is one reason why I'd urge @admin not to listen to advice given here - however will-intentioned - but speak to a professional.

Since I posted about the various variant URLs of the SCGB apparently still untaken, I've checked again and some of them are now no longer free. So either @admin has bought them, or someone else has. I don't criticise any other organisation for doing this: it's good practice. But it implies that this thread is being actively monitored and there is activity going on in parallel.
ski holidays
Quote:
some of them are now no longer free. So either @admin has bought them
For clarity, I haven't.
ski holidays
@LaForet,
Quote:

I'd urge @admin not to listen to advice given here - however will-intentioned - but speak to a professional.

+ at least 100!
snow report
What's a URL worth these days if you really want it?
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, It depends who else wants it Very Happy
ski holidays
admin wrote:
@ansta1, if Trademark Tony's assurances are of merit, it should lapse to 'Withdrawn' status on 4th Oct. According to my discussion with the IPO this is indeed plausible, so for now, we can just sit back and enjoy the tranquility of the moment and hope that this is not the calm before the storm Cool

Did this happen ?
snow report
Not as of right now......still officially in 'examination' status. 6hrs and 11 minutes and I don't have to front up money for the Hemel ski test.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Note: that was supposed to be 40 working days; 8 weeks. Filed on Wednesday 04 August, so should have been 29 Sept? But maybe that's when just the applicant finds out, and not everybody else.
snow report
The IPO publish their journal of applications weekly, nothing in the one published on the 1st of Oct, which as you said was technically after the 8 weeks (though there was a bank holiday....). Will see what happens in the next few days or check out Friday"s edition.

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-tmj.htm
latest report
ousekjarr wrote:
@Pruman, you may have made a `grave` mistake there, as an acute accent would give you é  rolling eyes

I can see what you did there. This is why my French O-level went so badly wrong. Anyway, I'm sure you got the point, they are too lazy and care too little to get the easy stuff right. 

boredsurfin wrote:
What's a URL worth these days if you really want it?

You can get an idea on https://sedo.com/ - I have used them to go into negotiations anonymously and they did manage to secure a domain for my company that was being sat on and up for sale. In the end a $10k domain was had for under $2k. It's just yet another dirty big game.

To value they are looking at the attractiveness of the domain name itself, whether it has longevity, traffic and link authority and, of course, whether there is a trademark to go with it - not many do.

I would think Snowheads.com is fairly valuable. According to the tools available to me it outranks skiclub.co.uk in every measure apart from domain authority. At one point in time skiclub.co.uk was far and away the most engaged-with ski website in the UK, driven by snow reporting, news, insurance, events etc. The problem the Council should have with them blowing over £400k on the website is that they successfully managed to lose all of that. 

LaForet wrote:
Trademarks etc. disputes are principally managed at the European courts in the Hague and Munich.

The EU Madrid Protocol marks maybe but the UK specific marks would be handled in the UK. If it's Apple v Microsoft then, yes, likely to end up in a very expensive court case but Snowheads v SCGB wouldn't get anywhere near it, nor should it ever need to. I've said it before, so I'll say it again - SCGB Director Trademark Tony has publicly admitted to the subterfuge. So it is a case of getting a Dispute Resolution Lawyer (a professional) to get in there and get things put back the way they were before Trademark Tony (or TT to his friends) got busy. And the Dispute Resolution Lawyer will then hit them up for the costs involved which may or may not be successful but shouldn't be a fortune either. 
snow report
Quote:

snowheads.com
value: 2 712 $

snowheads.com is not currently for sale but you may be interested in buying sockheads.com for $4950

I'm sure there is a message in there, somewhere.
latest report
Just as the unofficial SCGB Facebook page seemed to be facilitating a resolution between Trademark Tony and Admin the group mysteriously crashed, shortly after this the whole of Facebook crashed worldwide. It seems that SCGB’s highly paid web consultants overstepped the mark in their efforts to disrupt the pesky unofficial Facebook group.
snow conditions
@On the rocks, maybe trademark Tony's sly plan to rule the whole of the internet has actually worked and we are about to enter a new world order.

"Gerry you are our leader"
latest report
ansta1 wrote:

"Gerry you are our leader"

I’m quite sure he already knows that.
snow report
Such a shame. The Ski club had history, but it's all gone now. No bringing it back.
snow conditions
joffy69 wrote:
Such a shame. The Ski club had history, but it's all gone now. No bringing it back.

Only 1 wo/man can rebuild it. Laughing
snow conditions
I booked a sunweb holiday & got an offer to join for ski club for £1 standard membership (saving £69!)
However it can only be done by direct debit. Deciding if it is worth it. As I guess they hope you forget to cancel the DD.
I know they do discounts, but I have my own kit. Worth £1?
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, get invited to a club event and drink more than £1s worth?
snow report
@Mr.Egg, Thought you snowboarded? Our people are not exactly represented in their club so you joining would probably double their sideways brethren. You might even get your picture in their brochurrreeee. GO TEAM DIVERSITY! YAY!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy