Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Chief Exec resigns

Poster: A snowHead
Pruman wrote:
But, re the repping situation, this is on another thread re working as an instructor in Switzerland:

The bit you quoted was on working in the Netherlands not Switzerland. Are there Freshtracks trips to Landgraaf ?
Quote:

I'm surprised that coaches travelling with their teams aren't somehow exempt - world sport would grind to a halt if all coaches from 3rd countries needed work permits but, there you have it, BASI have clearly taken advice. If coaches, many of whom are volunteers, need work permits then SCGB Reps most definitely need them (per the above "unlikely to succeed"), and why I believe the rep program as advertised is a non-starter in Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France. Please feel free to disagree! Right or wrong it surely begs for some clarity from the club.

There is another link in that thread to a statement from Snowsport England indicating that it is ok for race coaches to work at sporting events everywhere else in Europe, just not NL.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had platinum cover. Tried to claim a small loss due to covid. Refused point blank, not worth arguing over no offer of a refund for any of my unusable cover. No communication about possible refunds. Cancelled my membership before renewal. Can't see me going back as the insurance was the main reason I was a member and the new offering doesn't appeal
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pruman wrote:
... one Director, at least, understands the rep-ending consequences of having just a UK passport. And he needs to understand there is still the issue of tax on those benefits in kind. I suspect, even with the right passport, you can't just rock up and get working in the EU when technically 'employed' by a UK company.
... there are about 200 SCGB reps covering 17 resorts so I would think it not all that straightforward to deploy them legally.
Obviously it's possible to legally employ EU nationals in the EU.

That would be a major change and an extra layer of bureaucracy and cost.

But no one would set up that business model in the Alps today.
They have an extended track record of loss making and dysfunctional management, plus declining numbers.
Gerry exposes the disfunction admirably in multiple threads, but not this one.
I wouldn't start from there; "fighting" to retain a failing business model is the opposite of what they should be doing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
philwig wrote:

I wouldn't start from there; "fighting" to retain a failing business model is the opposite of what they should be doing.

I'd agree - smash it up and start again. But they might be failing on that too as the existing membership (based on this thread) continues to desert them. Why do I have the image of gym which shuttered its doors long ago but where the owner continues to enjoy slap up holidays on the collection of direct debits from dormant members?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Gerry exposes the disfunction admirably in multiple threads, but not this one.

Leave him alone; he’s probably having a lie down in a dark room after reading these figures ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/27/uk-receives-34000-visa-requests-from-hong-kong-in-two-months
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs wrote:
Pruman wrote:
But, re the repping situation, this is on another thread re working as an instructor in Switzerland:

The bit you quoted was on working in the Netherlands not Switzerland. Are there Freshtracks trips to Landgraaf ?

No, the canapes are rubbish there. The point being that NL is in the EU and other EU/EEA nations will likely have similar laws. You can probably go act as a rep in say Austria and get away with it but, were there to be a major incident and subsequent investigation, it would be squeaky bum time if, in the final analysis, you were meant to have the appropriate paperwork. From what I am hearing, the SCGB Council don't appear to be taking advice on anywhere but France.

The whole mish mash of Reps (who can't lead on snow), new Social Reps (who appear to be able to or not depending on which paragraph of the job description you read), all needs clarifying properly. Otherwise how are Members and potential Members meant to know what they are paying for?

Quote:
There is another link in that thread to a statement from Snowsport England indicating that it is ok for race coaches to work at sporting events everywhere else in Europe, just not NL.

Can't help feeling the Dutch are going a bit OTT but it's their rulz!

Straw Poll - how many here were members of SCGB but have left in the last few years? And what's the main reason?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I left last October because there was little prospect of skiing till next winter. Without skiing I could see no value in being a member.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Same as @Jehu, but I was debating leaving anyway, as it just holds no value for me. I joined to access the Rep service in Whistler (which was brilliant), and did use the instuctor led guiding a few times in France which was pretty good, but not enough to justify it. No interest in the insurance or Freshtracks holidays; I prefer MPI and bashes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AL9000 wrote:
Leave him alone...
wink The absence of SCGB personal abuse in this specific thread is remarkable.
I'm disinterested in the SCGB, extremely interested in online abuse, especially when conducted by an officer of a company.
I think that cross-posting any abuse by scgb officers into this thread may well stop it.

----

fixx wrote:
... I joined to access the Rep service in Whistler (which was brilliant), and did ...
Out of interest, how was that set up?
Did they employ locals, or use work-permits, or what?
I'm asking because presumably that is the same model they will need to use with EU workers now.
In Whistler you'd definitely need to follow local rules.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig I can't claim to know the ins and outs, and it was a few years ago. As I understood it, it was all Brits or Irish, who were sent out to cover agreed periods (4 weeks or so at a time - a few also stayed on separately at their own expense) and given accomodations and a lift pass. Accom was covered by the club (room rented in local's house), and possibly lift pass by the resort? I couldn't say for sure. No salary.

There was certainly no secrecy or suggestion anything wasn't above board - jacket clearly worn, lifties and staff all saying hi etc.

It was the same rep covering my holiday, but I met others (maaaany drinks and dinners) who were just staying in resort for themselves, separate from the club. All really nice people, and fun to have a drink with. And the rep 'on duty' was an excellent skier and really knew the place - great days on the mountain!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fixx,
Quote:

jacket clearly worn

I hope not too worn, and accompanied by a smart regimental tie and Tattersall shirt?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm - Wonder if Pringle do baselayers?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's worth having a quick look at the SCGB's director Gerald trying to disassociate his posts from the SCGB here:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4784746#4784746
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Hmm - Wonder if Pringle do baselayers?

Available at any posh pro shop in Surrey . Under a burgundy v-neck would suit you sir Little Angel
latest report
philwig wrote:
It's worth having a quick look at the SCGB's director Gerald trying to disassociate his posts from the SCGB here:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4784746#4784746

Where is he on this thread? You’d think he’d be standing up for his Wimbledon chums and telling all the loony left critics where to shove it
snow conditions
Gerald is busy lecturing on "race theory" over here.
SCGB director Gerald Aitken wrote:
Anyone with concerns about mass immigration is immediately labeled a racist by the Remainer boot boys.
You should have watched the Trevor Philips documentary on race. Apparently, given the choice, humans from different cultures don’t integrate.
Obviously rich people from different cultures integrate very well but they aren’t involved in a fight for limited resources for most of their lives.

People who complain most about mass immigration are the people who are most negatively affected by it,
yet they are told all the time that their concerns aren’t genuine and they are simply being racist.

I can't imagine what all that has to do with skiing, but those are a fair representation of Gerald's ongoing
political campaign in these pages. I think it's disgraceful in a ski forum, but it needs to be seen here, where
Gambrill and his colleagues cannot avoid it.

What happens if someone from a "different culture" from Gerald's joins the SCGB?
What if they need his services as an employee of the SCGB?
snow conditions
Quote:
an employee of the SCGB?

I’m sure all employees, leaders and ambassadors are fully trained in client care...

http://youtube.com/v/h-wfO6_eq-A
snow report
SCGB Director Gerry Aitken wrote

Quote:

Yay, Britain’s much loved Prime Minister ties the knot and snowHeads are all overjoyed at the happy news. The last time I remember you lot being this happy was on the day of Lady Thatcher’s death.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, If that is what was written then it pretty much sums up the SCGB's diplomatic skills.
snow conditions
SCGB Director Gerry Aitken wrote

Gerry wrote:

Is the Catholic Church worse than, for example, and just picking a world religion out of thin air, say Islam?
snow conditions
Hold my hand up and state that I rejoined. Purely from a financial perspective. The discount on x2 Crystal ski trips was far more than the club dues and I will likely use the Instructor Led guiding which is great value.
latest report
What's happened to the SCGB pub- The White Haus?
latest report
ed123 wrote:
...The White Haus?
wink Possibly an unfortunate choice of name considering the professed politics of the organisation's leadership towards those of us whose ethnicity varies from their own.
snow report
ed123 wrote:

Rearranging their Leni Reifenstahl memorabilia?

"Say what you will she really knew how to capture the proper spirit of skiing"
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
ed123 wrote:

Rearranging their Leni Reifenstahl memorabilia?

"Say what you will she really knew how to capture the proper spirit of skiing"

Just to point out that Leni Riefenstahl (spelling) didn't direct any skiing films. Possibly you're thinking of films like Der Weisse Rausch which has some great skiing scenes filmed around St.Anton and featuring the founder of the Arlberg ski school Hannes Schneider along with Leni Riefenstahl as his skiing student (incidentally Hannes Schneider didn't get on well with Leni Riefenstahl and later after the Austrian Anschluss he had to flee to the US because of his anti-Nazi views), but that film and several other earlier films about the "spirit of skiing" were directed by Dr. Arnold Fanck
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, of course you are correct. Schneider then going on to develop Cranmore in NH and help train the 10th Mountain Division, many of whose members went on to found or develop skiing across the US. In contrast to Leni of course who had a different path.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, indeed. She was obviously a very talented and innovative film director, so sad that she used her talents to make propaganda for such an odious evil regime...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig wrote:
ed123 wrote:
...The White Haus?
wink Possibly an unfortunate choice of name considering the professed politics of the organisation's leadership towards those of us whose ethnicity varies from their own.

Ethnic diversity has never been much of a strong point at the club: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/ski-club-council-and-staff Hmmm, nice pic.

@Alastair Pink, Fancks for that.

The White Haus pub sells quite a nice Swiss lager called 1936 - also a fine year in Nazi history. Other than that I'd say the novelty has worn off and Hippo Inns might want to think of a new theme, new layout. A few old pics and books, an old pair of Dynastars in a cage and gondola cabin doth not make an alpine bar.

Re Gerry - I personally have no problem in people expressing their own views but if he's here with an SCGB Directors' hat on I think it best avoided. I suspect someone has 'had a word'.
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:

Re Gerry - I personally have no problem in people expressing their own views but if he's here with an SCGB Directors' hat on I think it best avoided. I suspect someone has 'had a word'.

That seems to have worn off
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:
... Hmmm, nice pic.
Ah.

To be fair, skiing generally isn't particularly diverse, although it's a bit of a double whammy if you have
only white people and they're all UK nationals, and it's no excuse for Gerald's behaviour.

What social media do they have? I'm thinking that cross posting Gerald's abuse - I don't see why I should have to read his drivel,
but I think his own team needs to do precisely that.
snow report
SCGB Director Gerry Aitken spread more harmony and good international relations by writing

Gerry wrote:
The country of manufacture is an important consideration for me. You can normally tell if an item is of generally poor quality, unreliable or overpriced by simply looking for a 'Made in Belgium' sticker.
latest report
philwig wrote:
What social media do they have? I'm thinking that cross posting Gerald's abuse - I don't see why I should have to read his drivel,
but I think his own team needs to do precisely that.

Gerry is even banned from a 1200-strong Ski Club Facebook group admin'd by Tom Jarman (aka Pisteoff on this forum) called Ski Club of Great Britain. Members: past, present and future!

You do have to be totally tone deaf as a Director to achieve that. The number of ex-Members who say they left 'because of Gerry', a few of them on this forum, and others I know of by other means, is yet another achievement.

Unfortunately the other Directors are invisible (not untypical with volunteer boards) so the image we have of the Club tends to be Gerry-flavoured! Without new younger Members, or encouraging lapsed Members to rejoin, the club will fold. It's that simple. So to not have a presence on a forum like this is a missed opportunity. Jarman tried to do it, and he was received in a friendly way and he promoted ideas open to debate, it but he was ousted by the Chairman and a few others. I see no hope whatsoever (I refer you to 30+ pages above) and the new GM has the impossible task of taking direction from a board that don't seem to be knowledgeable or engaged in the business. The website, the membership offering, the demographic time bomb, the Freshtracks pricing, the communication, the confusion over Reps and Social Reps, the tip-toeing along the lines of legality in the EU/EEA - all these things should be staring the Directors in the face and they should be taking drastic action, now!
snow conditions
SCGB Director Gerry Aitken wrote more jingoistic nonsense of his own creation

Gerry wrote:

Aren’t some drippy types getting all upset about things like the Union Jack on margarine containers? I’ve seen lots of snowflakes melting on twitting over this. Some super markets and manufacturers have even surrendered to these Twitter campaigns. Half the country seem to hate Britain.
snow report
SCGB website wrote:
Press Enquiries

If you're looking for snowsports information, quotes, images or statistics you have come to the right place - The Ski Club of Great Britain is the UK's leading supplier of ski, snowboard and other snow sports information to the media.

I know it has been a quiet time for snow sports information recently, but they seem to be running a bit behind, as on page 1 of their press releases, in fourth place, I see that Ian Holt has been appointed as Chief Executive ... rolling eyes
snow conditions
@ecureuil, from the Press Release you refer to:

"His appointment comes after an extensive and robust three-month recruitment and selection process, led by Warren Partners, executive search consultants for the Ski Club, which attracted over 100 applications.

The Chairman of the Ski Club, Malcolm Bentley, added:
“We are delighted to announce Ian as our new Chief Executive. Having worked closely with him as Treasurer, I am confident he will continue to drive the future of the Club and the continuity he provides together with his knowledge of the Club will optimise his effectiveness in pursuing our goals along with the team and Council."

Well that seems to have worked out well....
snow report
Quote:
pursuing our goals along with the team and Council...

Lebensraum?
snow conditions
@AL9000,
I had to google that again - you are Boris and I claim ...
snow conditions
Quote:
Unfortunately the other Directors are invisible (not untypical with volunteer boards) so the image we have of the Club tends to be Gerry-flavoured!
I didn't have any views on the SCGB until one of their directors starting personally abusing me here, although of course it's not personal in that be abuses everybody.
  • His attempts to de-identify himself in these pages can't be his personal choice: he must have been told to do that.
  • He doesn't post in this thread, again presumably not by choice.
  • He could have easily created an account entirely separate from the SCGB for his abuse campaign, but he didn't

Invisible, perhaps, but we can be sure they are well aware of Gerald's activities on their behalf in these pages even
without the assistance of the server logs.

My snowboard's waxed and ready to go for tomorrow.
It's 23:30 here and still looks just like that.

freeimagehosting
ski holidays
@philwig, no sliding then? How irritating. Looks like nice walking though Happy

SCGB is now irrelevant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy