Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain Chief Exec resigns

Poster: A snowHead
pisteoff wrote:
It is shocking how many, including Council members and the GM, argued that you should be a member out of loyalty, giving no other good reason.

I'm not shocked, it's a typical upper class / public school refrain right up there with "let's not rock the boat old boy" and "try not to sh*t in the nest old chap" and other gems taken from rowing, cricket, dorm showers etc. They are bereft of talent and ideas, ill-equipped to steer a 21st century membership organisation.

Earlier I got a newsletter that starts:

As spring arrives and lockdowns begin to ease across the UK, we're excited about getting back out in the mountains and even back on skis or a board! Read on to find out more about skiing right here in the UK this spring, staying dry in all conditions, and a special feature from Bollé on their World Cup winning athlete, Alexis Pinturault.

WTF is that all about?

And then:

As England beings to emerge from lockdown, with the other four nations close behind ............

WTF is the fifth nation?

The lack of care or invention is palpable - a special (paid for) feature from Bolle? A thing on waterproofing?

Clueless.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pruman wrote:
pisteoff wrote:
It is shocking how many, including Council members and the GM, argued that you should be a member out of loyalty, giving no other good reason.

I'm not shocked, it's a typical upper class / public school refrain right up there with "let's not rock the boat old boy" and "try not to sh*t in the nest old chap" and other gems taken from rowing, cricket, dorm showers etc. They are bereft of talent and ideas, ill-equipped to steer a 21st century membership organisation.

Loyalty is for mugs. Everyone sees that everyday with most consumer subscription organisations from insurers to TV to phones. Your special loyalty renewal price always looks crappier than the honeypot offered to new subscribers. Unless of course you're subscribing out of love for something you value more highly than the mere price.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

WTF is the fifth nation

This was in the pub quiz - Think it's Berwick upon Tweed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wimbledon
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Club Launch Exciting New Partnership with GB Snowsport
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don’t bother with the survey, its the usual waste of time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pruman wrote:
... "... Read on to find out more about skiing right here in the UK this spring, staying dry in all conditions. ..." ..

Well, you get the first Saga magazine through the door and you try to ignore it.
Next it's the cruise holidays with skinny botoxed women helping old blokes into the next world.
Then there's the stair lift and walk-in bath promotions.

That the SCGB is advertising protective underwear for their aged clientele is perhaps not such a surprise.
Whatever you do, don't click the link, or you'll spend the rest of your days dodging pensioner promotions.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@philwig, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perhaps SCGB read that Mail article on how the GBSS extracts £35,000 from its members per year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:

If that's the SCGB's definition of "exciting" I think they are already a bit shagged out after a long squawk and are soon to be pining for the fjords.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

If that's the SCGB's definition of "exciting" I think they are already a bit shagged out after a long squawk and are soon to be pining for the fjords.

Yes, it's a very sad attempt at something or other probably not remotely interesting to members or potential members.

So joining a few dots, I think all this might just be a result of two pieces on Ski Sunday on LGBQT and the BAME community and the inclusiveness (or not) of skiing, presented by SCGB's President Chemmy Alcott and featuring Vicky Gosling the CEO of GB Snowsport. They've joined up to make it look like thy are doing something but the cynics (of which I am one) won't be amazed if it's just a big box ticking exercise with no discernable result.

Have you tried the survey? rolling eyes Can't wait for the inevitable big trumpeting of the report based on the usual small sample. What is Intersex? I think I tried it in Milan once.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just got an email about their survey. Commendable that they are trying to investigate participation for various ethnicities, gender groups, sexual orientation etc but surprised they still call themselves ski club.

Not very inclusive for snowboarders is it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Realistically if you were inventing SCGB today you'd make it mobile first/app based and free-to-play at a basic level. For that members would get peer to peer networking of some kind, a plug into individual resort APIs for lift maps, snow reports etc and some kind of diary function where you could see who would be in "your" resort at the time you were there. Tinder for skiers if you like. Then you might start layering on modest fees for "premium" content, like insurance deals or negotiated reduced price lessons or guiding. You'd make most of your money on backend commission/push advertising for the desirable demographic you'd captured in your app, in time this might turn into TO run holidays etc etc.

I had a look.
"We will soon be retiring the Ski Club chat forum. Keep up to date on our Facebook resort groups or on the new Ski Club App."

http://www2.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/forum/

Or are they just reading snowHeads.

Looks like I'm late to this particular party. I downloaded the Ski Club App but then it wanted my membership number. Alas I cancelled the DD some time back. Looks like they've stuffed that up then.

Why have one App when you can have two.

Quote:
"09 January 2019
The Hangout Ski app will give you access to the latest up-to-date information for ski resorts.
Find out what’s happening in resort now with new deals and events sent straight to your phone. The Ski Club of Great Britain have partnered with Hangout Ski in two resorts: Zell am See and Soldeu, where our Leader service and Instructor-Led Guiding are very popular. This dedicated app will help you get the most out of your holiday with insider information at your fingertips.

For both resort pages , the app has a Ski Club leader who is available to chat to on the app’s Live Chat function. If you have any burning questions about the resort our Ski Club leaders will be able to respond to your query quickly with their expert knowledge.

As well as Ski Club resorts, there’s a total of 23 resorts you can access using the app. From well known Austrian and French resorts to smaller Eastern European resorts, discover a new resort at a click of a button. Check in and find out who else is planning to go to the resort this winter, which is a great way to arrange meetups with like-minded skier or snowboarders.

Find out the best places to eat, sleep or shop in the ‘Places’ section of the app. Users are encouraged to leave reviews so you get an honest opinion of the best places to visit in a resort. A seven-day weather forecast is also available, giving you access to detailed information about the type of weather and temperature for each day. A handy way to prepare for a trip on the slopes.

Get discount information tailored to unique resorts and places. Cut costs on restaurants, ski hire and shops whilst on a winter getaway. Looking for something to do when you’re not on the slopes? Check out the events calendar full of local meetups, festivals and more.

To get the most out of your winter holiday download Hangout Ski on the Apple App Store or Android Play Store.

On Facebook, the Ski Club has dedicated resort groups where you can post pictures, images or question on the discussion boards with other snowsport enthusiasts.

Sickening. Once I'd installed it, it seemed like just a tool to suck me in to some not-so-slick marketing. Only 23 resorts and quite a few I like were nowhere to be seen, so forget it. Possibly those are the ones where SCGB operates; I don't know. And I don't do FB.

And.
http://www2.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/forum/discussion.aspx/Skiing-And-Snowboarding-general?discussionID=16552

Must go.
I need to get a tepid takeaway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Marcia Nash, just a factual correction, D Goldsmith most certainly did NOT set up snowHeads. That was done by G MacMahon a few days after the club (without any warning!) suddenly closed its then thriving forum to non-members, and the many non-members who had been contributing to the club's forum had to move to snowHeads, which rapidly grew into the UK's largest snow activity related forum. The club's forum never recovered its previous numbers, even though a few years ago it reversed its decision to allow non-members to post again; the boat had effectively sailed to snowHeads.
@Alastair Pink, just a factual correction, snowHeads was not set up "a few days after", it was a few hours after Smile

...but on the rest you're spot on Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@admin, my sincere apologies for my inaccurate description of the awesome speed with which snowHeads was set up. Embarassed snowHead
Glad I got the rest of it right though. NehNeh
snow conditions
SCGB announcing that their chat forum will be closing on Friday 23rd April: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/scgb-forum

So the SCGB chat forum (that gave birth to snowHeads when the SCGB decided without warning to exclude non members back in 2004) is going to disappear, joining that flash in the pan ski forum snowvole that also expired a couple of years ago. Meanwhile snowHeads goes from strength to strength. snowHead
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, remarkable isn't it? I'm sure it's down to all those extra £100ks @dadmin has spunked on this glossy little pantechnican....
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
SCGB announcing that their chat forum will be closing on Friday 23rd April: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/scgb-forum

So the SCGB chat forum (that gave birth to snowHeads when the SCGB decided without warning to exclude non members back in 2004) is going to disappear, joining that flash in the pan ski forum snowvole that also expired a couple of years ago. Meanwhile snowHeads goes from strength to strength. snowHead

Don’t be upset Alastair, I haven’t visited the SCGB chat forum for 17 years or so Laughing wink
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes
Quote:

Realistically if you were inventing SCGB today you'd make it mobile first/app based and free-to-play at a basic level. For that members would get peer to peer networking of some kind, a plug into individual resort APIs for lift maps, snow reports etc and some kind of diary function where you could see who would be in "your" resort at the time you were there. Tinder for skiers if you like.

Whatever happened to @LoveMeTinder? Migrated to SCGB?
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
.........Whatever happened to @LoveMeTinder? Migrated to SCGB?

I was just thinking that the other day. She bought some skis off me a few years ago and collected them at the OktoberTest but I've not heard from her since.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Now I'm still a member of that motor club, because to compete in events, I have to be a member of a UK MSA registered Motorclub, and I may as well stay with them. Membership is about the same for them with the majority of members being silent - just using the club as a gateway into MSA regulated events. Clubs need a reason to exist or they fade away - 8 years later and nothings changed for the better for them.

The motorclub thing is a weird one but I think just a change in the way people go to motorsport. Gone are the days of big meet ups to venture out to some night rally somewhere, gone are numerous venues across the country. Even the grassroots sport isn't as accessible as it was in the heady heights of the 70s and 80s, just look at the price of a race suit and helmet if you want to go hillclimbing in your road car.

I ended up on the committee of my club by accident for about 7 years, for about 12-18months of that I was chair (also by accident) and I remain a director of the company. During that spell we went from about 150 members up to just over 200 and have now equalled out around 185. The vast majority of those are either active members or the old guard who feel a bit of a duty to the club and like the little magazine they get each month. Thing is, without the same camaraderie of going to different events, there's very little to offer people other than being able to enter Motorsport UK events. We had monthly debates about how to attract new members, in particular youngsters, but the idea of joining a motor club where the primary focus is motorsport just doesn't sit with most people under a certain age unless they're raised around it.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, get a clubhouse/bar like these guys ( http://cheltmc.com/ ) ............best selection of beers i've seen for such a small place Cool
snow report
@Timberwolf, we're all a bit too spread out. Back in the day they did club nights in a specific pub but interest dwindled quite quickly. Not many people want to drive 30 minutes from Exeter to Torquay for a quick pint, or vice versa. That and no one would want to take it on, it's hard enough getting people to volunteer to help at events etc.
latest report
Cheap booze? Never fails.
snow report
@ster, becomes an expensive pint when I have to pay £2 in fuel to get it though Wink
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, For a motorsports club, I thought the way in for kids was karting, having a group that could organize this might be a help to any parents not already into motorsports themselves.

Ski clubs have a well established pathway for getting in new kids by teaching them at reduced cost.

There could be a role for a ski club like the SCGB as a bridge between resort races and park stuff and the slightly more serious versions of them in the UK, I tried suggesting this to Gerry earlier in the thread. Would just require a bit of diplomacy with the French and Austrians ... ah maybe not then.
snow conditions
@rjs, doesn't really work like that. Kart tracks are their own clubs and, understandably, want kids to either fly high as a career or stay in karting. Last thing they want is some other motor club coming in and stealing their members.
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
SCGB announcing that their chat forum will be closing on Friday 23rd April: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/scgb-forum ... snowHead
I nearly missed that one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@ster, becomes an expensive pint when I have to pay £2 in fuel to get it though Wink

Thinking about it, cheap booze and a motorsports club may not be the best of combinations?
latest report
@spyderjon,
Quote:

PeakyB wrote:
.........Whatever happened to @LoveMeTinder? Migrated to SCGB?

I was just thinking that the other day. She bought some skis off me a few years ago and collected them at the OktoberTest but I've not heard from her since.

P’raps now snowHeads is, what, over 17 years old, we should have a ‘Where Are They Now?’ thread?

Former prominent snowHeads, not seen or heard of for a few years, could fill us in on the twists and turns of their lives.

Sure to be more interesting than much of the mundane stuff so called celebrities bore us with in the media.

@LoveMeTinder could certainly launch the series with a....pop.
ski holidays
I wonder if the club has filled the 'Board Servant' Laughing role yet: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/jobs/general-manager-vacancy

Applications closed on 8th Feb.
ski holidays
@Pruman, you didnt get a call then?
snow report
ster wrote:
@Pruman, you didnt get a call then?
I keep glancing hopefully over at the phone but so far nothing.

I said 'Board Servant' but just re-read the job description and it says 'Servant Leader'. But it matters not, the job they describe, along with the necessary credentials, is way beyond £80k pa - especially for that neck of the woods. Anyone good enough to turn it around wouldn't apply and no self-respecting CEO-level person wants to be a Servant!

As far as I can see, the Board want someone they can direct to follow their plan (and presumably polish their brogues), yet the Board themselves doesn't collectively have the necessary skills and experience to come up with such a plan, hence why they want their Servant to have those skills and experience in the first place. The fact the job is still being advertised nearly 3 months after the closing date tells you all you need to know.
snow report
Pruman wrote:
The fact the job is still being advertised nearly 3 months after the closing date tells you all you need to know.

And had they stuck to their original plan of an interim GM to last December actually they should have already had someone selected 6 months ago? Assuming anyone they can find to take the job has an existing one with a notice period then time is getting tight on having a "servant leader" in place rolling into the business end of next season in September. And the longer the ship is rudderless the less attractive the role becomes.....
latest report
Maybe they would be better recruiting a receiver instead, and sooner rather than inevitably later. It may cost more than a leader servant but would be better for the club, at least the Freshtracks customers in the long run.
snow report
Last evening for the chat forum. No doubt it will be a hive of activity as the members get together to reminisce about all the jolly paywalled times they'be had.

Oops gone already....

Bet the App's active then....
latest report
Pruman wrote:
... As far as I can see, the Board want someone they can direct to follow their plan (and presumably polish their brogues), yet the Board themselves doesn't collectively have the necessary skills and experience to come up with such a plan, hence why they want their Servant to have those skills and experience in the first place. The fact the job is still being advertised nearly 3 months after the closing date tells you all you need to know.
Those still in charge seem to be trying to find a wizard who can make it all go back to how it once was.
If anyone was daft enough to take on the job, they would certainly not be competent enough to pull it off.

A customer service organisation which allows a director to childishly insult potential customers.
What could possibly go wrong?
ski holidays
philwig wrote:

A customer service organisation which allows a director to childishly insult potential customers.
What could possibly go wrong?

and indeed gloat actively and continuously about a major political event which makes every British skiers ability to go skiing in Europe harder and in the case of some skiers significantly problematic or downright impossible.

He claims it was all for the good of his trade in which case his interests are definitely in conflict with an organisation which should work for British skiers. rolling eyes
ski holidays
I think the Ski Club's apparent imminent demise is rather sad. I've skied with leaders on a couple of occasions and had a good time. Must admit that there were a couple of bellends in the group but you tend to get that anywhere. Generally it seemed like a good bunch. But I can't see really what they have to offer that will attract new members or tempt old members back.
ski holidays
The job advert linked above is worth a close read.
scgb wrote:
... the role is one of “working for the Council” rather than “managing the Board”.
[... ] the ones who remain both know what they need to do operationally [...] do not need wholesale reorganisation or replacement, they need a leader [...]"

<laughs> It begs the question of what they want a leader for, if it's not leading.
They have no intention of giving a new boss enough power to do anything, and they're surprised people aren't queueing up?

I'm confused as to why the people behind this tomfoolery are still around.
What makes them think that they suddenly "know what they need to do".
It very much seems like they don't know and don't care.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy