Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Giro Axis vs Smith I/O XL

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Very new to skiing as in never. Purchased two goggles recently on sale along with a Sweet Protection helmet. Axis come with Vivid Zeus Ember lens @ 35% while the Smith came with Blackout Chromapop Sun Black @ 12%.

Both fit the helmet well tho the Smith seems bang on fit wise while Giro is v close with minor to almost no gap. Here’s the issue. The Ember lens during the bright day was a great clear view while the Blackout was just a v dark shade.

Is it simply that I need to buy a 3rd different more everyday lens from Smith and the clarity sharpness will be the same? I want to keep the Smith as they have great reviews plus fit perfectly.

If so, which lens is recommended as I see some everyday ones plus a photochromic version.

Any guidance and direction would be very helpful as I will need to return one as soon as stores open.
Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickL007, Welcome ; can't help, but some knowledgeable person should come along shortly,,,
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickL007, the Smith chromapop blackout lens is a very dark lens, likely only useful in full sun. I have the original chromapop sun lens (which is marginally darker) and it only comes out late in the season when the sun is really strong and there are no clouds anywhere. As soon as there is any haze, clouds or shade it's just too dark.
In my opinion, the best all round lens Smith do is the chromapop everyday. I've used this in every condition from full-on whiteout to blazing sun and it works. If I had only 1 lens, this would be the one. As a complete beginner, no need for anything else.

If I was going to add another lens, I would look at one of the storm lenses, for low light. These give better visibility in full and snowy conditions. The difference vs a full sun lens is huge; less so the everyday lens (but still noticeable). The trade off is that as it brightens up, the lens will not be dark enough. I have the original chromapop storm lens, which is very good; the storm yellow is supposedly even better.

Smith goggles with interchangeable lenses (like the I/OX) normally come with 2 lenses - typically a sun one, and a low light lens. Did yours not have a second lens included?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickL007, as @mgrolf, suggests get a smith everyday lens, I like the green one, gives everything a pink tint!, but the everyday violet also works really well. As suggested above the everyday works from very low light to very bright pretty well.

I also use a smith chromapop storm yellow for white out / falling snow, and yes it is better in really bad conditions than the rose pink, just hope the sun does not come out as you rapidly start getting very sore eyes, the storm rose is more versatile.

On the subject of giro, last season I was given a pair of giro balance with the emerald vivid green lens, and it is stunning, better than the chromapop lenses for me as an everyday lens, the definition is superb, and much better (for me) than the giro vivid ember red that a mate has.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the giro Axis with two vivid lenses, A jade lens for overcast to full sun and another low light lens (sort of a faint rainbow mirror) which I can't remember the name of. Best goggles I have owned and both lenses seem to have an extraordinarily wide usage zone, I got caught out in full sun with only the low light sense and was perfectly comfortable.......

I haven't had any Smith goggles since the mid eighties so can't comment on chromapop lenses etc.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 9-04-20 11:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so far. Yes, both goggles came with two lenses. If I didn’t read any reviews, I’d choose the Giro but then it’s really apples to oranges with the lens shades. I’m hoping to find an everyday Smith lens I can try as a comp to the Giro ember everyday lens.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You say you've never skied, were you just trying the lenses at home, or on snow? A bright day on snow is one hell of a lot brighter

My Smith goggles came with a fairly dark lens (can't remember the name but similar to the Sun Green Mirror, just not chromapop) and then a lower light lens (like Storm Yellow Flash, maybe a bit darker, but again not chromapop). These are good for the majority of conditions but I also picked up a clear lens (the goggles only cost £36 so didn't mind paying a bit more for an extra option). I only really use that if I end up skiing late or conditions are really poor.

The bright lens is good for generally sunny days and fine if the sun is passing behind clouds. The mid-range lens is fine for basically any other conditions that are enjoyable to ski, and still okay for all but the brightest day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, a bright sunny day not on a ski hill. We live on a lake/bay that freezes over winter and there were many such days prior to C-19 causing ski shutdowns. I had an upcoming Vail ski trip planned hence was getting prepped before everything got cancelled.

I think I need to try a 3rd everyday lens such as the chrompop green or red.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So even tho the chromopop everyday is what you recommend, you personally prefer the giro now?

Zorrac wrote:
@NickL007, as @mgrolf, suggests get a smith everyday lens, I like the green one, gives everything a pink tint!, but the everyday violet also works really well. As suggested above the everyday works from very low light to very bright pretty well.

I also use a smith chromapop storm yellow for white out / falling snow, and yes it is better in really bad conditions than the rose pink, just hope the sun does not come out as you rapidly start getting very sore eyes, the storm rose is more versatile.

On the subject of giro, last season I was given a pair of giro balance with the emerald vivid green lens, and it is stunning, better than the chromapop lenses for me as an everyday lens, the definition is superb, and much better (for me) than the giro vivid ember red that a mate has.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickL007, You wanted suggestions to get another lens for the smiths, so everyday chomapop green is what I would suggest. However I prefer my emerald vivid giro's, but not the ember (red) version. nowhere near as good. For me the emerald giro lens works really well, but all of this depends on your eyes, what works for me may not work for you.

The emerald does not seem to have such a tolerance for very bright light however, not as much as the chomapop everyday, but the contast and definition for me is amazing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickL007, bear in mind that what works for me, or @Zorrac for that matter, may not work for you. Different people prefer different tints, and are more or less sensitive to bright light. I'd pick whichever goggle you prefer (for whatever reason), try it whenever you get to go skiing, and then think about a different lens if you feel you need one having used the lenses in anger.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got the grey chromopop, platinum? I think it was similar to the green in terms of

I found it great for any condition bar actually snowing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thx mgrolf, zorrac, makes sense. The difficulty at this time is getting access to various goggles and actually trying them out. With none in stock, I have to order in, try and keep/return - hence trying to get some help.
Ordered the everyday red mirror and will return the sun black. Thought about buying a 3rd lens but given I won’t be a big time skier, didn’t want to spend the extra $. Hoping the everyday red is close to the clarity of the giro.

Thanks again. Stay safe all.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy