Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cast Touring

Poster: A snowHead
I came across these after reading an article from a guide who had a tech binding fail in Le Grave.

https://casttouring.com/

I'm not sure it gives anything over say a Shift or frame bindings ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AndAnotherThing.., the came out before shifts and give a more natural stride than frame bindings. Shifts and the new marker PT binding will kill them
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thought this was about the band! Saw them loads in the 90’s!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
I came across these after reading an article from a guide who had a tech binding fail in Le Grave.

https://casttouring.com/

I'm not sure it gives anything over say a Shift or frame bindings ?

This will die a quick death with the Duke PT 16 now out. It was already a very small market for those wanting to tour with a Look 18 Din binding.

https://www.marker.net/en/time-for-the-reset/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, Possibly, we're still seeing a big demand for CAST and think as people read and discover the new DUKE PT, search engines will highlight CAST also. When the DUKE PT went live the following few weeks we had near on hundreds of enquiries for CAST. Think it will be Shift that continues to grow and do volume, the DUKE PT will however be so readily available, perhaps CAST will slowly fade. Still haven't seen or played with the updated DUKE PT heel piece, the current gen of Marker (Griffon/Jester) chew boots up soo bad, apparently it's been solved, avoir.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you’d be nuts to buy the Cast over the Duke PT. I’ve got Shifts and Griffons and while I like the shifts, the Griffon feels like a much more solid freeride binding. So for me the Duke PT will replace the Griffon on my Freeride skis and add the touring option.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a shame the article doesn't say which type or generation of pin binding failed, hence it hints at a generic problem with pin bindings whereas it may have been a problem with a particular make or model
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@On the rocks, I thought it was just a poor article about what is probably a freak problem creating illogical solutions. I was in my shop this afternoon and had a snigger when I looked at my bag of spare P18 toe wings because of course they never break!

BobinCH wrote:
......So for me the Duke PT will replace the Griffon on my Freeride skis and add the touring option.

I'm not sure yet if they'll be any mounting conflicts with that solution. Won't know until my Duke PT's and the jig arrive in August.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
which article?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
which article?

https://www.powder.com/gear-locker/how-a-close-call-in-la-grave-changed-my-thoughts-about-bindings/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
@On the rocks, I thought it was just a poor article about what is probably a freak problem creating illogical solutions. I was in my shop this afternoon and had a snigger when I looked at my bag of spare P18 toe wings because of course they never break!

BobinCH wrote:
......So for me the Duke PT will replace the Griffon on my Freeride skis and add the touring option.

I'm not sure yet if they'll be any mounting conflicts with that solution. Won't know until my Duke PT's and the jig arrive in August.

Will be new skis so no worries!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, a Whitedot Ragnarok CarbonLite or Altum 114 & Duke PT combo would be right up your street wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I think you’d be nuts to buy the Cast over the Duke PT.

Why?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, +1 for the Ragnarok CL....so good I’m still on my 4/5 season old pair, got a 2 seasons old pair Brand new drilled and prepped in stock, ready to go! Old ones keep going so I’ll be skiing these for many years to come......(here’s hoping....post pandemic).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon, thanks
snow conditions
Is the Duke PT 16 skiable without the “ride” toe unit, if it is lost for whatever reason on the climb up (or if you forget to pack it when setting off skinning from road) - not that anyone has ever left kit behind...

- can you lock the pin toe unit or is it locked in walk mode?
ski holidays
Grinning wrote:
Is the Duke PT 16 skiable without the “ride” toe unit, if it is lost for whatever reason on the climb up (or if you forget to pack it when setting off skinning from road) - not that anyone has ever left kit behind...

- can you lock the pin toe unit or is it locked in walk mode?

In tour mode you are further forward on the ski so you couldn't shut the heel and would have to tele. If you forgot the toe but remembered a screwdriver in theory you could move the heel forward as if you were setting for a smaller boot and shut the heel but god knows what the retention would be like.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy