Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Same skin for two sets of skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Touring newbie here. With all the resorts closed because of Covid-19 I thought I could start hiking up. Always wanted to do this so thought it'd be a good time to finally take the plunge.

Been looking at skins and they are not cheap. I have two pairs of skis which I'm hoping to get skins for and I'm wondering if I can just use the same skin for both skis.

Dimensions are:
127/88/121 180cm
134/96/117 184cm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a set of split skins.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unrelated to the actual question and not sure which country you are in, but do be aware that a number of resorts/countries are not allowing people to go touring. Partly as if anything happens you are going to be adding an unnecessary strain on resources that are needed elsewhere.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Contour hybrid split skins. Have been using these a lot the last 2 winters - mine fit anything from a 180 to a 190+ (other lengths available). The regular version are 40mm per side so should fit skis from 85mm waist upwards (check the website).

Though as said above depending on where you are currently touring is very hard to justify/illegal. In France the PGHM (mountain rescue) and various others (multi-cert mountain guide /A&E doctors I know for instance) have all called for people to stay out of the mountains as healthcare staff/resources are already over-stretched...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@freethemind, It depends on the type of touring/snow. If you get edge to edge skins for the narrower ski, they will tour well in all conditions, giving good edge grip when traversing steep slopes. You can then use the same skins on the wider skis for better conditions, but since you won’t have edge to edge grip with 4mm exposed underfoot, will be more difficult to maintain grip in steeper/hard snow conditions.

It also depends on whether you have high grip skins, which negate the effect slightly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
offpisteskiing wrote:

Though as said above depending on where you are currently touring is very hard to justify/illegal. In France the PGHM (mountain rescue) and various others (multi-cert mountain guide /A&E doctors I know for instance) have all called for people to stay out of the mountains as healthcare staff/resources are already over-stretched...

The PGHM are going to be patrolling popular routes and fining ski tourers from today. So it seems the decision is no skitouring now. Probably the accidents yesterday annoyed the authorities.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is there a site that translates the latest full official restrictions directly into English? I know stuff is reported in various news sites, but it’s difficult to know if anything is omitted or summarised.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve77 wrote:
Is there a site that translates the latest full official restrictions directly into English? I know stuff is reported in various news sites, but it’s difficult to know if anything is omitted or summarised.

Not in the details about you can't do sport X or sport Y. The French govt. is reacting to various situations and then the prefects will give instructions to the police about what to do. I notice the parapenting has stopped above our house now, there were hundreds out on Monday.

This is the official site: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-derogatoire-et-justificatif-de-deplacement-professionnel

the govt is relying on common sense
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I cut my Colltex skins a little large for my 176cm 98mm skis as I knew they were on their way out. The edge was right up to the ski edge metal on both sides but they still worked. I now have them on 179cm skis with a width of 104mm, so in reality they are only about 2 mm narrower than recommended which makes them much easier to put on in high winds. I'd say that if you cut a slit down the middle of your skin you should be fine transfering to the larger ski on moderate ground.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would cut the skins on each ski, clearly they will be better on the 88's. Is one set not more suited to touring than the other?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy