Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl was the secret virus hub in Europe (Important Info)t

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@hawkesbaynz, Gasteinertal is in lockdown. So is flachau (where I was last week) - we have had a letter to self isolate.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@holidayloverxx, who did you get your letter from?
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hawkesbaynz, the whole of the Tirol is in quarantine. If you have been there (or any other Austrian ski resort) in the past 3 weeks you need to assume you have been infected and act appropriately. Many, perhaps most, people have few, if any, symptoms. However you can still spread the virus, certainly go nowhere near a gym until any symptoms have gone anyway and you are sure there is no possibility of still having the virus. If you want a positive note, having had the virus is probably (though we cant be sure) the best defense against getting it again until a proper vaccine is developed.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sitter wrote:
PeterGee wrote:
So this explains the Ischgl rapid close. However, what was the St Anton trigger? I know it is close, but surely there is not much flow between the 2?


There is more flow between the two than people sometimes realise. Both are easily reached from Landeck so you do get people staying there and visiting both resorts. Both resorts are also accessed by the same rail line and use the same airports. Reports from friends living in St Anton is that there are more and more people coming down with it, and the numbers are increasing in Lech now too (that side of the Arlberg is now quarantined off).


This really does not make a lot of sense to me. Yes I know how the resorts can be reached, I've done it myself. However, I'm not convinced there is a massive interflow between the resorts. Many tourists I doubt would know how to easily get between the two, it more than a train. (Also the bus from Landeck) also as it is not on the same pass. And indeed if that were the case, why was Lech not impacted by the emergency lockdown where there is a large interflow between St Anton and Lech.

The Austrian authorities, deliberately or not, downplayed the Iscghl outbreak. On the Thursday 10th all of Tirol was declared to close from Sunday. At some stage on Friday, only St Anton and Ischgl made a dramatic decision to close lockdown immediately. (In fairness Ischgl was definitely harsher, everybody out by 7 PM. However, St Anton was really not that far behind. Yes the resorts closed on Sunday and have since been locked down, but locking down St Anton in the way they did was very dramatic. As the Austrian authorities downplayed Ischgl, I'm assuming there is missing information about infections in St Anton.

I'm very fond of Austria and would continue to ski in Austria by preference. However, really do think there should be a little more transparency about what happened on 11 March.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells wrote:
@holidayloverxx, who did you get your letter from?


from the Flachau Tourist Info. It was sent to all registered owners from the Gemeinde. The idea is that they will send a template to forward onto guests.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@PeterGee, I've taught a couple of people this season who have skied both places during one trip, and even one person staying in Kappl but skiing round in St Anton as they couldn't get weekend accommodation in St A and didn't want to ski Ischgl. And it's not uncommon for visitor from Australia or the States for instance to do longer trips and visit a couple of ski areas. I've also noticed an increasing number of weekenders this season, can't fail to notice the car parks full at the weekend. It's not inconceivable to imagine that some of these have skied both places either in the same weekend, or consecutive weekends given the number of cars with plates from southern Germany or around Zurich.

I'm not sure you've quite understood how things work in Austria, each state is relatively autonomous, hence the differing approaches between the two side of the Arlberg.

The closure of Ischgl was announced before anywhere else in Tirol (IIRC it was the Wednesday) the closure of the rest of the Tirol resorts was announced Thursday 12th in the evening (with other states following suit in the following hours). The quarantine of St Anton and Paznaun was taken out of the hands local authorities, it wasn't until it was announced by Kurz (Austrian chancellor) during his speech shortly after 14:00 on Friday 13th that people in the affected areas were aware of of it, indeed some where still out skiing, completely oblivious as to what was going on and why the lifts had suddenly stopped early in the afternoon. Watching the speech live on TV with others who have been living/working in the Arlberg, the shock was palpable.
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, very good of them to do that.
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hells Bells, the mayor is taking it very seriously. flachau in lockdown with roadblocks. food will be delivered to vulnerable people
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PeterGee wrote:
The Austrian authorities, deliberately or not, downplayed the Iscghl outbreak. On the Thursday 10th all of Tirol was declared to close from Sunday. At some stage on Friday, only St Anton and Ischgl made a dramatic decision to close lockdown immediately. (In fairness Ischgl was definitely harsher, everybody out by 7 PM. However, St Anton was really not that far behind. Yes the resorts closed on Sunday and have since been locked down, but locking down St Anton in the way they did was very dramatic. As the Austrian authorities downplayed Ischgl, I'm assuming there is missing information about infections in St Anton.

I'm very fond of Austria and would continue to ski in Austria by preference. However, really do think there should be a little more transparency about what happened on 11 March.

The handling of the situation in St Anton and Ischgl has been an absolute sh!tshow, which the relevant authorities are now being highly criticised for in the Austrian and I think German and Scandi media. It should have been announced or even closed earlier to allow an orderly and managed retreat by tourists, many of whom were forced to stop a night or two in hotels in other areas because they couldn't get a flight, thus risking further spread outside the quarantined areas. This is probably the reason that we are now all in quarantine.

Check those Austrian/German websites if you want more info (some links already posted, some in English).
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sitter wrote:
@PeterGee, I've taught a couple of people this season who have skied both places during one trip, and even one person staying in Kappl but skiing round in St Anton as they couldn't get weekend accommodation in St A and didn't want to ski Ischgl. And it's not uncommon for visitor from Australia or the States for instance to do longer trips and visit a couple of ski areas. I've also noticed an increasing number of weekenders this season, can't fail to notice the car parks full at the weekend. It's not inconceivable to imagine that some of these have skied both places either in the same weekend, or consecutive weekends given the number of cars with plates from southern Germany or around Zurich.

I'm not sure you've quite understood how things work in Austria, each state is relatively autonomous, hence the differing approaches between the two side of the Arlberg.

The closure of Ischgl was announced before anywhere else in Tirol (IIRC it was the Wednesday) the closure of the rest of the Tirol resorts was announced Thursday 12th in the evening (with other states following suit in the following hours). The quarantine of St Anton and Paznaun was taken out of the hands local authorities, it wasn't until it was announced by Kurz (Austrian chancellor) during his speech shortly after 14:00 on Friday 13th that people in the affected areas were aware of of it, indeed some where still out skiing, completely oblivious as to what was going on and why the lifts had suddenly stopped early in the afternoon. Watching the speech live on TV with others who have been living/working in the Arlberg, the shock was palpable.


I do understand the difference between Lech and St Anton. I was also skiing on the 11th when the decree was made.

I get why the lech announcement was later. However, Kurtz made the close now decision, that was not a state level decision.

If StAnton was closed only due to proximity, surely Kurtz would also have ordered Lech closed? Also why not other resorts similarly close, like Solden??

I am expecting there is more to the St Anton closure than has been shared!
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The first confirmed case in St Anton was somebody from one of the apres bars which may go some way to explaining it. People from Lech tend to only come over to ski and spend considerably less time in the apres bars, which is how it seems to have been spreading. Indeed, a number of the people I know who have it have either visited or work in bars in St Anton.
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet wrote:
PeterGee wrote:
The Austrian authorities, deliberately or not, downplayed the Iscghl outbreak. On the Thursday 10th all of Tirol was declared to close from Sunday. At some stage on Friday, only St Anton and Ischgl made a dramatic decision to close lockdown immediately. (In fairness Ischgl was definitely harsher, everybody out by 7 PM. However, St Anton was really not that far behind. Yes the resorts closed on Sunday and have since been locked down, but locking down St Anton in the way they did was very dramatic. As the Austrian authorities downplayed Ischgl, I'm assuming there is missing information about infections in St Anton.

I'm very fond of Austria and would continue to ski in Austria by preference. However, really do think there should be a little more transparency about what happened on 11 March.

The handling of the situation in St Anton and Ischgl has been an absolute sh!tshow, which the relevant authorities are now being highly criticised for in the Austrian and I think German and Scandi media. It should have been announced or even closed earlier to allow an orderly and managed retreat by tourists, many of whom were forced to stop a night or two in hotels in other areas because they couldn't get a flight, thus risking further spread outside the quarantined areas. This is probably the reason that we are now all in quarantine.

Check those Austrian/German websites if you want more info (some links already posted, some in English).


Yup, tourists weren't really given any choice/time to think through their options bar just getting out of resort, which naturally would mean overnighting somewhere to sort out onward travel. In St Anton the tourist office/geminde didn't seem to have been aware until the announcement on the 13th which didn't help as they would usually be people's first port of call yet they were still trying to get their heads around it. Things should hopefully all come out in the wash once this has all blown over and hopefully things looked in to properly.
latest report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
PeterGee wrote:
The Austrian authorities, deliberately or not, downplayed the Iscghl outbreak. On the Thursday 10th all of Tirol was declared to close from Sunday. At some stage on Friday, only St Anton and Ischgl made a dramatic decision to close lockdown immediately. (In fairness Ischgl was definitely harsher, everybody out by 7 PM. However, St Anton was really not that far behind. Yes the resorts closed on Sunday and have since been locked down, but locking down St Anton in the way they did was very dramatic. As the Austrian authorities downplayed Ischgl, I'm assuming there is missing information about infections in St Anton.

I'm very fond of Austria and would continue to ski in Austria by preference. However, really do think there should be a little more transparency about what happened on 11 March.

The handling of the situation in St Anton and Ischgl has been an absolute sh!tshow, which the relevant authorities are now being highly criticised for in the Austrian and I think German and Scandi media. It should have been announced or even closed earlier to allow an orderly and managed retreat by tourists, many of whom were forced to stop a night or two in hotels in other areas because they couldn't get a flight, thus risking further spread outside the quarantined areas. This is probably the reason that we are now all in quarantine.

Check those Austrian/German websites if you want more info (some links already posted, some in English).
Absolute shitshow. My friend who lives in Axams is now in total quarantine after his son and girfriend picked up the virus in St.Anton. They must have known that the virus was around, but nothing was said.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeterGee, there is now considerable evidence that people returning from St Anton who had never been to Ischgl were carrying the infection too (look at the St Anton thread). It became clear over a period mid to late last week that apres ski bars were a major risk in transmission of the virus. This triggered the reaction from the authorities, who then acted immediately (no doubt then concerned about criticism that they had been too slow to react previously). Clearly this caused a lot of chaos but in the circumstances was probably the only course of action left open. More cases started to be confirmed in other resorts (Sölden, Mayrhofen, Flachau etc) hence the decision to "quarantine" the whole of Tirol.

No one in Austria wants to see a situation like that currently happening in northern Italy where the undertakers cannot cope with the number of bodies and relatives are banned from seeing their dying loved ones, unfortunately this is something that is going to be repeated in too many other parts of the world in the near future.

No doubt once this is all over there will be many investigations and reports. I am sure many many mistakes were made but it is very easy to be wise after the event. The economic implications of all of this is almost unprecedented, certainly outside of war time and it was very difficult (perhaps impossible) for those making decisions to shut down the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of people without very good reason.
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.politico.eu/article/the-austrian-ski-town-that-spread-coronavirus-across-the-continent/
snow report     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey Folks

lots of upto date info (In Dutch) of Resorts & Apres Ski you may of visited and maybe unwittingly carrying the Virus....

https://skiinformatie.nl/liveblog-coronavirus-wintersport/
ski holidays     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy