Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Refunds and cancellations - who have been the good guys?

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter's Uni ski trip to France was cancelled and she was only offered a Refund Credit Note despite numerous emails. In the end she sent them a 'Letter before Action' with a 14 day deadline and they refunded the outstanding balance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FinnAir are Good Guys - although refund took a few months, they communicated clearly and didn't try any credit-note tricks. Got my money back today in full. They deserve support for their good behaviour.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philwig wrote:
Ah, so they paid for the people they laid off, did they? I doubt it.

No idea what sort of contract their staff were on, but I would have thought it likely that they would had to give them a week's notice. So even if laid off on 17 March they would still have been paid for the rest of the week.

And I don't think many, or indeed any, holiday companies have profited from this situation. The better capitalised ones have just about survived; the worse ones have gone to the wall. Ski Amis, in their current guise, were only set up a year ago so are unlikely to have much 'profit' to fall back on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A lot of the TOs actually took their staff back on then extended their contracts through the summer as they thought Seasonaires were unlikely to be able to work during the summer season anywarte due to Covid and if they were on the books they could then Furlough them for as long as they could to help their staff out.

The vast majority of their costs are fixed and incurred before the season starts.

So, despite what some might think, they are trying to do the right thing, they're not trying to profiteer but if the money ain't there they can't pay it out.

More will probably go pop before this Winter I suspect.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Update... Finally got the tax refunded on our swissair flights from March 15th. now we can progress an insurance claim for this part. very poor comms from Swiss BTW but we got there in the end.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Update from me... AXA has paid my claim for the 20% I lost on one trip. The operator and I negotiated 80% credit rollover to next year and a guarantee of this year's prices, and a 20% loss to me.

Initially AXA responded with a standard email denying the claim (without reading the documents showing that I was unable to travel due to FCO ruling, but operator was still providing the service, since it was in Sweden).

I discovered an absolute gem... AXA complaints department. I called to ask them to revisit the claim, which they filed as a formal complaint, which it turns out they aim to resolve within 3 days. After no action for months, the entire claim went from restart to resolved in about 36 hours. Definitely in the "good guys" camp.

For me, Barclaycard, BA, AXA, Easyjet, Arctic Elements*, Avis, booking.com have all been good. BA wins the prize from me - rapid response, no faffing, cash/credit/alternative flights all offered as options, and everyone's exec club status extended by a year in recognition of the fact that we can't fly much now.

Skiclub of GB insurance and Ski Amis have been so poor that I'd never go near either of them again. The latter one I doubt I'll have the opportunity to...

* a small Swedish operator, not to be confused with Alpine Elements, the alpine chalet operator that gets some more variable feedback from others.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpine Elements, thieves and liars.

Initially they said they'd refund within a month. Then, after a month, we receive an email telling us they'll refund in January 2021.
The legislation's quite clear in that a refund should be given within 14 days. Anything else is unlawful.

I get the impression they're trading whilst insolvent by taking others' deposits for holidays and not paying their debts.

You'd have to be mad to part with your money to these guys in light of knowledge of their recent behaviour. I don't believe you'd get your holiday, Covid-19 or not.

No great loss to the industry to see the back of companies like this.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Suspect you are right regarding Alpine Elements. They owe me £3000, and I am doubtful that I will get it back in 2021. I am also out of love for Expedia, with whom I booked Lufthansa flights that were cancelled by them (without telling me, I might add.) Emails get the same reply all the time, saying it is being dealt with by the relevant team. Flights cancelled by the airline are supposed to be refunded within 7 days.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Refund from SWISS (not Swissair, they went bust in the 1980s!) for cancelled flights in April credited to my card on Friday. They said later in the summer and they were true to their word!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rang EJ this morning as I have flight to Innsbruck end of September from gatwick. But earlier, when I went on line to book two more seats for friends, they said there were no flights between 19th Sep to 26th October. EJ tried to make out the flights are going, but have reached 75% capacity. Yeah all right. Yet it specifically said no flights on their web site. Not sold out, which it says on other flights/dates.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still waiting for my Lufthansa refund that they said was coming even though I didn't ask for it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
anyone had a refund thru from Ryan Air at all?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, Nope, nor from P&O, Austrian Airlines, OEBB x2, or Eurotunnel x3.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, Got my money from them via chargeback.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, yes...it was slow but the all through now. the july cancellation was refunded within 2 weeks. their website gives details of where they are up to with refunds. https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher
latest report
@holidayloverxx, hmm cheers, not had mine from a May flight cancelled Sad
snow report
@kitenski, have you got the phone number to call that doesn't cost anything? Have you declined the voucher on the phone? The refunds are only processed after you call them. Even if you clicked something to reject the voucher it wont be processed
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, no I clicked something a the time and got confirmation!! Can you recall what number you rang? The ones I have all seem to cost!
ski holidays
@kitenski, 0330 1007 838
latest report
@holidayloverxx, thank you! The chat bot takes me to an online form....
ski holidays
@kitenski, the online form won't get you a refund even though it is a refund request. operative said "it doesn't work" - I'll bet it doesn't!
latest report
I see from the Title this is for "Good Guys".
Where is the thieving, lying, absolute w@nkers thread as I have some constructive comments about GotoGate ?
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
I see from the Title this is for "Good Guys".
Where is the thieving, lying, absolute w@nkers thread as I have some constructive comments about GotoGate ?

The second post would be from me about Alpine Elements
snow report
Third would be from me with a tail from the other side about people double dipping their insurance companies and credit card refunds.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@kitenski, the online form won't get you a refund even though it is a refund request. operative said "it doesn't work" - I'll bet it doesn't!

Thanks for this, rang 15 times today before I got into a q, 90 mins on hold but finally confirmed that forms didn't work!! Now should get it 9-10 working days I hope!
snow conditions
@kitenski, excellent - my experience was the same. fingers crossed
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Third would be from me with a tail from the other side about people double dipping their insurance companies and credit card refunds.

What about Three-Fingered Pete from Blackadder I? We have a client that has done charge back, is attempting a refund from the TO, and I'm pretty sure has done an insurance claim. We have others that have done charge backs and yet had refunds from TOs too.
latest report
BA refund through quicker than they said
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Surprise, surprise, just had an e-mail from EJ, now telling me the flights are cancelled. Why couldnt they have just admitted that on Monday when I rang them to ask. It specifically said, NO FLIGHTS. Lets see how long this takes for them to credit me back.
ski holidays
@Snowfinders, that's about right. Our friends are currently closing out their offices and trying to rebuild the business off the kitchen table. They've had lease problems, issues with BT wanting penalty charges for their lines, problems with Barclays screwing up their record keeping, staff furloughs and layoffs because they fall through the gaps in the Gov safety net. Now they are having to fend off requests for payments from insurers who are claiming for people who have already been refunded.
snow report
Snowfinders wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

What about Three-Fingered Pete from Blackadder I? We have a client that has done charge back, is attempting a refund from the TO, and I'm pretty sure has done an insurance claim. We have others that have done charge backs and yet had refunds from TOs too.

I hope they realise that fraud is not just a civil offence; if the TO reports it to police they may end up with a criminal record (with difficulties in travelling to the US and perhaps elsewhere).
And that fradulent travel claims may impact not only on getting travel insurance in future, but also on motor, house/contents and other insurance.

Double claims in the short term have been understandable given no-one knew who was actually going to refund, or when - but don't count on TOs, banks and insurers not catching up with it. Doubling up on chargeback and refunds will be easy to pick up, as they both ultimately come from the TO. But once a TO / airline etc can say it has processed 100% of refunds it will be easy for insurers to check if they have paid any associated claims. IMO better to voluntarily refund any double claim straightaway; delaying risks either civil or criminal action (or both).
snow report
@jafa, Easyjet are getting better. They cancelled flights out for the 19th July on the 2nd, refund requested for booking (out and back) same day. Refunded outbound only to CC on 29th July. Rang to complain and request refund for return flights that they hadn't cancelled. That was also refunded on the 29th July.

My early May flights got refunded at the end of June.

My complaint is with my CC company which is telling me that it will take 15 working days to refund to my Bank.
snow conditions
We have been advised by Qantas and Virgin Australia that our flights were cancelled - no refund just a voucher. We have rejected this and claimed on travel insurance. The flights were the travel component of a package booked through Expedia.co.uk. Given we are UK based and have no idea when the Australian Govt will re-open its borders a voucher to use in the next 12 months is useless to us. We would give it to family to use, but they are not transferable. placing both Virgin and Qantas in the "Bad Guys" category.
snow conditions
Despite our previous advice from the bank stating that our money had been refunded (via a chargeback) and was definitely ours, I have today received a letter from them saying "I am still investigating your dispute with Sunweb Holidays. We have received a further response from the retailer which we have declined. Sunweb Holidays have now referred the case to MasterCard for an independent review and final decision. If the outcome of the claim is unsuccessful, I will contact you to advise that the transaction will be reapplied to your account."

Perhaps Sunweb should divert the cash used to sponsor a Tour de France team into refunding their customers in accordance with the law rolling eyes
snow conditions
ecureuil wrote:
Snowfinders wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

I hope they realise that fraud is not just a civil offence; if the TO reports it to police they may end up with a criminal record (with difficulties in travelling to the US and perhaps elsewhere).
And that fradulent travel claims may impact not only on getting travel insurance in future, but also on motor, house/contents and other insurance.

Double claims in the short term have been understandable given no-one knew who was actually going to refund, or when - but don't count on TOs, banks and insurers not catching up with it. Doubling up on chargeback and refunds will be easy to pick up, as they both ultimately come from the TO. But once a TO / airline etc can say it has processed 100% of refunds it will be easy for insurers to check if they have paid any associated claims. IMO better to voluntarily refund any double claim straightaway; delaying risks either civil or criminal action (or both).

This exactly what I did (mentioned much earlier in the thread) when my insurance was seemingly trying to say I wasn't covered so I started a chargeback, which was credited by Amex straight away and then got paid out, so cancelled the chargeback. Unfortunately a lot of our society will try and profit from stuff like this and feel they are entitled to do so as they lost their holiday.
snow conditions
@Yoda, would be interesting to see how Sunweb has avoided timing out on this: is it >30 days since the last interaction? Fingers crossed for you.
ski holidays
dunc999 wrote:
Unfortunately a lot of our society will try and profit from stuff like this and feel they are entitled to do so as they lost their holiday.

People who carry out this sort of malpractice are no better than the TO's trying to rip customers off, a sad indictment of society today Sad
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
My daughter's Uni ski trip to France was cancelled and she was only offered a Refund Credit Note despite numerous emails. In the end she sent them a 'Letter before Action' with a 14 day deadline and they refunded the outstanding balance.

Was this Wasteland by any chance? Exactly the same with my daughter - a load of bogus ABTA quites, then a “guaranteed” credit note that they’d turn into cash in about two years! I took the same approach - threatened them with court, money refunded in a few days.
ski holidays
On a slightly different note Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam have refused to either refund or change our booking. We live in Belgium and were due to visit there last week before the Belgian government changed their travel advice.

To complicate matters the Belgian government (although they strictly still don't have one) have a three tiered traffic light approach which is very confusing.

If returning from a red area then it is a mandatory quarantine for 14 days.

If returning from a green area then you do not need to quarantine.

If returning from an amber area then they "suggest" that you quarantine. Amsterdam is currently an amber area but we have decided to not travel there as Mrs H is a teacher and doesn't want to risk of starting a new school year with new pupils whilst being asymptomatic.

To further complicate matters you can leave a green area, go to an airport in a red area, mix with thousands of people, get into an aircraft, mix with about a hundred of others, fly to Belgium and then they treat you as if you were travelling from a green area as you have only "transited" through a red area.
snow report
I'm adding Expedia to the failure list. My airline is not running the route I booked, to a destination I can't go to. They offered me a voucher (I said no), then they offered me an alternative route to the destination I can't go to. I said no. They then referred me to Expedia as I had booked through a "Travel Agent". Expedia refused to refund me as I have apparenttly been given a "Credit" by the airline. For credit, read voucher. Have now intiaited Section 75 action with my credit card company.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy