Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

New to snowheads, I'm a 33 year old who has severely caught the ski bug over the last couple of years! I'm a full time teacher so limited to school holidays and was due to attend my first UCPA course this April midterm in Val Thorens. I was really looking forward to it for the coaching and getting to know new people as I'd be travelling solo. I've done about 4 weeks and would rate myself around intermediate level. Because I will be off for almost 3 months, June, July and half of August, I've started to think about just packing up and heading to South America or New Zealand for the summer and getting an extended period of skiing in. As I would be travelling solo I would love to find something along the lines of the UCPA centers where you would get to know other people, however, I think this is wishful thinking. I have seen a few companies offer ski instructor courses (such as SIA Austria) in Argentina for 4/ 6 weeks. They seem to cater for intermediate level skiers too but are quite expensive and I don't really intend on packing in the full time job just (yet!) but some aspects of these are quite appealing.

Does anyone have any recent experience of skiing in South America or New Zealand and now of anything that would suit what I'm looking for? Am I mad to be looking at the ski instructor courses if I don't intend to become a full time ski instructor?

Greatly appreciate any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome.

Skiing in the Southern Hemisphere is much flatter and smaller than the Northern Hemisphere.

Perisher, Australia, is the largest ski resort in the Southern Hemisphere, and it is -80% smaller than Val Thorens.

Paying good money to be trained as an instructor, to not become an instructor, is a waste of cash.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold wrote:
Welcome.

Skiing in the Southern Hemisphere is much flatter than the Northern Hemisphere.

But we had some steep skiing in Chile when we went there... Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Whitegold. Didn't know that about the Southern Hemisphere, when you read reviews they make it out to sound brilliant! Absolute sense about the instructor course too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chile - Portillo is pretty cool. Direct flights into Santiago and 2 hr transfer. They do different levels of accommodation and a few different residential courses there so you might find something to fit your budget/needs.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Chamboy, I will have a look into that and see if there is anything affordable.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gar, I would look at Bariloche in Argentina, cheaper accom + food + riding+ tuition etc plus great craic.
Most of the other SA resorts won't have programmes for instructors because they want to keep these jobs for locals.

Downside of Bariloche is the snow has been poor in the last few years. Portillo and Santiago resorts also had low snow in 2019.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dbeatski, was this no snow or poor snow. Given winter for me was a washout, all options are on the board for a summer slide
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@efsefs, Argentina have cancelled all international flights until 1st September unfortunately and Chile is in lockdown too. I have flights booked for Chile in August since December. Im hoping that with still three months to go they can loosen restrictions.
As to your question, Bariloche Catedral mountain would typically be no snow at base, icy patches in the mid section and only refreeze/crusty ice at the top. Some Chile resorts had low base/patches and no fresh for weeks on end, but Nevados de Chillan and the southern resorts were fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I guess the trick is going to be to wait until lock-down status both in UK and Chilie is good, then ensure there's snow somewhere out there, then rush at it whilst it's there to be taken.

Intermediates taking instructor courses always seems to be putting things in the wrong order to me.

Paying to learn how to teach snow-sports to novices without any intention of doing it? Strange.
I think those courses exist so kids can get their rich parents to fund gap year holidays whilst feeling that there may be some purpose to it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philwig wrote:

Intermediates taking instructor courses always seems to be putting things in the wrong order to me.

do they pass?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Direct flights into Santiago and 2 hr transfer.

Really? We had to change in Paris.
Quote:

Oddly this is where you get the best instruction and feedback. Most recreational skiers are not prepared to read the books or attend the evening classes. The science and mechanics is usually explained better too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not looking good for South America.
Argentina’s not happening.
Chile... not quite shut down but presumably likely to go the same way:

https://www.powder.com/stories/news/las-lenas-will-not-have-a-ski-season-this-year/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy