Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This shows why a 360 is the way to go vs ordinary GoPro

Poster: A snowHead
Oh well looks like a new toy is on the cards!

Mate took his 360 out and the results are amazing!

What you can do with the footage is quite incredible, however, getting it to a final edit is a tad more demanding, but once sussed is pretty good. Then the fun n'games of transferring it from an Ipad to a LapTop.

And when watching the vid you might think what's the big deal, so think how was the filming achieved without someone pointing and turning the camera if that makes sense?

http://youtube.com/v/elFEPGBMOtg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes that is impressive.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nice, what's it mounted to?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What model of camera is this ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@endoman, selfie stick in back-pack

@sheffskibod, it's the Insta360 One X though see that a new camera has just been launched the "R" but reading reviews there are a few glitches and if you already have a GoPro you don't need one as such, but then the "R" combines the functionality of both.

I've been playing around editing my mate's footage and it's quite confusing, but slowly getting there.

So will pull a trigger me thinks as the OH is super keen!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ta. Great idea re the mount. May see if I can do that with mine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yup I've used mine twice, and wouldn't go back to a "normal" GoPro now

The GoPro Max is waterproof without any covering, hence why I got that over the Insta360 - plus a £100 trade in for any (not even working) digital camera on the GoPro site!

https://gopro.com/en/gb/shop/tradeup

http://youtube.com/v/9McJDj6lRH0
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, so the max gets you 360 deg functionality over the hero 8 for an extra £100 ? My kid is after one for parachuting climbing skiing etc.. Can it record in both 360 and normal mode simultaneously ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
Can it record in both 360 and normal mode simultaneously ?
No and yes. It will record in either 360 mode or normal mode, not both at the same time. But it is designed so that when you record in 360 mode, after the fact you can 'punch in' and select a normal frame size from anywhere in the 360 field of view (and move it around at will). The only downside to this is that the video quality of this 'punched in' viewpoint will not be quite as good as a regular GoPro camera on its best video setting, but it's close enough for most purposes and the advantage of being able to reframe your video after you have recorded it is invaluable in some situations.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, I take it you have one ! That makes sense and to me sounds like most of the framing and direction of view is done during editing as what would appear as per the tail end of Kitenskis video... Is the editing then more of a pain/involved when using 360 mode?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:
@rob@rar, I take it you have one !
wink Not the GoPro Max, I have an Insta360 One X. Plus a normal GoPro.

skimottaret wrote:
That makes sense and to me sounds like most of the framing and direction of view is done during editing as what would appear as per the tail end of Kitenskis video... Is the editing then more of a pain/involved when using 360 mode?
The editing adds an extra step, but not too onerous, and it can be done as easily on a phone as it can be on a desktop computer. The Insta 360 and GoPro software have 'AI' functions which take your footage and have a go at editing / reframing it using their algorithms, as well as full manual control which is fairly easy to learn.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, they are great - I've had my insta 360 one x for a year now and the quality of the footage is incredible. I can definitely recommend it. Editing it in the app is so straight forward, very easily done on a phone.

We actually had a thread all about 360 cams this time last year when they were a relatively new concept in case any one wants to take a browse...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142099&highlight=360
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks chappies, looks like a GoPro Max is coming the kids way, might even have to borrow it to test out Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had fun playing with the Insta360 One X too.

Super easy to edit the footage right on your phone, and you can output it in a lot of different ways.

Real 360° so the viewer you can swipe and choose their POV:

http://youtube.com/v/IWhRY_vHUkY

Helmet mount 'flat' video:

http://youtube.com/v/R3KlpvIMeok

Generally I think the videos look best in vertical format as you get more of the skis/skier in shot, and it's also much more watchable on mobile and most social media - apart from YouTube...

http://youtube.com/v/YEPk4CJ_lWE

@Weathercam, did you just stick the 'invisible selfie stick' in your backpack for that video, or did you stabilise it somehow?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, it was my mate filming us etc he just had the invisible selfie stick in his back-pack
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
... Generally I think the videos look best in vertical format as you get more of the skis/skier in shot, and it's also much more watchable on mobile and most social media - apart from YouTube... ...

I hate vertical format, but of course each to their own. Perhaps it's a question of what you're used to; I tend to assume it's people who haven't worked out how to rotate their phone wink

You need a longer pole. Size doesn't really matter except when it does:
Snowboarding in Blue River 2019-2020 from phil 45464
https://vimeo.com/383277860

The main compromise is quality - the sensors have a bit more resolution, but a lot more of the world to cover, and you're going to crop into that fairly brutally.
snow report
For the Pro users GoPro have a very good Premiere Pro plugin which will supposedly let you output the same edited footage in all sorts of formats from vertical to landscape etc. I love the way he uses the camera to transition between scenes in this

http://youtube.com/v/sHzex7EnkCI
snow conditions
The premiere pro plugin is really good - way better than phone editing. There's a good tutorial on using it on youtube from abe kislevitz.

Found it easy with a couple of screens to follow the tips side by side with my footage and got some decent results.

http://youtube.com/v/gy5zClAirQU

Been loving my gopro max. Haven't had a chance to use it in snow but have been sticking it on the front of my surfboard and got some cool shots. The stills from it are great fun too.

ski holidays
@hang11, what device are you running premiere pro on?? Are you on the adobe subscription model?
snow report
Surface Pro 4 I7 plugged into a 27" screen. 3 year old PC, runs fine. I am on the sub model (taking advantage of student pricing my kids get).
snow conditions
@hang11, nice, no GPU needed then??? How long does it take to render??
latest report
It's pretty quick. Get the odd crash but it's fine. I'm not waiting so long that I'm thinking about new hardware (which I would like an excuse to buy). Typically only been playing with smaller bits of footage though - couple of minutes edited down to 20 second parts.
latest report
@kitenski, interesting questions, I have Premier Elements but the plug-in is pro only and as my internet here in Serre Che is bollox not too sure about the viability, but sure does take a lot of the editing hassle out from the looks of things, should be ok though......

But do you get the same sweet functionality of moving the iPad etc ?
snow conditions
@Weathercam, I’ve done my edits on an old 10.2” iPad Pro, seems “good enough”, not very granular on scene/view selection but seems to render pretty fast.
snow report
Premier is desktop software, just needs a net connection to verify the licence, and that is only every couple of weeks, so it can be used with no innerweb.
ski holidays
@hang11, what’s the cheapest way to buy Premiere without a monthly sub?

Tried my Max in a backpack, think I prefer the angles you can get when holding it on a pole as per the first part of this. Having fun mucking around with transitions

http://youtube.com/v/DQi5L_K2ofs
snow conditions
@kitenski, not sure you can these days. Think it’s all sub based. Not cheap but my kids need it for uni so I use their student discount - costs me $40 Nz - 20 quid - a month for the whole suite. I use some of the other software for work as well so it’s a necessary cost.

I think the GoPro software for editing footage on Mac is about to be released for windows so that may end up being the best way to go because it’s free. Think it’s in final testing.
ski holidays
@hang11, cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy