Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If your European holiday is cancelled support Scottish skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
[quote="Backcountryboarder"]@cameronphillips2000, yeah, that's what I'm beginning to worry about too now that France has closed. It's all very well people wanting to ski in Scotland but is it going to mean that our Ski Centres are going to end up rammed with people?[/quot

Let's not.forget that the season was wiped.out last year. This year started.bery late really so the centres need every bit of.cash they can get. Ok, weekends and holidays might get rammed but surely.we.need to encourage as.many people there as possible. Scottish skiing has been on its knees financially and needs a lift.
I was a bit.disappointed with people on here trying to keep the crowds away. The industry needs to make hay on the next two months.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
larry1950 wrote:
@klang180, I ski at Cairngorm and can assure you that the information put out by @TheGeneralist is wrong, there was a company called Natural Retreats in charge for a few years who did a lot of damage but they are gone and the present management is trying very hard to get skiing back to what it was before while battling the negative attitudes shown above, as for the funicular that is in the hands of the Scottish Government. Each area has their own websites and are on Facebook, look there and make your own mind up.

The big boy did it and run away fairytale. Natural Retreats was not the cause but merely a symptom. If HIE and CML had competently managed CairnGorm then NR wouldn’t have happened. It was the same operations team and HIE people pre, during and post NR. Much of the damage was already done when NR arrived.

If your local it makes sense to ski on CairnGorm, if your not and want to support the areas go to the other four which don’t have the public sector comfort blanket to pay the wages each month!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cameronphillips2000, Glencoe on Friday, neither a weekend or a holiday, car park mobbed before 9am, massive queue for tickets which I was thankfully near the front of when the window opened, massive queues up on the hill by 11.30am, people parking in space that isn't meant for parking in and also parking on the access road in passing places. Once all the allotted parking space is full, Glencoe should actually stop selling tickets

I'm happy to see the Ski Centres busy and making good money BUT there's acceptable busy and there's overcrowded, selling too many tickets, lift queues of 20 to 30 minutes busy. Are all these potential new customers going to think about coming back if they spend 2/3rds of their day standing in these queues?

Add to that the fact that because of the very late start to the season, a lot of the Central Belt part timers who are usually just about ready to put the Winter toys away by now and break out the golf bats or mountain bikes, are still actually in Ski and Board mode and turning up to the Ski Centres so the usual drop off in numbers might not have happened until early to mid April anyway.

Glenshee is probably best set up to absorb large numbers of people, if the full area is open and skiable, which it isn't at the moment. The fact it was raining to above car park level at Glenshee when I arrived at 8am today isn't going to help much with that.

@cameronphillips2000, I've been Skiing then Snowboarding in Scotland amongst other places for 4 decades now. I remember the days of standing in an 8 line deep queue for the M1 Poma for instance at Cairngorm, and they were still selling tickets and sending people up the hill!! I just wouldn't like to experience days like that ever again so as I said, I'm all for the Centres being busy so long as they're not overcrowded.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 16-03-20 1:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Backcountryboarder wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, Glencoe on Friday, neither a weekend or a holiday, car park mobbed before 9am, massive queue for tickets which I was thankfully near the front of when the window opened, massive queues up on the hill by 11.30am, people parking in space that isn't meant for parking in and also parking on the access road in passing places. Once all the allotted parking space is full, Glencoe should actually stop selling tickets

I'm happy to see the Ski Centres busy and making good money BUT there's acceptable busy and there's overcrowded, selling too many tickets, lift queues of 20 to 30 minutes busy. Are all these potential new customers going to think about coming back if they spend 2/3rds of their day standing in these queues?

Add to that the fact that because of the very late start to the season, a lot of the Central Belt part timers who are usually just about ready to put the Winter toys away by now and break out the golf bats or mountain bikes, are still actually in Ski and Board mode and turning up to the Ski Centres so the usual drop off in numbers might not have happened until early to mid April anyway.

Glenshee is probably best set up to absorb large numbers of people, if the full area is open and skiable, which it isn't at the moment. The fact it was raining to above car park level at Glenshee when I arrived at 8am today isn't going to help much with that.

@cameronphillips2000, I've been Skiing then Snowboarding in Scotland amongst other places for 4 decades now. I remember the days of standing in an 8 line deep queue for the M1 Poma for instance at Cairngorm, and they were still selling tickets and sending people up the hill!! I just wouldn't like to experience days like that ever again so as I said, I'm all for the Centres being busy so long as their not overcrowded.

I totally get that.
But resorts across Europe and North America have gone under in recent years and Scotland skiing needs a revenue boost.

I see your point though, if they over crowd, the newbies won't come back.

I remember the one hour queue to ski the Tiger back in the day....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was at Coe on Friday. The upluft queues were just about manageable; just. I've been in much, much worse ones over the last few years at Nevis, for instance. Darn sight less than out in the Dolomites recently, doubtless other main European resorts. The drafted flat light later was more of the bummer, IMHO Confused
I agree about the car park though: was chaos, not helped by a lot of bad parking by visitors. The staff really do need to try and direct cars and parkers better and stop parking in inappropriate places. But in a way, numbers on the hill, at Coe or Glenshee or Nevis or Lecht (and from old memories at Cairngorm) are self limited by car parking space, which just about keeps it under control as long as all the lifts are working. When they're not (e.g. great snow, blue skies but windy) then you've really got problems.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A great day @ Cairngorms, 17k of skiing, no queues, no visibility, only regulars who have supported the place in bad times.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Stephen59, the reason there's no queues at Cairngorm is because people are staying away from the place due to years of bad management. While HIE are still involved that probably won't change.

The 'regulars' are welcome to it until Cairngorm reinstate some of the drag lifts and at least one of the chairlifts in the Ciste that have been ripped out. Worst thing that ever happened for snow sports on Cairngorm was the Funicular Railway getting put in. I realise they need to get the non skiing tourists up to the Ptarmigan, but it was almost like skiers and boarders had become an inconvenience at times.

I'll still happily use the car park if I'm heading up on the Splitboard, but am one of the many who won't give Cairngorm another penny until they improve the uplift back to pre Funicular levels. Will instead direct my cash, along with plenty others to the Ski Centres that don't get public money handed to them on a plate but who actually have to put in the hard work to pay the bills.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent, remember not to use the piste on the way up or down.
Walk from Glen More
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Stephen59, I'll skin up whichever way takes my fancy thanks, usually clear of the Ski Area before it opens anyway Haha!!

Walk from Glenmore? You mean like all those early start walkers and climbers do Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy