Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If your European holiday is cancelled support Scottish skiing

Poster: A snowHead
@Cygnus, Braemar Mountain Sports for Glenshee or Cairngorm Mountain Sports in Aviemore.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glencoe today was mega stupidly busy in terms of car parking and lift queues (the lifts are old, and slooooooow), but still relaxing and uncrowded on the slopes. Snow fantastic. Bluebird this morning, but cloudy & very flat light afternoon.

I'm all for supporting Scottish skiing, but really don't want folk to get the wrong idea, especially if travelling a long way. It isn't the Alps. It's Scotland. The weather is Scottish: unpredictable, unreliable and changeable. The chances of a run of 3+ useable days in any 7 are not great (but not impossible). Even if you can get on the hills every day (sometimes by driving around from east to west & vice versa), the weather can be very changeable (like today) and often the visibility is bad, the wind high and cold. A few hours during any day is often realistic, not a full day.
If it is a bluebird day, expect it to be busy - not on the slopes, but in the car park & lift and ticket office and toilet queues.
Snow quality and depth can be anything from superb powder to thin scrubby ice and slush and combat conditions.
There are not many chairlifts, and many are old (how many people at Coe today were complaining about coming up in Cliffy chairs with no bars, or bars that didn't lock? I know that I did 2 runs sans any bar at all.)
Some facilities are quite basic (personally, the on mountain chips & pie today looked fantastic and the good hut better than any music-blaring European overpriced place).
Even on the best deep snow days, your perfect, recently serviced bases will get scored to pieces by rocks, gravel or the base-scratching McGremlin.
Fundamentally, Scottish skiing can be great, and is certainly different. It can be challenging, mostly it is fun. Sometimes, you just have to laugh. BUT, don't expect to book a week and come up from wherever for a ski holiday. Either watch the weather and get up on a good day or preferably two (with the hoardes, unless you tour) or preferably book a week, bring a car (and some books to read, and waterproofs) and just explore the area, local or wider afield. Make it a holiday, and plan to walk or shop or drive if you can't ski. I've had many great ones of those. It's a lovely place.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where are all the doommongers, on all the other threads the French are being criticised for not shutting the resorts. Given the size of the qs at Glenshee on a normal day surely the Scottish Government must intervene.......

Curious double standards on snowheads. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely was an outdoor gathering of more than 500 people today, @chocksaway Puzzled wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James77 wrote:
Isn't the idea not to move about too much and potentially spread the virus?

Just think as we move forward how your actions might have a knock on effect to others.

You can "move about" without increasing the potential to spread the virus.

If you actually pay attention to "how your actions might have a knock on effect to others", you can limit your interaction with others while driving up to Scotland to ski.

Yesterday, I drove 4 hrs to a mountain town, stayed in a hotel and today skied a full day. I had ZERO interaction during my drive, and VERY LIMITED interaction during the day of skiing.

fuel: self-served
hotel check-in: I'm in front of the counter, the clerk behind, we weren't exactly 6', but definitely 3'+
food: I shopped grocery, using the SELF-CHECKOUT lane. Cooked the ready-to-heat meal, add vegetable + spices, microwaved. Quite tasty actually.

Skiing: lift pass can be purchased online and a quick scan to pick up. Though for me, I have a Epic pass which works here (Crested Butte)
Lifts: There's very short lines. But even if it has a line, it's outdoors. The stiff wind would have dissipated the virus VERY quickly into the woods. Not to mention half of the people were wearing facemask (for warmth) anyway.
Lunch: I brought my own.
Restroom: I washed my hands BEFORE and AFTER use. So if I'm contagious, less of it to pass onto others. If there're others who're contagious, I would be less likely to pick it up.

It's not exactly a "holiday". No eating out and no drinking in pubs. But the skiing was quite good. That's what I'm after, and I got it. snowHead

Not saying everyone need to go to Scotland. But for those who really want to ski, you can do it as safe as you can make it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
what...snow wrote:
For Glencoe or Nevis

https://www.corranbunkhouse.co.uk/

A lovely hostel that will make you think twice about writing such places off @Mike Pow. Great place. Twin en-suite bedrooms, cooking facilities, big lounge, lovely owners, decent drying rooms, 3 local pubs

Thanks

Looks very good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Really good post by Grizzler.
Sums it up perfectly
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizzler, You’ve really got it, my OH and son were at Cairngorm yesterday, a perfect day of sunshine and no wind - today the complete opposite with wind 40-50 mph and snow, as the winds are expected to increase it’s unlikely they will open today.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Grizzler, +1 superb sum up.

Although I'd add in that the weather March onwards is generally better than early winter, absolutely nothing is guaranteed in Scotland however.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone know the pros and cons of going East vs West? As far as I can see the west has more potential for good snow but the east is less crowded and better chance of good weather, is that about right?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some great info and awesome pics on this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148494&start=360
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
klang180 wrote:
Anyone know the pros and cons of going East vs West? As far as I can see the west has more potential for good snow but the east is less crowded and better chance of good weather, is that about right?

Its really about conditions at the time, either can be better for periods, it can get busy on the East as well, if Glenshee is fully open as it pretty much is now, being fairly spread out helps, several lifts leave from the carpark which really helps with queues(3 chairlifts and some pomas) it can get insanely busy at weekends everywhere when it's sunny and conditions are good- so busy carparks are full and people are turned away. I always aim for midweek if possible.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow wrote:
Can someone please school me on Scottish Skiing.

I'm more than happy to drive 1hr each day so recommendations for accommodation gratefully accepted.

Everything I've seen on booking.com has been > £80 per night

Not interested in camping or hostels.

Thanks

travel lodge ahead of time or premier inn both in Fort William
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Can someone please school me on Scottish Skiing.

I'm more than happy to drive 1hr each day so recommendations for accommodation gratefully accepted.

Everything I've seen on booking.com has been > £80 per night

Not interested in camping or hostels.

Thanks

travel lodge ahead of time or premier inn both in Fort William

Thanks

Both more expensive than B&B options elsewhere.

Addmitedly the location is superb.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mike Pow, what kind of prices are you finding? I had a price of £78.98 for 2 nights fully flexible/cancellable booking a week in advance at the travelodge.
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, try the huts at Glencoe as well?? https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/accommodation/
ski holidays
alasdair.graham wrote:
klang180 wrote:

Its really about conditions at the time, either can be better for periods, it can get busy on the East as well, if Glenshee is fully open as it pretty much is now, being fairly spread out helps, several lifts leave from the carpark which really helps with queues(3 chairlifts and some pomas) it can get insanely busy at weekends everywhere when it's sunny and conditions are good- so busy carparks are full and people are turned away. I always aim for midweek if possible.

Thanks that's helpful. We are for some reason drawn more to the East I think because we have at least visited the West a little in the past whereas never been to the East. Just looking for a break really and lowering our expectations significantly, it is just about experiencing something different that we wouldn't usually go for. trying to decide where to stay though as we want to be able to do other things if the skiing is not happening.
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone know the pros and cons of going East vs West?

Yep. Cairngorm is in the east, it has been run into the ground by vile scummers over the last 20 years. Utter incompetence or malice, who knows. Hence I avoid it like the plague. Their main lift is now borked, which is a further reason not to go.

I'd not go to the lecht because it is tiny and miles away and not that exciting. Having said which they seem to make a great effort so good luck to them.

Glenshee is heuge and if Corrie Fionn is open then it's good.

The coe and Nevis, however, are in a different league. The rocks by the Canyon, east Ridge and Fly Paper are great. You can get some brilliant challenging lines. If the Dark Side Access run is open then it's just brilliant. Best morning skiing I ever had lapping it on that famous day when the access road was blocked and almost nobody could get to the car park.

Likewise if the back Corries at Nevis are open then it's sublime. Easy Gully OMG. If the back is shut then Nevis is very limited.
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:

Anyone know the pros and cons of going East vs West?

Yep. Cairngorm is in the east, it has been run into the ground by vile scummers over the last 20 years. Utter incompetence or malice, who knows. Hence I avoid it like the plague. Their main lift is now borked, which is a further reason not to go.

I'd not go to the lecht because it is tiny and miles away and not that exciting. Having said which they seem to make a great effort so good luck to them.

Glenshee is heuge and if Corrie Fionn is open then it's good.

The coe and Nevis, however, are in a different league. The rocks by the Canyon, east Ridge and Fly Paper are great. You can get some brilliant challenging lines. If the Dark Side Access run is open then it's just brilliant. Best morning skiing I ever had lapping it on that famous day when the access road was blocked and almost nobody could get to the car park.

Likewise if the back Corries at Nevis are open then it's sublime. Easy Gully OMG. If the back is shut then Nevis is very limited.

Hey Generalist thanks for this, very instructive. It sounds like we should avoid Cairngorm and Lecht in that case for different but valid reasons. The latter is however sort of close to Shee so I wonder if it is worth visiting if you are already in the area and conditions look ok? However I am starting to think that the East isn't really worth visiting for skiing and that we should be looking at Coe instead. I like the sound of Nevis but without the right any stuff I would be worried about the back bowls, am I right to be? We would be in Scotland for a good few days (maybe up to 8 to 9) so do you think there is enough in the East to interest us from a walking point of view plus potential skiing or would you be looking purely at the West? Sorry to ask follow ups just asking in case you do know.

Thanks
latest report
@klang180, I ski at Cairngorm and can assure you that the information put out by @TheGeneralist is wrong, there was a company called Natural Retreats in charge for a few years who did a lot of damage but they are gone and the present management is trying very hard to get skiing back to what it was before while battling the negative attitudes shown above, as for the funicular that is in the hands of the Scottish Government. Each area has their own websites and are on Facebook, look there and make your own mind up.
snow report
https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/weather-webcams/mountain-report/

Cairngorm is open, but they've closed the shuttle service to reduce people being in proximity to each other.
ski holidays
@klang180,
As you're planning on spending 8 or 9 days I'd certainly try a few resorts.
West definitely has the best of it but I can vouch for Glenshee too, I've only been the once but really enjoyed it. People have been posting very positive reports from there on the Scottish weather thread recently too.
I personally try never to book accommodation more than a few days in advance as the weather's so.... Well Scottish! Which is another reason to keep your options open.
In my experience it's just the weekends that can get booked up solid (don't know about half term) but I imagine you might get lucky with a possibly higher rate of cancellations too.

Edit. Had to remove a stray apostrophe. Predictive text is a double egged sword. wink
snow report
If the temps stay down and there is good coverage then Glenshee is the nearest thing Scotland has to an Alpine mountain feel with the 3 valleys. The car park is pretty huge so even if it is busy they can seem to be able to deal with a large crowd well.

Cairngorm has Aviemore, if you are looking for the resort atmosphere. At least I think it still exists there. The resort atmosphere, not the village.

As others have said, Glencoe can struggle a little with high numbers of visitors, cars were abandoned yesterday on the access road and folks were getting their cars blocked in by the usual idiots until the staff started intervening. They only have 2 ticket windows at the moment, after the fire at the start of the season that took out the cafe building, so the queue to buy tickets was half way down the car park, around 35-40mins to get to counter. And that was a Friday, though admittedly a particular set of circumstances brought alot of folk there. The lifts are not high capacity so can get big queues, though the pistes are never busy because of that. On it's day I think it is the best place to be, for the pure skiing experience and the views. There are quite a few runs that never see the piste beastie, this is deffo not Italy. Oh, don't hire gear there if it is a busy one and you aren't on site at 8am to be at front of queue, it'll go a long way to ruining your day. Or shortening it. Laughing Sadly there are no off site hire options that are very near.

Only been to the Lecht once with my daughter and really enjoyed it. Not particularly challenging, with mostly shortish runs, but good atmosphere and seemed well run. Great for beginners and improvers.

I can't speak for Nevis as never been, would be 2nd hand info. But the reports in past years of the backs have been tempting me from afar. Not sure what the current status is, open/closed or secured/unsecured. Not sure what the correct term is there.
snow report
Just out of interest the BC health minister has reccomended skiing as apparently it is less transmissible outside! We haven't got much yet mind.
snow report
Larry 1950.....
Quote:

@klang180, I ski at Cairngorm and can assure you that the information put out by @TheGeneralist is wrong, there was a company called Natural Retreats in charge for a few years who did a lot of damage but they are gone and the present management is trying very hard to get skiing back to what it was before while battling the negative attitudes shown above, as for the funicular that is in the hands of the Scottish Government.

interesting stuff there and I defer to your more recent knowledge.

I hope they make a go of it despite the criminal incompetence of their predecessors.

Quote:

..... lecht in that case for different but valid reasons. The latter is however sort of close to Shee so I wonder if it is worth visiting if you are already in the area and conditions look ok

Yep, go for it if you're about and it's open. I was merely speaking for myself in that its distance from Manchester and small size many that I've [almost] never been there. The only time was on a hoolie day where Cairngorm chairlifts and tows were shut.

I've found the queues at Nevis generally shorter than Glencoe, probably due to the extra distance.

Anyway loads of good info from others above.

Oh and the other key thing is visit winterHighland.com. Alan is a god and should be knighted. What he did for Scottish skiing all those years ago is amazing.
ski holidays
My main problem with Cairngorm is access to all the steeper off piste stuff was taken away with the Coire Ciste (assuming I have my names right) lifts getting removed.

The back corries at Nevis are superb, the main issue is they don’t seem to open the Braveheart lift there very often, so it’s a long circuit to get back up to do it.

Glenshee is a great area assuming they have the snow!
ski holidays
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148494

Scotland has 6 ski resorts.

* Glenshee = 40km of trails / 35 pistes / 22 lifts / best for beginners + intermediates.
* Cairngorm = 30km of trails / 35 pistes / 11 lifts / best for beginners + intermediates.
* Nevis Range = 20km of trails / 35 pistes / 12 lifts / best for intermediates + advanced + offpiste.
* Glencoe = 20km of trails / 20 pistes / 8 lifts / best for intermediates + advanced.
* The Lecht = 20km of trails / 18 pistes / 14 lifts / best for beginners + intermediates.
* Lowther Hills = 2km of trails / 3 pistes / 3 lifts / best for beginners + intermediates.

ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Mike Pow, what kind of prices are you finding? I had a price of £78.98 for 2 nights fully flexible/cancellable booking a week in advance at the travelodge.

£253 for 2 people for 4 nights
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
@Mike Pow, try the huts at Glencoe as well?? https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/accommodation/

£240 for the microlodge
£320 for the microlodge plus

Admittedly it's a drive each day but we've chosen this place

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/the-turret.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaFCIAQOYAQm4AQnIAQ_YAQHoAQH4AQuIAgGoAgO4Ao6Ir_MFwAIB&sid=3e3cfb3b7a64cc8177890357540c952b&all_sr_blocks=102614701_244087753_4_0_0&checkin=2020-03-17&checkout=2020-03-21&dest_id=-2597135&dest_type=city&group_adults=2&group_children=0&hapos=20&highlighted_blocks=102614701_244087753_4_0_0&hpos=20&no_rooms=1&sr_order=popularity&sr_pri_blocks=102614701_244087753_4_0_0__26900&srepoch=1584124745&srpvid=00f8832496b10078&ucfs=1&matching_block_id=102614701_244087753_4_0_0&ref_is_wl=1&srhp=1

£260 for the whole thing for 4 nights

Might have a mate joining us

And if the lifts don't spin due to wind then we'll explore this part of the world.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 14-03-20 18:54; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Thanks everyone, loads to go on there and excellent advice from you all. I think we need to remain flexible and open to the possibility of visiting a variety at a moment's notice. makes it harder to book accommodation but i guess that isn't all that hard these days anyway! At present it looks like the only time the weather will be any good on the West is Weds to Sun whereas the East looks ok Weds onwards with some minor blips. I know it can all change but that has got us thinking that we'll do a loop from West to East taking in Glencoe then on to Cairngorms, Lecht (maybe) and Shee after that. Nevis may be out just because Gondies just don't seem like a great idea right now and we can't exactly demand one to ourselves!
snow conditions
Eeek.

Need to check..... Don't plan to hire at resort. It could completely ruin your trip.

Buy kit or hire from somewhere el.....

Sod it. Buy kit

Someone asked me around thirty years ago whether buying skis made financial sense in Scotland. I looked at them like they were insane and explained that it was nothing to do with money, more a desire never again to spend hours stood in a queue or driving back to Fort Bill in search of hire equipment.

Buy
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Where are all the doommongers, on all the other threads the French are being criticised for not shutting the resorts. Given the size of the qs at Glenshee on a normal day surely the Scottish Government must intervene.......

Curious double standards on snowheads. Very Happy

Interesting that you single out Glenshee when the size of the q's have never been a problem lately on a 'normal day'. Bearing in mind I'm a season ticket holder, I think I'm there a bit more often than you are.

I would say, from experience, the only place you want to avoid when good weather and great snow line up is Glencoe. I was there yesterday and it was actually shocking how many people were on the mountain.

With regard to the Back Corries at Nevis Range, they haven't even fitted the chairs on the Braveheart lift yet so don't think it'll run this season. If you want laps of the backs this year, I'd take the touring skis/ splitboard to speed up the exit process back round to the lifts
ski holidays
@Backcountryboarder, That's fair, my memories of long qs are well in the past. But Given the hysterics of the why is France not closed to skiing thread I still find the reactions in this thread conflicting.

But then this thread pales into insignificance when compared to the 6 Nations fiasco yesterday
latest report
Quote:

Nevis may be out just because Gondies just don't seem like a great idea right now and we can't exactly demand one to ourselves!

Are there four of you?

The cabins there are pretty small (6 or 8 I think). And the ski slots are very very narrow. If your skis are anything slightly modern then it'll take bloody ages to get your skis slotted in, then your mate's, and no3 and finally number4. You may well find that once you have finally managed to get your poo-poo together and shuffle on board that the cabin has done its circuit of the entry zone and nobody else can get on any more.

It's a pretty antisocial thing to do...but if you have no scruples.

Also note that the gondola is only used for access to and from the pistes at the start and end of the day, you don't use it more than twice
snow report
Hello, sorry forgot to say we all have our own stuff which we will be taking so no need to worry about hiring. We're looking into the whole area now but given the weather is forecast to be nicer in the East and we cannot do everything we're tempted to aim for the cairngorms and may base there and decamp if terrible. We are very much up for some walking and sightseeing too so we're not resting everything on the ski situation. We know from past travelling and sightseeing that is better to do a smaller area really well than try and fit everything in a larger area and only go shallow.

Again, thanks for the tips everyone.
ski holidays
@klang180, gondolas at Nevis Range are 6 person cabins. You'll find getting a gondola to yourselves isn't normally a problem. Don't think my Brother and I have shared a gondola up or down for years, snowboards go in the gondola with you and wider skis too.

The snow in the West is excellent at the moment, I've seen some photos from over the back at Nevis from yesterday and the snow cover and depth looks the best in a good few years. If you don't like dropping cornices, best entries into Coire Dubh are roundabout the top of the Warren's T-Bar Yellow Belly/Winger Wall and Backtrack.
latest report
I guess things could.get busier now France has closed
latest report
https://www.valthorens.com/en/webcam/livecam-les-2-lacs
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, yeah, that's what I'm beginning to worry about too now that France has closed. It's all very well people wanting to ski in Scotland but is it going to mean that our Ski Centres are going to end up rammed with people?
snow conditions
@Backcountryboarder, @cameronphillips2000,
+1.
Though, to be fair, most of the people who live in Scotland or Northern England might well come up anyway. I think that a few more will come, yes: for the day or for a staycation holiday (if that is still even allowed). But that is (maybe) good for the overall future of the Scottish ski resorts and related tourism, isn't it? Maybe eventually they'll be able to afford some more modern and faster lifts Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy