Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Holiday cut short cos of Coronavirus

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all. New to snowHeads so this is the first post.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello. Welcome. Anymore detail, other than title?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome -- tell us more...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome. Very sorry that you have been deprived of skiing. Italy?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, post obviously hasn’t gone to plan.
We went to the Dolomites, Penia, Italy on Saturday with Neilson for a week staying in the Dolomites Inn Hotel.
Great skiing in an almost empty Dolomitisuperski until the lifties tell us they’re shutting the lifts on Monday night due to Coronavirus. Back at hotel the reps are starting to organise other stuff to do, maybe cross country or snow walks...
we’re happy to make the most of it, stay for the rest of the week, keep calm and carry on.
Tuesday whilst chucking breaky down our necks, we’re told that the we’re being sent home in an hour and a half and that Neilson are shutting the hotel.
Long story short, Back in the U.K. Neilson refuse to refund anything other than lift passes because “ it was out of their control” and direct us to our insurer. Our insurer says” Neilson should refund because they decided to repatriate and close up so not covered under curtailment. I know there are others in the same boat who were at the same hotel and it would be good to compare notes on how you are being treated.
Thanks for reading my whinge. Good to be on the forum.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Slippy5165, welcome to snowHeads and I wish it was in happier circumstances.

I guess this depends whether Inghams were compelled by local authorities to close their hotel.

If not, then I would think they owe you for the proportion of your holiday accommodation that you lost.

If Inghams had no choice, then it is probably an insurance claim. Either way it’s very unfortunate and likely to be messy getting refunds, given your trip was curtailed part way through.

My impression of Inghams, as a customer a few times, is quite positive. Hopefully the value they put on their reputation may help you. Good luck.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PeakyB, Neilsons……! Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm Neilson falling behind Crystal it seems who have been more free and easy with the refunds. Send them a pro rata "invoice" for the refund you think should be due and note that you'll be putting it into teh small claims court individually. See if the threat of having to defend against countless claims stimulates their conscience.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Slippy5165, sounds rough, Italian authorities advised tourists to return home as soon as possible, don't know what date though the Uk travel advice site was updated again today. Neilson would be following official advice in this case so looks likely an insurance thing but the devil, as always, will be in the detail. Advice versus instruction. (I don't know anything though)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is neilson not Inghams @PeakyB.

Timing wise it does sound like they made the decision after the “all but essential travel” message was published (late on Monday), I have an email record of this update from gov.uk should you need it. So it stacks up that this was in response to FCO advice and hence “not their responsibility”. So it is in the insurers territory.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neilson’s underwent a management buyout a year or so back. Took a hit last year with TC going under. I expect their summer operations are also exposed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We also stayed in the Dolomites inn, I have to say the Neilson staff and rep were fantastic, couldn’t have been easy for them. It must have cost a fortune yesterday to get everyone home. We’ve been in touch with our insurance but not yet had any news if they’ll pay out. I hope something like this doesn’t tip some companies over the edge.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry...getting my TOs mixed up.
Same principles apply I think, as outlined by @NickyJ above.

Not much experience of Neilson’s. They messed up the only package I booked with them but, having been assertive with them, did rectify their mistake quite quickly and satisfactorily.

Persistence, whether with TO or insurance company, essential.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Slippy5165, I am currently in process of claiming back my (no longer) upcoming holiday costs. I need written evidence that I can’t get refund of my flights and accommodation costs before I can claim them via the insurance. I am still waiting for that from where I bought my flights.

This is the message I have back from my request for a refund:

Quote:

We would like to inform you that we have received your request and we will get this check and shall revert as soon as the needful is done.

I am really not sure if they are saying the WILL be refunding or they will respond when they have actually looked into it?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello PeakyB.
Thanks for replying. The tour operator was Neilson who we have used a few times and have had a good experience with.
I don’t know if the local authorities compelled Neilson to act but it didn’t appear so.
I think it’s reasonable to be refunded for the lost portion of our holiday in the circumstances, am I wrong ?
I would be happy with a voucher for next season but we’ll see what happens and I’ll keep the post up to date.
On a more important note regarding self isolation...
It’s been confusing as to whether we do or don’t need to isolate but these appears to be the facts :-
If you left one of the ‘locked down’ Provinces on or before the 8th of March ( Lombardy, Veneto ect) then you should self isolate.
If you left one of the ‘ non locked down’ provinces on or before the 8th of March you don’t need to isolate unless you show symptoms.
If you left ITALY after the 8th of March regardless of where you stayed, you should self isolate.
The date of leaving your location is key as the Italian authorities moved from targeted lock down to country wide lock down on the 9th of March. Confused
Anyone read it differently ?
Having said that, we went by coach from Penia to Innsbruck after the border was supposedly shut and didn’t see anything by way of checks at the border or Innsbruck and Manchester airports.
snow report
Yes +1 about good Inghams experiences in the past hence feeling a need to correct Happy
snow report
@Slippy5165, yes my reading is you need to self isolate if returning after the 8th - which I thought you said you came back Tuesday which is 10th?
ski holidays
@NickyJ, are the people from whom you are claiming actually an English company, from the message you quoted it doesn't seem that they are fluent in English? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Also agree with Sealey on the Neilson resort staff. They were very good and did all they could.
latest report
Hi NickyJ. Yes we came back on Tuesday and are self isolating.
snow report
Hey Sealey, be nice to me or I won’t service your skis ever again and you can dig all the trench.
ski holidays
@Slippy5165, I’d be cautious about accepting a voucher towards a future trip with the same TO, given the current economic situation and the massive hit the travel sector is taking.
ski holidays
Hmmm, good point PeakyB
latest report
Slippy5165 wrote:
I would be happy with a voucher for next season but we’ll see what happens and I’ll keep the post up to date.

Having said that, we went by coach from Penia to Innsbruck after the border was supposedly shut and didn’t see anything by way of checks at the border or Innsbruck and Manchester airports.

I’d be very wary of a voucher, it won’t be worth anything if the company goes under as a result. If you have cold hard cash in your hand, you can still give it back to Neilson should they still be around.

As for the border, despite what they might have said, European countries are not generally in the business of keeping people *in*. The Austrians didn’t impose their checks until yesterday afternoon, so you must’ve snuck through before they got their act together. You were going home, so they would’ve let you through anyway.
snow report
I don’t want a voucher anymore.
ski holidays
On a more positive note, my skiing is coming on a treat.
I can keep up with that Sealey bloke(almost)
snow report
@Slippy5165, You need to have a good read of your insurance policy. Post up the relevant small print if you like and I'll have a look at it.

They are likely to be a better target for your claim as Neilsons will not have a lot of cash sloshing around at the moment....
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
@NickyJ, are the people from whom you are claiming actually an English company, from the message you quoted it doesn't seem that they are fluent in English? Madeye-Smiley

I suspect not. It is Optiontown (BA Flightpass). I suspect they have used google translate!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Slippy5165, send me a PM with your email address, if you need the evidence of when the gov.uk advice was updated to cover the whole of Italy.
ski holidays
Thanks red, Nicky. There’s some good people here.
I’ll read through the policy and pm you Nicky,
snow report
All in same boat here! I subscribed a while ago as I was getting worried our holiday might go up the spout. Sadly it has and hubby is really concerned about us getting stuck out wherever we go so we aren’t going to book anywhere else. Thankfully at least we got a week at half term. Still feel gutted.
ski holidays
Have had a (quick) read of Neilsons booking conditions ; It contains a clause " due to Unavoidable and Extraordinary Circumstances" which, I suspect they will use to get out of paying you any compensation.

https://www.neilson.co.uk/booking-conditions

Did you pay by Credit Card for the Holiday ?? -- Getting the Card company involved may help also...
ski holidays
Just as soon as I figure out how to send a PM
snow conditions
@Slippy5165, click on the plus next to my name, this pops a box which has a PM link
ski holidays
Hi albob. Paid with debit card.
snow report
Slippy5165 wrote:

always pay with a credit card claim against them snowHead
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:
Slippy5165 wrote:

always pay with a credit card claim against them snowHead

Not everywhere accepts them. Though must admit with tour operators despite being charged a fee (in the old days) I would always pay the deposit on CC and then remainder on debit to get the protection.

NB if you don’t pay by CC and you deal directly with suppliers do try and make sure you have end supplier failure just in case company dealing with goes belly up.
snow report
@Slippy5165, check "charge back" provisions re debit card. Not guaranteed, but might help.
See e.g. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/

Good luck any way - between card, insurance and company, hopefully eventually you'll get something back.
And at least you're safely back Smile
ski holidays
@NickyJ, the reply from the insurance company reads like English taught in India (e.g. “do the needful”) from my experience. Their reply says essentially they’ll look into it and get back to you.
ski holidays
ficklefisher wrote:
@NickyJ, the reply from the insurance company reads like English taught in India (e.g. “do the needful”) from my experience. Their reply says essentially they’ll look into it and get back to you.

No that isn’t my insurers - that is Optiontown who I bought the flights through!

I need them to either say they won’t refund or give me the money before I can complete my insurance claim.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy