Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lifting Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When I'm on steeper runs I lift my ski on the turn. How can I turn safely on a steeper run?!!

I think it a brain/attitude problem. Is there any help.

Cheers
Codie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Makes a change from skiing lifts I guess.

As I'm just about to set off to Val T I shall post with impunity and disappear wink

Assuming you mean that you lift the inside ski as you "turn" that is a classic sign of trying to "get out of the fall line" too quickly, i.e. not giving the inside ski a chance to move in an arc, possibly combined with a tendency to shift back on the skis as you hit the fall line.

Yes you're right, you are scared of the slope. Go to a less steep slope and learn how to stand on and steer both skis properly. Then take your new skill back to the steeps.

I'm off Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Codie, what you're describing probably needs a bit of observation by a good instructor. As Alan implies, there may be other factors at play here.

Sometimes it's necessary to simplify everything and brush up on the basic skills that are the building blocks of more advanced technique. My BASI trainer had us trainee ski instructors ski down whole mountainsides in steered snowplough turns to learn the carve and get the fundamentals correct.

If you've a bad habit it's probably a symptom of a basic fault in your technique that becomes more noticeable on the steeper slopes. Get a really good instructor to work on the nuts and bolts - it might take a week or two, but it'll be a great investment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Codie,

As long as the turn/edge hold is solid on the weighted ski then don't worry about it, it was good enough for Stenmark....

but if as others have suggested this is a resut of the weight being well back, this IS bad. Get your weight shifted forward correctly by tipping the pelvis up and if that sounds gibberish, see an instructor ASAP
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Abominable snowHead, Well said. It's all about basics. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When I saw the title I was expecting a thread by Tealeaf Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for the advise. I know I need to have some instruction re put into practise what I proably know. Undoutedly I'll ski fine with a professional who will give be confidence and hope I won't lose it again when skiing with my bullish husband!
Must admit that I tore some ligaments a few years ago up the moutain and had to be flown home so I think that's where my anxiety comes from and I fear falling over...but keep getting back in the saddle! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maggi, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Codie, if you did a pole-plant and then a jump turn on steep runs, you'd be lifting both skis, which is all good! Madeye-Smiley

If you asked a ski instructor they'd probably tell you to 'be patient' with your turn. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy