Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to book - Coronavirus

Poster: A snowHead
Booked for early Jan, broke my arm, cancelled.

I REALLY want to take my 10yo son skiing for the first time, preferably end of march.

Should I book next weekend, the following weekend, or a few days before?

Or forget it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it were me, I’d forget it.

There’s always next year. And the year after. And the year after.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with abc.
The situation is escalating daily.
France has now banned all events with more than 1000 people.
Reports from northern Italy are scary. UK could easily get similar.
Go next year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't book until a few days before, the situation is changing on a daily basis and no one can know what areas will be on or off limits in a weeks time,.
Edit I should have added if this year at all, I suspect the above two posts are realistic.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Coronavirus Threads are definitely spreading... wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Consider Scotland, great atm and don't need to spend any money booking anything in advance if the weather isn't looking great
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah I’d leave it for now. Wait and see what happens and maybe you could do a late season trip somewhere. Given how things have escalated in the last week, I’m starting to think my Val d’Isere holiday on March 21st might end up being cancelled ☹️
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go west. Canada, US?
Agree leave it late, could end up with some epic deals.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
James77 wrote:
Go west. Canada, US?

I thought US were preventing flights from Europe? Or am I mistaken there?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just checked my insurance. I'm with getcover.ie because they have great off-piste cover for someone like me who likes to play beside and between pistes - with their wintersports cover you have cover in resort up to avi warning 3.

But now I find that they type of cover needed for DFA/WHO mandated non-travel is their premium product (they have 3 levels, I'm on the middle one) PLUS a travel disruption option to be added.

In any case my itinerary isn't there yet, due to fly to Munich in a weeks time before driving hire car to hotel in Kaprun. Self booked and only cancellable is the car. As of now my sense is that perhaps Austria is no riskier than home, but a week is a long time in this game ...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am booked for an up coming holiday at les Deux Alpes. I chatted it over with a doctor I know. Her advice was that I should feel free to go - and she'd take my ticket if I didn't! Mrs a also wishes me to go. So planning to, but keeping a weather eye on government advice. I certainly wouldn't make a fresh booking for the Alps - and in your shoes, I too would look at Scotland.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Two days before you might like to travel for your holiday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:
I am booked for an up coming holiday at les Deux Alpes. I chatted it over with a doctor I know. Her advice was that I should feel free to go - and she'd take my ticket if I didn't! Mrs a also wishes me to go. So planning to, but keeping a weather eye on government advice.
I think that's the right approach, taking the final go/no go decision the day before you travel so you can take account of the most uptodate information. That's what I did for my trip last week, and it will be the approach I'll take in a couple of weeks time when I'm due to head back to Les Arcs. In the meantime there might be a government travel advisory which might take the decision out of my hands, but at least I'll then be in a position to re-coup some of the money spent on travel arrangements, or better still change those bookings to another date next season without penalty.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Two days before you might like to travel for your holiday.

This is what I am thinking now. Hopefully MAY have got my money back from the holiday we need to now cancel by then as well but could be being optimistic.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wanted to go 28/29th March, so I'll wait until 26th, see what the government advice is, and book then if I can.

Thanks for the input.
latest report
I've got a trip booked over the Easter weekend to Les Arcs, as others have said I think leave any decision as late as you can. If the resorts are open and the planes are grounded from the UK, I may chose to drive, depending on the outbreaks/severity in France
latest report
We have just had Livigno cancelled. We are flying into Innsbruck so cannot , at this stage cancel the flight as there are currently no restrictions into Austria so we stand to lose over a grand in flight costs unless we book another resort in Austria but risk the same thing occurring.......
latest report
@The Black Tusk,

Get to Innsbruck, hire a car and drive to wherever's open, I'm sure getting accommodation will be a doddle.
snow conditions
The reverse issue for us, as we don't know when to fly back to the UK as we really only need to be back for a couple of days, do we chance Turin (think that's an obvious no), then the other option is Lyon, but that's more of a hassle, along with Marseilles which is Heathrow and not LGW, and driving back not too sensible an option

And then if the whole travel scene escalates etc ???

And even once back in the UK I can't really chance going to see my Mother in her home again, anyway they probably will not let me in!

Think we'll sit tight here, and try and do what we can from here.

Have friends here for four weeks who live in Lanzarote and flew into Milan and they are now well in a mess as how to get back, I'll now be storing their gear in my garage!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Lyon is not a lot further from Serre Chevalier than Lyon, is it? Les Deux Alpes is an easy drive from you, and Lyon is my preferred airport for it.
latest report
@marodo2712, we’ve already found somewhere , it’s just the risk of the same thing happening. We have young kids from age 4 with us too which isn’t ideal if we get quarantined or delayed at the airport. I’m all for going for it but the sensible wives aren’t rolling eyes
latest report
@achilles, it's 1.40hr to Turin and Lyon from here can be 3hrs+ all depends on Grenoble which is gridlock most of the day, and then there's the little matter of the Lautaret, plus flights out of Lyon are stupid o'clock in the morning.

Most here try and avoid Lyon
snow report
I wouldn't book anything now. The situation is developing fast and is ever changing. The Dolomites have just annouced:

DOLOMITES SKI RESORTS TO CLOSE

Dolomiti Superski, in agreement with the major entities and in coordination with the political authorities, has decided to end the current ski season.

Here are the details from the ski area:

“This in consideration of the rapid spread of the coronavirus in the Italian territory and the potential risks of tourists, staff and local population in all the ski areas served by its lifts and in order to preserve first of all the health and tranquility of all.”

Resorts affected are Plan de Corones, Alta Badia, Val Gardena / Alpe di Siusi, Val di Fassa /Carezza, Arabba / Marmolada, 3 Cime Dolomiti, Val di Fiemme / Obereggen, San Martino di Castrozza Passo Rolle, Rio Pusteria - Bressanone, Alpe Lusia / San Pellegrino, Civetta.
The closure will take place by tomorrow, Tuesday, March 10, 2020, in order to allow an orderly return of the tourists currently hosted.

“We are extremely sorry to have to take this absolutely exceptional decision, but we believe that this step is of fundamental importance to stem as far as possible even in our territories with a very high tourist density, the rapid spread of the Corona virus,” said the ski area in a statement.

“We would like to thank all the skiers we have hosted in our ski areas during this season and we hope to welcome them back soon in the Dolomites."
ski holidays
marodo2712 wrote:
Booked for early Jan, broke my arm, cancelled.

I REALLY want to take my 10yo son skiing for the first time, preferably end of march.

Should I book next weekend, the following weekend, or a few days before?

Or forget it?

I'd imagine there will be a decent amount of choice as many people decide they don't fancy going anywhere until things have blown over.
Andorra or one of the Pyrenean resorts, or even Scandinavia would be good. You don't need a huge resort for a beginner and (so far) things regarding CV aren't escalating in those areas as far as ski resorts go, not yet anyway.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
James77 wrote:
Go west. Canada, US?

I thought US were preventing flights from Europe? Or am I mistaken there?

Currently the US is doing almost nothing re flights from Europe . . . The airlines however are cancelling flights or flying empty to keep slots.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@achilles, it's 1.40hr to Turin and Lyon from here can be 3hrs+ all depends on Grenoble which is gridlock most of the day, and then there's the little matter of the Lautaret, plus flights out of Lyon are stupid o'clock in the morning.

Most here try and avoid Lyon

Interesting. I have started avoiding weekends (I am travelling in and out on Tuesdays this year) and the BA flights from and to Heathrow work well for me. However, you have now highlighted Turin as an option - and I shall keep it in mind for the future. Thanks.
latest report
Specialman wrote:

I'd imagine there will be a decent amount of choice as many people decide they don't fancy going anywhere until things have blown over.

Yes, this. A few people have stated that they'd give it a miss this year to be safe, which potentially opens up an opportunity.

As others have stated, things are changing fast from day to day so who knows what the situation will be like in a few weeks time. You might that things have calmed down, and due to lots of people either cancelling or deciding to give it a miss this year, you could find a situation where there's bargain prices for great snow.

Or things will escalate. If you leave it last minute then you can make an informed decision.
snow report
We had interesting chat with the guy who runs our nearby ski shop, talking at a metre apart.
We checked that 15 was the number to phone if we got ill. He said don't bother: its overwhelmed. And don't bother going down to Bourg or Moutiers: they are also overwhelmed. The nearest place with any capacity was Albertville. The current advice is contact the local Medical Centre. When you attend they will give you a mask while you wait - presumably in a room full of other people who think they might have the virus.
You wouldn't know any of this from walking or skiing round the resort. All seems much as usual. True, there is no alcohol gel anywhere, but no sign of panic buying. People behaving quite normally. We've not been into La Mine, but piste restaurants as busy as usual.

We are being VERY careful. Obsessional handwashing. Touching nothing without gloves if all possible - hand rub with alcohol gel if we do. No handshakes or kissing. We are ready to leave at any time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have serre chevalier UCPA booked for the 21st, has anyone heard anything from action-outdoors?
ski holidays
France, Switzerland and Germany getting near the figures of Germany two weeks ago. The western Alps will be closed for skiing within a week. Austria may ride it out but I doubt it. It isn't a matter of if but when.
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
France, Switzerland and Germany getting near the figures of Germany two weeks ago. The western Alps will be closed for skiing within a week. Austria may ride it out but I doubt it. It isn't a matter of if but when.

Not according to this, Switzerland way behind

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
latest report
kitenski wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Not according to this, Switzerland way behind

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Switzarland has about a twelfth of the population of Germany.
It has about a third of The number of.infections of Getmany.......

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
snow report
James77 wrote:
Go west. Canada, US?

Why do you think the Americas will be any different?

It’s just a matter of timing.

It’s not so much the risk of catching the virus. It’s the risk of getting caught in the quarantine. How do you like to sit in a hotel for 14 days?
snow conditions
abc wrote:
James77 wrote:
Go west. Canada, US?

It’s not so much the risk of catching the virus. It’s the risk of getting caught in the quarantine. How do you like to sit in a hotel for 14 days?

I shall take a peek at my insurance to see if I am covered if I do. They might agree the cost as 'medical expenses' - or not.
latest report
With this years skiing in a bit chaos, especially Italy, thoughts must be turning to next season.
It’s struck me that it’s probably a bad idea to book anything too early for next year, not because the c19 will still be around but rather that some of the players in the industry might not.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
With this years skiing in a bit chaos, especially Italy, thoughts must be turning to next season.
It’s struck me that it’s probably a bad idea to book anything too early for next year, not because the c19 will still be around but rather that some of the players in the industry might not.

Was due to go to Alpe Dhuez in April half term, decided to kick that into touch.
Pre-Booked February half term with Erna Low, hopefully the world will be in a better place by then....
snow report
James77 wrote:
jbob wrote:

Was due to go to Alpe Dhuez in April half term, decided to kick that into touch.
Pre-Booked February half term with Erna Low, hopefully the world will be in a better place by then....

We have also booked our 20/21 ski holiday. Booked with Peak Retreats and paid £200 deposit. They are ABTA bonded as are many UK TOs.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
James77 wrote:
Go west. Canada, US?

Why 14 days? More like 14 days after the last identified infection within the hotel/resort. So after everybody who is going to get it has had it. A couple of months at least. This is why I'm currently planning to abandon my EOSB booking.
snow conditions
Junior's school has pulled the ski trip due out 28th March. Due to go to les contamines flying to Geneva. It was y5 and 6 and I think school has made the right call. France may well be closed by then anyway. We are being refunded.
ski holidays
James77 wrote:

I'm due to drive down to ADH in April half term, staying in Oz village. Still clinging to the hope that my trip will go ahead...however my optimism is reducing by the day!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy