Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GPS Applications

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok so I carried my Garmin Foretrex 201 around over the Easter Weekend in Cervinia. Now I want to do some analysis of the tracks and look at the obvious ski-ing related stats like: -

Vertical Distance Travelled (skiing / not lifts)
Horizontal Distance Travelled
Top Speed (2 second average)
% of overall horizontal distance covered in lifts as oppose to on the slopes etc

And other bits and bobs - anyone got any classic apps to manipulate this data? I've already played around with GPStoWin and GPS Action Replay, both of which are good but maybe I haven't yet found how to analyse my stats with them

cheers
g
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bertie bassett wrote:
% of overall horizontal distance covered in lifts as oppose to on the slopes etc

Could you please explain/elaborate on this point (as it has me slightly miffed). I'm guessing that you do downhill skiing, not cross-country, therefore it would be highly likely that you will ski down the same vertical distance as you ride up (unless you do much uphill skiing...).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiSimon

Apologies for the 'miffing', but whilst I take your point about the verticals, my %'ge figure was based on horizontal distance.

As a downhiller not x-country we covered 260km horizontally (according to the GPS) in total, and I was just wanting to figure out the total horizontal distance skiied, rather than rode in lifts. Our reckoning was that the ratio of overall horizontal distance travelled in lifts : overall horizontal distance travelled on the slopes is around 35 : 65. This is based on the fact that lifts go straight, whereas pistes wiggle around a bit, and that you turn you ski greater distance than strightline.

he rationale behind wanting this figure is so that on future trips I've got a rough approximation of skiied distance as a %'ge of the total being showed by the GPS, PRIOR to downloading and analysing the data back home. I want to try and verify this from the track data - I could probably do it by crunching the tracks in excel, but just wondered if there was an obvious ap I could use.

HTH
g
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, much clearer now. Thanks for clarifying. It's always something interesting to look at, the lift:piste ratio, the one problem that we had last week was that every now and then we'd spend the best part of half-an-hour either on, or making very short trips between, lifts. I don't think this would have been too much of a problem normally, but we had a strict 2 hour window to ski in (2hrs in the morning and 2hrs in the afternoon), so to reach the far end of the resort we had to take the most direct route - not allowing us to ski between lifts further apart (as we'd have to go up higher again = even longer out...) Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hi bertie. One thing I do is to load the tracks into MapSource (the program that comes with Garmin maps). Then, if you have Google Earth installed (its a hefty bit of software and you'll need a broadband connection to run it), there is an option in the latest Mapsource to "View in Google Earth". You can see your tracks superimposed on a satellite image of your destination, and if you have "Terrain" selected in GE you can get a skiers-eye view of the landscape. Its possible to replay the tracks too. Unfortunately, most of the Alps are still very low-resolution (Cervinia is, I just checked), so you don't get much detail. This may change as, for example, I have seen hi-res pictures of a resort in Andorra where you can make out the individual skiers on the piste.

I mainly keep tracks because I make GPS maps of ski resorts, but I did the lift % calculation once and it came out at 30% lifts, 70% skiing. It probably varies a lot according to your skiing technique/ability (e.g. I traverse a lot on steep slopes), and on the resort itself.

/WiRED
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Or you could buy a Navman A300, which i have, as it calculates km horizontally and vertically, current/max/average speed etc. etc. and you can also set it to not include uploading 'lift' time too.

Good price on eBay.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy