Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leg vents - inside or outside

Poster: A snowHead
I've just picked up a new pair of ski trousers (Trespass Alden II), and was surprised to find the vents are on the outside of the leg, not the inside.

Might sound pedantic, but I know what it's like to get too hot when skiing.... and I also know what it's like to get cold. Neither is nice. Altho it's been a while now and I didn't pay it too much attention, but thinking back I'm sure that it's the outside of my legs that are more exposed and feel the cold the most, whereas your inner legs are all snuggled in close together so get the hottest when you're working hard.

So it seems a bizarre decision to put vents on the outside. Yet these are the more expensive of their two trousers, by about double, and the cheaper ones (Alden) have the vent on the inside. And a quick glance round I notice there are quite a few expensive onces that have them on the outside.

It was a bit of a rush decision as the shop was closing and I was hoping not to have to make a special trip back there in the little time we have left before going, but I'll probably have these for the next several years so am considering changing them.

So, what does everyone reckon - vents on the inside or outside of the leg? Maybe I'm missing something and outside is actually better?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea what you are talking about, maybe a photo would help?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suspect that you're overthinking it. Can't see it making much difference.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tom Doc, +1
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are the vents zips or velcro? If they are velcro you may have inadvertently bought male stripper trousers. On the upside you will be very popular at the Apres bars, and make sure you take your fanciest base layers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All the vents on all of my trousers are on the lateral side. Don’t think it makes any difference but I would find it strange if they where on the medial side.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Richard They are velcro yes, it runs all the way round so they can completely split in two. And made of tight leather. Is pulse and cocktails not the best place for ski trousers then?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @Spoon, my last ones were on the medial side, I thought all were up until now, seemed the logical place to put it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My leg vents have always been on the outside, but I only tend to use them when skinning up and close them skiing down. Maybe it makes more sense for snowboarders to have them on the inside with the splayed leg stance?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been thinking a lot about this recently.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought ski trousers always had the vents on the outside of the leg, and snowboard trousers had them on the inside.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My insulated (Mammut) pants have the vents on the outside, my non-insulated very old Gore-Tex Salomon LAB pants have them on the inside. Not sure you can read anything into it regarding use, the LAB pants are not for snowboarding. I've had other insulated Salomon pants with them on the inside and some on the outside. Mammut's current non-insulated pants are on the inside though.

In terms of use, the outside is much easier to quickly undo when stepping into a warm gondola for instance so there might be some logic to putting them on the outside of a warmer pant. I also think an outside zip cools much quicker if you leave it open while skiing.

The downside is that I once destroyed an outside vent zip when a chairlift centre bar got stuck in it as it was lifted up (because the vent was open).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bodeswell, I'm very bothered about this too. Really playing on my mind. There are other aspects to it as well. My Peak P Heli trousers have mesh in the vents. My Patagonia ones do not. Very worrying. And then there is a very vexed question of whether it's right to open them partially or completely. There is an excellent research paper on this by Prof YKK Tabpull of Lofoten University. The internal-external temperature gradient seems to be increased by venting anxiety.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2, Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski pants always have them on the outside to stop the wind whistling through the skier’s mangina.

Snowboarders who generally have a large pair of cojones prefer inner leg vents.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Are the vents zips or velcro? If they are velcro you may have inadvertently bought male stripper trousers. On the upside you will be very popular at the Apres bars, and make sure you take your fanciest base layers.

Smile Smile
ski holidays
Bodeswell wrote:
I've been thinking a lot about this recently.

Not something I have given any thought to at all Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
It's not something I gave a right lot of thought to either till i went to buy some new trousers and went "hang on the vents are on the wrong side". And that got me wondering.

You have times/days up the mountain when it's so cold you can barely feel your legs, and there are times/days up the mountain when it's uncomfortably hot and you're sweating buckets; so ventilation seems important.

I don't fancy the idea of skiing around with a sweaty roasty nutsack all tucked away with nowhere for the exercise-heat to escape, while at the same time a numb outer thigh from a strong cold wind whipping across some badly placed ventilation. I don't know whether it makes much difference or not, i've only ever had the one pair of ski trousers so far! So thought I'd ask. Even if it only makes a minor difference to comfort, it's still worth considering.

Thanks Spoon, PowderAdict, Raceplate, and RobinS for the info Smile
snow report
When doing kickturns while touring, you get less snow in your ski pants if the vents are on the outside........
latest report
@beermatt, Until you have clamped yer sweaty thighs, exposed to the elements by inside vents, around a very sub-zero poma pole . . . only to have a peel of flesh dragged off (hence the nomenclature for the lift) . . . Will you understand the change of location for the vents. QED . . . You can Google the pictures Shocked
snow report
@Masque, ....hang on, that implies that in the deepest winter you wear outers without Longe de Johns - there’s no way I leave the shack without thermals on - which tend to wick away sweat in higher temps (vents open) and warm in low temps (vents closed).
ski holidays
On a related note I just picked up a very expensive pair of downhill ski pants and all the although the events are on the outside of my legs they have no mesh! I've never seen this before. Arc'teryx Sabre AR pants. Any thought to why there would be no mesh? Doesn't quite make sense to me Thank you
snow conditions
@philostow,
my planks have a full length zip on the outside.

can only guess so its easier to get them off to treat a broken leg, rather than cutting them Embarassed
latest report
Quote:

Any thought to why there would be no mesh?

Easier to get in to have a good scratch?
latest report
All my ski pants that have had vents have been on the outside
ski holidays
I have vents on the outside and the inside NehNeh
ski holidays
Mine are inside. No mesh
latest report
To my mind outside vents or full length zip offs (enable you to put on pants over boots) are a hangover from waterprrof overtrousers. Hence mesh is a relatively sophisticated addition but essential IMV to avoid getting a pant leg full of snow (cos I'm pushing bow waves and face shots in the white room not because I'm falling over wink )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unfortunately I have to go for vents on the outside and pants baggy at the knees as I'm so well endowed. wink
ski holidays
Mine have quite a short vent at the front just below the middle of the waistband. No mesh. At least that's what I think it is.
ski holidays
who gets hot enough skiing down to need vents?
latest report
philostow wrote:
On a related note I just picked up a very expensive pair of downhill ski pants and all the although the events are on the outside of my legs they have no mesh! I've never seen this before. Arc'teryx Sabre AR pants. Any thought to why there would be no mesh? ...
I guess they have a range of different pants and some have fewer features than others?
My own Arc'teryx pants have vents on the outside lined with very fine mesh.

under a new name wrote:
It's not that.
If you're out very late season then the more ventilation you can get the better.
Pit zips are more useful, but I want pant vents for that reason. I may use them at Hemel too, can't remember.

Inside/ outside? Like pocket placement, I reckon it's not that important and couldn't say which is best.
snow report
Quote:

It's not that.
If you're out very late season then the more ventilation you can get the better.

@philwig, I guess it's a purely personal thing. At no time of year do I need either leg vents or pit zips if I'm just skiing downhill - just not energetic enough, well, maybe if I'm looping a bumps field!

Even skinning a couple of weeks ago when it was about 20C in town I had no need for additional ventilation (mind you, I only had a wicking t shirt on on my upper half!).
snow conditions
@under a new name, I quite like vents when slushy bump surfing tbh! And obviously when going uphill too.
snow report
@clarky999, I guess I just don't find my legs get too hot. I do have a base layer for warm weather that seems to actively transfer heat away, sort of feels like I am rubbing alcohol on my legs. Quite effective, so far.
ski holidays
Each to their own of course. To me at least my "temperature" is more of an overall concept: after the pit zips have been opened the next thing is the pants zips. It's not about cooling some specific bit, it's about air-flow through the system.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Me, never worn anything but underwear under my ski pants, even at -15c unless it is snowing when I wear a pair of shorts to stop my arts getting cold when sat on snowy lift seats.
At warmer times I will ski down with all vents open and my jacket unzipped, much prefer cotton base layers that feel far more comfortable than so called performance base layers that totally fail to "wick" any sweat away from the skin.
Similarly I can't stand anything on my head on anything but the coldest snowy days.

At 185cm and 90kg, I'm a bit overweight but not obese.
snow report
I had ski pants with zips inside the legs and also ski pants with zips outside the legs. I think that these zips are meant for skinning up (that's why they have no mesh most of the times - the skier is not supposed to fall down while skinning and no mesh means slightly more ventilation). However, when skiing in warmer and spring days, it's great to have these vents as well, same as the pit zips (combined with a very breathable midlayer). After trying both options, I can say that, when skiing downhill at least, the ventilation is much noticeable when the vents are in the inside part. For skinning up I can't say, I've only done with one pair of pants and can't therefore compare with the others.
latest report
Though I don't wear special pants for skiing, sticking to my normal underwear I have had ski trousers with vents on both the otside and inside leg. To me the ones on the inside barely increase ventilation and the ones on the outside are the most effective. The ventilation effect can be so great that at times it feels I am skiing with no trousers on with the wind whistling around the nether region.
latest report
johnE wrote:
with the wind whistling around the nether region.

@johnE you did realise that you are supposed to wear pants and ski trousers, not just one or the other Puzzled Laughing Laughing snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy