Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it time for new boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So I've been skiing since 2016. I've done 7 weeks since then and a few days in the fridge at Hemel.
Due to having dodgy feet from years on rugby, when I had my very first lesson at Hemel way back in 2015 I lasted about 30 minutes in the rentals before having to take them off due to the agony. I knew I'd already caught the ski bug, so decided to buy custom boots whilst learning at Hemel ahead of my first trip in 2016.
When I spoke to the bootfitter (yes it was Snow and Rock, I know better now but I think I got lucky with the guy we had), I said that I want a boot that fits my feet without hurting but also will last me a few years as I learn and progress through beginner to intermediate.

I ended up with a pair of Atomic Hawx 100 with Atomic Silver liners. These have served me very well and are like slippers (or as close to that as ski boots can ever be!).

Fast forward to now, and I'd class myself as a stronger skier. I can take on pretty much anything the hill can throw at me and I'd say my style is more "aggressive" as in, I really like getting onto my edges, carving and working the boot/ski and getting forward.

I'm 6ft 1" and 104kg. Is it time to go up to a higher flex level and a stiffer boot? The guys I ski with, who have been doing it all their lives so are very good skiers themselves are all in 110+ flex boots. They are a similar size to me and ski in a similar style. This isn't a "I need to be like them" kinda thing, but just thinking whether a a new pair will allow me to develop further or am I reading too much into it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’d stick with them. It’s possible to stiffen them a bit with a power strap. When you start doing offpiste a slightly softer boot can help. Seven weeks is not a lot for a boot.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am 65kg and ski the Hawx in a 110. I am a more experienced skier....but still, I think you should be in a stiffer flex than 110 (let alone 100), due to your weight - at least 120.

Remember, the stiffness rating is not standard across brands.

A good Bootfitter should advise.

As to your main question:

- If the Boots were properly fitted, they will be be fine for a good while yet.

- If the Boots are too big, they are not ideal

- They are much too soft for your current ability, aggressiveness, weight and height

- If you can afford to change, then a stiffer, well fitting boot should help your progress...whether you should, is your decision to make and based on how seriously you take your skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would a power strap help more than the existing strap?

Arguably technically a bit soft but do you feel they aren’t supporting you adequately? If it ain’t broke ....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, your bang on there. I think both the power strap and extra riveting are more in the mind than real, I put an extra rivet in my hawk 110 to make them 120 but I’m not convinced. Also you’re correct that on paper 100 is a bit soft but in practice unless you’re bashing through a lot of rough stuff you won’t notice. Bottom line a new pair especially if your feet need a lot of adapting to can be a journey.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jbob, defo kinda my thinking
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all,

Thanks for the thoughts. I do feel like the boots give me enough support. I currently already tighten the strap against the lining, rather than over the shell. How does an aftermarket strap work?
I have just changed from Falke SK4 to SK2 socks which are a bit thinner. I didn't expect to see/feel the difference I have but it's been noticeable. This has meant I now have my boots on the maximum tightness the buckles allow (as in, I can't tighten the rotating buckles anymore).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The power strap might be worth a try as it’s quite cheap to do. Whenever i get new boots i need a visit or two to the fitter before they are right so I’m reluctant to change from a well fitting pair.
Being on maximum tightness on the clips sounds like an issue though. Sometimes the clip can be moved back and refitted in pre drilled holes to give extra adjustments, I’m not sure if it possible on those hawks. Also on my 110s it was possible to add an extra rivet to stiffen the boot which i did and it was straightforward, I suspect its possible on yours.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 7-03-20 22:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fridge03, stick with your boots and spend the money saved on skiing lessons.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went through a similar process, buying boots before my first trip. The question I'd be asking is what problem in your skiing do you think is due to too soft boots? For me I was aware of overpowering the boot, it just kinda folding forward and creasing. Again with my next boots I noticed when I started to overpower it and took stiffening measures (extra bolt + power strap).
If you've spotted issues with the boot then maybe worth replacing, but if you just think you *should be on a stiffer boot by now* maybe not. There are plenty of intermediate skiers in over stiff boots for that reason.
Regarding the socks, whilst thinner socks are better when buying boots switching to thinner socks later will tend to make the boots fit less well (especially as liners will pack out over time) meaning you may have to over tighten, but this is not the same thing as them not being stiff enough.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Some stuff to look at and think about.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have noticed some variation in flex in relation to temperature, whilst spring skiing my boots, which bizarrely are the same as yours, feel too soft. In midwinter they are fine. A boot fitter should be able to find the right flex for you by assessing how much you flex the boot, and whether you are over flexing your current boot. Bear in mind though that there are no standard flex measurements so 100 in one brand could be 120 in another.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Fridge03, if you are absolutely maxing out the clips, that probs means the boots are too big, hence also why so comfy ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Fridge03, if you are absolutely maxing out the clips, that probs means the boots are too big, hence also why so comfy ...

Yes. I am now starting to think this, especially more recently. I’ve only been maxing out the clips in the last few trips. I think that’s down to me progressing, the liner packing down more and also the change of socks to something slighter thinner. When I first had the boots, I had some play in them but now, they go on first thing, straight on the tightest they can go and stay like that all day.
If they are a touch too big, then that’s probably not helping me getting the most out of the boot down into the ski.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Bear in mind though that there are no standard flex measurements so 100 in one brand could be 120 in another.

Utter nonsense, they all use the same test, that doesn't mean they all feel the same at different temperatures. Volume, shape, colour, material will all effect the way a boot feels in a shop.
latest report
Already maxing out it might be too big. But the better I ski the less I seem to need to tight my buckles - I reduced massively from last season what I feel is the proper support. It probably harmed my progress back in time with the level of tightness I used to. That said, after 12 weeks with the boots, I also had issues with loose lift and if trying to compensate with more tightness caused me a lot of discomfort, to say the least. I visited a well recognised boot fitter in Chamonix and got some extra padding and lift heel. Job done. It’s currently nearly minimum tightness. Of course when you want a bit more precision/performance a go a bit more. Visit a boot fitter and review your boots, he/she should be able to clarify what’s the best to do
ski holidays
@Fridge03, I'd make an appointment with CEM @ https://www.solutions4feet.com/ (if you are anywhere near) and he will tell you honestly if your boots are ok or not! He told me mine were fine, despite me wanting a new pair and them being bought in Dec 2003!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Fridge03, I'd make an appointment with CEM @ https://www.solutions4feet.com/ (if you are anywhere near) and he will tell you honestly if your boots are ok or not! He told me mine were fine, despite me wanting a new pair and them being bought in Dec 2003!

Thanks. They are probably about a couple of hours away from us here. I do have a very good ski shop and boot fitter (Captains cabin in Sevenoaks) about 30 mins away as well so may see what they say first before the drive!
latest report
@Fridge03, sounds like a plan! I also concur if you are on full clips they are way too big!
snow conditions
@Fridge03,

I'm a very similar height and weight to you and have just gone from 100 flex Salomon XPros to 130 flex Salomon XPros . . .

I'd skied about 20 weeks in the 100 flex boots (not a lot in the scheme of things) and they were like yours - comfy slippers. However after a couple of seasons, like @Tubaski, I realised that I had been doubling them over very easily and effectively overpowering the boot, making them more tiring to ski effectively in. In addition I'd already added an additional racing shim put behind each cuff and a racing booster strap added in an attempt to stiffen them up. . . with not much tangible performance improvement IMHO.

After seeing a fantastic end of season deal (last season) I bought a pair of fetching blue XPro 130 (same shell / size / different liner) logic saying that this would be a like for like in terms of comfort (when compared with my previous boots) but with a more supportive flex. I removed the custom insoles from my last boots and they fitted perfectly but still took them to a well known local fitter who advised they thought they were too big and on this basis I would be better wearing them out of the box and breaking the liners in 'naturally'. I ignored this and did get the liners heated to give them a little head-start in terms of foot moulding etc.

Either way jump forward to a couple of weeks ago and a week in Saalbach on new stiffer boots. Day 1 no real issues - really heavy conditions and the boots were fine; the right boot feeling glove like but the left a bit niggly but nothing too stressy - not enough fast skiing to really appreciate the new flex. Day 2 was a different deal - conditions were tough (really deep and heavy slush) so couldn't really ascertain whether the increased flex was actually helping or hindering . . .in addition the the left foot was now in complete agony (even on the loosest settings all over) and feeling like all blood supplies were cut off . . .so much so that I had to curtail the day and visit a local boot-fitter to get them checked out. He checked the sizing and confirmed that they were fine (the shells themselves) but reheated both liners and the left boot shell as well as trimming both custom insoles where they had curled up a little on the sides. . . . . .Day 3 result - comfort returned!

I did ask the Saalbach fitter about the flex rating and he confirmed this specific Salomon boot is probably softer than a 'true' 130 and to be honest by the end of the week (with expected relative comfort returned) they didn't feel overtly stiff when compared with my previous flex boots. Conditions were heavy for most of the week and a lot of the skiing was in bumps / chop / slush so different to the norm and more difficult to judge against like for like. Once new snow had settled I did get some decent speed / carving runs in and did feel that both initiating & holding the carve was perhaps easier . . .however this could have been all in the mind! Suppose only time will tell (desperate to get out and test them on some harder piste conditions) but am not selling my old boots just yet . . perhaps I need a 2 boot quiver?!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy