Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question for Meidjo users with alpine heel

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, this site's had some great information but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for on current posts so I figured I'd ask. So, to set the stage I'm looking for a Frankentele solution and am curious if the alpine heel on the Meidjos will meet my needs. (I know I'll take a lot of heat for not committing to one or another, but let's get over that) From watching the alpine heel video on vimeo and reading that the din of the heel is about 1, I'm worried it won't hold up to regular alpine use. Also, I'm worried that it might feel too mushy really driving the boot when carving on groomers. Can anyone who has used the heel comment? Is there any way to firm up the tech heel to a slightly higher din setting? Would it be better to go with a Tele-tech system with a tech heel?(If anyone has any experience with this I'd also be very interested)

The Meidjo system looks really interesting because it's easy to swap on hill mid run(my favorite run I'd alpine the top, tele the bottom) and can be outfitted with brakes, which are two points I really want to make sure I hit when doing the Frankentele set up.

ALPINE MODE from The M Equipment
Vimeo alpine heel video
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The tech heel on the Meidjo is to avoid inadvertent lifting of the boot heel when you don't want to be in tele mode for which it does a great job. However the torsional stiffness/power transmission and the release values etc all come from the toe binding - and the binding is more than capable of high end carving on hardpack etc - which is why many of the WC tele racers are now using the Meidjo on their GS race skis. The weak link in the set-up for hard driving of the ski with your heel down is going to be your tele boot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to SH's. I looked at this as an option for my Meidjo setup but there is only one tele boot manufacturer that offers tech heel inserts, Crispi as per the video . I tried on a pair of their WC boots and the heel pocket was almost straight and I suffered very bad heel lift so I sent em back and went with a pair of Scarpas.

Given only one tele boot being sold is compatible with the meidjo alpine heel unit I decided to forget about the temporary heel unit as an option. Also very expensive imv..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
...only one tele boot being sold is compatible with the meidjo alpine heel unit...

Unless of course you go into über-geek mode Toofy Grin snowHead

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Meidjo heal unit is cheap, crude and vastly over priced and with no way to adjust the release values to suit the settings you use for the primary binding. Fit a Dynastar heel unit and be safe. Oh, and Crispi boots seem to have gone a bit oversize with their latest offerings Sad Going to try my old liners in my new boots to see if that makes a difference Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Meidjo heal unit is cheap, crude and vastly over priced and with no way to adjust the release values to suit the settings you use for the primary binding. Fit a Dynastar heel unit and be safe (with brakes). Oh, and Crispi boots seem to have gone a bit oversize with their latest offerings Sad Going to try my old liners in my new boots to see if that makes a difference Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or, altenatively... don't bother with an alpine heel at all. I've done some pretty steep descents on teles in Chamonix and La Grave, using old 75mm gear (Superloops - later Hammerheads), and alpined when I had too. I did at the time dream of an alpine heel, but that was not an option then. Now I have Outlaws I really don't feel the need. I have skied with my telemark boots in alpine bindings (for complicated reasons to tedious to relate here) --- ugh! Of course the Meidjo will give a much better performance, and have an element of safety. The other thing to note is that you are restricted to Crispis or pre 2016 Scarpa boots (if you can find a pair). My feet just don't get on with Crispis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Fit a Dynastar heel unit and be safe (with brakes).

Did you mean dynafit? One of the reasons I was looking at the Meidjo is that it can use brakes.

Quote:

Or, altenatively... don't bother with an alpine heel at all. I've done some pretty steep descents

Knew I was going to get some responses like this, but you're missing the point. I'd like to be able to ski alpine and tele. Frankly the argument that you can alpine as hood as anyone in your ntn or 75mm setup just dosen't hold water. If locking the heel down didn't provide a different experience, it wouldn't be the dominant option.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TreborRedins, try on a pair of crispi boots and if they work for you, you have some options. If they don't you may as well forget about trying to do both with one setup.. unless you are willing to do some major mods to your boots as per @geoffers !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TreborRedins,
Quote:

I'd like to be able to ski alpine and tele.

Indeed --- but (IMV) a tele boot even with a locked heel will not give you the same support as a full alpine setup -- it won't feel or perform nearly as well. Whatever you do I hope you enjoy it Very Happy

Quote:

Frankly the argument that you can alpine as hood as anyone in your ntn or 75mm setup just dosen't hold water.

I never suggested I can alpine as well on teles as alpines. Of course you can't --- but it is possible to alpine pretty well, good enough for steep descents when there isn't enough room for a tele, which is what I understood from you wanted from your post.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The old scarpa terminator x has tech inserts front and rear. Can still find a few here and there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Despite all the telemark forum warnings, I bought the latest version of this binding (now called InWild) this winter, thinking I would get away with the lack of robustness as I only weigh 60KG. Big mistake. I couldn't resist the concept, but the execution is terrible. The quality is shocking for the price. The brakes detached on day two. The alpine heel has never worked, despite lots of fiddling with the boot spacing (no spacer provided, unlike Dynafit). It either pops out or won't release when I try to unlatch it. I have Marker AT bindings on anothert ski which have always worked 100% with zero issues over many weeks. Terrible experience, and no response from the manufacturer when I asked for help.

Strongly recommend you don't make the same expensive mistake and steer away from this binding.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
freeheelcraig wrote:
.....The brakes detached on day two........

freeheelcraig wrote:
.....The alpine heel has never worked, despite lots of fiddling with the boot spacing.......

I don't sell the Meidjo bindings but I've mounted plenty of them with zero issues and with many of them being used by heavy/strong/aggressive skiers.

I've also had people bring mounted Meidjo bindings to me for evaluation that had both of your issues and in all cases they were incorrectly mounted/set-up etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@freeheelcraig, I have had the plastic ends on my brakes slide off mine, need to source some replacements and glue onto wire. I would personally only buy the latest version as previous ones all had major issues. Mine have worked fine for the occasional telemark session. The heel piece looks terrible though..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've only thought of the alpine heel unit, which I haven't got, as a short term/few alpine turns device when one really doesn't want to tumble. Eg jump turns in a couloir. I wouldn't use it to emulate alpine bindings capability.
Scott boots used to have the rear tech insert, but now the fitting hole is filled with black plastic. I had thought of just drilling 2 3mm holes for the heel unit prongs.

I've been using M2 and now M3 for several years/60+ weeks/no alpine gear. I bought my latest set of M3 to mount on Head World Cup Rebels E-SL with the TKS Meidjo plates in Feb, but leashes. Also have 2 sets on Elan Ripsticks with brakes.
Mounted all myself and all work just great.
snow conditions
colinstone wrote:
I've only thought of the alpine heel unit, which I haven't got, as a short term/few alpine turns device when one really doesn't want to tumble. Eg jump turns in a couloir......

Which is exactly its purpose.
snow conditions
Hi and welcome.

I think the answer to every question about a piece of gear is 'get some tuition and go to the gym more!' Which is easier said than done for telemarking. Unless you go to the AWSA camp and British Telemark Championships in Pralognan la Vanoise in early January.

I do actually mean that. The thing about telemark skiing is that you really need to commit and throw your alpine bindings and boots away.

You'll never go as fast, you will always stop more, but the feeling will be wonderful.

I can't see the point apart from 'no fall zones'. And then if you are telemarking, but think you need some DIN 1 heels, perhaps that is a massive mistake?- On reflection- that would be a massive mistake. You're either good enough, or not.
ski holidays
@ed123, Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
Absolutely exactly, get out to AWSA/BTC in Pralognan-la-Vanoise 6 Jan 2024 for 7-12 days.
snow report
@ed123, @colinstone,
Quote:

Absolutely exactly, get out to AWSA/BTC in Pralognan-la-Vanoise 6 Jan 2024 for 7-12 days.

...and/or come to Hintertux at the end of November for the Freeheeler Telemark Campus (if you have an instructor license or aspire to have one) or the Freeheeler European Opening which follows it. If flight times work out, you can (just !) manage the FEO (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) with only one or two days off work.

The Campus runs 26-30 November and the European Opening is 1-3 December. Campus will be focussed on Professionals on 26-28 and then open to any experienced Tele skies on 29/30.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy