Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carv digital ski coach thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
colinstone wrote:
I had Carv from fairly early on, and had to buy an iPhone SE to use it. Useful. But signal cables inside the thick black carrier snapped twice. One insole replaced under warranty but when the second one went, I skipped the lot. If they can put the bluetooth into the sole, say under the instep, so the the only connection is power, then it could be more reliable.

The pod that clips to the boots isn't just a Bluetooth transmitter - it also contains the rechargeable battery, a number of accelerometers and gyro things and no doubt a processor to manage it all. I can't see they how they could get all that into the thickness of a boot liner. Then again, 10 years ago I could never have envisaged what we can fit into an iPhone Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spotted this thread as I one who started it. And it’s a useful reminder to get my carves out of attic and pop them on charge. Probably best to put some charge in the batteries as they likely won’t be being used for another 12 months Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Handy Turnip, last Black Friday Carv had a 20% discount for 1 set; and 30% if you buy 2 sets. And the next Black Friday is November 26th 2021.

The current price is £349.00 GBP, so that would take it down to £279.20 GBP or £244.30 GBP each for 2 sets.

So hopefully they will repeat the offer next time. And if you were to buddy-up with another keen Snowhead, you could save 30%.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @Poogle, good shout.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, even though it won't work indoors at a fridge, I assume it'll still work at a dry slope as it's outdoors and will pick up GPS.

After missing a year of skiing, I'm tempted to do a summer of practice, and so maybe I'll throw in some dry slope sessions to give carv a go (if I decide to buy one that is!).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't see why not. I may do a bit on the dry slope this summer, I should really as my closest is only 4 miles away...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boarder2020, If you join the fb Carv Skiers Community there's a discussion mentioning some of the metrics they use. It's way beyond my paygrade and I understand pretty much none of it but it seems to be so much more than foot pressure.

Here's an example

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scamper wrote:
... It's way beyond my paygrade and I understand pretty much none of it but it seems to be so much more than foot pressure. ...
I think the sensors are mounted in the boot, so it's hard to see how they could measure anything outside that frame of reference.
So whilst they may produce more metrics, they are all limited to that frame of reference, which I think is the point being made.

Whatever, the basic proposition is to get people to buy stuff because they believe will help them learn quicker.
For that you want people to believe the narrative, not to understand it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:
I think the sensors are mounted in the boot, so it's hard to see how they could measure anything outside that frame of reference.
So whilst they may produce more metrics, they are all limited to that frame of reference, which I think is the point being made.

Whatever, the basic proposition is to get people to buy stuff because they believe will help them learn quicker.
For that you want people to believe the narrative, not to understand it.

There are 72 pressure sensors in the boot inserts, so they can measure where exactly the pressure is and more importantly, how it changes with time. Also, the boot attachment has an accelerometer, a magnetometer and a gyroscope so it's able to track boot angles and no doubt lots more metrics. Admittedly this is approaching the limit of my knowledge of how it works but I've used Carv since it came out and definitely seen improvement in my skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
WiRED wrote:
I've used Carv since it came out and definitely seen improvement in my skiing.

As imperfect as it was last season this was my experience too. It really did help my skiing improve.
Before Carv I was skiing with no real focus or the ability to fix things myself.

Value for money versus 3 hours of one to one with a human ski instructor Carv wins.
That doesn't mean that I'll never have another ski lesson.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scamper wrote:
That doesn't mean that I'll never have another ski lesson.

I'm with you on that
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy