Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CARV digital ski coach

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a quick scroll through all the menus and it's called

"Data packets per second".

It's full amount is 20 but my Nord2 would only work with Carv at 15.
Message them through the app and they'll help you.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scamper, Wow Scamper. To be honest I didnt expect a useful reply, I work in IT and understand how finnicky bluetooth can be! But this is very on point and useful. I'll contact them at CARV as well. Let you know how it goes! Not ready yet to replace phone.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just looking into CARV due to this thread. I hadn't realised you have to also pay for an annual "membership", at around £79 per year (current price). Can this not be used as a stand alone piece of kit??
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Roscoe, no
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Roscoe, a reasonable price if you would ordinarily pay for a lesson every season, and want to use these instead.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
swskier wrote:
@Roscoe, a reasonable price if you would ordinarily pay for a lesson every season, and want to use these instead.

I suppose that's subjective really. Most on here, and recreational skiers in general, wont have lessons on their annual week long trip to the mountain. If you're only skiing between 6-8 days a year, £10 a day might be considered an expensive continued cost once the kit has been purchased.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roscoe wrote:
swskier wrote:

I suppose that's subjective really. Most on here, and recreational skiers in general, wont have lessons on their annual week long trip to the mountain. If you're only skiing between 6-8 days a year, £10 a day might be considered an expensive continued cost once the kit has been purchased.

Well, I guess that's one that people would have to make on an individual basis. £10 a day to become a better skier doesn't seem a bad deal to me, but, not everyone that goes on a ski holiday is interested in improving. If you're not interested in improving, then buying carv probably won't be of interest to you anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Roscoe, there is a 6 day a year price option I belive...... personally I don't think it'd work well on an annual family holiday, my friend has Carv and spends half the day listening to the feedback at the end of the run/on a chairlift etc so not very sociable (but he wanted it to improve when skiing solo).

I'm also not convinced that Carv on it's own is a solution, I highly suspect you can ski badly and get decent Carv scores by focusing on one area and neglecting others when "chasing" a score.....something that an instructor looking at the overall picture would spot.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beester1976 wrote:
@Scamper, Wow Scamper. To be honest I didnt expect a useful reply, I work in IT and understand how finnicky bluetooth can be! But this is very on point and useful. I'll contact them at CARV as well. Let you know how it goes! Not ready yet to replace phone.

You are very welcome, happy to help and hope you get it resolved.
There's a blog on it here

https://getcarv.com/blog/android-data-transmission

As I said, I didn't consider my phone to be "low end" but still encountered the problem.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
@Roscoe, there is a 6 day a year price option I belive...... personally I don't think it'd work well on an annual family holiday, my friend has Carv and spends half the day listening to the feedback at the end of the run/on a chairlift etc so not very sociable (but he wanted it to improve when skiing solo).

I'm also not convinced that Carv on it's own is a solution, I highly suspect you can ski badly and get decent Carv scores by focusing on one area and neglecting others when "chasing" a score.....something that an instructor looking at the overall picture would spot.

All these points are my concerns with it. I'm into my gadgets but think this one is just a few too many steps beyond justification.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 8-01-24 14:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
I'm also not convinced that Carv on it's own is a solution, I highly suspect you can ski badly and get decent Carv scores by focusing on one area and neglecting others when "chasing" a score...
Like everything I guess, it depends on what you do with the information it provides. The gamification element (always chasing better scores) can be compelling, but what happens if you are chasing high scores by deepening your bad habits? To refer to a current thread in Bend zee Knees, it would be perfectly possible to improve your edging score with Carv by dumping your hip further and further, but from a technical point of view that's a dead end which ultimately will limit your performance. So despite better scores on the Carv scoreboard, you're actually making things worse. Use Carv with care would be my advice.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, Yes that is what I was trying to say Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, has anyone on here been disappointed with their Ski:IQ dropping after the Hintertux update earlier in the season?
I dropped 2 points, but stayed at the same level, Weathercam appears to have stayed at the same score and our friend Kevin got hit the worst, dropped 4 points and down a level to boot!
That said, with the update from a couple of days ago, they've added some new features: Active coach, where you are set targetted goals depending on your skiing style, giving XP points, and also, automatic terrain sensing, ie gradient of slope, on/off piste etc!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On a previous upgrade I was bumped up to 153 from around 148ish, can't quite remember the exact figure I was at previously.

This season I've only actually had 1 proper day on the inserts where conditions were good, and got to 146, then after an hour fainted Laughing so I can't give a fair feedback on it currently.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was that a reaction to a great score on your first day? Laughing
snow conditions
Would anyone be interested in me creating a Snowheads leaderboard?
snow conditions
@KenX, could have been Laughing

If you set up a leaderboard I'll join.
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:

Because I ski with others it's hard to do any of the training modes, but am hoping to try them when I hit the snowdome - although I notice most of the training modes need 20 turns in make it work properly. Has anyone tried using anything other than freeski mode in a snowdome?

I used Carv for the first time at Hemel Hempstead for two days this week.

As OP's have reported, some data is omitted due to lack of GPS. This is mainly ascent, descent and speed. I am less concerned with that information when using it indoors. For background, I have had some lessons and my instructor grades me as a "good intermediate" skier. Lately, we have been working improving my edging angle and early edging as both of those are weak points when I ski, especially when trying to carve throughout the entire turn.

I tested Carv in Free Ski mode (this was the first time I used it), and received a Ski IQ of 98. This is a little lower than I rated my skiing ability but when I dug into the metrics, my two weakest scores (edge angle and early edging) mirrored my instructors comments. I used a few of Carv's practice suggestions to help improve both numbers and by the end of the day my Ski IQ had improved to 111. Both of those key metrics had also improved, hence the uplift in my Ski IQ.

On my second day, I tried the Adaptive Coaching mode. In the first session, it continued to focus on Edge Angle. This resulted in another 5* increase in the edge angle from the day before. For the second session, I switched focus to Outside Ski Pressure as I know I am guilty of lazy skiing when at the Snow Centre. This metric also improved and by the end of the day my Ski IQ had increased to 114. Some of the improvement is undoubtedly down to the fact that I focus more when having a lesson or being monitored. That said, anything that gets me to perform better is welcomed!

After using the system for two sessions, my initial thoughts are:
- Carv makes you focus when practicing which made my practice more productive
- the instructional videos within the app are first class and offer some very easy to follow tips
- using it requires a lot of focus so tiredness, both mental and physical, comes in quickly. This is easy to spot as your metrics drop very fast
- taking regular breaks improved my training and helped me understand what the app was trying to teach me
- an indoor venue is probably too short to really benefit from all the functionality the system can offer and you might rush turns to fit them in

Overall, I was impressed with the system and felt it offered some very useful feedback even though some functionality was limited by the length of the piste.

One question that I didn't know the answer to was whether this system could replace an instructor. From my point of view, my ability and my learning process, the answer is no. I still require an instructor to pick on points that Carv doesn't or can't measure. However, the challenge I always faced with an instructor is applying what they had taught me when practicing on my own. Using Carv to work on the same things as an instructor suggests could be the right solution for me and I will try both for the next few months.
latest report
@swskier, If I set one up, do we want the score on the top right of the home screen, which is your best ever (10 turns or more), or the score for this year (10 turns or more)? I think the figure on the home screen is the easiest? What's yours and I'll start the ball rolling, anyone else can pm me or post on here........
latest report
I think best ever is probably the best option. Will PM you also....
snow report
Hope it's not just you and me then Laughing
snow conditions
@KenX, we'll be guaranteed a podium! Laughing

I'm sure you could drag @Weathercam in to this competition!
latest report
@KenX, May I crash your party, I’ve been using Carv for 2 years now, 2 weeks a year on real snow and fortnightly at Tamworth and have a current iq of 117, can I have my medal now please before the competition comes along! Eh oh!
snow report
Best score is 137 for me.
snow conditions
118 for me - hoping to improve but I'm getting on a bit and not so agile anymore.
ski holidays
Leaderboard created! PM me with your score, you'll find it top right on your CARV homepage

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5241465#5241465
ski holidays
Played around yesterday with Ski with an Olympian, got to level 23 before my legs got tired!!!
Also the new Active Coaching mode is good!
ski holidays
Sadly only 4th now in Serre Chevalier, 3 Italians came here on holiday a couple of weeks ago and kicked my ass......... Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One thing I would add is to incorporate some 3rd party feedback on your skiing, not just chase scores to the detriment of good technique, video from a friend or even a private lesson, combined with the CARV tips are a necessity to get the most out of your skking
snow report
Scamper wrote:
118 for me - hoping to improve but I'm getting on a bit and not so agile anymore.

If you like I can add age to the stats!!!!!!
May not be what you want to see though, at least 2 OAP's in the top 3 Laughing
snow report
Right, I'm going to have to have a CARV specific morning tomorrow to try and top @KenX Laughing out come the SLs!
snow report
Hope you've got better snow than here then! 11 degrees in the valley and scratchy up top.........
Not much chance right now for me to improve!
snow report
KenX wrote:
Sadly only 4th now in Serre Chevalier, 3 Italians came here on holiday a couple of weeks ago and kicked my ass......... Mad

154 is very impressive nonetheless!

Were their names Goggia, Paris and Tomba?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 27-01-24 15:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@JoyZipper, tvm!
ski holidays
@JoyZipper, Giancarlo, Marco and Lorenzo!!!
latest report
KenX wrote:
Scamper wrote:

If you like I can add age to the stats!!!!!!
May not be what you want to see though, at least 2 OAP's in the top 3 Laughing

I don't mind, I'm 60 and still play league field hockey (when I'm not away skiing) - not the worst player on the pitch even including the youngsters.
With skiing, I'm a late starter (and other than having good balance I don't think anything I've done previously has been of help, dodgy, arthritic ankles certainly isn't!) - too busy or impoverished to do it whilst I was young, and my joints don't bend the way I see the experts doing on the vids!

I think I'll be pretty happy being a parallel skidder with a pinch of carving when the conditions (nice snow, uncrowded slopes) allow.
Most of the time I'm just cruising and admiring the view with Carv in the background, I'll put in a training stint if I find a good slope.

Not too worried about my scores, just joining in really Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
@Scamper,
latest report
What's the thoughts on the active coaching mode? I used it yesterday while I had CARV on. Wasn't that fussed by it to be honest, it seems to just give you the same sort of feedback just more regularly? Rewards consistency I guess, but overall, just felt like a way of creating more of a game for skiers.
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
So, has anyone on here been disappointed with their Ski:IQ dropping after the Hintertux update earlier in the season?
I dropped 2 points, but stayed at the same level, Weathercam appears to have stayed at the same score and our friend Kevin got hit the worst, dropped 4 points and down a level to boot!
That said, with the update from a couple of days ago, they've added some new features: Active coach, where you are set targetted goals depending on your skiing style, giving XP points, and also, automatic terrain sensing, ie gradient of slope, on/off piste etc!

I wondered what had happened! I was sure my score was 147 and suddenly it was 144. Put it down to my worsening memory....
ski holidays
@swskier, it's a bit like the monitor mode, but you get XP points, whatever they are!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy