Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CARV digital ski coach

Poster: A snowHead
@Weathercam, difficult to tell from the angle, but maybe some more angulation too, looks from this angle like you're banking inside with the upper body. (possibly because you're aiming for that illustrious instagram inner hand drag Laughing )

Edit:

Also a good drill for getting that longer outside leg, I did some of this with a mate who is a really good skier (only got the L4 teach exam to complete). Travel in parallel straight down the fall line, and to start the turn, chuck your outside leg in to a massive snow plough, then match the inside ski to carve across the piste. Rinse and repeat on the next turn etc etc.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-03-23 10:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:

Basically, my right leg should be straighter, thus applying more pressure so as not to spin out, using an old windsurfing term Laughing

Looking at the picture I can see why you'd reach this conclusion, although I shudder at the use of "straighter" as a straight leg is not what you're trying to achieve/ More extended is perhaps a better term, but how?

What strikes me most from the picture is the angle of your hips. We can see there's quite a lot of twist between shoulder and pelvis, so although your shoulders are facing the direction of travel (good), your hips are much more open (not so good?). If you could imagine the picture as a posable Action Man figure, what would happen to the skis if you moved the hips to be more in line with the shoulders (i.e. moved the right hip more forward) ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, I also think there is wee bit of banking going on here. And agree a bit more retraction of inside leg and extension of outside would help. The hip alignment could be a bit better too, and will be helped by improving both those aspects.

One trick to think about working on is your head position. In this picture your head is leaning in, suggestive of too much banking. Maybe concentrate of keeping your head completely stable and perpendicular to the slope (i.e. eyes level with the slope). I think Big Picture skiing have a video on this. It can be a very powerful way of correcting the banking and also allowing the rest of your body to align properly. And is a fun thing to concentrate on as you can still enjoy your fast carving while doing so. It can sometimes make a big difference.

All that said, you are clearly getting into high performance turns. But in that annoying phase where every improvement is both smaller and harder to achieve!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is what I suspected would happen with Carv, when chasing scores.....your inner ski looks to more on edge than the outer, so weight probably incorrectly distributed, which will also explain why the outside ski might wash out and you look very "hunched" up in the upper body and not much lateral seperation....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, Not sure it's fair to reach such a conclusion of cause and effect. It would seem though that the Carv scores haven't necessarily identified all the problems, let alone resolved them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chaletbeauroc, yeah fair enough on cause and effect, you've phrased my concerns with an app based approach to skiing improvement better than me Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would recommend watching these two D.Armstrong videos, which I think go to the heart of things with a Level 3 Instructor. In the first Video, he talks about one of his faults being getting too "Squatty" - maybe as a result of trying to get the inside arm to the snow.

In the second Video, I really liked the idea of Turning in a Tuck - While not moving hips up and down, thus trusting the skis as they move away. It's also very easy to slightly "Dump" the inside hip, which puts you more on the heels, instead of driving the Inside knee. "Stroking" of the Ski is fine - but one has to be careful not have the weight remaining near the heels into the next turn.

It is amazing what a great Instructor can teach a good Instructor on a Greeny Blue Run.

I have posted a lot of Videos - but IMO these 2 are amongst the very best and directly relevant to what you are trying achieve.

http://youtube.com/v/znNH8Sam4mk

http://youtube.com/v/k2C3__ECsXA

FWIW. I was playing with these concepts when on holiday this year - sometimes I felt successfully; sometimes less so.

When it felt good: I remained flexed at transition (attempting no Up-Movement); I tried to Topple at the start, which morphed into more angulation; I pushed forward and across to pressure the tip and then let the skis ride through; I achieved edge angle by gradually shortening the Old Outside Ski; I allowed the Upper body and Old U/Hill arm to track round with the skis while facing towards the Outside of the turn.

When it didn't work: I wasn't flexed enough at Transition for really good early ski/snow contact; I overdid the Toppling, which turned into Banking and put too much weight on the inside ski; I overdid the "Stroking" of the ski, which left me on the tails of the ski at the start of the turn - as I didn't pull the skis back under me quickly enough; I had too much Hip and not enough U/Hill knee drive; I got too "Squatty" in an attempt to be lower.

When it all came together, I felt fully in control and comfortable at speed. When I got the timing wrong, I would back off the speed, as I didn't feel in total control due to poor Transition; weight a bit too far back and too much weight on the inside ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One of my son's best mates is head of marketing for Carve...you'll be pleased to know they read this thread and really like the feedback it provides
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp wrote:
One of my son's best mates is head of marketing for Carve...you'll be pleased to know they read this thread and really like the feedback it provides
They are paying for it, after all Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all for your input, I would not have expected anything else Laughing

zikomo wrote:
....All that said, you are clearly getting into high performance turns. But in that annoying phase where every improvement is both smaller and harder to achieve....

Yes, not too bad considering this time last year, I would never have put myself in that category of piste skier, plus I'm nigh on feckin 65 Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Guys, today is my first day trying out Carv. I typically ski indoor at Hamel Hampstead’s The Snow Centre, which is North of London. Give or take, In this ski doom, you or me will reach the bottom in 12 seconds (ie, 7-10 turns max). So I don’t need the GPS or speed record.

What I’m most interested is the Edge Angle and Edge Similarities monitors.

I have been looking for some answers…..

When I turned on the Edge Angle Monitor and it showed my best angle being 84 to 87 degrees. Is it kind of the best or max angles recorded on that particular run(s)?

Then I turned on Ski:IQ monitor and noticed that one of the runs which it rated the Best Ski:IQ of the day but it only recorded an Edge Angle of 53 degrees. Is that an average Edgr Angle of that particular run but not that max edge angle achieved? Just wonder what it means for me. There is so much data, but I need to find the right way to study them.

I also tested the Edge Similarity Monitor but noticed that it did not show up in the records afterwards, is it common?

Lastly, if one of my turns recorded a best 144 Ski:IQ, but the over score of that run resulted Ski:IQ of 131, presumably it is taking an average of scores out of that run? I wonder if the Ski:IQ would be hindered by the nature and or the constraint of an indoor ski doom (160 metre slopes)?

Very lastly, I used Racetiger SL 165cm today, so all the scores were based on this 165cm skis. If I selected Head Rebel eSLRD FIS 156cm in the app, will the app generate a different Ski:IQ?

Please let me know if there is a historical discussion elsewhere online I can refer to. Apologies in advance if I asked the question that has been asked by few million other Carv users beforehand. Eh oh!Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!Eh oh!Eh oh! Eh oh!Eh oh!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Leothelion, do you use Facebook? There's a carv group on there and I'd imagine all these questions have been asked/will be answered pretty quickly by the resident carv nerds Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Leothelion, I know there are a few folks on here with these things but doesn't Carv have a user group? you might get more answersvquicker?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Leothelion, if you don’t do enough turns before coming to a stop it won’t record a run, I think min is 7 turns.
High edge angle readings are likely just ski being deflected on bump. Not many people are capable of hitting 87 degrees in HH.

I scored higher IQ indoors because surface is more uniform and predictable, easier to ski and less distance travelled before stopping and I’m also using slalom skis indoors.

You can put whatever skis you want on your data recordings it won’t make a difference.

IMO there’s still a lot of work required on this product to actually make the data useful and reliable.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swskier wrote:
@Leothelion, do you use Facebook? There's a carv group on there and I'd imagine all these questions have been asked/will be answered pretty quickly by the resident carv nerds Laughing

Carv Skier’s community did not publish my post at all… Eh oh! my post has been sitting in their inbox for 2 days already…. Eh oh!
snow conditions
stephap wrote:
@Leothelion, if you don’t do enough turns before coming to a stop it won’t record a run, I think min is 7 turns.

High edge angle readings are likely just ski being deflected on bump. Not many people are capable of hitting 87 degrees in HH.

I scored higher IQ indoors because surface is more uniform and predictable, easier to ski and less distance travelled before stopping and I’m also using slalom skis indoors.

You can put whatever skis you want on your data recordings it won’t make a difference.

IMO there’s still a lot of work required on this product to actually make the data useful and reliable.

Thanks. This is the kind of conversation that I really wanted to have…..the Carv guys just not bothered to respond at all…. Strange

I was pushing the edge angle hard out on HH….i tend to ski at 8 am on Sundays when the slope is groomed. Data gathered seem consistent but will try for few more Sunday.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Leothelion, I know there are a few folks on here with these things but doesn't Carv have a user group? you might get more answersvquicker?

They are not bothered to even allow my query post to be published…. Eh oh! I gave up
latest report
@Leothelion, maybe you will find some of the ‘quirks’ of the algorithms soon enough…

have fun Laughing
snow report
@Leothelion, go to the London Ski Show and ask them in person.
snow conditions
ster wrote:
@Leothelion, go to the London Ski Show and ask them in person.

i am glad to have found you guys!!
ski holidays
stephap wrote:
@Leothelion, maybe you will find some of the ‘quirks’ of the algorithms soon enough…

have fun Laughing

i think i will.
i wear Head Raptor 140RS. Snugly fit. I had to take the insoles out of my liners half way through testing. With Carv inserts and insoles, my feet started to hurt after few runs. With only Carv inserts but no insoles, it got roomy .... no ideal. Need to find a make-shift way to make it work.
latest report
I have a Carv and reported on it in The Ski Podcast last winter here:
https://audioboom.com/posts/8261604-171-action-cameras-carv-review-the-most-sustainable-ski-trip-ever

Hoping to try it again this winter. Off-piste sounds interesting, will have to check that out
snow conditions
@Leothelion, looks like your post made it to Facebook eventually.
latest report
[quote="Leothelion"]
stephap wrote:

Carv needs a minimum of 10 turns to get your run on the global leaderboard, but will still record runs of less than this
snow report
Are you selling size E inserts, or want to buy some size F inserts??

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5195286#5195286
ski holidays
I have Carv but have lost one of the battery packs. They don't seeem to sell them on their website. Does anyone know where I could buy a replacement ?
ski holidays
You could try asking them via the livechat on their website.
snow report
All sorted now - their helpdesk was quick to reply by email.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The CARV app has an update which needs to be done, sadly my SKI:IQ dropped by 3 points Crying or Very sad
But after a few runs today, it went back up a point Very Happy
Go figure..........
snow report
Carv users and those interested might enjoy my chat with the founder, Jamie Grant, recorded about a month ago (and of course available wherever you download your podcasts

http://youtube.com/v/6dfiDakMda4
latest report
Thanks Iain,

I do like Carv (Founder member) - we're late starters (me - 42, him 50, when we started to learn to ski), first few years were package holidays and ski school. Then we bought a motorhome and are out in the Alps/Dolomites for a 2 or 3 months.

Skiing solo, which is the main way for both of us as we have dogs to look after, it's easy to just slide around. Carv has given us more focus and enabled us to progress our skiing.
It's been interesting to experience and be a part of it's evolution - it just gets better and better!

Looking forward to this year's trip - should be on the slopes in about 10 days snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Scamper wrote:

Skiing solo, which is the main way for both of us as we have dogs to look after, it's easy to just slide around. Carv has given us more focus and enabled us to progress our skiing.

Very similar here, I'll do most of my skiing by myself this season. It's nice to add some focus to the day.

I ended up buying my mates size E inserts, as my size F no longer fit and am back on it again.

I topped his best score within an hour and I'm just pushing to get the last couple of points for the next bracket/badge.

Interestingly and a positive review of the devices, one thing I've been working on and still need to improve is to get more aft in my longs, feeling the heel more towards the mid and end of the turn, and one of the areas carv picked up is that I'm not centred in the middle of the turn. This will be as I'm too far forward.

So an endorsement for the feedback it can provide you. snowHead
latest report
Here's an article I published at the end of last season, the pointers worked for me, YMMV.........

https://www.stylealtitude.com/how-to-improve-carving-skiing.html
snow conditions
Best run so far this season is 150, one thing I've discovered is that at mere mortal level, one needs great snow to achieve higher scores, we've had some great snow, but I've been busy scoring pow turns rather than carving trenches!!!
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Best run so far this season is 150, one thing I've discovered is that at mere mortal level, one needs great snow to achieve higher scores, we've had some great snow, but I've been busy scoring pow turns rather than carving trenches!!!

Congrats! Yes, as someone posted on the fb Carv community - so much easier with perfect snow, perfect pistes and a clear run - bit like all those training videos they post snowHead
snow conditions
My bro and sis-in-law have just bought them, and are off to use them for the first time next week in Japan. It will be interesting what they have to say, as they are ( allegedly) from half of the target market, middle aged skiers who wish to improve technique.
snow conditions
@thecramps, it would be a good idea to watch as many of the CARV videos as poss, then watch each other once using the system on the snow and bounce feedback off one another
latest report
thecramps wrote:
...My bro and sis-in-law have just bought them, and are off to use them for the first time next week in Japan..

Interesting, would not normally equate Carv and going to Japan in the same sentence Laughing

Maybe they've bought them to deliberately entice the Snow Gods to deliver ten tons of JapPow everyday?
ski holidays
Small question, I seem to have these intermittant bluetooth issues with one of my carv devices (always the left one, I marked them). It disconnects and then reconnects a couple of seconds later, giving a very annoying warning message about disconnected carv device.

Tried updating phone, locking the app, pairing (multiple times per day), making sure the device is more on the front/side of the booth instead of in the back, changing position of the phone from front left knee pocket (I wear bibs) to left and right jacket pocket, making sure no other bluetooth devices are connected (only headset), etc, etc, etc. Some days it seems good, others it's a nightmare and I've got reconnect issues 10 times per day. Carv is saying it's the phone, but my phone is on the compatible list (android S34).

Anybody has had similar issues and maybe pointers? I tried posting on the CARV FB page but they blocked/didn't allow my message.
snow conditions
Yes, I had this all last year.
If it's the same issue it's to do with the way your phone deals with sending data via Bluetooth.
The bods at Carv can alter (or change the permissions on your Carv app to let you do it) the rate.
Lowering it sends less data and allows your phone to cope.

It's annoying and I've ended up changing my phone ready for this year.

I had a Nord2 which isn't a low end phone but it just wouldn't play.
My old Nord (lower spec...) was fine???
Anyway, now have a Pixel 7.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy