Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting (back) into Dryslope Racing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - new on here

I’m 25, based in London and wanted to get into Dryslope ski racing (if it’s not too late for me). For a bit of context, I used to practice through gates weekly with my uni Snowsports club and competed in uni comps (BUDS, BUISC, Kings) over 4 years. But since moving back to London I’ve not been for around 2 years now.

In terms of my level, I did my BASI 2 some years ago so have a decent foundation, but when I did compete at uni I was well off the racers who had been part of a club since they were small etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions in terms of where might be good for me to get back into it all? At uni I did enjoy the more casual atmosphere - giving me a chance to improve but not necessarily have all the pressure of serious comps (although I did like competing).

My closest slope would be Sandown but after a cursory glance at the website it looks quite serious in terms of trials etc - is there somewhere I can go just to practice through some gates, get myself better over time, and maybe have a shot at a race in the future?

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@fallLine54, It seems a good idea to want to get back into the sport. 25 is certainly not too late to come back and have a good time. I didn't start dry slope racing until my mid 50's and still enjoy it 14 years later. Sadly I know almost nothing about the south of england so cannot reccomend a club to you. Is Aldershot near you? They seem to have a thriving race set up for adults.

May I suggest Snowsport England as a start https://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/region/lsersa/.

Good luck
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fallLine54, Welcome.

If Sandown is your nearest, then Brentwood may be a bit of a struggle, but we have a thriving race club at all levels.

We have a Monday night "technique" session which is run by one of the club instructors, but is focused on skiing drills, not gates. This is a mix of adults and kids.

We have Saturday afternoons/early evening (approx 5-7pm) which is mainly kids but a few adults (mainly parents) and is more gates-focused.

There's also a Thursday evening session for the more experienced racers. Again mainly kids because they're better than most of the adults.

Finally, there's an annual 4-day trip to Landgraaf for intensive work on snow, nearly all gates-based, culminating in the club's "snow race" (our only one, unless it snows a lot in Essex!). This is a reasonable balance of adults and kids and very good for overall improvement - the "before" and "after" videos always make impressive viewing.

We run "club races" once a month which are very low key, really just a chance for people to get used to a more formal environment and do timed runs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fallLine54, We have a small (ish) club at Bowles Outdoor Centre. Training is on Friday evenings from 5:30 -- which may be difficult for you? Open to all ages, relaxed atmosphere etc. Bowles is just north of Crowborough.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, thanks very much for the useful SSE link and inspiration Smile

@snowdave and @ski - both those sound fantastic but I think might be a struggle to get to - I’ll think I’ll give Sandown/Aldershot a ring / look in as a start!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy