Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Noobie--buying first board

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

New to snowboarding but looking to buy my first board. Considering it's a beginner bored, I am looking for a budget until I figure out my style.

I've done my research and decided I would want an all mountain, medium to slightly softer flex board to start with.

I am 5'2, about 126 pounds so looking for a shorter board

I've gone digging through used ads and here are the options I'm struggling with

Used once $275 for both
K2 Luna 146cm
K2 cinch Tryst Snowboard Bindings Medium

New store buy
K2 Lockheart Boots size 6 99$

Total build with tax
387$

**versus***

Elan 45 board 146cm (new but quick sale off personal online add) $175 <-- lady says the board is worth 700$ but don't know if that's true. She is selling for a medical reason and can't snowboard anymore

New store buy
K2 Lockheart Boots size 6 99$
K2 Agogo Snowboard Bindings Small 99$
Total build with tax
$398

I think most would say the no brainer is k2 Luna. Good and trusted name at a steal of a deal. Only worry if my size 6 boots will work the medium bindings. Then I might have to purchase new ones which would be putting me past the budget I want to spend

With the elan board:

Only thing is... I can't seem to find too much on elan as a manufacturer. I know they have previously manufactured other well known names (nitro, rome) so I'm wondering if the quality of board is good? I have no information on it's flex, but from the picture it looks like an all mountain because it's a directional twin. I think it could potentially be a good board but not sure.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46336#1107605

https://amp.reddit.com/r/snowboarding/comments/mc0cm/elan_snowboards/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elan_Snowboards

Any insight from the experienced to a snowbaby?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oops - didn't realise you was female.

Buy boots first.

If your head strong on getting a board, then take a look at the Rossignol lineup. Gala, Myth & Frenemy.
Frenemy will last you the longest for progression, however the gala is really good for learning. Myth like the gala but more freestyle.

Maybe try to find somewhere that has a tryout day & you can try multiple boards.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 21-02-19 7:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depending on where you ski and how many days it may work out better to rent to begin with. The trouble with beginners buying boards is that you tend to buy something you will grow out of relatively quick. Also as you say it takes a while to work out your style and interests. It may be that you want something more specific to those things than a general all mountain board.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Honestly, buy boots first (not too soft and not too stiff), hire a board for the first week then depending on how you get on, buy for the 2nd week or hire again. You don't want to buy a soft flex board to learn on as it will only last you while you learn to turn then you'll want a medium flex board.
Same goes for bindings.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having said all that...this guy is flogging off stuff cheap, not sure if any of it is suitable though?
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142034#3367167
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You do not necessarily need to buy a big brand.
I have had lots of boards (Nitro, Burton, Niedecker, Rossignol, Atomic, Flow, Ride), but the best purchase was probably 2 PaleSport beginner boards I bought in 1999 (20 years ago).
After my wife and I finished with them, we passed them onto friends and family, and now they are used by neighbours chalet, and they are still going strong.
PaleSport have moved their manufacturing to Asia now ( as have other brands, Salomon has closed its big factory on the edge of Annecy and moved its production too).

Some outlets still have a few old stock (2015-2016 Austrian made ) PaleSport boards kicking around, which they will sell of for buttons.
For example ....
https://www.theshortskishop.com/palesport-miracle-145cm-snowboard-rrp-24999-now-9999-99-p.asp its unused and in original film too, and they have other boards available.
The guy who runs it ( Rick) is really nice, super helpful and is always happy to cut you a deal if you ask him nicely.

Over the last few years I have bought 3 Endeavor boards (Canadian) the latest one even has the Burton channel system so my Missions just went straight on their from by old Burton board. I got these from various internet shops, and have been really impressed with their performance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gixxerniknik wrote:
Honestly, buy boots first (not too soft and not too stiff), hire a board for the first week then depending on how you get on, buy for the 2nd week or hire again. You don't want to buy a soft flex board to learn on as it will only last you while you learn to turn then you'll want a medium flex board.
Same goes for bindings.

I'd tend to go down this route, but it's worth saying you can't just pick boots off the internet. Everyones feet are different shapes and sizes, and snowboard boots come in different shapes (wider narrower etc) and different sizes too. I went up half a size from my shoe size in my current boots (Salomon F22s) and down a full size when i tried Burtons. Boots need to fit you, so get to the shop and try some on!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't agree more with the boot statements. Make sure you have proper fitting boots. Can't stress that enough.

Have a look at the Yes Emoticon. It's a fabulous board for a beginner and you can progress with it. It is pretty much the smaller version of the Yes Basic which is just a great all round board. Super easy to learn on and really fun to ride once you get better. It's also a great price and you might be able to get it for a bargain in the sales.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My wife and I picked up our first boards this year, it being only our 3rd season. She is riding a Salomon Wonder. We have only been able to get 1 hour per week at our local indoor slope since November and are yet to hit the mountain, but she has made so much progress in this time even compared to previous seasons. Having her own board and bindings has been a game changer for her, and I am now conscious of the fact it will be me holding everyone up!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I have had lots of boards (Nitro, Burton, Niedecker, Rossignol, Atomic, Flow, Ride), but the best purchase was probably 2 PaleSport beginner boards I bought in 1999 (20 years ago).

I rode an Original Sin for 20 years before I swapped it out this season for a new board.

I was astounded at the difference but thinking logically I shouldn't have been. Take your eye of technology for 20 years and of course the change will be immense.

New boards tend to be better in so many ways: new flex and camber configurations mean they are easier to ride, new materials means they are lighter.

I would recommend to anyone that they choose a more modern board, no more than 3 or 4 years old.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As someone who rented boots and boards for the first 5 or so annual trips, consider this another MASSIVE vote for concentrating on boots first and trying them on in person.

Rental boots ALWAYS seemed to be Burton and I found them to be wide all the way through. Didn't suit my feet at all.

Spent a lot of time in a shop trying on other brands (found Salomons were narrow throughout, also not right) but Adidas were narrow in heal / ankle and wide in fore-foot and just right for me.

I then bought a board and bindings off ebay after getting fed up with renting, but it's a slippery slope because I'm already looking at getting another that's suitable for very specific conditions and have just spent two days hiring completely different boards.

I'd commit to boots if anything and leave the board until you're past the beginner stage at least. In my humble opinion anyway.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was told the importance level for good performance is boots then bindings then board by a snowboard shop tech in Bourg, saying its how you get good feel and feedback. She knew her stuff.

I measured my own feet properly once home and used the mondo system rather than my UK foot size. Some brands of boot need to be a half size bigger but I went for a pair of Nidecker Aero BOA by mail order from absolute snow in my recommended size, knowing I could return if the fit was way out. I had foot arch pain at first until I put my sidas custom footbeds in, now the boots are awesome with good snug yet comfortable and supportive fit and no heel lift or pinch points....... Compared to my ski boots they are like carpet slippers.

I got new Nidecker team bindings and a 2019 K2 Broadcast board in the end of season deals, which are both more intermediate than novice, but I am returning to boarding after many years rather than starting afresh so I hope to progress rapidly and want to buy once, not outgrow my kit in a season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is probably too much fussing about gear.

My kids started (particularly the eldest) boarding 3/4 years after they started skiing (so 7/8 years old). I have just bought boots and boards second hand, based on very little research. The eldest (just turned 14) is on his third set of boots and board. He can board pretty much the whole mountain now. He's never complained or questioned the kit. We try the boots before each season to see if he needs a bigger size that's all. Same with the his younger sibling pretty much.

Now he may be that I am just very ignorant as I don't board so don't flame me. And no doubt adults are much more tuned in and/or have more specific needs. But as I said maybe sometimes it's made more complicated than it needs to be?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
maybe sometimes it's made more complicated than it needs to be?

Snowboard boots only come in size of length. So we cant get the same boot in a size 9 in different widths like skiers.
It makes finding the right boot difficult.
Your 14yr old is still growing & developing, so may not yet have developed feet issues!
I wore trainers rather than shoes for much of my youth & because of that, my feet are wide.
Length is nearer is a size 8, but width a size 9. I cant get wide 8 (Asian fit are supposed to be wider, but not easily available in the UK).
I also have large calf muscles due to playing sports. I could get around that by wearing female boots - as they have bigger cuffs at the top of the boot. So maybe Asian Female boots!)
Finally I have high arches. So custom footbeds.

There is no locked in position like the bend the knees ski position & you need to use both heel & toe pressure, so a good fit is just not for comfort.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
There is probably too much fussing about gear.

My kids started (particularly the eldest) boarding 3/4 years after they started skiing (so 7/8 years old). I have just bought boots and boards second hand, based on very little research. The eldest (just turned 14) is on his third set of boots and board. He can board pretty much the whole mountain now. He's never complained or questioned the kit. We try the boots before each season to see if he needs a bigger size that's all. Same with the his younger sibling pretty much.

Now he may be that I am just very ignorant as I don't board so don't flame me. And no doubt adults are much more tuned in and/or have more specific needs. But as I said maybe sometimes it's made more complicated than it needs to be?

Basically snowboard boots if they don't fit properly you will get heel lift and your feet will move inside the boot and you will end up with sore toes.

Best way to work out your snowboard boot side is to kick your heel back up against the wall and then draw a line on the floor by your longest toe. Measure that and use it to get your mondo size. Use this when buying snowboard boots. Don't go by your regular shoe size.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
Layne wrote:
maybe sometimes it's made more complicated than it needs to be?

Snowboard boots only come in size of length. So we cant get the same boot in a size 9 in different widths like skiers.
It makes finding the right boot difficult.
Your 14yr old is still growing & developing, so may not yet have developed feet issues!
I wore trainers rather than shoes for much of my youth & because of that, my feet are wide.
Length is nearer is a size 8, but width a size 9. I cant get wide 8 (Asian fit are supposed to be wider, but not easily available in the UK).
I also have large calf muscles due to playing sports. I could get around that by wearing female boots - as they have bigger cuffs at the top of the boot. So maybe Asian Female boots!)
Finally I have high arches. So custom footbeds.

There is no locked in position like the bend the knees ski position & you need to use both heel & toe pressure, so a good fit is just not for comfort.

Female snowboard boots would be too low for you. They aren't generally wider at the top they are just shorter. Also women's boots are softer than mens boots.

If you are looking for a wider snowboard boot have a look at Burton Rulers wide, Salomon Synapse wide and Salomon Dialogue wide. DC is a brand that is known to have wider boots. Use the info above to measure your feet and also measure the width of your foot by kicking the inner side of your foot against the wall and measuring the widest part of your foot as well as the length. Those two measurements will give you your mondo size as well as knowing what width your boot should be.
ski holidays
@snoway.,

I wear stepon's. im locked into the few offerings from Burton.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
@snoway.,

I wear stepon's. im locked into the few offerings from Burton.

The step on boots tend to be a bit more snug because of the anchor points on the side. They also don't seem to come in wider sizes as of yet. I think I saw somewhere that DC is going to make boots for the step ons. Have a look into that as DC's seem to be good boots for wider feet. But measure your feet and use the chart to make sure your boots are a good fit for you as most people wear badly fitting boots.
latest report
Defo stay away from the cinch binding! normal straps are the best although apparently the new Burton step-in works ok.

Probably go for a shorter board as well... this online tool recons you should be on a 141cm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy