Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seeing less and less Snowboarders slope side these days.

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

personal observation. Much more skiers "cocooned" on sledges being evacuated from the hill, when my GF broke her wrist in Les Arcs, pretty much everyone in clinic were in hard boots, in hospital in BSM the same,

Of course there would be more skiers than boarders. My surveys of webcams or from lifts indicate between 10 to 20 skiers per boarder in Les Arcs - so of course they will have more accidents. Did you notice any monoskiers or even telemark skiers being bloodwagoned off? If not then according to your argument they must be safer than skiing or boarding.

Quote:

Started boarding early/mid 90's

I'm impressed @hang11, I thought I was a lte starter to skiing only starting in my 30s
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just another observation. Last year I went skiing in Japan and noticed that there were a lot lot more snowboarders about than we see in Europe and much younger.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE, the snow they have really sorts super wide skis , I went with fairly wide Chams but I kept hitting the frozen base I needed much wider boys . I don’t board but I would expect boards to work the same as wide ski’s. Also the Aussie influence .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:

.............. Anyone aged over 40yo on a board looks ridiculous (like a child's skateboard).

I take umbrage at that comment, especially since I didn't start until I was 52! Anyway, how can you even tell?
But it doesn't really matter when there's no-one around to see how "ridiculous" you look:

http://youtube.com/v/-8NaS1pHXhI

FWIW even over the 10 years I've been riding I've noticed a decline in the number of board riders.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BoardieK, I see rome blur, how is it? I see ddge hold is good, rolls edge to edge easy, stable at speed?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The edge hold is perfect for me as I'm not a power rider. It's got a softer flex than my Nitro Blacklight camber which I learnt on but which, after 6 years, I was still fighting a bit too much. The grip is excellent in these conditions and firmer, the previous day was a fair bit softer and I have a tendency to often push that tight nose contact point in a bit deep. It's also a few mm narrower than the Blacklight and softer torsionally which really helps with going edge to edge. I max out at just over 50mph on both boards but the Blur feels more relaxed, at 1min 45 I'm getting close to that speed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Completely anecdotal from my rather small sample size... I would agree that overall less people are snowboarding now. Although there does seem to be some regional differences - most Aussies I meet tend to snowboard (perhaps something to do with surfing link?).

I tell friends looking to start skiing/snowboarding unless you have a preference for snowboarding, it's better to go with skis. No faffing with buckles, no issues getting stuck on flat spots, generally more practical, better on ice, less falling as a beginner. Skis are also more convenient for touring and fat rocketed skis have taken away the old benefit of snowboards being better in powder.

The current trends in snowsports seem to be touring and freeride. Touring is no doubt more practical on skis. For kids watching freeride world tour mens ski is more impressive than mens snowboard in terms of lines and tricks. Women's ski is lightyears ahead of women's snowboarding.

I guess the question is why care? I have never really had the desire to ski. I enjoy snowboarding and will continue to do so regardless of how many others do.

Btw there is nothing wrong with a middle aged snowboarder. A middle aged person using a selfie stick on the other hand... snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you want practicality - get a toyota minivan. Riding is fun, skiing is a way to get around the mountain, like a metro, can't deny it's effective, but effective and fun rarely goes together.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I guess the question is why care? I have never really had the desire to ski. I enjoy snowboarding and will continue to do so regardless of how many others do.

Indeed, but the numbers do have some effect on the design of resorts. For example to encourage snowboarders you may want more telecabines and less drag lifts. You may also want to smash all bumps off the piste.
Quote:

The current trends in snowsports seem to be touring and freeride.

This may be true is the press and forums, such as this, but I don't think on the ground it is really that great. People may dream of off piste powder skiing, or indeed belt headlong down a near vertical cliff face like in the films shown in bars, but in reality spend their time pottering along blue pistes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

but effective and fun rarely goes together.

Skiing is different, but I wouldn't say less fun.

Quote:

less drag lifts

Any semi decent snowboarder should be able to work out how to use a drag lift pretty easily. It's a non issue.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think this is a very Euro-centric viewpoint. In North America I think it is much more common and shows no sign of abating but in Europe it never took off quite as much and to my mind has never been more than say 10% of those on the mountain anyway. I will be looking around from now on to see if you're right.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Much higher % of boarders in Nz than Europe as well
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I won't let me kids try a board until they're proficient skiers.

Why?

Not being difficult, genuinely curious.

There is no better way to contribute to any real or imagined decline in snowboarding than to teach your kids to ski first.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
why not snowboard first, so they be easier on skis? Laughing Laughing Laughing or afraid so much kids won't ever touch skis after riding sideways?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This very much depends on the resort and what it's known for. New Zealand, Japan and Canada all had a much higher proportion of snowboarders than Europe. If a resort has a good park or good powder there will be more snowboarders.
latest report
St Anton last week had a fair representation of snowboarders. Less than my last trip there 10 years ago, but not the massive minority you see elsewhere.
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

I won't let me kids try a board until they're proficient skiers.

Why?

Not being difficult, genuinely curious.

There is no better way to contribute to any real or imagined decline in snowboarding than to teach your kids to ski first.

Our kids skied first and boarded after. For us it came down to going with the flow and not fighting the system.
First time on snow in Village des Enfants / Piou Piou, it's set up for kids walking around on skis, as the progression is from flat to very gentle slope.
They're not set up to handle 2.5 year olds on snowboards.
There is also lots of ski equipment available for small children, but we struggled to find snowboard stuff for tots.
So here in Avoriaz, the ski schools generally didn't teach snowboarding to kids under 10.

I am sure you could buck this by getting private tuition, and finding tiny kit etc, but one of the big elements of Village Enfants ski / Ski school is the social element and the interaction with other children, and not being molly coddled 1 on 1 type way that they get from parents or Private lessons.
To each one's own, but by and large most locals put their kids along this trajectory. Some stick with skiing, some start boarding and don't go back, some continue with both.
snow report
For small ones, you can get the Riglets kit which has a cable and reel with a little handle on it you bolt to the nose of the board so you can tow Jnr around. But like you say, for the 2-6 age group, options to take a group lesson are often limited unless they already have some kind of experience. Youngest did his beginners lessons at VT on the family bash last year and was youngest in the group by some margin, same this year doing stage 2 - next youngest was 12, he is 8.

snow report
@Richard_Sideways, your youngest is a dude!
snow report
Taught mine from age 2. Used to be a real pain getting gear for them, used to have to hit eBay in USA and import it although easily sold on. Loads of kit around these days though.

Ski school told me it wasn’t possible for kids to ride a board until 7 or 8 due to muscle development which was BS. By the age of 7 both my kids were very competent riders. I see kids much younger than that (with parents coaching) who are real good. Great to see. I think one of the things that pushed my kids was that most of their mates were on skis, so they had to learn to keep up very quickly.
latest report
its was about the time salomon released the 1080 skis the change started to happen. When i started out in the mid 90's i was the strange young un wanting to ski every other young un wanted to board,
snow report
After being to ~15 different resorts, i can say the number of snowboarders really depends on which resort you go to. There are more boarders where there are younger people in general at the resort. There are more skiers where resort is for older crowd. Also, resorts that have long gentle slopes are not favoured among boarders, logically.

It's is also cultural thing - what is more popular in your age and cultural group. I'm from Ukraine and most of the people that I know 35 and younger are snowboarders (i'm mostly skier, so it's not just the personal preference). Families/kids mostly try on skies even when they are first time in the mountains, when young unmarried adults prefer snowboard.
snow conditions
Quote:
its was about the time salomon released the 1080 skis the change started to happen.

Bloody loved the pocket rocket and the 1080, the first skis I rode that were fun like snowboarding.
I reckon you'll see an upturn over the next few years, nothing like the 90's / 00's where EXTREME! sports were everywhere, but as kids get old enough to take lessons, and want to copy their parents, it'll swing around.
As others have said - kids kit is *so* good these days (well, all kit is good tbh) it makes learning so much easier.
My boys both cant wait till they are old enough to have lessons at SnoZone - they are adamant they want to board liek their dad.
I'll take that as a win, despite the odd troll -
Quote:
.............. Anyone aged over 40yo on a board looks ridiculous (like a child's skateboard).
No, we just look like a snowboarder. If you can tell my age from my stance / clothes / goggles / kit / board / style then I'll happily buy you a Mutzig.
ski holidays
plenty were boarding in Whistler in December
snow conditions
@Dougy Giro, are you a Toy Dolls reference?
snow conditions
rogg wrote:
@Dougy Giro, are you a Toy Dolls reference?

It was a better option than Carol Dodds
latest report
BoardieK wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

I take umbrage at that comment, especially since I didn't start until I was 52! Anyway, how can you even tell?
But it doesn't really matter when there's no-one around to see how "ridiculous" you look:

http://youtube.com/v/-8NaS1pHXhI

FWIW even over the 10 years I've been riding I've noticed a decline in the number of board riders.

Age or choice of sliding equipment never makes me think anyone looks ridiculous. Vanity cams attached to poles however....
snow report
Agree with people saying Europe might be more skiing centric but Japan, NZ, Australia and Canada have large numbers of boarders due to large amounts of powder (Japan and Canada) and awesome parks (NZ and Australia). I ski but my wife boards. I probably would have boarded but when I was 21 K2 Public enemies came out and they stopped me turning to the dark side as they were super playful, great in powder and looked awesome.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swiftoid, It's a training aid Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Brighton, Ut back in 2015 when I visited was almost all boarders. It was awesome having a mountain to ourselves so I decided to start a petition for a skier free mountain in Utah... unfortunately nothing happened Sad
snow conditions
Gainz wrote:
Brighton, Ut back in 2015 when I visited was almost all boarders. It was awesome having a mountain to ourselves so I decided to start a petition for a skier free mountain in Utah... unfortunately nothing happened Sad

why would you want to ban all skiers from your favorite resort? Who would you spray then?
snow conditions
Only old people argue about skiing vs boarding
snow conditions
Skis evolved, boards didn't. To be fair, I,'m not sure how they could.
As soon as we got fat skis with backward pointing tips, the kids could ride the powder and do all tricks in the air that the boarders good without all the unclipping.
Boarding was always better in the powder but with off piste being illegal without a guide in some countires, less powder days in most
resort and a warmer, more unstable snowpack, boarding just isn't as attractive as it was.

You've also got the remember that young pee have little money these days. The boomers ran off with it all.
ibiza on the slopes resorts are a dying breed.

Grunge rock is past its prime and the average 17 year old is far.more likely to spend their time and money on GTA or Nintendo Winter Sports than get off their backside.

All of this means snowboards will be explained to people on the Antiques Road Show in 50 years time.

Apparently the youth of the day aren't too keen on alcohol, beer and sex either....

Seems the snowflakes are less likely to be own the slopes in more ways than one in 2020
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/AVSjsYHX6eM
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Skis evolved, boards didn't. To be fair, I,'m not sure how they could.

Snowboards have evolved a huge amount and continue to do so. The variety in types and the different tech they employ is truly astounding.
latest report
Can’t see the problem with less boarders. Doesn’t change my enjoyment of it.

But I reckon the decline happened because of all the freestyle focus years ago in the media. A lot of the fun side of it disappeared into points scoring spins and jumps in a competitive format. Most people can’t relate to it. Same with surfing competitions.

Nothing wrong with being old either. It’s a privilege not everybody gets to enjoy.
snow conditions
We learned to snowboard about 10 years ago, mid 40's age, we could already ski. We had bought a place so knew we could leave kit there, we look out the snow is good we board, its bad we ski.
I've done a lot of sports and learning to board nearly killed us, its brutal and I think its an age thing as we have 3 kids and they picked it up in 10 minutes and have all said they will never ski again, they love to board.

I've no idea of numbers but a good holiday for us is when the skis still have dust on at the end of the week. However we can ski all day but we do find boarding exhausting and rarely manage more than 3-4 hours.
snow report
Quite a lot of older people I know who can ski are also learning to board - less issue with dodgy knees I believe ?
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Quite a lot of older people I know who can ski are also learning to board - less issue with dodgy knees I believe ?

Yes but falling is far worse. There are at times I am on my board flying along and genuinely thinking if I catch an edge I am in the spinal ward but in saying that I still far prefer, so long as conditions are good, to board.

Lifts and putting board on/off is also tiring
snow report
I’m 50, ride 3 or 4 days a week during the season. Don’t suffer too bad for it, but always wonder when the big one will happen that puts me out of action.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy