Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chest infections etc in ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
You are getting older, so you will get more chest infections as the body breaks down.

If you're in a foreign country, with foreign bacteria / viruses, not familiar to your domestic immune system, you will pickup illness more readily.

A visit to a low-to-middle-income country typically presents a 40-80% chance of travel-related illness.

If you sit near to a person with flu on an airplane to a rich country, you have an ~80% chance of catching it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

You are getting older, so you will get more chest infections as the body breaks down

Laughing Well, we are nearer to death each day, for sure, and can rely on @Whitegold to remind us of our mortality. I am old and my body is breaking down, without a doubt, but I don't get chest infections. Yet.......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks whitegold I hear what you’re saying
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think it is often the 'new' bugs as well that cause it + as you are skiing and on holiday means you tend to keep doing more than you would at home and not rest, so might make it worse? I have been told you are OK to run if it is a head cold but anything lower then you have to rest to not force it down further. Also a bit like when you move to a new country, you have not been exposed to those bugs so you get more things. I find I get more chest issues in in hot humid /polluted climates places, and subsequently I loathe aircon. That said, the Alps does get hot spots in the summer, my OH got bacterial pneumonia and full septic shock and ended up in ICU and then the chest ward in Sallanches for a month one summer. Seems there were a lot of similar cases that summer, very fit 40s-50s (often men) who had been exercising a lot and were all in hospital within 12hrs of symptoms.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheesie168 wrote:
Think it is often the 'new' bugs as well that cause it + as you are skiing and on holiday means you tend to keep doing more than you would at home and not rest, so might make it worse? I have been told you are OK to run if it is a head cold but anything lower then you have to rest to not force it down further. Also a bit like when you move to a new country, you have not been exposed to those bugs so you get more things. I find I get more chest issues in in hot humid /polluted climates places, and subsequently I loathe aircon. That said, the Alps does get hot spots in the summer, my OH got bacterial pneumonia and full septic shock and ended up in ICU and then the chest ward in Sallanches for a month one summer. Seems there were a lot of similar cases that summer, very fit 40s-50s (often men) who had been exercising a lot and were all in hospital within 12hrs of symptoms.

Good grief how awful!! That’s a very specific demographic. Glad/I assume he’s ok now. It’s interesting how you and others are affected by heat with your problems and the cold with mine and that’s one of the reasons I started the thread. Interesting. Thanks all.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Up until a couple of days ago I had a dry cough which had lasted about two months. I eventually went to my GP who was pretty certain that it was whooping cough. A subsequent blood test came up negative however I had some of the classic symptoms including some unpleasant coughing spasms in the night, so she may have been correct.

I had whooping cough as a kid and was unaware that you can get it as an adult, but now I know differently. I did some volunteer night shift work for a homeless charity over Christmas and spent a lot of time in the dormitories where over a hundred people were sleeping. That was not necessarily the source but given the incubation timescale it seems most likely.

The GP said that whooping cough is an infection that is making a comeback for various reasons. It is not usually as bad in adults and lots of cases also go undetected. Unfortunately it is also known as the 100 day cough as it can hang around for ages, so if anyone had a cough going on a long time you might wish to get checked out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@richjp, That’s interesting info, I had something like that last winter, and just thought it would pass, if anything strikes again I’ll go to GP. Thanks for the heads up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@richjp, very interesting as our GP used the phrase 100 days cough for a number of people I know last year.
@bambionskiis, yes he is OK now. Took a long time, and a number of other bouts of pneumonia in the following year. But he did a marathon for his 50th, then the London Marathon and an ultra, so well now. But as he is also asthmatic COVID-19 is a worry.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Funnily enough that thought went through my mind when I had a persistent and debilitating (and for me very unusual) cough for weeks after I recently recovered from flu.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow I did not know that rich. I hadn’t had it but my husband has. I’ll definately bear it in mind. Well done for the charity work. Really pleased to hear that cheesie
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle I don’t know if that was why NHS were concerned and insisted on the self isolation and testing, it was a really horrible cough that just sounded wierd. Added to just returning from Turin and skiing. That certainly didn’t take any chances with us. Mine has pretty much gone though fortunately.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bambionskiis, have you had your results?

Glad you are feeling better.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Aw thanks Nicky. Sorry, I updated only the Coronavirus thread and not this one. We had a phone call Sunday night giving the all-clear. That wasn’t a week I’d like to repeat but we are healthy and we had a great ski holiday - both of which I’m extremely grateful for. I feel so sorry for everyone caught up in this awful situation. In the meantime, I’m just enjoying my freedom from captivity
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bambionskiis wrote:
Aw thanks Nicky. Sorry, I updated only the Coronavirus thread and not this one. We had a phone call Sunday night giving the all-clear. That wasn’t a week I’d like to repeat but we are healthy and we had a great ski holiday - both of which I’m extremely grateful for. I feel so sorry for everyone caught up in this awful situation. In the meantime, I’m just enjoying my freedom from captivity

Great news. I have been trying to follow it but it is quite long Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It’s all about rehydration.
Altitude squeezes all the moisture out of the system and quite a surprising amount of water needs to be drunk
To keep the body hydrated. Especially with alcohol in the mix.....
snow conditions
It’s all about rehydration.
Altitude squeezes all the moisture out of the system and quite a surprising amount of water needs to be drunk
To keep the body hydrated. Especially with alcohol in the mix.....
snow conditions
So frustrating Jwh as I didn't go anywhere without a water bottle and that was filled as soon as empty. I also used saline nasal sprays. That along with all the disinfecting of hands and surfaces makes it even more so. Perhaps I would have been worse had I not done so I guess.
ski holidays
bambionskiis wrote:
So frustrating Jwh as I didn't go anywhere without a water bottle and that was filled as soon as empty. I also used saline nasal sprays. That along with all the disinfecting of hands and surfaces makes it even more so. Perhaps I would have been worse had I not done so I guess.
None of that's going to protect you from someone sneezing more or less in your face and, by the sound of it, that's what happened to you in a gondola, and to me a couple of months ago in a crowded underground carriage.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 4-03-20 21:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
our 5yr old has asthma and 3 out of the last 4 trips he has got a really bad cough in the ski resort. last time we were in a group of 11 and 9 out of the 11 got very ill dropping like flies all week. they had every symptom imaginable and we had doctors all week. the trip home was torture for all who were ill. total disaster to be honest. me and 1 of the lads drank our way thru the week and hit the snapps every night to keep it at bay and I honestly think it worked. REALLY! I do.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy