Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA - Boots in hand luggage

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been informed by the TO that as of this year BA do not allow ski boots to be carried in hand luggage...

I'm flying from Gatwick and presumably security etc is run by the airport not the airline?

Presumably this is actually just to stop people taking oversize/overweight hand luggage through?

If they are in a rucksack style hand luggage then presumably I will have no problem?

Any first hand experiences here from Gatwick this year?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TJ1, can the TO give you evidence of this? Have you asked BA directly? Short of them asking to look in your bag they have no way of knowing if you have boots or not
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot-bag can be carried as cabin baggage if it fits into our hand-baggage gauge. If it doesn't fit, it must be checked in, so make sure you know your baggage allowance.

Straight from the BA website
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TJ1, if the TO can give you chapter and verse, many people on here will be interested. (I'm about to fly with BA, with my boots in hand luggage as usual. I'm not expecting any problem.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you put them in a compliant wheely case (with your socks and base layers packed in and around them) then you are fine. a pukka ski-boot bag is an odd shape that probably doesn't fit the defined size, despite the fact that they will fit under the seat in front space.

My mate was allowed on with his as his second piece of carry on last week on BA (out) and Easy jet (back).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've flown with BA twice this year - both times I had ski-boots in my carry-on bag, and didn't have any problems. The bag is soft leather and fits BA's size limits. The boots lie side by side and I pack soft things around them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TJ1, I flew back BA from Innsbruck in January with my boots over my shoulder in an obvious branded boot bag.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've booked with a TO and the flights are with BA. I've paid for 'ski carriage' but the TO website states that only covers skis. I find that bizarre especially when you're paying extra. I'll be turning up with boots in their bag and my skis separate. Ready for an argument if needs be...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@blacksheep, you'll be fine as long as the bag your boots are in fits the BA requirements.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Must be nice to have boots that small! If yours fit in a carry-on-fine. Mine go in the ski bag along with a prayer.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should be no issues at all.

Have always taken my boots in my usual carry-on wheelie bag. Never had an eyebrow raised. Just pay attention to any weight limits on hand luggage though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
@TJ1, if the TO can give you chapter and verse, many people on here will be interested. (I'm about to fly with BA, with my boots in hand luggage as usual. I'm not expecting any problem.)

I'll be doing the same Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I flew out with ski boot bag in January from Gatwick with Easyjet (appreciate question was about BA, but just backs up it shouldn’t be a problem)

No doubt with Ryanair you would have no chance though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I flew with boots in my (cabin legal) bag to the pre Birthday Bash. No problem.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ribblevalleyblue, i travel with ryanair with my boots in a wheelie bag about 6 times a year. Why do you think there would be no chance?
snow report
As stated above, I've flown loads of times on Sleasyjet with my boots in my ( exactly the right size to fit in the size checker ) hand luggage. I can't see any possible reason why they could refuse this. Also as stated, they need to lie flat rather than side by side, but there's still a reasonable amount of room left in a 56x45x25 case.
ski holidays
Is this a BA charter or normal scheduled BA flight?

Normal BA their website even advocates ski boots in hand luggage
latest report
I appreciate its not Gatwick but flew out of London City to Geneva and back into LHR with BA at Xmas, no issues with my ski boots in the correctly sized hand luggage either way.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@ribblevalleyblue, i travel with ryanair with my boots in a wheelie bag about 6 times a year. Why do you think there would be no chance?

Fair point never flown to a ski holiday with them, just assumed if they saw a boot bag they would find a reason to charge.

My comment based purely on too many bad experiences with them and who I avoid unless absolutely no other option.

Apologies for a misleading comment.
latest report
eblunt wrote:
As stated above, I've flown loads of times on Sleasyjet with my boots in my ( exactly the right size to fit in the size checker ) hand luggage. I can't see any possible reason why they could refuse this. Also as stated, they need to lie flat rather than side by side, but there's still a reasonable amount of room left in a 56x45x25 case.

I have always put my boots side by side, always in a ski boot bag and never once had an issue, but probably tempting fate now, as flying out BA to Salzburg on Saturday!

I don’t do it for weight reasons as have that easily covered, it’s just if the luggage goes missing I want my boots (still feeling the pain of those hire boots the first time I skied)
ski holidays
Utter horseshite from the TO.
ski holidays
total bull from the TO...i have flown 4 times with BA so far this year and every time (glasgow / edinburgh / heathrow) i carried a small daypack and a separate boot bag with my ski boots in it. no questions asked.
snow conditions
The TO is talking Ba110cks. I fly BA all the time and have my boots in a cabin bag every time. Gatwick and Heathrow.

A sothers have said, this is probably a myth based on the cabin bag size. A normal boot bag is too chunky officially. However a normal cabin bag with boots in a 69 position are fine.

I use this as my carryon with boots, helmet, mitts, sallopettes and some layers.
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/rab-kit-bag-ii-50l-E2314458.html?channable=e65395.MjMzNDEzXzEwOA&colour=108&gclid=CjwKCAiA7t3yBRADEiwA4GFlI6EJ1lOJoO5jm6zCeofjA7Ih42XYtX7-VarwgLlq5IaQEPtUv4H2ehoCv5MQAvD_BwE

Cheers
GC
latest report
blacksheep wrote:
I've booked with a TO and the flights are with BA. I've paid for 'ski carriage' but the TO website states that only covers skis. I find that bizarre especially when you're paying extra. I'll be turning up with boots in their bag and my skis separate. Ready for an argument if needs be...

The extra allows you to take an extra bag with skis in it - and anything else you can fit into your ski bag - so I used to take my skis with all my ski clothes and towels packed around them - thus reducing the number of hold bags we needed. We had a double ski bag - so two pairs of skis - fairly hefty piece of luggage by the time it was packed but still only charged as one "ski carriage" item.

Ski carriage though won't cover two bags - so if you boots and skis were in the same bag it would, but if seperate your boot bag will count as either hold or cabin bag depending on whether you check them in or not. I would definitely clarify with the airline rather than risk an extortionate "on airport" extra luggage charge.
snow conditions
No issues with BA and we have done it many times this season LHR / GVA. Screenshot from ba.com:

ski holidays
skimummk wrote:
Ski carriage though won't cover two bags - so if you boots and skis were in the same bag it would, but if seperate your boot bag will count as either hold or cabin bag depending on whether you check them in or not. I would definitely clarify with the airline rather than risk an extortionate "on airport" extra luggage charge.

Not quite true of all, Easyjet’s ski bag allowance (small small) if bought did allow this, skis in one bag then boots in a boot bag. Their t&c were not totally clear but I have got them to confirm on chat which get emailed to you and printed out for waving around (never needed, but careful how you use the self check in, you need to select “skis and boots” to get two bag tags) I’ve done this several times with them in the past but not this year.
snow report
We're talking about BA here, not EasyJet though and BA policy has been a ski bag is just another (single) hold bag for years.

I've done 3 weeks so far this year, all flying BA and all with my skis only case as my checked back/my boots in my carry-on bag with everything else - though I've not actually carried my bag on for any of those flights. If you walk up to the check-in desk and say "Can I check in my carry-on bag?" you will almost certainly be told "Of course" and there's never been any talk of charging for the extra bag - at least assuming you have another bag to check. Might not be so easy if you're on a HBO (hand baggage only) ticket. OK, this means you're slightly slower out the airport if you were just HBO but every trip I've
1) Had to pick up my checked skis anyway.
2) Been sharing my transfer with someone with at least 1 checked bag.
3) Not been trying to rush to resort to get some Saturday snow so seen any real benefit in getting out the airport 10-15min quicker.
ski holidays
Sorry @skimummk, you are completely right in regards to BA, I was drifting of into “all” ski carriage policies.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To add to what others have said...I flew end of Jan BA to Venice and back with boots in my carry on bag. they also allow you to take a small rucksack/handbag in addition to the carry on.
snow conditions
blacksheep wrote:

Just because it si a BA flight doesn't mean you get the bA allowance. It is up to the TO. Be are only leasing the plane.
snow report
The TO has confirmed to me in an email that:

"Ski use chartered flights that have particular rules BA have set that only pertain to our ski flights.

We have been advised from BA that ski boot are not allowed in the cabin.

This is not an official stance for all BA flights just our chartered flights.

Our advise is to pack them into your hold bag to avoid complications at the airport."

So I think I will keep my zipfits in my hand luggage, stick the shells in the hold and be ready to give the TO an earful if they don't turn up!
latest report
Do BA fly charter flights? I thought it was scheduled only, and tour operators buy seats on those scheduled services?
snow report
@rob@rar, back in the 90s you could charter a regular service from BA. That is, you could say, "I want a 737 return every Saturday from Gatwick to Geneva", and they'd put it in the service schedule.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Do BA fly charter flights? I thought it was scheduled only, and tour operators buy seats on those scheduled services?

6 years ago, I was on a BA Charter flight for a Mark Warner holiday. Hence asking the question. Was it BA scheduled or charter way up the thread!

To OP - i would get this bag, it doesn’t LOOK like a boot bag, if it were me (and is the bag I have!)

https://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/boot-bags/4840-lange-basic-duo-boot-bag-2020.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkePyBRCEARIsAMy5ScsW_jsCv838itkSrZr7GTyZ4kfMvTMYsNiK671rqGyqdxMioJ9jsMIaAhqjEALw_wcB
snow report
Just wondering - has anyone EVER had their carry-on bag opened and inspected by any airline?

Most I've ever seen is people be asked to put them in the size gauge to confirm they are carry-on sized (including one where the passenger got the bag in with a little pushing...then couldn;t get it back out Very Happy).
snow conditions
TJ1 wrote:
The TO has confirmed to me in an email that:

"Ski use chartered flights that have particular rules BA have set that only pertain to our ski flights.

We have been advised from BA that ski boot are not allowed in the cabin.

This is not an official stance for all BA flights just our chartered flights.

Our advise is to pack them into your hold bag to avoid complications at the airport."

So I think I will keep my zipfits in my hand luggage, stick the shells in the hold and be ready to give the TO an earful if they don't turn up!

What's the flight number/date and time? Just wondering if it IS a fully charter flight or in reality a scheduled one anyone could book on ba.com...
ski holidays
Without knowing the exact regulations I can tell you that yesterday two friends flew Gatwick to Geneva on BA with ski boots in hand luggage without any problems at all
ski holidays
Just come back from 8 legs with BA to Sapporo, no issues, if it fits in a cabin bag, no probs........

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 28-02-20 19:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
We are curently sitting in Terminal 5 at Heathrow, with our ski boots in hand luggage, having flown Newcastle -LHR-Denver 3 weeks ago, then Las Vegas to LHR last night - all with BA.

No problems to report. Very Happy
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

Not sure about ski flights but been taking a chartered BA flight to Greece with BA on behalf of a Neilson for several years now. So yes, they do exist.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy