Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy sking and the Coronavirus?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi . Lots in the news this morning about Italy and the Coronavirus in the Milan area. I think they are up to 217 cases. Wonder how it's going effect the airport etc and travel from there to the ski resorts. Some areas around Milan are closing down. Then of course coming back to the UK will be an issue. I'm driving from MXP to Cervina on 4th April.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gaz_H, discussion about that here

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151841
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51625733
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone have a list of the 12 locked down towns ?

I googled but none of the news reports has a defined list.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From thelocal.it
Quote:
In the region of Lombardy: Codogno; Castiglione d’Adda; Casalpusterlengo; Fombio; Maleo; Somaglia; Bertonico; Terranova dei Passerini; Castelgerundo; and San Fiorano.

In the region of Veneto: Vo’Euganeo.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sheffskibod wrote:

Just check out the NHS website for up to date info.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Relative is cabin crew and was on a flight to Milan yesterday. Only 18 pax on way out, 40 on way back. They had to wear gloves for return flight!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dur! One of those v annoying repeat postings

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 26-02-20 15:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sheffskibod, either of these:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-specified-countries-and-areas/covid-19-specified-countries-and-areas-with-implications-for-returning-travellers-or-visitors-arriving-in-the-uk
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This map shows the areas and list the town's...
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sheffskibod wrote:

They are mostly Italian garment towns, where thousands of cheap Chinese workers are flown in to make "made in Italy" clothes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booked to go to Sauze next week and have had the following message from Crystal:

Hi,

We are aware of the reports of Coronavirus in destinations around the world, including some regions in Italy and the restrictions that have been introduced by their local authorities.

We can confirm that none of our resorts are in any of the towns which are currently isolated and our holidays are operating as normal.

Our usual terms and conditions for amendments and cancellations apply, however should the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) travel advice change to advise against travel to the country you are visiting or due to visit, we will contact you to discuss your options, including an amendment or full refund.

For full information please visit the Government website for more information on the risks and advice on the preventative measures.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public

We'll also provide the latest updates on our website. https://www.crystalski.co.uk/travel-information/

The team at Crystal Ski Holidays
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drove to Turin airport this morning and the only visible sign of anything untoward was that the last toll booth just before Turin Autostrada was not manned and BA check in staff wearing gloves.

And @ClanChief, I'd be more worried about the snow!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, That bad huh? I thought they were due a dump over the next few day's?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ClanChief, yesterday's dump didn't really happen, maybe some snow today and then the weather is looking more unsettled into next week, so fingers crossed.
snow report
@Weathercam, Ok thank you! Watching the Snow Report forum intently Smile
ski holidays
Hi all,

As the other thread about this is quickly descending into chaos I just thought I'd leave this here.

We were due to fly into Turin on Sunday with BA and spend a few days in Bardonecchia. Whilst nowhere near the affected towns on lockdown, we made the decision to look at other options due to both having elderly/ill relatives back at home as well as the other half wouldn't get paid for taking off 2 weeks in self isolation.
Some people may take this as over-reacting, but it wasn't us we were concerned about being fit, healthy and reasonably young but others. We wanted to minimise the risk as much as possible but we are fully aware, we could still catch it elsewhere! If our situation at home was different, we were both still happy to travel.

With that being said, I contacted BA as they have recently updated their policy for Northern Italy flights. They offered to change our travel dates or change our destination to either Zurich or Geneva free of charge. We are now flying to Geneva and going to the PdS.

Just thought that may be useful for others who may be flying with BA if they have any concerns. For once, they were very efficient and I was on the phone for a grand total of 10 minutes.
snow conditions
Easyjet policy at the moment.

Coronavirus – COVID 19
27/02/2020

The health and wellbeing of our passengers and crew is our highest priority.

We would like to reassure customers that our existing policies and procedures are in line with the guidance provided by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and EASA. We remain in regular contact with the authorities and will amend our procedures if and when required if guidance changes. There is currently no change to advice for airlines, so our flights are operating as normal and standard terms and conditions on tickets continue to apply.

Please click here for further information around travel restrictions.
latest report
Quote:

it wasn't us we were concerned about being fit, healthy and reasonably young

Obviously risks are much greater for the elderly or chronic sick BUT viral pneumonia is no joke for anyone and could lead to several weeks off work and a slow recovery. Until we know a lot more about the course of the illness it doesn't do to be complacent. Spanish flu killed huge numbers of young, apparently healthy, people (though many of them will have been malnourished) and viruses can mutate. It makes sense for everybody to do what they can to avoid being infected, for their own protection as well as those around them. The problem is that for the moment it's not easy to make rational decisions about the level of risk in, for example, European airports, when the situation is changing so fast. Right now I'd have thought that closing a school because some kids have been skiing in Italy is an over-reaction.
ski holidays
@pam w, interesting documentary on TV last week re: Spanish flu.
It centered on the source and it's spread through US training camps to Europe. Missed opportunities to quarantine and isolate it.

Recent research shows most of deaths were of healthy people. Their immune system went into overdrive and destroyed lungs. Ironically, those with poor or undeveloped immune system survived.
snow conditions
Dont Put Yourself in harms way !

Im reposting this here …

stanton wrote:
Folks

Would you take a holiday to a warzone?

This region of Italy is currently the largest Covid19 hotspot in the Western Hemisphere..

Resorts are full of international visitors

Once there you could become part of the problem (carrier) transporting the virus back to your home country..

Some Governments have been very slow or even careless with advice.

Dont become part of the problem.
ski holidays
Quote:

Their immune system went into overdrive

that's what happens with sepsis, isn't it?
latest report
stanton wrote:
Dont Put Yourself in harms way !

Im reposting this here …

stanton wrote:
Folks

Would you take a holiday to a warzone?

This region of Italy is currently the largest Covid19 hotspot in the Western Hemisphere..

Resorts are full of international visitors

Once there you could become part of the problem (carrier) transporting the virus back to your home country..

Some Governments have been very slow or even careless with advice.

Dont become part of the problem.

or maybe listen to an expert and follow the government advice ....
snow report
@wnhall, I thought that many in the current government don’t believe in experts. At least that’s what they said during a recent referendum campaign Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@wnhall,

Health is more important than Money..

Not even WHO have a full understad ding of the cause or spread of this virus.. Govenments take advice from them ..

Better to be abead of the late advice.from Govenment.

Dont be Selfish and travel to a HotSpit Region you could be a carrier without knowing taking it back to your country .infecting friends,family,collegues etc..

Put it another way if Italy Regions had Ebola would you travel there?
snow conditions
Depends on the likely hood of me coming into contact with it . Like anything -just to note that where I am currently booked to go is cervinia , which is actually further away from the affected areas than other countries .
I’m not saying I’m going . And it isn’t a money decision . I’m saying I will be following advice of an expert - and not someone with zero knowledge on a subject so far most expects are saying avoid the towns and surrounding areas , not a whole country . I work in London , I am currently closer to confirmed cases as I sit here now , what’s your advice to me there ?
ski holidays
Depends on the likely hood of me coming into contact with it . Like anything -just to note that where I am currently booked to go is cervinia , which is actually further away from the affected areas than other countries .
I’m not saying I’m going . And it isn’t a money decision . I’m saying I will be following advice of an expert - and not someone with zero knowledge on a subject so far most expects are saying avoid the towns and surrounding areas , not a whole country . I work in London , I am currently closer to confirmed cases as I sit here now , what’s your advice to me there ?
ski holidays
@wnhall, I am sympathetic to most of what you say, but not regarding confirmed cases in the UK. These appear to be thoroughly monitored and isolated from the rest of the community. Thus they are not relevant to whatever risk there may be in the wider population.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Incidentally I travelled to Bali , in September , dengue fever and zica was present , I followed advice and covered up , particularly around stagnant water , mossie spray and netted up at night and was fine , along with the god knows how many other people that travel to the region following government advice.
snow report
achilles wrote:
@wnhall, I am sympathetic to most of what you say, but not regarding confirmed cases in the UK. These appear to be thoroughly monitored and isolated from the rest of the community. Thus they are not relevant to whatever risk there may be in the wider population.

300 people shared a building with the individual and then went home on public transport
ski holidays
I don’t think we will know the outcome of the above for a few days /weeks
We could have the same situation as Italy , or it could be fine but if we applied the same sort of logic everyone should avoid the south of England at all costs.
latest report
@wnhall,

Im no expert but this is just common sense to do anything to keep as far away .

Once upon a time tje Mountains between Italy,Austria$France etc were a natural defence and wasy to close crossing and prevent people going in and out.

Air Travel changed all that and thats why you see this virus propogating all over the world..
snow report
@wnhall, so good you wrote it twice wink I get what you are saying - it will be interesting to see how that translates to further infection. Unfortunate, but it will help improve statistics on how the disease is propagated. It clearly is not a good think to be on a cruise ship with confirmed cases. I am less clear how much risk there is in a UK office environment. Bus, train, and tube? Not sure. I guess we will have a better idea soon.
snow conditions
@stanton agreed , but for all the negatives it brings , it makes travel and seeing more places possible . Much like skiing , it’s good fun but as with anything there are risks involved . If we take no risks we never leave our houses.
For balance I am not saying take loads of risks , merely make sure that the risks are not excessive .
I am giving my opinion as someone who has the dilemma of go on a booked trip or not .
@stanton are you going skiing/ boarding at all this season ? If so where ?
ski holidays
More immediately, how can we stop the infection of more threads by stantovid-19

Would be productive if it took its own advice and self isolated Toofy Grin
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
@wnhall, so good you wrote it twice wink I get what you are saying - it will be interesting to see how that translates to further infection. Unfortunate, but it will help improve statistics on how the disease is propagated. It clearly is not a good think to be on a cruise ship with confirmed cases. I am less clear how much risk there is in a UK office environment. Bus, train, and tube? Not sure. I guess we will have a better idea soon.

yea think my phone got excited :-z
yea agree . the cruise ship is the 3rd biggest number of confirmed cases ahead of Italy
so clearly points to close proximity being an issue .

I would say the tube will be the biggest issue if proximity is the biggest issue
snow report
Oh well the SIGB ski test in Pila scheduled for next week which we were coming back for is rapidly imploding with all the top brands pulling out as I type this Sad
snow report
@pam w, Yes it's very similar to how sepsis causes problems, but in this case, the reaction was in the lungs rather that the blood. The victims' lung walls were destroyed by the immune system, causing them to slowly drown in their own blood, whilst coughing up the lung lining. Not a pleasant way to go.
snow report
Just a note for any Blood donors travelling to Italy.
Just been rejected for donation due to being on Bbash.

Current exclusion is 28 days for anyone travelling through northern Italy, including airports.
This time next week, expect more areas to be on list.

suggest donate before you go if you can.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Oh well the SIGB ski test in Pila scheduled for next week which we were coming back for is rapidly imploding with all the top brands pulling out as I type this Sad

What a shame. Was looking forward to Pila having a bit more atmosphere about it next week. At least we might get to do the runs without too many nutters buzzing past far too close now then...........
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy