Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona Virus + upcoming holiday

Poster: A snowHead
@seanmac67, welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Neillp, surgical face masks are designed to protect the patient, not the medic.

You don’t actually Really, breathe through them - much (all?) of the air comes in and out round the sides.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@seanmac67, welcome to snowHeads and commiserations with the worries associated with your upcoming family trip.

A small crumb of comfort, I know, but your destination La Thuile is right on the border with France. At least 4 hours drive from the area of N. Italy currently covered by government controls and restrictions.

That said, the coronavirus situation is very unpredictable and fast moving. Fingers crossed things work out best as possible for you. Hopefully information from snowHeads and links they provide to relevant sources will continue to help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Secy of State for Health just interviewed live on BBC1 TV. Main changes appeared to be:

- anyone who recently visited N. Italy recently showing flu-like symptoms should immediately self isolate (N. Italy stated as being ‘north of Pisa’

- anyone who recently visited the specific area of N. Italy currently covered by travel restrictions should self isolate, regardless of whether they have any symptoms

Apparently an update explaining the situation, hopefully more fully and clearly, is due at 08.00.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neillp wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
@compostcorner, face masks are useless

Not disagreeing with you specifically but could you explain why you say that?

Thanks

Neill

Read the news or Google it. Lots of explanations out. Basically they dont stop the airborne particles. As UANN says they arent airtight
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
....and all this with a really big dump forecast later this week!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
austria in 10 days ,having just had a a look on fo sight re any restrictions likely ,found that there is a recent law banning the use of any form of face mask in public places,other than around festivals
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimottaret, aaahhhh that makes sense, was wondering why my Italian neighbours are here (in Serre Che), she works in a school in Turin.

I fly back to the UK on Thurs ex Turin and then back on the Tues 3rd, then from Turin we go up to Pila for the SIGB Ski Test, which as yet has not been cancelled, wonder if that will go ahead?

All quite ironic having only just returned from Japan where obviously it was more in your face as it were, as circa 90% of Japanese were wearing face masks, way more than usual, and all the check-in staff were wearing them and at times with their very soft voices and accent one had to keep on apologising and ask them to repeat what they were saying.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My wife heard yesterday that Italy has screened way more people than most other countries. So it stands to reason that it has found way more people infected. Meaning that it isn't necessarily a virus hotspot, more that it is just more aware of numbers infected. No idea whether this is true or not.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well the alps are north of Pisa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51625733
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam,
Quote:

All quite ironic - when facemasks are useless in the first place
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dode, The US (can't recall which agency) is about to start screening certain cities to try and ascertain just what the real infected population is likely to be ...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Secy of State for Health just interviewed live on BBC1 TV

Bet he didn't mention Brexshit did he?

I don't think I can take anything that any of Johnson's cronies say seriously. Not on this nor on any other topic.

'Flu infects, causes more morbidity and more mortality every year than this so far has. You don't avoid Italy in case you catch 'flu do you?

Security theatre.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're going to Madonna 7th to 14th.
No intention of cancelling unless the FO advises against travel or Jet2 stop flying there.

But what happens if Madonna is locked down whilst we're there?
Can we stay in our hotel for free for another couple of weeks?
Will the lifts still be running?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sailbad the Sinner, Do you want to know the weather as well
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@Sailbad the Sinner, Do you want to know the weather as well

Yes Please.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
I’m really wondering what is the increased statistical risk with this compared to the usual winter flu deaths around Europe, and the usual road traffic deaths in the Asian countries.

about zero.
snow conditions
@Super Steezy,
Quote:

Well the alps are north of Pisa

...not just the Alps but even Florence, Bologna, Parma, Genoa, Milan, Verona, Venice. Maybe 25% of the land mass of Italy?? A higher density population in the north of Italy than south too I think.
snow report
@under a new name, @davidof, I personally am adopting a more "Rule Number 5" attitude Laughing
latest report
Anyone in Cervinia? Wonder about the crossing to and from Zermatt, which I intend to be doing a number of times in a couple of weeks?
snow report
Folks

Would you take a holiday to a warzone?

This region of Italy is currently the largest Covid19 hotspot in the Western Hemisphere..

Resorts are full of international visitors

Once there you could become part of the problem (carrier) transporting the virus back to your home country..

Some Governments have been very slow or even careless with advice.

Dont become part of the problem.
snow conditions
I'm kind of suprised by the chatter in this thread... I'm going to Gressoney (flying to Milan) on Friday and my take was that the risk here was minimal and the only thing that would influence me going would be if the UK FCO issued a travel warning that invalidated my insurance.

I guess if you had other things to be back in the UK for, such that the risk of travel disruption was catastrophic then this might also come into play.
ski holidays
Oh well just had a nag with my neighbour's son, he lives in Turin, and all schools closed as well as cinemas etc

So be interesting to see what happens, this time next week.

If they close the border as Montgenevre as we'll have our gear with us we'll ski tour across from another valley and drop down into France.

Note to self chuck my 48lt pack in the van Laughing
snow report
stanton wrote:
Folks

This region of Italy is currently the largest Covid19 hotspot in the Western Hemisphere..
Once there you could become part of the problem (carrier) transporting the virus back to your home country..

Don’t completely disagree with the sentiment, even if a little World War Z in style, but with over £2K invested in my trip, without the FO saying we can’t travel, I have very little fiscal choice. Crystal Ski or my travel insurance aren’t going to reimburse me just because it might be the right thing to do to cancel.
snow conditions
Sailbad the Sinner wrote:
No intention of cancelling unless the FO advises against travel or Jet2 stop flying there.

Check your insurance. You will likely be covered but i would expect it to cover only costs at basic kevel
ski holidays
@stanton, you are an idiot.
ski holidays
My issue isn’t so much with the risk in the resort but flying into Turin airport and the risks there. I’m going to wait a few days and see. I’ll be raging if a certain ski company keeps my money though
latest report
Chuckles3 wrote:
stanton wrote:
Folks

Don’t completely disagree with the sentiment, even if a little World War Z in style, but with over £2K invested in my trip, without the FO saying we can’t travel, I have very little fiscal choice. Crystal Ski or my travel insurance aren’t going to reimburse me just because it might be the right thing to do to cancel.

Well the £2k is sunk cost so really there is no fiscal argument. Its really about how you feel personally about travel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Travel and winter sports insurance covers a multitude of risks. For me, the cover that I value most is mountain rescue cover and third party liability. These potentially being the most expensive claims. This cover can be provided through other sources, such as the AAC. I’m not worried about the cover for lost luggage, delays, cancellations, etc. and am happy to self-insure this. Medical costs are important too, but these are largely covered by an EHIC. In short, the loss of insurance cover may not bother me.

Of course, people’s circumstances will differ and many would not travel unless fully covered.
snow report
@under a new name, call me what you want ....

Its very easy to decide if to travel. ..

Take the money factor out of the thought process.....

This is about Health (everyones) ..

If they had Skiing in Wuhan would you go??
snow conditions
@stanton, yes.

It is NOT A WAR ZONE.

Idiot.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
@under a new name, call me what you want ....

Its very easy to decide if to travel. ..

Take the money factor out of the thought process.....

This is about Health (everyones) ..

If they had Skiing in Wuhan would you go??

Too right mate. Better not to go on holiday and instead catch the underground everyday for the next few weeks.
ski holidays
@Austrian Seagull, exactly.

Either a. the virus is readily containable, in which case this will blow over in a few weeks/months, or b. it is not, in which case, no point trying to contain it.
ski holidays
Like-a-fly-on-shite, it doesn't take stanton long to turn up does it.

Parasitic trolling is a nasty virus the forum can't shake off Very Happy
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:

Check your insurance. You will likely be covered but i would expect it to cover only costs at basic kevel

My post wasn't supposed to be taken seriously!

Really my only concern is the very remote risk of being stuck in resort for 2 weeks with all the lifts closed.
And even worse if all the bars have run out of Aperol....
If the lifts are running I could see there might just be a silver lining for us.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Chuckles3 wrote:
stanton wrote:
Folks

Well the £2k is sunk cost so really there is no fiscal argument. Its really about how you feel personally about travel

I personally am quite happy to travel at the moment & will be guided by FO advice. A fine line is being drawn at the moment, both on here & the media in general, between informing people & levels bordering on hysteria. I think I risk being involved in an accident on my way to the airport higher than contracting the virus on my visit to Pila next week.
snow report
@ski3, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Are any of you epidemiologists? If you are, it would be interesting to hear your take on the issue. Otherwise, it's just uninformed speculation. We could certainly do with a bit more than vague generalisations from the government agencies.

I think this is where we're ill-served by current media approach: everything has to fit into a 90-second video report, preferably with the presenter standing 'live' from somewhere vaguely related to the topic. Remember AIDS? It took months, years almost for the media to tackle the subject in an informed and balanced way.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 25-02-20 11:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Really my only concern is the very remote risk of being stuck in resort for 2 weeks with all the lifts closed.
And even worse if all the bars have run out of Aperol....
If the lifts are running I could see there might just be a silver lining for us.

I don't think you'll have anything to worry about - your flight out will be cancelled and I'll be "stuck" out there from the week before instead Very Happy
snow report
Maybe this will Help folks make a rational Health decision...

https://covid19info.live/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy