Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona Virus + upcoming holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Im skiing in Northern Italy now and the local schools have shut for the week and all ski trips for kids cancelled..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As long as the travel advice is still ok for the Piedmont region, we are still going for it. But to be fair, once we are out of the airport, we are renting a car, in our own self catered apartment and plan on eating in most nights thus hopefully limiting our interaction with others!

Loads of fresh snow forecast for next week as well Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albob wrote:
SnowB1KinOldy wrote:
denfinella wrote:
Another thing to consider:

The Irish foreign office is currently advising against to Lombardy / Veneto / Piedmont etc. This covers most of the airports used by skiers heading for the Italian Alps: Marco Polo, Treviso, Verona, Bergamo, Malpensa, Linate, Turin...

If the UK issues similar advice (fairly likely?), does this mean travel insurance would be invalid if you choose to travel against this advice?

There are certainly plenty of "news" articles on the internet about this advice from the irish FO but the official website does not seem to indicate this at all (yet). Did you read some news article or do you have a link to an official statement by the Irish FO advising against travel to those areas?

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/ :: "Citizens are advised not to travel to affected areas."

Yes, I had seen that but I don't think it is an "Insurance Claimable" level of advice but just a sensible bit of advice after stating what the italian actions included. I would expect this to be raised to "Security status - We advise you to Avoid Non Essential Travel to Italy (or parts of xxxx) before one could contemplate cancelling their holiday and getting a successful refund via an insurance claim.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about those of us who are not travelling to Italy, but arriving in France via a road trip from UK, then meant to be departing from Turin for the homeward bound flight. ? (Son no 1).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Serbia’s foreign ministry has advised Serbs against travelling to the parts of Italy hit by the virus.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I checked with my insurance company in Ireland as I'm going to Champoluc via Turin and they (Mapfre Asistencia) do not normally cover cancellation due to government advice not to travel to an area. They said, however, that if the same advice still existed within 48 hrs of my travel date (13 Mar) and I cancelled my holiday, they would 'consider' an indeterminate 'ex-gratia' payment after I submitted a claim. They would not give me any further details on amount they might pay out or if they would pay out at all.
FFS.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowB1KinOldy wrote:
albob wrote:
SnowB1KinOldy wrote:
denfinella wrote:
Another thing to consider:

The Irish foreign office is currently advising against to Lombardy / Veneto / Piedmont etc. This covers most of the airports used by skiers heading for the Italian Alps: Marco Polo, Treviso, Verona, Bergamo, Malpensa, Linate, Turin...

If the UK issues similar advice (fairly likely?), does this mean travel insurance would be invalid if you choose to travel against this advice?

There are certainly plenty of "news" articles on the internet about this advice from the irish FO but the official website does not seem to indicate this at all (yet). Did you read some news article or do you have a link to an official statement by the Irish FO advising against travel to those areas?

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/ :: "Citizens are advised not to travel to affected areas."

Yes, I had seen that but I don't think it is an "Insurance Claimable" level of advice but just a sensible bit of advice after stating what the italian actions included. I would expect this to be raised to "Security status - We advise you to Avoid Non Essential Travel to Italy (or parts of xxxx) before one could contemplate cancelling their holiday and getting a successful refund via an insurance claim.

Agree -- the statement is not very specific, a bit like saying "take care out there now"
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i think you should just go on your holidays and enjoy it, you cant just worry about something that might not happen, i reckon you got more chance of being hit by an avalanche than contracting some chinese dicease, and if you are worried about it then wear a face mask.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@compostcorner, face masks are useless
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting numbers about Coronavirus here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ no idea how accurate
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m off to Pila via Turin on Sunday. Unless the FO say we can’t travel, will be going. There’s not really anything else to be done.

I’ve been following this page for updates from the Italian point of things if it helps anyone - https://www.regione.piemonte.it/web/temi/sanita/coronavirus-2019-ncov-gestione-della-situazione
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My son was due to fly to Genoa this coming long weekend, to see his son, and take him (by train) to Rome for a couple of days. He's just cancelled. Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chuckles3 wrote:
I’m off to Pila via Turin on Sunday. Unless the FO say we can’t travel, will be going. There’s not really anything else to be done.

I’ve been following this page for updates from the Italian point of things if it helps anyone - https://www.regione.piemonte.it/web/temi/sanita/coronavirus-2019-ncov-gestione-della-situazione

We can wave to each other in the temperature testing line!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fridge03 wrote:
Chuckles3 wrote:

We can wave to each other in the temperature testing line!

Just don't cough on me
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flew through Turin last week and was reassured by the forehead temperature scan everyone has to have on arrival (only) and also the visible presence of a medical team. Nothing when coming back to Birmingham though - or Heathrow.
latest report
bambionskiis wrote:
Flew through Turin last week and was reassured by the forehead temperature scan everyone has to have on arrival (only) and also the visible presence of a medical team. Nothing when coming back to Birmingham though - or Heathrow.

+1, I was worried how my ASD daughter was going to react to the checks, but she was pleased by them Happy

Again nothing coming in LGW from Turin
snow conditions
We were temp scanned twice on arrival in Turin on Saturday.... although having an iPad pointed at you by a chap in a Red Cross outfit was not particularly reassuring. News today (Monday) of the increased death count in Italy, I suspect they’ll get a bit more thorough. I’m here in Sauzy for 2 weeks... I can see me going straight to Arrowe park on my return...
ski holidays
Highly sceptical about the benefits of temp scanning , thought it was nuts when we went to Italy and still think it's bizarre.
ski holidays
Am in Dolomites now, flew in from Innsbruck last Sat. So far, doesn't seem to be affecting anything here, and huge numbers of Italians are here from, I guess, all over (including affected areas Puzzled ) as well as German speakers. Restaurants and bars on and off mountain (and busses and gondolas and cable cars) are full. Just hope that the Italians and Austrians will let us out again!
So far, any temperature checks are most likely to read sunburn...
Highest significant risk for most people is probably usual ski/board injuries from the crowded, chopped-up soft pistes. Well, that's me desperately trying not to worry, anyway wink
If there's lock downs or FCO advice, then obviously things change - but really anywhere is now starting to look risky, in Italy or probably anywhere else. Can only see how things develop, and if containments work or not.
snow conditions
Quote:

I guess, all over (including affected areas )

Bound to be lots who travelled before the current restrictions came into effect. Very difficult for them - presumably they'll be allowed to return home.
ski holidays
@pam w, though the population of the area under lockdown is not huge - 50,000. From a BBC video I've seen, I think you are allowed to go into the cordon (but once you do, you can't come out again).
latest report
@compostcorner,
Quote:

i think you should just go on your holidays and enjoy it, you cant just worry about something that might not happen, i reckon you got more chance of being hit by an avalanche than contracting some chinese dicease, and if you are worried about it then wear a face mask.

Are you heading to places with lockdowns in place any time soon?

BTW it’s not a ‘chinese dicease’. Viruses don’t have nationalities, as far as I know.
ski holidays
Why didn't I come here first instead of hunting everywhere else for info? Laughing

We're supposed to be off to Madonna di Campiglio on Saturday so were starting to get a bit concerned.

Just keeping my fingers crossed now - looking on the bright side, it may be a bit quieter out there. Smaller queues at the lifts are always welcomed Very Happy

@SnowB1KinOldy - thanks for the FCO link

@holidayloverxx
- thanks for the info on the LLoyds Gold Account insurance

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 24-02-20 20:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
1.latest advice I've seen from irish foreign office, advises not to travel to the affected towns which are on lock down, rather than the entire regions, which are mainly Lombardy and and Veneto

2. None of the towns affected by the current lock down are ski resorts. Most are just to the SE of Milan and a couple in southern Veneto region.

3. Read today about 3 infected people who visited Trento region and stayed near Andalo ski resort. Maybe this village will end up on lockdown as well but not heard anything yet.
snow report
@oldschool72, They always say that with any claim.

If it comes to it, press ahead with your claim and if they play up go straight to the ombudsman (if any in Ireland).
snow report
albob wrote:

Not actually what it says in that link...

"....the Italian government has placed travel restrictions on the towns of Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano). For the moment, therefore, we are advising citizens not to travel to these towns...."
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:

My good friend who is a virologist at Porton Down says exactly this!
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
albob wrote:

Not actually what it says in that link...

"....the Italian government has placed travel restrictions on the towns of Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano). For the moment, therefore, we are advising citizens not to travel to these towns...."

They have changed their advice from earlier today -- and will probably change again as things progress
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flew in to MXP on the 15th and had temperature checked, flew out yesterday without any checks at all, and no notices posted around the airport. No checks being made at MAN only saw a couple of A4 posters in what I think was Mandarin.
snow report
... although if there is a modern infra-red type system installed, you won't necessarily realise you are being scanned. Until you are pulled aside Sad
snow report
hi guys, I am going to go to madonna di campiglio on March 1st to March 7th. I am still hesitating whether to go or not (the worst case scenario I'm out 200 euro [deposit]). I am really struggling with that decision. I bought new skis, boots, poles, helmet, jacket and pants. Two week later, and two week before trip, corona virus outbreak in northern Italy - story of my life Smile

If I go I will let you know about any weird situations or procedures, whatever. I hope I won't stuck inside quarantine area or worse, get infected. Drat.
ski holidays
@JohnDoe22, welcome to snowHeads! Very Happy Sorry it's a gloomy start.
snow report
@albob, I got massively confused when I switched on my radio this afternoon, in the middle of a programme about this, and they started talking about Somaglia - the g is silent.
snow report
I'm just back from Madonna, flew in and out of Verona, temperature scanned on way in and 50% of people wearing masks on the way home. Felt pretty apocalyptic.

I also had a short trip end of Jan and had a pretty horrible bout of the cold/flu/cough on my return, I was on a flix bus with at least 20 nationalities back to Munich airport.

My partner now has the same symptoms, she's also pregnant, our doctor advised over the phone to rest and as symptoms started last week it's probably peaked already and not worth testing for anything! She also works for the NHS who have told her to stay at home.

I'm not sure if we've had/got it but all the things I'm reading would suggest we could have had, nobody seems too bothered about checking tho.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 25-02-20 1:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
JohnDoe22 wrote:
hi guys, I am going to go to madonna di campiglio on March 1st to March 7th. I am still hesitating whether to go or not (the worst case scenario I'm out 200 euro [deposit]). I am really struggling with that decision. I bought new skis, boots, poles, helmet, jacket and pants. Two week later, and two week before trip, corona virus outbreak in northern Italy - story of my life Smile

If I go I will let you know about any weird situations or procedures, whatever. I hope I won't stuck inside quarantine area or worse, get infected. Drat.

Go and enjoy your trip! I'm also due to be there 29/02-07/03, if the planes are flying then so am I as long as my girlfriend is back to 100%
ski holidays
I'm going to be watching what you guys do and find on your trips. We're supposed to fly out to Malpensa in a little over two weeks and then drive across the border into Montgenevre. As long as the border stays open, it should be fine, I would think. Same goes for allowing us to fly to/from. We have two weeks to see how this plays out.

By the way, checking that link from Piemonte...

"Gli allenamenti sportivi sono ammessi escludendo l’utilizzo di spogliatoi e docce. "

Basically sporting activities (not matches, sporting events and the like) are allowed except you can't use locker rooms or public showers.
ski holidays
Hi. A newbie here with a lot of soul searching to do for the rest of the week as we ( 3 teenagers and myself and herself) are due to travel to La Thuile on Sunday , Mar 1st. Flying via Turin and my head is melted with all of this. This ( this forum)is a valuable resource though and thanks to all for their input. It’d gonna be a long week. Sad
ski holidays
English ski championships were held in bormio Italy last week.
The kids and parents are spread all over Europe now!
ski holidays
Just sit sight all, situation evolving. Unfortunately by weekend if trajectory continues as is likely all flights to Northern or even all Italy will be cancelled. On other hand if few or no more cases in coming days then probably things are under control there and travel safe. We'll await today's update
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:

Not disagreeing with you specifically but could you explain why you say that?

Thanks

Neill
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy