Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona Virus + upcoming holiday

Poster: A snowHead
bambionskiis wrote:
She detests technology which is a real shame and as I’m pretty sure she has dementia, I think that ship has sailed!! She’s desperate for a cat so I’ll get back onto that search. I had been holding off but I may crack on with that now.

Our family has had some experience with dementia, so I hope you don't mind me butting in here. If you don't already have it, it would be sensible to set up a power of attorney while your mum is still switched on enough to sign it. This will make your life way easier just for simple things like sorting out her electric bill if she can no longer manage. You can't get permission from someone who doesn't have the capacity, so sooner rather than later is better.

Then, try and get her a diagnosis. This may open up some avenues for assistance if you need it.

Finally, I'd be wary of getting a cat. In the short term if she can look after it that's fine, but if she deteriorates the cat may suffer from lack of or inappropriate care. My nan was feeding hers all sorts of things like sandwiches, while the cat was never sure where his next meal was coming from so ate anything that was available. He got a bit tubby to say the least!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx wrote:
+2

I suspect @geoffknight isnt fully cognisant of the facts

Clearly not, please accept my apologies
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@geoffknight, Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Apologies for the amount of drivvle I may.post on Snowheads.

Please don't apologize, or we'll all have to do it!

@bambionskiis, it sounds as though your mum would benefit from a cat, especially as she is unable/unwilling to communicate in other ways. I am not a pet lover by a long way, but it can be a life line for some people. Undemanding, uncritical, unconditional affection. Some care homes have a suitably tolerant and affectionate dog, and people with dementia can get a lot of pleasure out of them. However, one care home near here replaced a much loved dog that died with one which just didn't behave itself and had to be kicked out - one of the care staff nobly adopted it. There's enough unpredictable aggression from some people in care homes, without adding a nervy dog into the mix!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Apologies for the amount of drivvle I may.post on Snowheads.

Please don't apologize, or we'll all have to do it!

@bambionskiis, it sounds as though your mum would benefit from a cat, especially as she is unable/unwilling to communicate in other ways.

Excellent advice.

Quote:
I am not a pet lover by a long way,

I always knew there was something odd about you.

Quote:
but it can be a life line for some people. Undemanding, uncritical, unconditional affection.

Cats can be very demanding.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I made this today.
Totally made up on the spot but interesting conclusions
I use a spreadsheet to model Coronavirus spread.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/GYLDe9bBZUU
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameronphillips2000, Do you have tldr version if you don't mind me asking?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cameronphillips2000, Brilliant......brings things into sharp relief. Thank you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is tldr?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cameronphillips2000, I didn’t have time to watch it and was wondering what the conclusion was?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cameronphillips2000, Too Long Didn't Read. Sometimes written as TL;DR.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you watch after about 45 minutes you see the effect of transmission rate on current cases and death rate

I was changing it between about 0.1 and 0.3

Two weeks ago in central Europe, they were getting about 30% extra cases a day. At this rate it spreads alarmingly and the death rate per day reaches hundreds of thousands at it's peak.
Lat week it was down to 0.2
Hopefully now, it's more like 0.1 in most countries. - this gives it a much longer spread and far fewer cases per day to deal with.

I hadn't thought of it but there's a rate where new infections is less than people coming out out of the other side cured - at this rate the total infections soon falls and things get under control.

I we say it takes and average of 14 days to cure then that's effective about 0.074 cure rate per day on current cases.
There is, of course a lag in the system of 14 days. If we had 96% cured from 14 days ago - let's say 100 people, then the infected rate today may be 1000 people - so you cure 96 people that day but you've got new cases infected by the 1000 infected today.
Putting the number is into my deeply flawed spreadsheet gives and infection rate of about .07-0.08 per day per infected person to have a massive decline in cases
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheers, food for thought.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I cant help but think when you see all the politicians that have caught it and proved by test there must be many thousands probably tens of thousands of normal folk who have had very mild or non existent symptoms and thus not tested, the chances of these great and good getting it and not us plebs is so small the virus must be far more widespread than official numbers
latest report
robs1 wrote:
... the virus must be far more widespread than official numbers
At the time of the first No.10 press conference with the PM and his science advisers (about 10 days ago), confirmed infections in the UK were around 500. The Chief Science Adviser said that they believed the actual number of infections in the population were in the range of 5,000-10,000.
ski holidays
My insurers tell me that the whole resort closing isn't counted as "curtailment" for insurance purposes. They are a reputable company, but we are self-bookers, self-drivers and dont' have a "travel company" to turn to, which is what they are telling us to do.

Is this general for holiday insurance or can anyone recommend a good insurance company for skiing that does cover resort closure?

It looks as if our 2-elders annual European policy, taken out not long ago, is now basically waste paper - not sure if I can do anything about that Sad (Not really a good bog paper substitute either Smile )
snow report
My memory is that lift pass costs were refundable on some policies if all the lifts were shut. But just because you can't ski, that doesn't mean your holiday has been "curtailed". Same if you couldn't ski because you were injured on the first run of the first day. They would meet the costs of the injury, insofar as their policy allows, but not the fact that you can't ski for the rest of the week. I have an annual policy too - expensive because extra cost for pre-existing medical conditions. No use to me now!
latest report
robs1 wrote:
I cant help but think when you see all the politicians that have caught it and proved by test there must be many thousands probably tens of thousands of normal folk who have had very mild or non existent symptoms and thus not tested, the chances of these great and good getting it and not us plebs is so small the virus must be far more widespread than official numbers

I think Germany is the country to look for to get the true death rate.
snow conditions
Looking at the Gernay death rate to ours, it would suggest any e 50 000 in the UK have it.
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, reckon there's 2 out of the 4 of us in this house have it as coughs and fevers have been all the rage since Wednesday. Given we don't know of anyone else first hand with symptoms, I'd be surprised if it's as low as 50,000 if you include those no symptoms.
snow conditions
If there was 5000 ten days ago and each one infects only one person a day on average then those 5000 have infected 50000 now sp the true number now must be pushing a million which is probably why the gov is cracking down on pubs etc as on a week we are going to see the serious cases being admitted to hospital, I reckon we will know by Easter how bad things will get here and deaths peak by the first week in may, got to pray they are less than italy
ski holidays
Wet wrote:
My insurers tell me that the whole resort closing isn't counted as "curtailment" for insurance purposes. They are a reputable company, but we are self-bookers, self-drivers and dont' have a "travel company" to turn to, which is what they are telling us to do.

Is this general for holiday insurance or can anyone recommend a good insurance company for skiing that does cover resort closure?

It looks as if our 2-elders annual European policy, taken out not long ago, is now basically waste paper - not sure if I can do anything about that Sad (Not really a good bog paper substitute either Smile )

If they have rejected your claim, you can approach the financial ombudsman service to consider it independently. It is free for consumers.
snow report
Thanks. Alas I think I will be stymied by the small print. I'll be reading other policies with interest to see how they deal with this kind of thing, but I suspect they mostly protect themselves ..

This was an unexpected situation only a few weeks ago.
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:
If there was 5000 ten days ago and each one infects only one person a day on average then those 5000 have infected 50000 now sp the true number now must be pushing a million which is probably why the gov is cracking down on pubs etc as on a week we are going to see the serious cases being admitted to hospital, I reckon we will know by Easter how bad things will get here and deaths peak by the first week in may, got to pray they are less than italy

It's very hard to tell. I know Germany has hadcextebsuve testing and their figures are erica Kyle the most accurate
latest report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
]
It's very hard to tell. I know Germany has hadcextebsuve testing and their figures are erica Kyle the most accurate

Erica Kyle? Is that rhyming slang?
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:

Looking at the figures sausage side (Germany) I note a high number of cases with relatively low death and recovery rates. They've got lots of people tubed up on oxygen then?
latest report
pieman666 wrote:
]

Yep, for sieg heil.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know so many people who have the right symptoms; 111 has told them they probably have it if they've called. Given the numbers of random celebs, politicians, sportspeople etc who are confirmed and presumably have access to testing that most of us don't, I'd say the numbers are indeed well into six figures if not more. I also know somebody who was tested a week or so ago (for research purposes, no suspicions) and was positive and seriously had NO symptoms. So on the plus side, it probably means the mortality/complication rate is a lot less than we think, but on the minus side, it means it's probably too late for most people to avoid it now unless they'd been locked up for a month.
snow report
@Gerry, yebut people don’t die the day they are determined to have the virus. You have to compare numbers that are 2/3 weeks apart. Then the ratio looks much worse.

It’s instructive to look at the daily rates for Italy:
https://covid19info.live/italy/
..then expand the CDR:daily to full screen an then select a log scale.

Deaths are still heading north at an alarming rate. Expect ~1000 per day by Monday and ~2000 by Thursday. At least the curve is starting to flatten - albeit slowly.

The UK curves seem to be about two weeks behind. The rate of increase might not be quite as steep but it’s difficult to be sure at the moment because our smaller figures are still noisy.

All very compelling support for the need for isolation, IMV.
snow report
https://www.euractiv.com/section/coronavirus/news/ischgl-oesterreichisches-skiparadies-als-corona-hotspot/
snow report
https://www.euractiv.com/section/coronavirus/news/ischgl-oesterreichisches-skiparadies-als-corona-hotspot/
snow report
Gerry wrote:
pieman666 wrote:
]

Yep, for sieg heil.

do many others in life think you're an idiot?
Sausage eaters and Sieg heil, what century do you think youre in?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 22-03-20 8:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Mother hucker, you have a really stupid name that only an idiot would choose.
snow report
Hmmm does reverting to childish playground name calling earn a block or just pity? Puzzled
snow report
Question: is it racist to blame Chinese live markets for the spread of this virus? Isn’t it just a fact? The PC brigade seem to be working very hard to deflect blame and rebrand this virus as a ‘something that was overdue anyway’.
snow conditions
New information helps answer my question for me.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Same if you couldn't ski because you were injured on the first run of the first day. They would meet the costs of the injury, insofar as their policy allows, but not the fact that you can't ski for the rest of the week. I have an annual policy too - expensive because extra cost for pre-existing medical conditions. No use to me now!

I have an annual policy through Insure & Go for me & the hubby, with extra cover for pre existing conditions for me (arthritis/back injury/IBD). Comes in easily under £100 a year. Have claimed twice for ski injuries & they have been great.

The cover for list passes & injury is included - “Q3 - Ski pack What you are covered for We will pay up to the amount shown in the table of benefits for a percentage of the cost of your ski pack (if you have already paid and can’t get the money back). We will do this if you are ill or injured while you are on holiday and you are not well enough to use it. You must get a medical certificate to prove that you were not well enough. A ski pack includes ski-school fees or ski-instructor fees, hired skis, ski boots and bindings, snowboards, snowboard boots and bindings, and the cost of any lift pass you have booked.”

And it works. Got taken out getting off a lift 3 years ago - they refunded everything left on my lift pass as the doctor gave me a not fit to ski note. Absolutely no quibble on that or my rescue/medical costs from the top of the mountain down to the medical centre in resort.
ski holidays
@motyl, can't park your left wing ideology?
latest report
motyl wrote:
Hmmm does reverting to childish playground name calling earn a block or just pity? Puzzled

i didnt bother responding to the comment, just didnt seem worth a dialog getting involved in.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy