Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona Virus + upcoming holiday

Poster: A snowHead
The ones I ordered were hospital grade.

BTW, watching the news, I think we can all agree... stay off cruise ships.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ski3, Are you 19 yrs old ? Take note of above ..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’m in Selva Gardena this week, on an Inghams package. We arrived on Saturday, came via Innsbruck and no border checks on the way here. I don’t speak Italian so I’ve not looked at local media but there’s absolutely no signs of anything amiss around here. People are cheerfully overcrowding gondolas, bars and buses same as usual and not a single face mask to be seen.

Yesterday morning I had a quick ski round the Sella Ronda circuit, which means I was in Veneto for an hour or so. Because of the my work has decided that I need to self-isolate for two weeks when I get home.

My wife and I both have bad colds that we had before we left the UK - I hope the coughing doesn’t get us any attention on the trip home.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m reasonably new here but why is such an obvious troll as this Stanton fella allowed to continue?

I have deduced from the small number of posts of his I’ve had the misfortune to read that he’s an extreme brexity Trumpkin, denies climate change, is anti vaccination and probably hates women, LGBT folks and Muslims.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Raptor23, Light touch regulation, free speech n all that. Works well if you have some self control with respect to trolling. Besides, I think you're wrong on all counts* bar the last.

(* I could be wrong coz I rarely if ever read his/her posts wink )

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 26-02-20 19:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Raptor23, You can set an individual Poster on 'Ignore' :: Find one of their posts, then click the Plus sign, just above the posters name, and tick the Ignore box..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Raptor23 wrote:
I’m reasonably new here but why is such an obvious troll as this Stanton fella allowed to continue?

I have deduced from the small number of posts of his I’ve had the misfortune to read that he’s an extreme brexity Trumpkin, denies climate change, is anti vaccination and probably hates women, LGBT folks and Muslims.

He's a troll but neither Brexity nor Trumpkiny nor I think a climate change denier, a xenophobic troll would be accurate though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Valkyrie, great report, good to hear there’s absolutely no signs of anything amiss.
Hope your colds get better though.

I am off to Madonna di Campiglio on Saturday after a great deal of thought (Trento region), anybody out there at the mo that can give us an insight as to what that resort is like?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am flying to Venice Thursday, 48 hours in Treviso and then to Arabba goe a ski safari. It is a 7 day trip. I am hoping I don't extended to 21 days. The area seems to be free of illness at this point. I will update from the ground.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowwatcher, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Have a great trip, stay well. If you get chance please say hello from snowHeads to the lovely staff in the Stube at Hotel Portavescovo. Best place in Arabba for a beer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Valkyrie, I'm in Canazei area; ditto. (Also via INN.) Restaurant which I was in tonight had annoying amount of coughing staff, and not a concern in the world. Nor, seemingly, has anyone else. Usual amounts of coughs and sniffles abound everywhere from the week's hoardes of visiting Italians and German speakers. If any of them have got anything, then it's going to be getting around: not that it's really unexpected news.
Bolzano has apparently put some restrictions down on general comings and goings, as they had 1 Covid case reported recently.

Hadn't realised how close we were to the Veneto region! (But it's only 1 village affected in that area, not too near us, I think.) At the moment, not sure that changes anything for us: we're just on the 'report if flu symptoms on coming back from north of Pisa' requirements.

(Also ditto the long-lasting sore throat, mildly irritated chest etc which came out with us both, btw.)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowwatcher, If on 'safari' you might be interested in these threads

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2494350&highlight=

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3212235&highlight=#3212235

(and not a sniff of Virus...)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BA have dropped flights into Milian due to lack of demand.

They have also opened up flexible rebooking options for those flying into most Northern Italy airports. I tweeted them earlier and they suggested I could change our flight to Turin to Geneva. Currently on the phone to them now to find out if that's actually possible.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe all of you are looking at this from an individual viewpoint rather than considering how you might affect the containment of this virus by travelling. It appears that it is transmitted to other before symptoms show. So you may end up bringing it back with you, pass it onto others in your family, local area. Some of those people might be high risk. Do you want that on your conscience if their outcome is fatal?
The Chinese appear to have contained it by putting the affected areas in lockdown.

If we act irresponsibly then we run the risk of a serious pandemic. No one has any immunity to this virus - apart from those who have recovered. No vaccine is available.

Think carefully.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@runkmc,
Quote:

It appears that it is transmitted to other before symptoms show

Not proven I don't believe...

Are you panicking?
snow conditions
FFS @runkmc, get some proportion!
The Italians have contained it "by putting the affected areas in lockdown" - and they've done so a lot quicker and more effectively than the Chinese did.

The 'affected areas' to which you refer are whole provinces in China but in Italy just a few small towns, none of which are ski resorts, or even near ski resorts. Or have you unilaterally decided* that all of Italy is the affected area? In which case, as I said above, you might as well write Europe off as an affected area like some in the US are calling for, as it makes no less sense.

*probably on the back of that idiot Matt Hancock suggesting on telly that everywhere North of Pisa is 'unclean' rolling eyes

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 26-02-20 20:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Iraq has banned its citizens from travelling to Italy.

I doubt the Italians will be 2 bovvered
latest report
admin wrote:
The Italians have contained it "by putting the affected areas in lockdown" - and they've done so a lot quicker and more effectively than the Chinese did.

The 'affected areas' to which you refer are whole provinces in China but in Italy just a few small towns, none of which are ski resorts, or even near ski resorts. Or have you unilaterally decided* that all of Italy is the affected area? In which case, as I said above, you might as well write Europe off as an affected area like some in the US are calling for, as it makes no less sense.

*probably on the back of that idiot Matt Hancock suggesting on telly that everywhere North of Pisa is 'unclean' rolling eyes

It's already gone to Tenerife from Italy. Where else? What happens when it gets to Africa or other regions with lack of healthcare facilities?
What happens when our hospitals - already full - have this to contend with too?
ski holidays
@admin, I would hazard a guess this is the fastest-growing thread on the site in a long time, or ever. Any sense of that?

Watching for more facts as my annual trip of a lifetime hangs in the balance. That said, with other folk's lives hanging in the balance, nobody needs to whip out the violins for me.
latest report
I have just got off the phone to BA.

They very easily and happily changed our flights from Turin to Geneva. Took about 5 minutes. Didn't cost a bean.

Very happy. Now to just decide to stick with Bardonecchia or explore somewhere else!
snow report
admin wrote:

Honestly not sure. Italy quarantined a few insignificant towns. But the problem and source of imminent European pandemic is Milan. New cases in last 24 hours in at least 5 other European countries were by Italians travelling from Milan or locals of country who had recently visited Milan. Quarantining Milan will hammer Italian economy. Honestly not sure Italy is doing this one 100% right
snow conditions
Respect to Ireland for cancelling Ireland - Italy. Public Health over money. They need to urgently take long hard look at Champions league. If there are multiple uncontrolled outbreaks in several different European countries by this weekend or early next week this thread will have very different tone!!
ski holidays
@peanuthead, outbreaks of what, a cold? ridiculous decision if you ask me.
latest report
@Bodeswell, are you actually being real?? You think this isn't serious??
snow report
The (informed) experts are already saying this cannot be contained. It will get everywhere and we just need to deal with it. Talk of shutting Milan Airport is about 3 weeks too late.
snow report
3 cases to 383 including 12 deaths and 35 in ICU in Italy in 5 days and spread to at least 5 other countries by Italians. Its not a cold man. We don't know the death rate (something very difficult to do during any outbreak of new disease). But it's likely well higher than 2%. Of cases with outcomes (I.e. recovered or died) the death rate is 8% in China, 15% outside China. Italy is the only country in Europe it's far where it's not under control. Let's pray it stays that way and comes under control there as soon as possible. Unfortunately it's not possible right now to even predict a few days ahead
snow conditions
@peanuthead, Yes, I am. And I don't think it's serious, no. It's a joke. This thing will have been around for ages now and it's all over the world. The only reason they don't know it is because they never test people for colds and flu.. I had 2 bouts of a dodgy chest flu and coughs in October and December. What's one more in the scheme of things?
snow conditions
@carled, think you're spot on there. Of course it is still worth applying all containment measures we can to at least slow it so health and other public services don't get overwhelmed all at once
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a job to know which are the more irritating posters - the panickers or the deniers.
ski holidays
As someone said earlier; I am fit and healthy and not at a high risk level but I have to balance that against becoming a carrier and putting others at risk...

I am off to Austria in three days time and think it is reasonable to rely on FO advice. This is in consideration of the fact that I will be returning to friends and family who, right now, might not be quite as healthy as me.

Bias dictates that FO advice is better informed than media hype.

Realistically, should I rely on the Foreign Office, the media or......
latest report
C19 is the world's most infectious disease this century.

Around 10-100 times more deadly than common flu.

Without the emergency containments since Dec, global C19 infections would already top 100 million people.

Drowning in your own lungblood while on a chairlift is no fun wink
latest report
pam w wrote:
It's a job to know which are the more irritating posters - the panickers or the deniers.

We've missed you on here My Dear... Your calming words of reason are well overdue Little Angel
snow report
PRIVATE EYE:

Number crunching

Issue 1516

1,666 - Deaths recorded as result of new coronavirus by last Sunday, according to World Health Organization

290,000–650,000 - Deaths from respiratory diseases linked to seasonal flu each year, according to World Health Organization

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 26-02-20 21:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
esaw1 wrote:

Realistically, should I rely on the Foreign Office, the media or......

... the Health Secretary Matt Handoncock who seems excellent (ish)

I would opt for your own instincts over any of the above
snow conditions
Have to say I am really surprised at the "flat earth" virulence of some of the responses here. There's an almost Brexit level discourse of shouting at anyone who expresses a rationally based opinion. Are people honestly suggesting at this point that the Italian's have contained it? Jury is FAR from out on that one. Or that this isn't a serious public health issue? I mean I don't think China is a country known for putting people's welfare before the economy's and yet they put in place a lock down on a major city.
latest report
peanuthead wrote:
3 cases to 383 including 12 deaths and 35 in ICU in Italy in 5 days and spread to at least 5 other countries by Italians. Its not a cold man. We don't know the death rate (something very difficult to do during any outbreak of new disease). But it's likely well higher than 2%. Of cases with outcomes (I.e. recovered or died) the death rate is 8% in China, 15% outside China. Italy is the only country in Europe it's far where it's not under control. Let's pray it stays that way and comes under control there as soon as possible. Unfortunately it's not possible right now to even predict a few days ahead

Nothing to back this up but I suspect the medical care provided in China and the prevalence of Eastern medicine may cause a higher mortality rate there.
snow conditions
@whitegold and @stanton absolutely revelling in this thread, stop feeding them folks
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
C19 is the world's most infectious disease this century.

Around 10-100 times more deadly than common flu.

Without the emergency containments since Dec, global C19 infections would already top 100 million people.

Drowning in your own lungblood while on a chairlift is no fun wink

What's the weather like in Minsk this evening comrade?
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
PRIVATE EYE:

Number crunching

Issue 1516

1,666 - Deaths recorded as result of new coronavirus by last Sunday, according to World Health Organization

290,000–650,000 - Deaths from respiratory diseases linked to seasonal flu each year, according to World Health Organization

As was posted by someone with a pharma background a few pages earlier, this virus is signficantly more infectious than ordinary flu. It is also more deadly once you get it. I think their analysis was both by a factor of two. This makes is significantly more dangerous than seasonal flu. The higher rate of infection means it could grow exponentially so the numbers you quote for season flu would be dwarfed.It may be possible to look at Wuhan and see what numbers died there and compare that to how many people die of flu their annually and extrapolate?
latest report
T Bar wrote:
Raptor23 wrote:

He's a troll but neither Brexity nor Trumpkiny nor I think a climate change denier, a xenophobic troll would be accurate though.

None of the above...your very strange with your personal attacks

I am just providing basic simple info on how to stay healthy and not waste money on products that will not work to protect yourself.....

Here in Austria there are currently 23 people quarantined ..the authorities acted very quick but there maybe carriers still out there

https://www.oe24.at/welt/Alle-Zahlen-So-breitet-sich-das-Coronavirus-aus/419000376

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 26-02-20 22:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy