Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona Virus + upcoming holiday

Poster: A snowHead
FWIW I think we will look back in several weeks and acknowledge it was a massive error not to close all borders with Italy as soon as it became clear there was a problem (I.e. last Saturday or Sunday). Amazing this still hasn't happened, but getting closer now to horse having bolted
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Italy now has 10 dead and rising every few hours and is in the grip of panic and plunging into recession.

Not sure I'd wanna be stuck in a cablecar of death with some dood and a runny nose.

Keep an eye open for the symptoms.

http://youtube.com/v/yzdeMZtLpJM?t=14
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Whitegold, that video is Iran you mong. rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Whitegold, that video is Iran you mong. rolling eyes

He doesn't care. He's the only one enjoying the panic. So yes, the more people panic, the better he enjoy the entertainment. He'll do all he can to help push the panic using whatever false information he could find.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Until insurance companies tell travellers are going to be compensated people will still travel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Italy, Iran... both flags are virtually identical, same thing right?! rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks pam and drporat. No fever(I’m cold more than anything). Just this blooming cough and runny nose. Sure (hope) I’m fine. Have given up in useless 111 so will ring surgery tomorrow. Bad timing as I’m going away at the weekend with family to scatter dad’s ashes and really don’t want to pass this onto poor old mum.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bambionskiis, i noticed that everytime I flew and opened the plane's ventilation system towards me, I would later catch a cold/flu. The last times I didn't touch anything and used alcogels before eating. So far so good.
Your symptoms are so far a basic cold.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It would be foolish to travel to the Tirol now. It is silly weighing up the risk when there is an unavoidable risk.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
erica2004 wrote:
It would be foolish to travel to the Tirol now. It is silly weighing up the risk when there is an unavoidable risk.

I understand your point of view although I don't necessarily agree. Under the same logic, it would be foolish to go anywhere that was previously visited by Chinese/South Korean/Iranian/Italian tourists.
The Tenerife and Innsbruck hotels as an example.
From my personal point of view, if more cases will be reported in Tirol I will definitely have to cancel an amazing ski safari trip
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's the problem and this is causing me so much heartburn because I reaalllly want to take this ski trip. I've been looking forward to it for quite some time and I'm about to lose my shirt in cancellation fees. It's going to be ugly. What scares me is not getting sick. Its this approach of "oh, there's one person sick in your hotel? All of you are quarantined? How long. Not sure." That's the big problem to me. If the statistics are to be believed, I am not worried about getting sick or getting severely. I am worried about getting quarantined, stuck or the like. That's the problem.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ItaloSkier wrote:
Here's the problem and this is causing me so much heartburn because I reaalllly want to take this ski trip. I've been looking forward to it for quite some time and I'm about to lose my shirt in cancellation fees. It's going to be ugly. What scares me is not getting sick. Its this approach of "oh, there's one person sick in your hotel? All of you are quarantined? How long. Not sure." That's the big problem to me. If the statistics are to be believed, I am not worried about getting sick or getting severely. I am worried about getting quarantined, stuck or the like. That's the problem.

All you can do is keep an eye on the ongoing advice and weigh up the risks and costs of Going vs Not going.

You also need to take a view on how far through this outbreak we are....is this the tip of the iceberg, or are we getting a handle on it? Personally, I suspect things are going to get worse, before they get better.

I'm afraid nobody has a crystal ball on this.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"I'm afraid nobody has a crystal ball on this."

That's just it. Nobody knows.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrgggghhhhhhhhhhh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ItaloSkier wrote:
What scares me is not getting sick. Its this approach of "oh, there's one person sick in your hotel? All of you are quarantined? How long. Not sure." That's the big problem to me. If the statistics are to be believed, I am not worried about getting sick or getting severely. I am worried about getting quarantined, stuck or the like. That's the problem.

Is that REALLY such an issue though? Granted if you run your own business in a specific niche where you need to deliver services in person being quarantined could really put a spanner in the works. Otherwise as long as there's an internet connection you can still work, learn, whatever, etc from a nice hotel in Italy almost as well as anywhere else. Probably with better food and coffee. Not THAT bad, is it?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just make sure you book yourself into nicest hotel possible for your quarantine. Simple.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
ItaloSkier wrote:
What scares me is not getting sick. Its this approach of "oh, there's one person sick in your hotel? All of you are quarantined? How long. Not sure." That's the big problem to me. If the statistics are to be believed, I am not worried about getting sick or getting severely. I am worried about getting quarantined, stuck or the like. That's the problem.

Is that REALLY such an issue though? Granted if you run your own business in a specific niche where you need to deliver services in person being quarantined could really put a spanner in the works. Otherwise as long as there's an internet connection you can still work, learn, whatever, etc from a nice hotel in Italy almost as well as anywhere else. Probably with better food and coffee. Not THAT bad, is it?

When you have your kids with you?
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, i am not discussing the odds of getting sick/dying.
Can you afford 14 days of quarantine upon returning? If the answer is positive and you have a provisional place for that scenario, then you can go.
Those are my thoughts, in my case I am afraid I don't have that luxury
latest report
drporat wrote:
@ItaloSkier, i am not discussing the odds of getting sick/dying.
Can you afford 14 days of quarantine upon returning? If the answer is positive and you have a provisional place for that scenario, then you can go.
Those are my thoughts, in my case I am afraid I don't have that luxury

One would assume that if they quarantine you, you don't have to pay for the hotel. I can theoretically work from anywhere so that's not an issue... mind you, I'm flying over from the US, not coming over from the UK so there are some complications from my perspective. And, again, having a family of four with two restless boys might be fun.
snow report
drporat wrote:
erica2004 wrote:

I understand your point of view although I don't necessarily agree. Under the same logic, it would be foolish to go anywhere that was previously visited by Chinese/South Korean/Iranian/Italian tourists.
The Tenerife and Innsbruck hotels as an example.
From my personal point of view, if more cases will be reported in Tirol I will definitely have to cancel an amazing ski safari trip

By that rationale nowhere is safe anymore. It defies logic to believe that a flu like illness can be controlled through quarantine. My guess is that it'll be cropping up everywhere pretty soon and will have to be allowed to work its course. Assuming it hasn't already been everywhere since before Christmas. There were loads of dodgy flu like/chest bugs going round October-Dec.
Unless people literally start dropping dead in the streets I can't imagine any major EU city being put under some kind of Wuhan style embargo, there will be a riot.
snow report
If you are really lucky, you book yourself into a 5*+ hotel for one night get quarantined for 14 nights and this get two weeks free. Always an angle.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Hmmm... so you're saying I could potentially run a Bash in Serre Chevalier from a nice hotel in Italy? Interesting prospect...
I mean, you're right in so far as, as lovely as Hotel de l'Europe is, the coffee is better at the Dufour Cool
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
If you are really lucky, you book yourself into a 5*+ hotel for one night get quarantined for 14 nights and this get two weeks free. Always an angle.

Don't get me wrong... there are worse places to be stuck...

https://www.anova-hotel.com/public/
ski holidays
@Bodeswell, hi there.
Nowhere is safe indeed. People flew to Tenerife and are confined to their hotel for 14 days. Not to mention the odds of actually getting sick with all possible complications (20% of the ones infected, if the virus won't undergo a mutation).
That's not a virus you want to work its course, it's way harder than the flu.
There isn't much we can do beside buying food and cold/flu drugs
latest report
admin wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Hmmm... so you're saying I could potentially run a Bash in Serre Chevalier from a nice hotel in Italy? Interesting prospect...
I mean, you're right in so far as, as lovely as Hotel de l'Europe is, the coffee is better at the Dufour Cool

TBF that would probably fall under the scope of needing to deliver services in person, but I bet you could find a way if you had to. Obviously a slightly different calculation if you're worried about missing a different week of skiing though, as opposed to giving up your only week to!

italoskier, I don't have kids but I can see how that might change the equation - though surely better to be quarantined with them than without them! Probably depends how old they are too - under 10 might be risky I guess.
snow report
@drporat, hi doc, hope all's well....when I say run its course, I mean eventually there will be a realisation that it can't be controlled through confinement and we'lll all just have to get on with it. Some will medicate, some won't even know they have it, and yes sadly, some of the vulnerable may die.
ski holidays
UK Gov has updated it's advice re travel to parts of northern Italy
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:

To expand and avoid any unnecessary speculation -
‘The FCO advise against all but essential travel to 10 small towns in Lombardy (Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano) and one in Veneto (Vo’ Euganeo), which have been isolated by the Italian authorities due to an ongoing outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19).’
latest report
Chuckles3 wrote:
red 27 wrote:

‘The FCO advise against all but essential travel to 10 small towns in Lombardy (Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano) and one in Veneto (Vo’ Euganeo), which have been isolated by the Italian authorities due to an ongoing outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19).’

These communities are all within 40 miles of Milan in Italy's industrial heartland. Even closer to large towns like Cremona and Piacenza The chances people living there not having already passed this bug on to others is about zero IMHO.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chuckles3 wrote:
red 27 wrote:

Well done, just beat me to it. Clarification of the department of health advice given earlier this morning!!
latest report
Bodeswell wrote:
Chuckles3 wrote:
red 27 wrote:

These communities are all within 40 miles of Milan in Italy's industrial heartland. Even closer to large towns like Cremona and Piacenza The chances people living there not having already passed this bug on to others is about zero IMHO.

Which is why the number of confirmed cases is increasing, but still seems to be limited (though not exclusively) to these particular quarantined towns. Next few days will be interesting to see if there's an explosion of cases in other regions or if the majority of new cases remain in the quarantine areas.
snow report
@jimmybog, We'll see, but to my mind trying to quarantine these towns is like doing the same to say half a dozen towns in Surrey and Berkshire and hope that people living here haven't been anywhere else or out of their house in the past fortnight. Not likely.
snow conditions
So, I have to admit to looking at different options for our trip this weekend.

Meant to be flying into Turin and then Bardonecchia. But considering either flying into Grenoble/Lyon instead or just heading somewhere else completely...like Andorra.

I think tomorrow will be the key day for information.
ski holidays
Bodeswell wrote:
@jimmybog, We'll see, but to my mind trying to quarantine these towns is like doing the same to say half a dozen towns in Surrey and Berkshire and hope that people living here haven't been anywhere else or out of their house in the past fortnight. Not likely.

I admit, very unlikely and some cases in other regions are linked to people who have travelled from the affected towns. But my guess is, authorities are trying to limit further contagion to areas outside these towns. Is that not what the authorities in CHina have done in Wuhan ?
snow report
Quote:

some of the vulnerable may die.

Indeed, and some of those who consider themselves invulnerable may die, too. A report from the American College of Cardiology noted that

Early case reports suggest patients with underlying conditions are at higher risk for complications or mortality from COVID-19; up to 50% of hospitalized patients have a chronic medical illness

Which suggest that up to 50% don't.....https://www.acc.org/~/media/665AFA1E710B4B3293138D14BE8D1213.pdf
snow report
Latest update on the Passo Del Tonale
Facebook page:-
*** IMPORTANT COMMUNICATION ***

In #pontedilegnotonale we keep skiing: the skiarea is regularly open and you can have access to the lifts, to the slopes and the services are guaranteed; the accommodation facilities are open and glad to welcome all the guests. We really care about the safety of our guests, which is our priority, and we follow the current ordinances of the Region Lombardia and of the Province of Trento. In this moment the situation is under control and our resort is not considered a risk area.
All the concerts of Ice Music Festival are confirmed. Accurate preventive measures will be taken in order to control and limit the number of people attending the event, as it is declared in the ordinances of the Province of Trento.
ski holidays
@ecureuil, masks are principally to help maintain the sterile field in procedures. They won't help you and they probably won't help anyone else.
latest report
Lot of people here seem to know so much about coronavirus. Statements like it cant be contained are not helpful. If you were chief public health officer in any country you would take exactly same measures they are taking now. This is significantly worse than influenza with a longer course, patients more sick, more likely to require hospitalization, ICU, and higher death rate. And it is more infectious. So it should not be sniffed at (excuse pun!). It is quite recently landed in Europe so I don't think the cold most people had few weeks ago was possibly coronavirus
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

some of the vulnerable may die.

Indeed, and some of those who consider themselves invulnerable may die, too. A report from the American College of Cardiology noted that

Early case reports suggest patients with underlying conditions are at higher risk for complications or mortality from COVID-19; up to 50% of hospitalized patients have a chronic medical illness

Which suggest that up to 50% don't.....https://www.acc.org/~/media/665AFA1E710B4B3293138D14BE8D1213.pdf

Well, yes, but there are many categories of vulnerability beyond those with chronic illnesses and hospitalisation doesn't equal death.
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:

Recent development in Tirol quite concerning. Situation will evolve over coming days.
ski holidays
@peanuthead, I think the geographical spread and total randomness of where this is cropping up is pretty indicative of the fact that so far it can't be controlled.
At the end of the day though we also need to be mindful that we are just having a chat on a forum. I don't need a disclaimer on my signature that my opinion is not meant to be taken as gospel.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy