Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How should I pick my skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm 180cm, 65kg. I consider myself to be an intermediate skiier, comfortable (at speed but not straight down) with pretty much all advanced trails at small hills under, say 1000 ft, and all intermediate and some advanced trails at bigger resorts (ie. Niseko, Chamonix, Bridger Bowl are the only big resorts I've been to, about 3000 ft). I've tried off piste before but they will be dedicated trips as the biggest local hill is 1000 ft. I'm reasonably fit for a slim guy but I doubt have strong quads. I'd like to improve my mogul game and explore powder when I have the opportunity to ski elsewhere.

I'm deciding between 2 pairs of Atomic Vantage skis because of deals,79 C @ 179cm (marketed as beginner-intermediate) and 90 TI @ 176cm (marketed as intermediate-advanced). From what I've read, the latter is heavier and stiffer due to the metal, so I might not have the weight and skill to drive them.

Given my stats and use of the skis, does it make sense to get the more advanced skis?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At your weight and skill level, my opinion is that you should (ideally) be looking at the 90 Ti @ 169 - maybe going to the 176 if you particularly like a longer ski, or ski a high percentage of Off Piste.

If you can, try them before you buy them....but if these are the only 2 options, due to being on offer and you want to make the saving - then I'd be looking at the 90 Ti (with the caveat that they are a little long for your theoretically correct length).

I'm much the same weight and height and a little more experienced....and find Scott The Ski works very well and is forgiving enough to be skied a little longer than the "ideal" (in your case, a 175). I ski it in a 180.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will the 176 TI be a bit harder to control because of my weight, strength, and skill? I don't plan to do much powder or bomb down the trails so you're right, I don't need the extra float or stability.

I don't particularly like longer skis either, so I'll see if the 169s are offered.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mochimochi wrote:
Will the 176 TI be a bit harder to control because of my weight, strength, and skill? I don't plan to do much powder or bomb down the trails so you're right, I don't need the extra float or stability.

I don't particularly like longer skis either, so I'll see if the 169s are offered.

I'm not sure I can give a meaningful answer due to the unknowns....I haven't skied on the Atomics and I haven't seen you ski.

The 176 will be a bit less nimble and a bit more stable.....It's a light ski, but has quite high performance. Personally, I'd be careful about sizing up.

Are you sure you shouldn't be looking at a narrower ski, if you are mostly skiing On Piste - say in the 78 - 84 (underfoot) range?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's is another pair on sale that's 79mm underfoot but they're the C line (carbon mesh) instead. Reviewers called them beginner to intermediate skis. I haven't been able to find narrower TI skis in a reasonable price for me. I was also hoping the 90mm all mountain width would allow me to go off piste if I were to take ski trips.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
90 underfoot will make Off Piste easier....and On Piste a bit more difficult (slower from edge to edge).

Do you have to go with Atomic?

You won't know for sure unless you try different options.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your hesitation with my choices gave me quite a bit too think about, and I really appreciate it.

I also found K2 iKonic 80 TI skis in 170cm which also seem to have positive reviews. I might go with those instead.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's no harm that you really think about what you want and where (realistically) you will be skiing.

You want a ski with enough headroom that will grow with you, as you improve - but not one that will make life difficult in a way that removes confidence, as skiing is all about confidence.

Being light, you want skis that are more on the playful end of the spectrum, that aren't too noodley.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mochimochi, the only way to attempt to give you the reassurance you're looking for is to hear what you liked about skis you have liked and disliked about skis you have disliked. Even then...

Fwiw I thought the K2 IKonic (84) was very easy to get to grips with. If you haven't tried the Atomic Vantage before, there is a bigger risk you won't get on with it, some rave about it though.

Nothing you've mentioned is an, 'OMG that's a beast of a ski.' A large number around this width are designed for people like you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two Skis that I would throw into the mix for you to investigate, that are light, playful and versatile:

- Scott Slight 83

- Rossignol Experience 84
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hold off and get yourself along to one of the Oktobertest sessions. Try skis, buy the ones you like the most.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The only skis in the local shop that have prices and performance that at within my level of acceptance are the 3 I listed.

The atomic vantage 79c in 179, which is advertised as beginner to intermediate skis, probably won't allow me to grow. Plus they might be a bit long.

The atomic vantage 90Ti in 177, which is advertised as intermediate to advanced skis, are probably too wide for what I do most (groomed piste), and if I were to go somewhere with great powder, I'll probably just rent at a local shop instead. 177 is also probably too long.

The K2 ikonic 80 TI in 169, which is also advertised as intermediate to advanced skis, are probably what will work best for my needs and my size.

I did take a look at 85mm underfoot skis that are a bit stiffer, such as the ones Fartbag mentioned, but unfortunately the quoted prices locally are way too high. The only ones that are reasonably priced are the atomic vantage 86c and K2 ikonic 86, which aren't that much cheaper than the upgraded atomic 90Ti and K2 80Ti that I'm considering
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are going to buy one of these 3 skis - My hunch would be the Ikonic 80 @ 169, which is the right length and sounds as if it is a suitable ski for your level.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mochimochi, I don't think you can go too far wrong in the piste/all mountain category - there are lots of good skis and few bad ones.
Where you could go wrong is in buying a ski that is too long for your stats & current ski level. I am a very similar size to you, possibly a bit higher up the ability spectrum and I'd think twice about skis much beyond 170 for your intended purpose. So +1 for @Old Fartbag's advice above, get the 169 Ikonic 80s and go skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy