Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Directions - Geneva to Moutiers

Poster: A snowHead
Just trying to work out my driving route for Friday for the EoSB (picking up a hire car from Geneva and overnighting at Moutiers before heading up to Val T on Saturday morning).

I've looked at the route planners on viamichelin.co.uk and rac.co.uk, but am getting conflicting advice:

Viamichelin recommends the long way round, staying on the A41 at Annecy and looping round to Chambery before heading East to Albertville on the A43 / A430.

RAC suggest the more direct route, turning off the motorway at Annecy and taking the N508 along the lake to Ugine then the N212 down to Albertville.

Bearing in mind I'll be leaving Geneva about 7.00pm, does anyone have any views on the pros and cons of each of these routes? Which way would you go?!

Cheers
Dave
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave Burt, as long as you are at Moutiers by 5.59am on the Saturday, I don't care which way you take! Wink snowHead Laughing

Drive Safely!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That allows Dave 11 hours, so he could probably stop for a five-course meal, a movie, a customised boot-fitting session and some star-gazing.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Dave Burt, I'd go along the lake, it should be nice and quiet and it's a scenic drive.

You can also cut off the motorway corner by going on the N201 through Cruseilles, just after you cross the border into France. More or less 6 and 2 3s but you might as well save the tolls.

I would expect GVA to Moutiers to take about 1hr 40 by that route if you stick more or less to the speed limit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's not a lot of difference between the two routes. I prefer the scenery of the Annecy trip, and as it should be relatively quiet I don't think that traffic will be an issue.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
brian wrote:
Dave Burt, I'd go along the lake, it should be nice and quiet and it's a scenic drive.

You can also cut off the motorway corner by going on the N201 through Cruseilles, just after you cross the border into France.

That route is very badly signposted. Ended up missing the turn off and going the long way round on the motorway on the way there and back.

I'd take the RAC route, nice and scenic. Why not just go straight up to VT? You'd be there by 10pm easily.
latest report
 brian
brian
AN02ZEJ, for future reference, it's a green sign marked "St Julien" shortly after the customs post.

btw, if you do miss it and follow the autoroute, don't be concerned by the fact that Annecy disappears from the autoroute signs for a while, it does come back Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AN02ZEJ, cause he's picking up a couple of us on the Saturday morning...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys - I think I'll plump for the scenic route.

Just wanted to check, as RAC has let me down before - recommended the direct route from Treviso to Arabba, which in reality was a 3.5 hour slog winding up and down mile after mile of narrow montain roads and passes, whilst viamichelin suggested the long way round, which we actually found to be at least an hour quicker when we took this route on the way back!

Wear The Fox Hat, while I hope to be in Moutiers at 5.59am on the Saturday, I hope to be fast asleep for at least another hour! Have been in pm contact with johno, and I think you, johno and Linds are meeting me at the Hotel Le Terminus at about 7.25am - should get us to resort in plenty of time to sort ourselves out and be on the first lift.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AN02ZEJ, and I've got nowhere to stay in Val T on the Friday night (hotels only interested in Saturday-Saturday bookings).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave Burt, I think Linds has booked a bus up, so it should be just you, me and johno (and our gear)

What time does the bar open in the Hotel?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave Burt,

Definitely do 2 things. 1. As you leave Geneve follow the signs to St Julien then go "cross country" to Annecy. Don't take the A40 dogleg through La Roche.

2. Go round the lake to Ugine.

In easy traffic, I reckon these two cut 45mins to an hour off "quoted" transfer times.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Best route from Geneva to Val d'Isere thread has lots of relevant info. Just remember to turn right about 60km before Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I second David Murdoch route as it is the one I take every time I go from Geneva to Tarentaise.

Immediately after leaving the Swiss/French border check point the first juction ( keep your eye open) off the mortorway is the one to "Annecy". It is a green sight.

The road to Annecy is just a straight contry road. Pretty wide and fast most of the way.

When approaching the build-up area of Annecy watch for "Abertville". You should go round the Annecy Lake anticlockwise. Going clockwise and you will end up in La Clusaz! The Abertville sight will bring you pass Ugine. The straight road through Albertville (no need to go into the town centre) brings you to a a rounabout and you should see Moutiers being the last exit.

Apart from a few stretches it is a single carriageway untill you hit Ugine, then dual carriageway all the way to Moutiers.

The road from Moutiers to Val T is a country winding road and should take 30 to 45 minutes. That is the road you need to pay respect, especially if there is snow on it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave Burt, been to La Plagne 5 times (you go thru Moutiers just the same), and the way saikee, and David Murdoch, is the way we've been the last 4 times. We took the motorway the 1st time, and it was about 45 minutes longer.
ski holidays
I dont think there is much diff between these routes. A local hotelier (Tignes), who frequently picks up guests prefers driving the longer motorway route saying that time wise its the same as the lake route, and he finds motorway driving less tiresome. Over the last 2 years i have done this trip 4 times using bith routes on 2 occasions and i have not made up my mind which one i prefer.Take your pick.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy