Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tool to create GPX files?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Guys,

I wonder if any of you know of a tool that I can use to create GPX files to then export them to my watch. But there is a catch; I want to create them using a slope map like this:
https://temakart.nve.no/link/?link=bratthet
Of course it's not 100% precise and we should assess the steepness once there, but it can give you an idea of which areas to avoid. The weather in south-west Norway has been really bad lately and we need to stick to safe terrain. I can draw lines in the map that I linked and just print it, but it would be awesome to have it in the wrist.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Auf englisch, bitte?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sep it's not having hill gradient, but with map with steepness gradient in different windown on side it can be somehow done. So personally I use for all my track planning (either ski touring or mtb riding in summer) https://ridewithgps.com, as it has options to switch different maps on the fly, but yes... no steepness map.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sep, could you not use Strava?

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sep, not sure it’s what your after but I use Fatmap and MapOut. Both are great for specific things, neither supports use with a Watch. In my experience maps on watches aren’t that useful, might just be my failing eyesight.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@primoz, Thanks. But yeah, I'm looking to create the routes based on gradient mainly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@marcellus, Actually yes! You just reminded me of my Strava years and I used to download other's people's GPX files to find new trails. I'm sure I can find some backcountry activities. But again, My goal here is to create them before even following them (and knowing the slope).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jbob, Looks like this is possible in Fatmap, still working on it. For me it's great to use the watch, because it's not about having the actual map there, just indications of which direction to go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sep wrote:
@marcellus, Actually yes! You just reminded me of my Strava years and I used to download other's people's GPX files to find new trails. I'm sure I can find some backcountry activities. But again, My goal here is to create them before even following them (and knowing the slope).

In strava you can, top right > create route and it builds the elevation profile as you go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@marcellus, it's not that. any tool creating track generates also elevation profile, but @Sep is looking for tool that has map of steepness gradient when creating track.
There's few non-free tools (like https://www.outdooractive.com/en/routeplanner/) and few, which are free but not really intuitive (https://is.gd/TkVjqS) so I'm sticking with RideWithGPS and gradient map on side.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy