Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FIFTY - Cody

Poster: A snowHead
He's a bit of a hero, that's for sure. Just hoping he stays safe and can do all 50... It's far from certain.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wiigman wrote:
He's a bit of a hero, that's for sure. Just hoping he stays safe and can do all 50... It's far from certain.

He comes across as a very humble bloke, something usually lacking in the ski movie ish industry! For me though, the decision making and process behind it is refreshingly sensible so hopefully he will stay safe. Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

He comes across as a very humble bloke, something usually lacking in the ski movie ish industry!

Was at kicking horse a couple of times for FWT week, so met quite a few top pros. 99% of them were super chill and friendly. There was only 1 I can think of that came across as having a bit of an ego. Maybe we are just watching different ski films, but I really can't think of any where they came off as not being humble.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boarder2020, come on, name and shame Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
swskier wrote:

I thought the same thing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't doubt that a lot of the other big mountain skiers are humble guys but their films don't necessarily show it. Often show them as more gung-ho. I can't recall many others that show more of the suffering to get to a line than they do of skiing it or show them turning back. There's plenty that show the climb. The humbleness in The Fifty to me is more about recognising the power of the mountains/weather and insignificance of the skier in comparison.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:

If he was actually being a d**k I would name and shame. It was more a case that he just came off very aloof and like he was a bit above being there. Although, he still signed stuff for kids and did some photos, so I can't say he was a bad person. Based on that, and the fact I was only in the same room as him an hour or so, it's a bit unfair to name him. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

Quote:

I don't doubt that a lot of the other big mountain skiers are humble guys but their films don't necessarily show it. Often show them as more gung-ho. I can't recall many others that show more of the suffering to get to a line than they do of skiing it or show them turning back.

Well they are mostly using helis and guides so not a lot of suffering and decision making often a lot out their hands. Also I suspect the editors/directors know what sells, the majority of skiers are probably not interested in watching he "behind the scenes" stuff. The just want the classic ski p**n film. High danger (even if that danger is engineered rather than the reality) also sells. If anything a criticism I have of the majority of films is that they don't show the skiers personality at all!

Cody's videos are more documentary style than classic ski film style. There are films like that - zabardast is my fav ski film of all time and definitely more documentary style showing some struggles and turning back. On YouTube you have people Nikolai Schirmer (very gung ho - you might even say reckless - but seems like a nice down to earth guy) and series like cham lines where guys are skiing the likes of Mallory Couloir and don't have any ego. You would probably also like the mediocre amateur guys.

I think it's a bit unfair to judge pros on the way their films are edited. Especially when most don't even speak in their films! But maybe I'm just not watching the same stuff. If you have some examples I'd definitely be willing to change my mind.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boarder2020 wrote:
swskier wrote:

If he was actually being a d**k I would name and shame. It was more a case that he just came off very aloof and like he was a bit above being there. Although, he still signed stuff for kids and did some photos, so I can't say he was a bad person. Based on that, and the fact I was only in the same room as him an hour or so, it's a bit unfair to name him. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

Quote:

I don't doubt that a lot of the other big mountain skiers are humble guys but their films don't necessarily show it. Often show them as more gung-ho. I can't recall many others that show more of the suffering to get to a line than they do of skiing it or show them turning back.

Well they are mostly using helis and guides so not a lot of suffering and decision making often a lot out their hands. Also I suspect the editors/directors know what sells, the majority of skiers are probably not interested in watching he "behind the scenes" stuff. The just want the classic ski p**n film. High danger (even if that danger is engineered rather than the reality) also sells. If anything a criticism I have of the majority of films is that they don't show the skiers personality at all!

Cody's videos are more documentary style than classic ski film style. There are films like that - zabardast is my fav ski film of all time and definitely more documentary style showing some struggles and turning back. On YouTube you have people Nikolai Schirmer (very gung ho - you might even say reckless - but seems like a nice down to earth guy) and series like cham lines where guys are skiing the likes of Mallory Couloir and don't have any ego. You would probably also like the mediocre amateur guys.

I think it's a bit unfair to judge pros on the way their films are edited. Especially when most don't even speak in their films! But maybe I'm just not watching the same stuff. If you have some examples I'd definitely be willing to change my mind.

I agree Schirmer seems like a nice guy to have a beer with but he is without question reckless. I've enjoyed his movies but I'd try to stop anyone from going skiing with him (even if they were good enough!). I'd be amazed if he doesn't die in the mountains TBH.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Latest episode now out - Polar Star couloir, and others, on Baffin. Best episode yet for me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Amazing lead by Viv.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will watch the new episode tomorrow. YouTube suggested me this video after Cody's most recent Comstock attempt. It's a year old so maybe it's been talked about already, but this guy is also going after the 50, and skied Comstock solo in a single day, which is pretty epic.
http://youtube.com/v/h7tPK91g648?si=TikEqGeGA6gwQAHm
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wowza!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Inboard wrote:
Latest episode now out - Polar Star couloir, and others, on Baffin. Best episode yet for me.

Not sure it is my favourite but certainly it is superb. Amazing that after 45 they can still produce a film that is engrossing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, it’s amazing that they’re still able to produce engrossing episodes. Bringing Vivian Bruchez into the mix really did it for me on this one. I enjoy watching Cody and Bjarne ski, but VB’s steeps technique was wonderful to watch. I want to do such effortless jump turns!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One of my favourites so far, certainly in a while. Really nice way to cover the whole trip and it just flew by. Viv seems to have an infectious love of skiing and the mountains.
ski holidays
What a shame they had to bash pegs into such a pristine environment
ski holidays
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
What a shame they had to bash pegs into such a pristine environment

Given that there are quite a few climbing routes on the big walls in Sam Ford Fjord & the Walker Arm (and the wider area) that made quite extensive use of fixed gear then one or two pegs doesn't make much difference.
The bigger gripe I would have is use of snowmobiles to get around in the fjord, when most previous ski expeds have used kites.

Definitely one of the best episodes yet though, with some great filming from Bjarne yet again.
snow report
Another great watch - bit of a different one to normal as they'd already achieved the line within 13mins of the film. I was wondering what they were going to do for the next 30mins. Loved them climbing and skiing the Model T line, that was immense. The Fiesta couloir was more about technical ski mountaineering, which is less my bag - the ski down didn't seem worth the climb up to me.
ski holidays
Don't think this has been posted. Cody in a different role:

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/films/here-hold-my-kid
snow report
Just in case this hasn’t already been posted somewhere on Snowheads ….

http://youtube.com/v/i2DHDCP1N_4
snow conditions
Interesting read

https://www.skimag.com/athletes/cody-townsend-should-quit-the-fifty/
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Interesting read

Really interesting read - and interesting the writer views over-confidence and a willingness to risk a line (because he's invested so much in getting there) as a weakness of Cody. I've always been impressed by the opposite, the fact that Cody isn't willing to risk his life, no matter how much he's invested in the walk in. And his honesty that he isn't a mountaineering expert.

However, I do agree that some of the remaining lines are really dangerous and hopefully he doesn't feel the pressure to complete the 50, when actually finishing at, say, 48 would be the right thing to do.
snow report
I have Alan Hinkes book "8000 Metres Climbing the World's Highest Mountains"

It was interesting that at the start he had strong opinions on people taking too much risk and having summit fever.

He didn't even set out to do the 8000's but as he did got through of them deciding to commit to it and I felt as he got further in, the more risks he took and his initial views got compromised.

On a much smaller scale as I've got more competent and confident skiing off piste I can feel myself mentally pushing to do bigger/more gnarly lines. It's a fascinating mental conundrum.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Interesting read

I get the principle of the article but it is a bit click-baity for me. Deliberately provocative for the sake of getting traffic...
latest report
Yes, I saw too. Sierra (ex of Powder mag) who runs the show at Ski is normally pretty good at managing get traffic vv taking the Michael, but I see they are taking some heat on this one via Insta/socials etc rolling eyes
latest report
It’s a weird article. It sounds a bit like a slightly begrudging old timer but the writer appears to be younger than Cody Puzzled
snow report
Arno wrote:
It’s a weird article. It sounds a bit like a slightly begrudging old timer but the writer appears to be younger than Cody Puzzled

FWIW: I have skied with the author (Matt Cote) a couple of times.
One of my best friends used to a share a house with him (2005).

He is a proper career ski bum in early 40s rather than office-based journalist.
I don't think he is just creating click bait or being wilfully inflammatory for the sake of it.

Rather I think he is, perhaps clumsily, making several smart points:
i) the danger of list ticking
ii) decision making when doing stuff for social media.
ii) objective risk increases when you are at peak of athletic powers and doing risky routes.

Hopefully his prophecy about Cody Townsend never comes to fruition.
However, I wasn't entirely surprised when (say) Andreas Franson passed away.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:

ii) objective risk increases when you are at peak of athletic powers and doing risky routes.

I don't think there is any pushback or disagreement on any of these points. It's the way he chose to make them that didn't sit well with me. I'd say clumsy at best!

ps. Just read the comments on SkiMag insta post - I don't think Elyse is a big fan of the article Laughing Laughing Laughing

ElyseSaugstad wrote:

This click bait title is abhorrent so it doesn’t even matter that the article takes a positive spin on why it’s ok and probably a good thing if Cody doesn’t finish the Fifty. Yes, your tactic of generating eyeballs on this post by using a repugnant title is working. But boy is this distasteful.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Damn - way to go Elyse!
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Arno wrote:

FWIW: I have skied with the author (Matt Cote) a couple of times.
One of my best friends used to a share a house with him (2005).

He is a proper career ski bum in early 40s rather than office-based journalist.
I don't think he is just creating click bait or being wilfully inflammatory for the sake of it.

Hopefully his prophecy about Cody Townsend never comes to fruition.
However, I wasn't entirely surprised when (say) Andreas Franson passed away.

Still think Cody is an odd choice. I'm with the crowd who find the prudence on display in The Fifty rather heartwarming. He isn't a headbanger. Nikolai on the other hand...
snow conditions
I think it would have been interesting to talk through these issues with Cody. The tone of the article (which may not have been intentional) feels a bit like Cote setting his stall out as some sort of authority on risk taking in the mountains which, notwithstanding @Haggis_Trap’s context, doesn’t seem to stack up (I’m sure he’s got lots of experience but not necessarily more that Cody)
latest report
jedster wrote:

Still think Cody is an odd choice. I'm with the crowd who find the prudence on display in The Fifty rather heartwarming. He isn't a headbanger. Nikolai on the other hand...

For sure....
Though give the level of risk involved you wouldn't be entirely surprised to read of Cody Townsends passing in the mountains.
That is not to say he isn't making good decisions - rather its comment on risk which comes with high altitude glacial terrain.

If the project does become a 5 year stale mate waiting for conditions then what better ending that not skiing the last line?
One of the key messages of the project obviously being that the journey of more value that the destination / list.
snow report
wiigman wrote:
Damn - way to go Elyse!

More than reasonable...

ski holidays
That’s a very dignified response from Cody, I’d love to meet him one day, I think he’s a pretty down to earth awesome skier with a pretty switched on brain.
ski holidays
It's worth adding the writer often does not write, or select the headline... In fact it often pisses us off, just like the reader, when it's, er, not quite right for the piece/feature. Who knows in this case, but worth bearing in mind re Matt Cote.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
That’s a very dignified response from Cody, I’d love to meet him one day, I think he’s a pretty down to earth awesome skier with a pretty switched on brain.

One of the good guys for sure. Interviewed him x3, and he always makes time and is both interesting and thoughtful. A lot of fun too, even down the phone from God knows where. A huge inspiration for so many. Heroic.
snow report
@wiigman, you got links to the interviews? Hell of a humble brag, nice one Smile
ski holidays
It's funny when I was on the family Christmas trip to Paradiski riding up in a lift one day I thought to myself "I would love to show Cody some of my favourite lines around here". I don't know why. I guess watching his films I just thought he would be a great skiing companion.
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
jedster wrote:

For sure....
Though give the level of risk involved you wouldn't be entirely surprised to read of Cody Townsends passing in the mountains.
That is not to say he isn't making good decisions - rather its comment on risk which comes with high altitude glacial terrain.

If the project does become a 5 year stale mate waiting for conditions then what better ending that not skiing the last line?
One of the key messages of the project obviously being that the journey of more value that the destination / list.

But I'd say the risks he takes are moderate by keen (not top end pro) alpinist standards?
snow report
@jedster, to some extent on the way up (I’d think alpinists would often head for ridge lines rather than open snow slopes because the climbing is more interesting and there’s less objective danger). alpinists would at least rope up for the descents so id see that as less risky?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy