Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski school - Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks - some help please!

After looking at the Morzine webcams we've decided to go to Austria for a ski week - end of Feb. Not much better but the Pleney looks awful and the valley very, very green. I'm sure other areas will be ok...?

Anyway - a week in Mayrhofen it is.

We have two confident beginners with us so we need some recommendations for ski schools please - ones you've used recently and are pleased with.

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What you need to know is that the ski schools all meet up the mountain-if staying in Mayhofen itself, it will the top of the Penkenbahn Gondola -so you need to factor in getting to the bottom and getting up. Unless you have already booked there are more beginner friendly resorts out there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The ski schools on the Penken will do a pickup (or at least used to) from the bottom of the Penken lift, 9am I think , but you'll need to get to the top for the first day.
My kids were very happy with SMT , but there are others.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hamish wrote:
The ski schools on the Penken will do a pickup (or at least used to) from the bottom of the Penken lift, 9am I think , but you'll need to get to the top for the first day.
My kids were very happy with SMT , but there are others.

I think the pick up is for kids only so if the beginners are adults they have to make their own way there. In a resort where you can walk to the meet point you can plan timings better.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks folks.
Already booked Mayrhofen - they'll be fine. I've promised to take them to the Harakiri (sp?) run... they can take a look from the chairlift!

Looked at SMT so that's reassuring - they do ski packages - boots / skis etc. I shall email them re meeting point

Thanks again!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I stand corrected - just assumed they were kids.Smile
It appears to be that Mayrhofen has been chosen so choice of resort is gone , so the choice is between top of Penken or Ahorn.
Ahorn is great for a day, bit not sure I'd want to limit it to the whole week (if you want to meet up) so you'd be better of using one of the schools on the Penken.
so that's Habeler, SMT or Ski Pro. don't know which is best for adults .
Still fairly simple to meet up at the Penken - its just 100m or so to any of the meeting points from the top of the Penken lift.
If I'm reading the OP wrong then apologies (but I'm a fan of Mayrhofen anyway so would still recommend it)
<edit>
waited too long before clicking send and you'd replied.
SMT is fine, can't comment on their ski hire.
Unless your hotel is very close to the penken lift (or you're planning to go to other resorts in Zillertal) look at hiring a locker - search Brundl Mayrhofen,

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 18-02-20 15:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Two grown-ups (ish).

Ahorn is, as you say, great for a lazy day. Nice ice bar if it's sunny.

Run back down to town looks awful at the moment. Can't see that changing anytime soon! Handy for the apres bar (Bruck / straddle / stradel / stadl?).

I'm hoping they'll progress enough to take them up the glacier at the end of the week - they're quite keen and the glacier slopes are, if I remember correctly, wide open reds? Odd steep bit but they'll cope...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have been to mayrhoffen many a time ( must be 5-6 times ) most years with beginners ... not had issues with any of the ski schools , but SMT were pretty good .
I would actually suggest that the penmen has a lot for beginners , with a good nursery area and blue 28 a good place for to gain confidence , albeit at times a bit crowded and as they progress the run that's number eludes me but is a blue that runs round the bowl area

Ahorn is great , but for beginners there is only one run and they won't see as much of the mountain
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again folks.
Last time we were there we stayed in Mayrhofen and had a guide - he took us up the glacier in his 7 seater car. Not so lucky this time... Is there a ski bus that does this run? If so - does it stop at the Penken lift?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@shockingmoment,
Green line bus.
Here you go..
https://www.mayrhofen.at/en/service/timetables/
https://resc.deskline.net/documents/1/ZIL/ab39a70e-3faf-4235-a4cd-c400e7563f23/Fahrplan.pdf?download

Stops somewhere on the High street near the Penken I think but can't remember exactly where
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hamish wrote:
@shockingmoment,
Green line bus.
Here you go..
https://www.mayrhofen.at/en/service/timetables/
https://resc.deskline.net/documents/1/ZIL/ab39a70e-3faf-4235-a4cd-c400e7563f23/Fahrplan.pdf?download

Stops somewhere on the High street near the Penken I think but can't remember exactly where

Bus stop is about 100/150 metres down the high street from the Penken gondola, in the direction of the railway station, same side as gondola outside a chemist and opposite Hotel Manni. We caught the 820 in mid Jan and it was full by the stop after the one on the high street. It comes from the railway station before the high street stop so catch there if you are down that end of town.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy