Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva advice needed - ski pass, lessons, buses, etc

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to go to Selva (or possibly Santa Cristina) in mid December. There will be my husband and I, both confident all mountain skiers, with a 3yo who may 'have a go' at skiing plus a 8mo baby. We're bringing along the grandparents, partially for baby sitting but also want them to have a magical wintery holiday. They are non skiers, never been on a winter holiday, but have both expressed a vague inclination to try it out, in a low key way. My sister in law and partner will also be coming, sporty and fit but new to skiing, although I suspect they'll enjoy the apres scene more! They like to party.

My questions:
Location- I've assumed central Selva would suit the mixed group best, easy access to sella ronda for us, large beginner slopes at resort level for everyone else to have a go/spectate easily? If SiL and partner do take to it, then I guess they'd need to head to plan de gralba? Toddler and grandparents unlikely to progress beyond the nursery slopes.

Ski buses - I hear that they're not great? How easy is it to get from Selva to plan de gralba by bus? Are they regular? Or would we need to factor in hiring a car? Equally, are there buses to Santa Cristina, if they wished to ski the blues on Seceda?

Lift passes- on the val gardena website they mention a 'multiple day transferable ski pass +20%' for parents with a child under 3yo. Details are sparse but it seems to suggest that two parents could share a pass if they pay an extra 20% of the pass price? This would be ideal. Does any one have any information on this?
Also, what is the extent of the local Val gardena local ski pass? Would it include plan de gralba? I can't seem to find a list of lifts or a map showing the local lift pass extent.

Ski lessons - which are the best ski schools in selva?

Christmas market - anyone visited the Christmas market in selva? I'm hoping its atmospheric? Thinking it would be a nice late afternoon activity one of the days? Where is the market located?

Spa/pool/gym - the grandparents are keen gym and pool goers. Where in Selva has a decent little pool and gym that might be open to non-residents? Where is a good spa?

WC downhill - it seems we're going to be in the area when the WC downhill races are on. Any tips about where is best to view the races (probably briefly as toddler not likely to want to hang around for hours)? Where would there be a lively apres scene for my SiL to get stick into on race day?

Toddler friendly activities - are there any little gems to keep toddler amused? Dogs/reindeer? Santa? Sledging area? Snow garden? Kids pool?

Mountain restaurants readily accessible for non skiers? Are there any huts directly at the top of a gondola with good food and views that might wow the grandparents? It'll be their first time in the alps in winter.

Sorry for the big list of questions. Any other tips including best pistes, cafes, etc always welcomed.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sadly a 20yr Selva veteran. wink I'll address all Qs later, but I'd forget St. Christina. Go for either Ortisei or Selva, there will be way more for the non skiers in both.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can answer a few:

Yes there is a great beginners area at back of Selva that is great for having a go, learning and easy for spectators to get to- has a few pomas. Lots of hotels have mini busses that will drop you at top of this area (just near Danterceipes lift). There's also 2 little reds accessed from pomas near Danterceipes that aren't really reds (like lots of Italian reds) so great for progressing.

Had a lesson there on my brief foray into snowboarding. It was also when learning to board we attempted to get the bus to Plan de Gralba- ended up the only 2 people on the bus sat in a bus station- it only went half way! Another person was stranded too so we ordered a taxi - wasted most of our afternoon. I'm sure if we read the bus timetable more carefully we might have got the right bus- there weren't that many though.

Busses up and down the valley are more reliable Selva to Ortisei. This includes Santa Christina. Alpe de Suisi would be great for blue skiers too - they can easily get bus and others can ski there via saslong.

There is a restaurant at top of Danterceipes- not been in it. Don't think there is one at top of Ciampanoi. there is one at Alpe de Suisi at top of main gondola from Ortisei and that has great views on a sunny day. Ortisei is a nice place for non skiers to have a wonder about- stayed there for a week this summer. There is a big hotel there with a huge outdoor pool but no idea if open to non residents.

Lots of great days out in different directions from Selva- whilst its good to do the Sella Ronda to say you've done it you probably wont want to do it more than once and easily covered in a morning. Its the busiest part.

Hope this helps Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a restaurant at top station of Dantercepies gondola (might be a small trudge on snow at the bottom of the gondola).
There's a self-serve restaurant at top of Selva gondola on Ciampinoi, that also does the worlds largest custom made pizzas (share 1 between at least 3).
Think there's another restaurant at top of Piz Sella at top of Plan de Gralba Cable Car (but the better one means walking down/up a piste, so better on skis).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Getting a Bus to plan de Gralba -- Bus from Selva stops at the Plan parking place, get off and walk (a few metres) back to the main road, where there is a Bus stop to take you the rest of the way to Plan de Gralba ; there may be direct busses.

Beginners start on the Nives nursery slopes (in the Selva village), as they progress they start using the slopes at Plan de Gralba.

"Also, what is the extent of the local Val gardena local ski pass? Would it include plan de gralba? "

Plan de Gralba is included in Selva pass

Public swimming pool in Ortisei : ice rink in Selva
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from Ortisei, I can't speak for buses within Selva but the bus services to, from & within Ortisei were excellent for us.
Never been a huge fan of bussing but they worked well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are only a few a day, but there are busses that will take you direct to Plan De Gralba.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar wrote:
Just back from Ortisei, I can't speak for buses within Selva but the bus services to, from & within Ortisei were excellent for us.
Never been a huge fan of bussing but they worked well.

T Bar did you per chance, ever catch a ski bus from Ortisei centre to the Saslong Gondola or Monte Pana Chair in St Christina? Ski bus map does show a route that goes to both but doesn't give a bus number or name of the service. I know the other ski bus from ortisei to Selva goes through St.Christina, but it only stops up the hill near Hotel Dosses or near the roundabout next to Hotel Posta. Both these stops would require a walk to both lifts which i would prefer to avoid. Thx
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jimmybog, We caught busses back from both places however we usually started the day by going up Seceda. The only time we started elsewhere was from Selva. I think the number was 352 but slightly confusingly there was more than one 352 route.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The liveliest valley bar I found was the Luiskeller in Selva, very Austrian apres ski in atmosphere, also the Piz Seteur which is by the piste down to Plan Gralba.
For race viewing go to the Saslong mid station to view the racers over the "Camel's Humps" jumps, there's a restaurant there, right by the Saslong piste. Alternatively the finish area in Santa Cristina, though you might need tickets for this. Bear in mind that race weekend will be busy and there will be noisy ski fans, some drunk.
Because it's race weekend 18th/19th Dec., accommodation will get booked up very quickly, get onto it now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Selva probably best suits your requirements. There are restaurants at the top of both Dantercepie and Ciamipinoi lifts for oldies. The Alaska is a good viewing point for the nursery slope.

Alpe Di Suisi is a plateau above Ortisei, it'll be perfect for all inc. oldies. You can book a horse drawn sleigh for them up there. We've done it with the Wife's parents.

The Curona hutte on Seceda is the best hut in the area period. . Say hi to Werner from his 'Brother' from Cornwall. Smile

Use Autosella taxis (mini bus taxi) rather than buses. Euro 14 per trip, split throughout a group, it works out cheap and mega convenient. Buses are a pain.

https://www.scuolasciselva.com/en/ Not the yellow ski school.

Yes, Plan is well within the local pass, Selva area pass ends at Passo Sella. I'd go for whole area Superski passes.

Hotels Aaritz, Gran Biata and Sun Valley have pools. No public pool.

Oritsei has street nice markets and shopping. Pretty village.

St. Christina village to watch men's downhill.

Alpe Di Suisi for kids activities or Selva Ski School has 'Selvi Club'

Hope this helps? Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 18-02-20 23:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jimmybog, I have caught a bus from Ortisei which stopped at the Funicular/bottom of Saslong run before going on to Selva - no idea of the number.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks T Bar and Albob. I thought i posted a reply earlier but must not have pressed the send button. I found the bus that stops at saslong. It is still the 352 but one that leaves 2 minutes later than the 352 that goes to Selva. Confusing or what. The later bus ends at Saslong but then immediately returns to Ortisei and its first stop then is monte pana gondola Station. Took me ages to figure it out!! Now i just need to find out if my seiser alm guest card (which includes the south tyrol mobilcard) can be used on the 352 service or if the 352 only allows the val gardena guest card. Otherwise ill need to pay!! Bit annoying considering ill have already purchased a ski pass which covers both seiser alm and val gardena. All good fun!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bus service is maddeningly confusing. Better to rent a car, take ski taxis or stay within walking distance of Nives area.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all, plenty of useful information given. We've found a couple of accommodations in very central Selva and likely to book this week. We'll make use of the taxis rather than relying on buses or faffing with car parking.
ski holidays
@carettam, Excellent. You'll love the town.

Honestly the car parking is not too bad. In past years when we stayed outside of the center we found it easy and cheap to park at Dantercepies, Plan Gralba, Col Raiser, Ortisei (for the Alpe di Suisi lift) and Monte Pana. Under 10 euros a day. Even this year we drove to Ortisei rather than take a bus or ski all the way 'round.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy