Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wide feet problems - 112mm wide , size 27 ski boot help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am a new skier. One of the main issues I always had was terrible pain on the outside edges of my feet so I never really stuck with the sport. Recently my gf finaly pushed me to learn, which I did over few days skiing in Austria.
I am currently using Nordica Sportmachine 100 (102 last) expanded, in the bootfitter words "as much as safely possible". This has made foot pain tolerable and I no longer feel like fainting after an hour of skiing. Still, to get proper control where I can ski reds, I need to fasten top buckles and the strap brutally (and need to unbuckle on the lift and take boots down during lunch). One thing I do like is the heel fit on these Nordicas.
Ive been told by 2 bootfitters (independently of each other, one from Prague, other in Dorfgastein in Austria) that maximum of what they can in my case achieve with stretching of a standard boot is "compromise" or "max 7/10," and that to get optimal result I am one of those people who needs custom Strolz boots. My feet are 111-112mm wide, standard instep, small ankles, smallish (maybe standard) heel - "Very special feet" were the exact words...
I am inclined to believe them (austrian guy in dorfgastein really seemed to know his stuff - he spent a lot of time with me explaining and trying various things) however before i spend a 80% of my country average monthly salary on a pair of ski boots, Id like input from people here, who maybe have experience in dealing with wide feet. Does any easily stretchable very wide boot (but not huge volume) come to mind?
If I go for Strolz what should I look out for?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your wallet
@Rej,
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rej, welcome to the madhouse (sorry Snowheads) if your foot is 112m wide, and you are in a 102mm lasted boot (which is 104mm in size 27.5) then the fitter really only has to stretch the boot around 8mm, this is a very normal amount to have to stretch a boot for a wide foot like this. couple that with fact that when your foot is supported properly on a well made footbed that it will be marginally narrower, and that every foot can tolerate some degree of compression, unless there is something else going on with your foot i really can't see why you would need to go to the strolz (were either of these fitters strolz re-sellers by any chance?)

first thing i would check is your ankle joint range of motion.... if this is restricted by either your calf muscle tightness or a bony blockage at the ankle from an injury then this can cause your foot to function wider than it really is, the foot abducts (turns outwards) and that "amount of compression that you can tolerate" goes right out the window, as the foot is rotating into the side of the boot and it feels like it is being crushed in a vice.

where are you based, i might be able to suggest someone who can assess this properly and get you skiing in comfort
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm just wondering if the need to strap the boots so tightly suggests an issue with technique - one training drill involves skiing with boots undone.
The important bit of boot fit is that the heel should be snug. If your feet are wide then I expect there isn't any sideways movement across the ball of your foot.
If your feet are not average, then it's worth investing in boots which fit. And, everything CEM just said snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm no boot fitter, with information from me anecdotal.

Very similar sizing to the OP, 27.5 / 114mm foot, nordica boots. Also with high instep. Boots pushed out for both width and instep volume to reach shape required.

Experience is as @CEM, states, foot stabilization with good bespoke footbed made alot of difference to get the adjustments to work together. Had them a long time now without any problems skiing but probably coming to replacement soon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies, I am based in Prague.
Ive tried the boots undone drill. it certainly helped with my technique right at the beggining. My heel is snug when it comes to sideways movement, but if I dont buckle top buckles very hard (so much that my feet get noticeable reduced bloodflow), it has tendency to go up and down just a little when skiing what I would call "hard".
As for footbeds, I have 2 off the shelf ones. Neither of them is wide enough, my feet "overflow" to the side. Havent found wider ones.
The boots have been widened and feel better, but it still is not wide enough. I get pressure and tingling from the side, its tolerable though. The work done was in Austria on a ski trip. Iam back in Prague and I intend to take them to a bootfitter based in shop where I bought the boots to see his opinion.
Instep doesnt seem to be a problem at all.

Ive uploaded some photos https://imgur.com/a/r6w9gZn
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rej, good quality thin compression socks can take another 0.5-1mm off the width of your feet , I have similar issues but manage well with a descent food bed and good socks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rej, do you have your lowest two buckles on the loosest possible settings?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rej wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I am based in Prague.
Ive tried the boots undone drill. it certainly helped with my technique right at the beggining. My heel is snug when it comes to sideways movement, but if I dont buckle top buckles very hard (so much that my feet get noticeable reduced bloodflow), it has tendency to go up and down just a little when skiing what I would call "hard".
As for footbeds, I have 2 off the shelf ones. Neither of them is wide enough, my feet "overflow" to the side. Havent found wider ones.
The boots have been widened and feel better, but it still is not wide enough. I get pressure and tingling from the side, its tolerable though. The work done was in Austria on a ski trip. Iam back in Prague and I intend to take them to a bootfitter based in shop where I bought the boots to see his opinion.
Instep doesnt seem to be a problem at all.

Ive uploaded some photos https://imgur.com/a/r6w9gZn

there is nothing to unusual that i can see about that foot, alweays difficult to tell without actually doing the assessment , i think you need to continue the search for a boot fitter, there looks to be nothing more needed than good stabilisation and a fairly hefty lateral border stretch
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy