Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

We made it! Almost 4 years on...

Poster: A snowHead
Well... I've been feeling a little nostalgic this morning. I haven't checked into Snowheads for a few years (it's like a confession!) so I thought I'd scroll back through my posts and messages. Boy oh boy how things have changed. My son was only 8 years old and I was looking at ways to be able to live back 'home' in France... plotting and devising schemes that could keep keep me in work AND find somewhere to live! I followed advice, did my research and eventually said ƒ€¶• it! I'm off. Emptied my house in Blighty... rammed my VDub as full as possible... checked with all parties involved that we were 'good to go' including kiddo and kiddo's dad. Bang... we were gone.
I can't say it's been easy... as a single mum with minimal capital... but we did it and are still here.
I didn't end up in resort... as I wanted something inbetween with good activities and social life in summer... near to the airport etc. We've end up on Annecy Lake. Grand Bornand and La Clusaz... and darling Manigod are our local resorts. We get the lake and hot summers... and mountains and ski. Best of both.
Boy Wonder has ditched skiing and now boards only heading for the resort club either next year or the following.... and rocks up and down the pistes on his own or with his mates. We stay in touch via phone and meeting points! I never thought that would happen with my now 13 year old! He's now in a public college and completely bilingual... taking great delight in correcting me the little so and so!
We're not restricted to local... as we've a great village club/association who heads further up the mountains every Sunday. Last week was Courch 1850. Glorious day for us both albeit long.
There's been many surprises along the way... money being the biggest! Damn it's expensive. From fuel to taxes ... and being self employed is more punitive financially than I ever imagined. The health care is good... though if we want full cover it's another pay out for a top up insurance.
Hey ho... I wouldn't change it! Life is good and I'd be happy to share my knowledge/experience/journey if anyone needs a helping hand or a ruddy great nudge!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@alyefs, what a great, great post! Congratulations! Very Happy I love Annecy, and is somewhere I thought of as a place to retire to when we got too old for our house in the Vaucluse, but it ain't one of the cheapest places to live, for sure! Sadly, the whole dream of living in France didn't work out for me; I try not to feel too nostalgic about that, not always successfully.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@alyefs, Great post and a great story. Glad it’s worked out for you. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alyefs, lovely to hear things are going well. I've been in Austria now for more than 2.5 years. How time flies.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@queenie pretty please,
Quote:

I've been in Austria now for more than 2.5 years

Crikey! Where did that go?!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurtle, in the blink of an eye!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Hurtle, in the blink of an eye!
And I happen to know - not because I speak much German, but because the word appears in Brahms' German Requiem, in a wondrously onomatopoeic way - that the German for that is Augenblick. (sorry, way o/t)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
@queenie pretty please,
Quote:

I've been in Austria now for more than 2.5 years

Crikey! Where did that go?!!

Nice going!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geepee wrote:
@alyefs, Great post and a great story. Glad it’s worked out for you. Very Happy
Cheers Geepee... not out of the woods yet! Still hurtling towards the horrid horrid carte de sejour application.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love a good news story! We left in December 2014 and haven’t looked back, first 4 years in a resort in France and since 2018 in Zurich.

You have my sympathies on healthcare - it’s eye watering here!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Congratulations @alyefs. You've done the hardest part. Good luck with the carte de séjour.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@alyefs, congratulations, sounds amazing! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Congratulations @alyefs. You've done the hardest part. Good luck with the carte de séjour.
Thanks! Yah... that bit's messy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very jealous. Living by or near Lake Annecy isn’t a bad compromise.. wink .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
very jealous.. well done... lovely to see how those who make the jump get on
snow report
Best place in France!!! When I was driving from GVA to 3V was amazed by beauty on Annecy Shocked
ski holidays
@alyefs, well done. I once considered to retiring to Annecy or nearby. Mrs a advised me that of course I could go - but she wouldn't be with me. We are still together, and Mrs a was absolutely right in our circumstances - but I can certainly see what tempted you, and I am glad it has worked out. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy