Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brits abroad

Poster: A snowHead
DaddyLouLou wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
That's brilliant, I've never heard it before.

Haven't you seen My Fair Lady?
not for a very long time. Was the line in there, then? (The one I always remember is, 'the French don't care what they say, so long as they pronounce it properly'. So true.)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There seems to be a lot of intolerant people on this site. If thay are not complaining about chairlift etiquete its now the wrong kind of accent.

Just enjoy your ski holiday. We are a lucky lot who can afford this kind of thing don't get wound up by small stuff.

We are currently in St Anton, there are Brits here as well as loads of Germans and Dutch and Scandinavians. Everyone seems to be getting along just fine.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis wrote:
Some years ago, Mrs A and I were cycletouring in southern Portugal. (Blimey, it was hot!) We got as far North as Evora where we heard shouted across the campsite in a very Essex accent: "Oi, Lisa! Where's my tea - I'm 'ungry". It's been a household saying ever since.

Yeah, except you literally just made that up because nobody in Essex would say they want tea when they’re hungry. That’s just a daft northern thing. Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bodeswell, “Oi, one would soon be partial to supper” would it be? wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My sister overheard a class example of both Brummie accent and Brummie humour in a local sports shop. Mother to small girl who was fiddling around with the archery equipment "Put them arrers down Tracy. Yer gonner need yer oyes fer yer holidays". Having worked 5 years in East Kilbride I became quite good at deciphering what was going on. Lots of fabulous examples of humour. My favourite was one evening when I was leaving the office late, having borrowed a barbecue from a colleague. I was walking out with its big box under my arm. The security guard on the desk... "Can ye no' bring a piece like everyone else?".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:
martinm wrote:
OI, wot's wrong wivva West Country accent ? Very Happy

There's nothing wrong with any accent - It's People, not accents, that are the problem.

I agree. I wish I'd never mentioned the accent thing! I've spent quite a bit of time on chairlifts etc today and the shouty people are invariably Brits. Some of them are a bit posh, some not. That's all.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jw83113,
Quote:

There seems to be a lot of intolerant people on this site. If thay are not complaining about chairlift etiquete its now the wrong kind of accent.

I'm more concerned about chairlift etiquette...accents rarely cause injury snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I wish I'd never mentioned the accent thing!

But you did. Cat out of the bag. I know my joke contribution was nothing to do with Brits abroad. It was about celebrating the great variety of our regional accents and humour.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The OP

Brits abroad

Its a kinda of disease?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w,
Quote:

"Put them arrers down Tracy. Yer gonner need yer oyes fer yer holidays"

Must've been a posh Brummie if she sounded the h in 'holidays' wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I wish I'd never mentioned the accent thing!

But you did. Cat out of the bag. I know my joke contribution was nothing to do with Brits abroad. It was about celebrating the great variety of our regional accents and humour.

Last year, there were shouty Brit kids on the skibus here - they were posh kids - so I'm not sure what your point is. My original point seems to have got lost along the way somewhere, maybe too many feathers ruffled.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
The OP

Brits abroad

Its a kinda of disease?

Well who'd have ever guessed that the stanton would turn up here. Like a tapeworm living in stront, the parasitic troll.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@caughtanedge, you seemed to be suggesting Brits abroad are stupid. How ridiculous.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB, great pic. As a Brit, I would have been proud to have been part of it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Alastair, much cosier

than some mountain wear.
latest report
@PeakyB, I could hide my physique in the first but not the second. Very Happy
ski holidays
caughtanedge wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
martinm wrote:
OI, wot's wrong wivva West Country accent ? Very Happy

There's nothing wrong with any accent - It's People, not accents, that are the problem.

I agree. I wish I'd never mentioned the accent thing! I've spent quite a bit of time on chairlifts etc today and the shouty people are invariably Brits. Some of them are a bit posh, some not. That's all.

I'm prepared to bet that those shouty "Brits " were from "south britain" .

This is the crossover point between this thread and the Scottish independence thread.
latest report
Here is an American perspective on English-language accents:
I like Scottish accents, love Irish accents, and think most other UK accents sound ridiculous. A neutral mid-western American accent sounds best to me. But I readily admit it is entirely dependent on what we are used to hearing. But that's not really what interests me.

Why did everybody in the UK start speaking differently sometime after 1800 or so? Hear me out...

Hundreds of thousands of English citizens settled in North America between 1700 and 1800. As most of us remember from school, they thought of themselves as British colonialists. Throughout most of that time there was no discernible difference in accent between English speakers on either side of the Atlantic. Americans and Canadians very quickly spread to all corners of the continent over the next 100 years and developed slightly unique accents. But none of the various North American accents sound similar to British English, with the closest being the Boston or Maine accent (which also happens to be the closest geographical connection).

So if the accents diverged so recently, how did they become so distinct? The only explanation I can come up with is that something happened in the UK to encourage people to speak differently - maybe more like the upper class?

In North America, all accents sound more alike - even between different countries - than any of them do with British English. And since the countries are so large and central governments were weak in those days, there was no dominant, unifying force on language. So it seems unlikely that all North American accents would have independently drifted away from British-English. It seems much more likely that Americans speak a form of English that is comparatively closer to what was spoken 200 years ago, and sometime in the past 200 years, British English drifted away.
ski holidays
Gotta love Madness. They’re not songs, they’re social vignettes! Wink
snow conditions
I only have to open my gob fer yoozlot to know I'm a Yank Confused
latest report
Masque wrote:
I only have to open my gob fer yoozlot to know I'm a Yank Confused
Rubbish. Not sure why you don't write in English, however.
snow report
Bodeswell wrote:
altis wrote:
Some years ago, Mrs A and I were cycletouring in southern Portugal. (Blimey, it was hot!) We got as far North as Evora where we heard shouted across the campsite in a very Essex accent: "Oi, Lisa! Where's my tea - I'm 'ungry". It's been a household saying ever since.

Yeah, except you literally just made that up because nobody in Essex would say they want tea when they’re hungry. That’s just a daft northern thing. Laughing

This needs to end now...!!

Tea is a drink!!
Supper means you're brain-fkd by BBC period dramas.
It's fking dinner ffs!

E.g:
"Oi Lisa! Where's my dinner? I'm hungry!"
"Dinner is in the dog! Now fck off you tw&t!"

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@altaski8, contrary to your supposition I feel regional accents happened because people did not tend to move around in Britain for the longest time where as in America everyone just sloshed around with many accents and other language speakers homogenising most quirks, although quirks seem to return in less visited isolated pockets.
So no! Speaking septic is not how Britain sounded two hundred years ago.
BTW what is with a large proportion of aspirational American women that they have to speak through their noses?
It drives me ‘king potty...much more so than vocal fry...but that’s another thing....
snow report
@AL9000, you seem somewhat over-excited.
snow conditions
@Hurtle,

Wit [Hurtle], yfel willa yonder êow ðanc reordian ðæge pro . . . is that "English" enough for you . . . or shall we add a half millenium to Chaucer?

We speak with a bāstard tongue, often mistaking verbosity for knowledge Embarassed I enjoy using vernacular it takes me to warm memories and quiet places, of times never to be repeated . . . it help to soften the hardship of loss.

It's why Dave Sheasby, Peter Tinniswood and so many Norf Country writers wrap language around life, making us laugh at the sad and cry with the joy . . . without our differences we would not be England and neither of us would have the sources of our differing pleasures . . . each to our own 'pet', be it Norman French or Viking Danish.
latest report
@Masque,
Quote:

yoozlot

OK. Perhaps you can locate that word for me?

I'm not against the use of vernacular as such (it has helped to establish a convincing hinterland for many great literary characters) but I think that like, any literary device, it should be used with discrimination. And all writers do well, if a real editor is unavailable, to have a notional editor's red pen to hand
snow report
Interesting article on accents and dialects here.

As for the assertion that tea is just a drink. The concept of Afternoon Tea (drinking tea with sandwiches and cake) became an upper class thing in the 19th century to bridge the gap between lunch (around 12) and dinner (around 8pm). The working classes couldn't have their tea until they left work so had tea when they came home often with their hot meal. This is often referred to as high tea (allegedly) because it was taken sat in the high chairs around the table rather than in the lower lounge chairs.
snow conditions
Breakfast, dinner, tea, supper. Anything else is just plain wrong.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tarrantd, I am not upper class, but I still take tea or some other beverage, with or without a biscuit, at around tea-time - le five o'clock as the French endearingly call it. I also call the meal in the middle of the day lunch and the evening meal either supper or dinner, depending on how elaborate it is. As a child, I was aware of the use of the term 'high tea', which denoted a meal you had in the late afternoon in the expectation that neither supper nor dinner would be forthcoming, but it's ages since I heard the term used. I was not aware of its derivation, thank you for providing it.

As thecramps has just illustrated, location also plays a part, not just class.
ski holidays
@thecramps, +1
ski holidays
@thecramps, @GlasgowCyclops, what's the boundary for this usage ie how far north?
ski holidays
@Hurtle, I'm not sure, but i think it's midlands ish. I had friends at uni from Wolverhampton and they both said Tea was the evening meal, but I lived in Leamington Spa, and they mostly called it dinner. But Leamington is more upmarket, so that may be more down to demographic than location. What do they say in Wales?
snow report
Originally from Derbyshire, definitely as @thecramps describes. Although the midday meal can also be described as 'snap', which I think comes from miners taking pack-up to work in a 'snap' tin. Dinner refers more to a cooked midday meal, i.e. Sunday dinner.
ski holidays
What a flippin' minefield!
latest report
@Hurtle, indeed...and we've done it to death several times
latest report
Dinner is at 12 or 1 tea is at 5 or 6 simples
latest report
thecramps wrote:
@Hurtle, I'm not sure, but i think it's midlands ish. I had friends at uni from Wolverhampton and they both said Tea was the evening meal, but I lived in Leamington Spa, and they mostly called it dinner. But Leamington is more upmarket, so that may be more down to demographic than location. What do they say in Wales?

I grew up in Leamington and it was always Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner (as kids we would have tea - around 5 o'clock I guess - instead of dinner).
snow conditions
Does 'supper' feature anywhere in the Midlands or further north?
snow conditions
@Hurtle, only as a bowl of cereal, a bag of chips or cheese and crackers before bed
latest report
@Hurtle, occasionally, but (for me at least) with the connotation that it's a smaller meal consumed later than dinner - maybe if you missed dinner time while driving somewhere you might have supper after arriving.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy