Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jack wolfskin jacket - is sth wtong with DWR?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I purchased a few months ago a javk wolfskin chilly morning jacket and I have used it for a while now. I even had it reproofed with nikwax tx. Here is what I am observing:

I take the javket, i run a small streamnof water or splash water on jacket, I csn see the water slides off it or there are beads of water, but it does not sink in. All good.

Now I go out in medium rain in London, ehich is basically small droplets from time to time falling on you, not a downpour. I go for a 10 min walk and I can see there is plenty of drops of water on javket and some wet patches. Here is an example photo I attach:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cstlo0wxo0ge9mv/2020-02-15%2015.11.01.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kl6ys2qcwr5veo/2020-02-15%2015.12.34.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3s8xi80m648tcn/2020-02-15%2015.54.35.jpg?dl=0

Obviously the jacket is not wort 1000 pounds but it is supposed to be waterproof. Or is dwr not working for a misy/tiny droplet rwin really? As said, streambof water does not leave a drop, onlynthe drops that stay on jacket for longer semm to sink in...

Should I speak to jack wolfskin about it?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bear in mind that DWR is a coating that goes onto the waterproof fabric and makes it hydrophobic it doesn't do the waterproofing itself, it is designed to help the jacket shed some of the water before the waterproof membrane in the fabric does the heavy lifting. It also slows the process of the fabric "wetting out" which is what you are seeing where the outer layers of a waterproof fabric absorb some moisture. This generally doest make the jacket less waterproof but it will erect breathability. "wetting out" of the outer fabric isn't confined to cheaper jackets the most expensive Grotex Pro Jacker will still see this happen but not as quickly.

As you have also observed "wetting out" will happen much faster when the rain droplets are of a very small size mist/fine rain or remain sitting in one spot of the jacket for a prolonged time.

Your jacket is still waterproof, its just the outer layers of the waterproof fabric are absorbing a bit of water.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So based on your answer, the jacket is absolutely fine?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bober02 wrote:

Does your clothing underneath the jacket stay dry?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
bober02 wrote:

Does your clothing underneath the jacket stay dry?

Yes, there was no issue there
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bober02 wrote:

I would say that the jacket is fine, as long as your clothes under the jacket are staying dry.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just had it re-proofed, and did another test, under running water all seems fine, when I drop some drops of water on a sleeve, they wet the material in most places a bit...

I had a quick comparison vs brand new Spyder GTX ski jacket that I purchased, that one even for small drops it beads and does not wet at all... Seems like Spyder uses better material?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy