Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April Skiing on a tight budget

Poster: A snowHead
Snowtrex worth a look as well.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mikeycharlton wrote:
Klamm Franzer wrote:
geoffknight wrote:
@jimbobM, I saw some Sunweb deals that included Ski hire for sub £250pp, add flights and car, plus the differential in food costs, if your really keen to make it less than £1k, cos you would be eating at home.

That will also include the lift pass!

They always include lift pass. I think geoff was highlighting the fact that it also included equipment.

Ta Mike, I was!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jimbobM, Discounted offers of accommodation and lift pass starting to appear for April from local tourist offices in France, Chatel, Les Carroz, and many others. If you are happy to organise yourself booking direct with tourist agencies or local estate agents can save quite a bit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pendodave wrote:

Austria is great for this sort of thing, as there are lots of small hotels who are perfectly happy to offer variable length stays. It's also easy to travel to the resorts by public transport throughout the week, meaning that cheap flights can easily be used away from the weekends.

Yep. Just had a look on sky scanner and you could get a flight from London to munich for £90. But would need to add a hold bag to share.

The bayern train pass will get you to Austria for 34 euros (family/group ticket would cover you both).

Public bus transfer from trainstation to resort 5E/person

Small airbnb so u can prep lunches for the hill and cook in the evening

Lift passes are often discounted late season, and you could do 5 nights instead of 6 to save cash
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mikeycharlton wrote:
@jimbobM, have a look at at Isola or Auron. Flights to Nice should be cheap. (I'm going in March and have paid £60 return)

Kids lift passes are free in April. Adult ones are approx 150 euro.

Transfers on the bus from the airport are 1.50 euro each way. Yes 1.50.

Should be able to get a studio for 300 euros.

Flights will be key. If you can find cheap ones, the rest can be done very cheaply as explained above.

I make that 228 euro pp for accom/transfers/lift pass. Add on say 100 euro pp for ski hire = 330 euro.

That leaves you quite a bit to play with for flights. So yes doable for under 1k total.

That sounds really good will take a look at that Have you been there before in April ? was the Snow still good then ?

cheers
jim
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another option might be skiweekends.com as they've just announced a big sale across all dates. They do both coach and flight packages, with coach being cheaper if you're really keen to save money. I went with then to Morzine, but can access higher slopes in Avoriaz if snow is poor lower down.

Sunweb is also a good bet but I don't think you'll benefit from waiting to book with them. If you see a good deal, book it. La Thuile looked like good value from what you posted.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks carettam

yeah La Thuile I thought did look good, flying into Italy seems much cheaper. the only issue there i could see was the lack of public transport to la thuile from Milan Airport... from what i can find out hiring is the only way to go. Im a bit unsure about car hire ,, been ripped off in the past

ill check out ... skiweekends.com
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jimbobM, ripped off i what way? what are you not sure about?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skola wrote:
pendodave wrote:

Austria is great for this sort of thing, as there are lots of small hotels who are perfectly happy to offer variable length stays. It's also easy to travel to the resorts by public transport throughout the week, meaning that cheap flights can easily be used away from the weekends.

Yep. Just had a look on sky scanner and you could get a flight from London to munich for £90. But would need to add a hold bag to share.

The bayern train pass will get you to Austria for 34 euros (family/group ticket would cover you both).

Public bus transfer from trainstation to resort 5E/person

Small airbnb so u can prep lunches for the hill and cook in the evening

Lift passes are often discounted late season, and you could do 5 nights instead of 6 to save cash

hadnt thought of munich ..... thanks for your info !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
@jimbobM, ripped off i what way? what are you not sure about?

Hi, when i got to the destination I had to pay a load more money, cant remember exact details it was a while back

Can you recommend a car hire company ? Is the insurance option they offer worth it ?

cheers
Jim
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jimbobM, I can't recommend anyone in Italy., I use Autoeurope and pick the cheapest. DO NOT TAKE THEIR INSURANCE. Get a stand alone excess policy from Insurance4carhire - much cheaper.

things to watch out for:

1. winterisation included or extra?
2. full to full fuel
3. limited KM or unlimited mileage?
4. upgrade you don't want - refuse it
5. cross border charges - about €30 if it is chargeable
6. satnav - take your own or use your phone

all extra charges should be in the T&C.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
many thanks ! upgrade... I think thats where i went wrong last time ! cool thanks for your info , a great help Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jimbobM, you are right to be wary of car hire, those feckers are shysters. But with a bit of nouse you can get by as per @holidayloverxx, advice.

Europcar would be recommendation (best of a bad lot).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any chance of finding two others to go with you? This halves the cost of car hire/drive-down and of any self-catered accommodation. Perhaps someone in your extended family, or someone your son knows at school? A small apartment might be what.? around £1100 that week? In a group of 4, that's £550 for you and your son and similarly with car hire costs. Just a thought.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Laughing Laughing

cheers ! Love this forum... so much great info !! only bad is .... all this talk of skiing makes me want to go !! ....And Go Now !! Laughing Laughing

Its my Birthday today... this time last year I was in Pejo ......roll on easter break... fingers crossed the snow holds

cheers
Jim
snow report
LaForet wrote:
Any chance of finding two others to go with you? This halves the cost of car hire/drive-down and of any self-catered accommodation. Perhaps someone in your extended family, or someone your son knows at school? A small apartment might be what.? around £1100 that week? In a group of 4, that's £550 for you and your son and similarly with car hire costs. Just a thought.

yeah thats a good call .... been trying and will continue to, but not found a match yet Sad

cheers
snow conditions
@jimbobM, start a thread about it - you might get someone
snow report
Is there a skiing tinder equivalent app?
snow report
Very Happy Laughing Laughing
do i have to upload a picture ?

Very Happy
snow report
Perfectly doable in my opinion

Check out the resorts where you can get reduced or free lift pass for your son.
Go for smaller resorts like Grand Bornand or La Touissiere as the lift passes are cheaper but in April you may need to go "high"
Airbnb/Homeaway for accomodation
Look at "non ski" airports - Venice is usually cheap with Ryanair or Lyon, Turin, Milan then hire a cheap car - if you won't be taking a packed lunch then Italy is cheaper on the mountains
Travel midweek
Self-cater and take a lot of the food with you - we take breakfast, lunch and 4 or 5 dinners - I take pasta, rice, wraps, meat, ham, cheese, butter, tuna, tinned veg, cook in sauces, cereal, jam, tea, sugar, hot choc, cake mix - seems mad, but I find it much easier to have the meals planned and its amazing how much you can spend if you don't take them with you and have to use a mountain supermarket. I only really buy drinks, fruit, milk and bread in resort. If you do this make sure the accomodation has microwave and an oven! if it has an oven the supermarket pizza is another cheap night!
latest report
Car hire - I normally use Quidco to get cashback and usually book through Rentalcars - this year though jet2.com car hire was about £100 cheaper, and last year we flew Ryanair and their car hire was cheaper than Rentalcars.

In April you are very unlikely to need snowchains, but in some countries they are compulsory. Some insurers include them - e.g. through Ryanair a week from Venice is £85 for a small car including the chains.
snow report
thanks skimummk.

I was trying to avoid putting a bag in the hold ... but the 'taking food with you' idea has got me thinking ...cheers jim
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@jimbobM, I can't recommend anyone in Italy., I use Autoeurope and pick the cheapest. DO NOT TAKE THEIR INSURANCE. Get a stand alone excess policy from Insurance4carhire - much cheaper.

things to watch out for:

1. winterisation included or extra?
2. full to full fuel
3. limited KM or unlimited mileage?
4. upgrade you don't want - refuse it
5. cross border charges - about €30 if it is chargeable
6. satnav - take your own or use your phone

all extra charges should be in the T&C.

Turin airport:

Maggiore car hire
I booked through rentalcars.com. Maggiore added 300euro in extra insurance onto my policy without asking me. On my copy it was blacked out. On their copy it was in Italian and in very very small font.

Gold Car (first time)
Added ski rack hire, chain hire, additive to my policy despite me opting for non of it when booking on rentalcars.com . From the experience above I went through it like I had OCD - despite a queue behind me. Called them out for all the stuff and they took it all off. The said it wasnt listed on my rentalcars.com booking confirmation that I didn't want it etc... complete BS.

Gold Car (no issues)

My advice, if you rent a car in Italy - be super anal about the paper work. Don't rush.
snow report
@jimbobM, no not been in April, although the resort is high. 90% of the slopes are above 2000m and scheduled closing is mid April which is on a par with the majority of other resorts.
snow conditions
UCPA (Action Outdoors) still have some family week places! You can do accommodation only for £450-£470 in Les Deux Alpes, Chamonix or Sierre Chevalier, which includes accommodation, food, lift pass, ski hire. Just need to get yourself there... can pay a bit more for airport transfers.
latest report
<£400 each but that's with four in one car and with no gear rental (and 5 years ago):

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115764
snow report
@jimbobM, off the beaten track is probably your best bet. So, I'd suggest Stansted->Lourdes->Bareges, which'll have a cheaper lift pass than the Alps. If you're set on The Alps then I'd drive to a s/c apt in Avoriaz (see maeva.com).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy