Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confidence after a fall

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from 2 days skiing in Gressoney - was really good. However, on the first day, I had a really bad fall. I fell and then went backwards, resulting in banging my head on the slope. My head lunged backwards. Anyway, the next morning, I woke up with a really sore neck (although I have never had whiplash, I would say it might be similar to what people experience). Anyway, I went skiing again on the 2nd day, but was really apprehensive and really quite shaky about skiing. I was literally terrified of falling. I don't know if it was just my imagination, but I felt that, after the fall, my technique was very bad. Is this because I was a bit shaken? My other half says that it looked as if I was skiing fine after the fall, but I know different.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The problem for you is that you only had 2 days skiing and usually, after a bad fall, it takes a few days to get over it. It will now be a long time to your next trip and I reckon by then you will have forgotten todays worry.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, You had a normal reaction to your first "serious" fall. It'll be fine after another couple of days skiing - get yourself along to that new snowdome near you, or try to pop up to any of the Scottish resorts for the odd day before the season finishes - seems like the snow's fab, and you're only about 2.5 hours drive away!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know just how you feel jb1970, (RE: 'lost my bottle' thread) I did something similar at christmas. I took the advice of fellow snowheads - got myself onto a dry ski-slope and had a practise with a very sympathetic instructor and then got back on the piste in February. I can't say that I was firing on all cylinders but I took myself round on runs that I was happy to be on and just practised the basics. At the end of the week I felt confident enough to ski from Lannersbach across to Myerhofen (not blacks but I'm sure that anyone who has done it will agree that they are pretty challenging reds in places). Anyway, when I got there I was shaking like a leaf, had one major panic on the way (good job I could traverse onto a less icy/steep run!) but I made it to the pizza place in the bowl by the boardpark. Pizzas are excellent!

I wasn't sure if I even wanted to ski again ever, so don't worry just take yourself off to a lesson or two, practise the basics and I'm sure you will enjoy it again. Take it at your own pace, after all 'enjoy' is the operative word here! snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the old saying "get back on your horse" comes to mind here. A dry slope, although I would not normally go near one myself, or a snowdome which is probably much better would be a good idea. If you wait until next season your apprehension may just grow worse during the long wait. Make sure you are fully recovered physically first though.

One of the reasons you felt apprehensive when you skied again, could be because you were still feeling the physical injury and that in itself can make you nervous, because you don't want to fall and aggravate it. So much about skiing is about being able to relax and you probably felt tense with the result that your movements did not flow as they should.

You can do it.

Good luck.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When I found I was loosing confidence, and felt I had a technique problem, I booked myself a week's dose of easiski. It worked. That said, I agree that just getting back on your skis will help.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a similar experience i was in Oz funny that where i live...anyway a kid ajusted his bindings not noin what he was doin and fell from a drop he didnt eject fell forward and broke both his shins...altho it wasnt my accident it put me off for a day or so but ull get over it...its skiing poo-poo happens
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
*NITRAM*, that sounds really nasty.

jb1970, I can only agree that getting back on helps. I've only skiied the one week, and had a fall on the second day, banging the back of my head on an icy piste. It took me a day to get over it. I'm sure you'll be fine next time Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep...I'd agree: get back on the horse (planks) and I'd also suggest getting a helmet.
I don't want to reignite the helmet debate but a degree of reassurance should be of help here, and it sounds as if reassurance is what you are after.

My wife had a major fall this year...and this was the year I finally got her to wear a helmet. She really gave her head a good whack, without the helmet I am sure that it would have ben some concussion at least. With the helmet there was some neck discomfort, but no lasting harm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

With the helmet there was some neck discomfort, but no lasting harm.

same thing happened to me, really solid whack onto the piste with my head. Very stiff neck for a coupla days, but no worse. I was wearing a helmet. They say it can make whiplash worse, and you can see why - your head does stop kind of suddenly! But that must be better than using your skull's ability to crumple in order to protect your neck! The impact has to go somewhere.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My helmet has saved me from 3 or 4 nasty whacks on the head from chair lift bars this year. I kid you not Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Similar thing happened to me when i was a teenager. Being cocky over a jump I landed badly, fell and smashed my goggles, cutting my nose (I still have the scars!) To make things worse the next day I fell at speed whilst schussing and had a major nose bleed (it was in the 80s - and my mittens were white, nice!) It felt like the falls really knocked my confidence and technique for the next few weeks. I think that is why even now I'm a pretty cautious skier.

But don't worry - it'll come back. Have a few lessons so you can concentrate technique, and do lots of confidence building skiing within your comfort zone and you'll soon get it back.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lorraine, wow someone else noticed the amazing pizzas too!!!
was it the big happy chef? i was over there for a week with seasoners and as i like a bit of park i was in there everyday and those pizzas are actually amazing. hitting a kicker straight afterwards totally not advisable though! and yeah i skiid those reds and they were really challenging in some places especially when the snow was pretty bad after a few days with no fresh stuff and no snowmaking!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy